Then and now, we must not stoop to enemies' level

Full story: Stamford Advocate

While watching the debate between President Obama and ex-Vice President Dick Cheney on the punishment of prisoners of war, it brought back some memories of my World War II experiences.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
CTYankee

West Haven, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2009

Judged:

As A Retired Army Veteran and a SERE (Survive, Evade, Resist, Escape) Training survivor, I have to disagree with the writer.If the enhanced interogation techniques are good enough for our Troops, they are good enough for the terrorists. Torture is when you physically break a person down through physical means; such as, electrocution, beating, breaking bones, and hanging.

The American people have become weak, they would rather give up their freedom and lives rather than mistreat a terrorist. They are like sheep that lay down when wolves attack. This Country is no longer the great nation that my family has defended since the Revolutionary War. It has become like the weak and timid Europeans with no backbone.
Davis 46970

Piscataway, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2009

Judged:

First off, Mr. Walker, thank you for your service. My father is also a veteran of WWII. He was a Marine who served in the South Pacific, Kwajalean, Tarawa, Mojuro. He saw a lot of combat as a 19 year old and it left its marks upon him.

I must disagree with you, though Mr. Walker. The difference between WWII and today's War on Terror is it is Supra National. Not tied down or even directly associated (at least not openly, officially) with any particular state. Further, the Islamic Militants who wage this war, do not fight it against our troops unless backed into a corner, no they prefer to slaughter innocent men, women, children.

They wear no uniform and would as happily shoot a dog, or crush a cockroach as strap dynamite on a pregnant young woman to explode in a crowded supermarket or fly jetliners into buildings.

This is a new war, for a new century and if we have to put fanatics in fear of their lives in order to save the lives of an entire city, than do it.

Again, Mr. Walker I respect you, but you are by now a very old man and old men dream of peace. I would point out we dropped two atom bombs on cities in Japan to make them surrender. We killed, bombed, strafed, burned,shot destroyed every Nazi we could find even if it meant destroying entire cities and the populations within, to win.

It is terrible, awful, wretched, brutal, necessary. IT is the nature of war. Americans fight wars to win them and if you don't fight to win, you loose.

On this anniversary of D-Day I honor the brave men and women who served, died, fought and yes killed the enemy. If we must terrorize the terrorists to win this dreadful war I say fight this war the way we always fought our wars, with stunning, overwhelming, murderous power that slaughters so many of the enemy they would never ever dare to raise a weapon against America again.

Don't tread on us.

Since: Apr 08

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2009

Judged:

play by home field rules.... and eye 4 and eye
Jeff S

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2009

It's alright to bomb their neighborhoods and put bullets in their heads but make them feel like they're downing with a doctor standing by to keep them safe is morally wrong? I'm not sure I get it.
Wendy

Yonkers, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

Wait..Cheney wasn't talking about the thieves and rapists..he was talking about the 3, yes 3, people who they felt strongly knew of attacks that might be perpetrated on innocent Americans..thousands of them..you are talking apples and oranges here. With all due respect, times have changed, weapons have changed, our enemies no longer wear identifiable uniforms..I remember watching movies about the Revolutionary War..and always wondered why they would all line up and walk towards eachother in an open field and fire upon eachother..we all know how that went..that;s not the way you fought in WWII..things have changed much now all it takes is one man on a cheap flight to do horrific damage. Thank you for your service.
Current Stamford Resident

Moriches, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

Think back to the American Revolution. The British Army had a complex and rigid set of rules, including a prohibition against shooting from cover, which they deemed cowardly.

We didn't care about their rules - we wanted to win. We hid behind cover and waited until we "could see the whites of their eyes" before firing. The British thought our conduct was outrageous and ungentlemanly. They refused to adapt. And they lost. We used their own rulebook against them successfully.

In this new conflict we have turned into the eighteenth-century British Army. Now it is we who labor under a restrictive and rigid rulebook and the terrorists who gloat that they will use our own rules and even our own Constitution to defeat us.

The question is whether we have the ability, the intelligence and the tenacity to learn from history.

CSR
Publius is back

Norwalk, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2009

Judged:

Mort is misguided. Water bording is not torcher. It is a life saver. It saves United States American citizen lives.

Similar to many of the take overs, like Health care, Automomile industries and other free market entities by Obama and his leftist maniaical associates in the cabinet and congress, it is a means to end. That is, Waterboarding saves lives; a means to an end. Government takeover kills the American economy; a means to an end.
mike

Willimantic, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2009

Judged:

Desire to win and a strong hate for the enemy is what belongs in a soldiers mind, the moment he or she questions themself a hesitation occurs and that places all his comrades in jepardy. Liberal thinking is wondeful for the arm chair generals but has no place on the battlefield. The atrocities perpetrated against American service men throughout Americas engagements were horrendous. Take away the confidence and replace it with care and concern for an enemy and you will have a higher KIA rate than already exists.
Liberals please stay out of our service mens minds and let them do their job defending America, if not we will have the same issues as when Nam vets came home to apathy and disdain.

Semper Fi
Question

Finland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2009

I may well be wrong.(but who's perfect?)
I guess the maniacal things started already before Obama, and anyway while many small fish got bombed and tortured the big ones and even their houses and friend's houses were quite spared.
There's some stuff behind some staff. ;-)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••