NATO suggests a Ramadan cease-fire in Libya

Full story: USA Today

NATO suggested Tuesday that it would be willing to stop bombing Libya during Ramadan if Moammar Gadhafi 's forces also honored a cease-fire during the Muslim holy month.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Concerned US Citizens

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2011

•In Constitutional terms, the United States is currently at war with Libya.

•Libya is not invading the United States, nor has it threatened to do so.

•Congress has not declared war. Barack Obama did.

Some would claim that the 1973 war powers resolution authorizes a president to start a war as long as it’s reported to Congress within 48 hours. Then, Congress would have 60 days to authorize the action, or extend it.

The only question you should have to ask for this would be –“where in the Constitution is congress given the authority to change the constitution by resolution?”

It doesn’t. And that resolution, in and of itself, is a Constitutional violation. More on that in a future article, of course.

James Madison had something to say about such a plan when he wrote:

“The executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question, whether there is or is not cause for declaring war.”[emphasis added]

War Powers resolution or no war powers resolution – without a Congressional declaration, the president is not authorized to start an offensive military campaign. Period.

The bottom line? By using US Military to begin hostilities with a foreign nation without a Congressional declaration of war, Barack Obama has committed a serious violation of the Constitution. While he certainly is not the first to do so in regards to war powers, it’s high time that he becomes the last.

http://www.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2011/03/2...
George

Red Deer, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2011

Sorry, you really missed the mark on this one. The US has never declared war nor is at war with LIBYA. Obama has committed funds, assets to NATO which is stopping inhumane treatment of people by a government. I know a lot of people do not like Obama because he is black but you have to look past that to bring yourself to the modern world.
hmm

Mount Morris, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2011

Is raping of Libyan women by Gadhafi forces will stop also?
Afghanistan Vet

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2011

Judged:

NATO has no business bombing anyone in Libya! Since when does NATO celebrate Ramadan anyway? Has NATO suddenly become an Islamic organization? What a joke.
Military Man

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2011

Afghanistan Vet wrote:
NATO has no business bombing anyone in Libya! Since when does NATO celebrate Ramadan anyway? Has NATO suddenly become an Islamic organization? What a joke.
NATO realizes that if they bomb Libya during Ramadan, the entire Arab world will be against them.
StormRider

Porto, Portugal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2011

NATO already said that they will continue to bomb during it !
Bikram

Europe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2011

Judged:

America, German, France and British, stop terrorist acts in Libiya. Stop killing civilians. Go out from Libiya, Iraq and Afganistan. We must condemn America and NATO. They are occupiers, terrorist and thieves.
George

Red Deer, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2011

Judged:

We seen to have a few Icelanders that are very loyal to Ghadaffi. Please let us know why, not that there is anything wrong with your opinion just curious
Rico

Guatemala

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2011

NATO doesn't give a 'Rat's-ass' about Ramadan, this is NATO buying time to cut a deal, NATO is whipped and wants to go home...
Rico

Guatemala

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2011

George wrote:
Sorry, you really missed the mark on this one. The US has never declared war nor is at war with LIBYA. Obama has committed funds, assets to NATO which is stopping inhumane treatment of people by a government. I know a lot of people do not like Obama because he is black but you have to look past that to bring yourself to the modern world.
This not about 'Inhuman Treatment', this is about Gold Dinars, Qaddafi organized the oil producing nations to go on the gold standard, the western banksters went ballistic and sent NATO in to crush the idea..
JimBob

Kitchener, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2011

Judged:

George wrote:
We seen to have a few Icelanders that are very loyal to Ghadaffi. Please let us know why, not that there is anything wrong with your opinion just curious
Muslim immigrant with a pre-existing hatred of the west and especially Israel.
ira

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2011

Judged:

Rico wrote:
NATO doesn't give a 'Rat's-ass' about Ramadan, this is NATO buying time to cut a deal, NATO is whipped and wants to go home...
Why should NATO acre about Ramadan when even Gadhafi doesn't care about it? Gadhafi ordered the rape of hundreds of Muslim women, if he's caught by Muslims of Libya or any other Muslim country he'll be left without his 'family jewels' first, and after God knows.
Military Man

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2011

Rico wrote:
Without NATO putting boots on the ground, they cannot win.

“I love the liberty of speech”

Since: May 11

Bangkok

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2011

Rico wrote:
<quoted text>
This not about 'Inhuman Treatment', this is about Gold Dinars, Qaddafi organized the oil producing nations to go on the gold standard, the western banksters went ballistic and sent NATO in to crush the idea..
Yeah, the west is trying to maintain this faulty debt based monetary system where nobody knows where are the money and the rich can hide their wealth using financial speculations...anyway, what a cruel joke, ceasing the fire for Ramadan, after bombing and killing so many people there.
George

Red Deer, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2011

JimBob wrote:
<quoted text>
Muslim immigrant with a pre-existing hatred of the west and especially Israel.
yes, that would explain a lot, except for the part of not moving back to support their leader
George

Red Deer, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2011

ira wrote:
<quoted text>Why should NATO acre about Ramadan when even Gadhafi doesn't care about it? Gadhafi ordered the rape of hundreds of Muslim women, if he's caught by Muslims of Libya or any other Muslim country he'll be left without his 'family jewels' first, and after God knows.
Exactly
Tele-kiji

Russia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2011

ira wrote:
Gadhafi ordered the rape of hundreds of Muslim women
piffle

“I love the liberty of speech”

Since: May 11

Bangkok

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2011

ira wrote:
<quoted text>Gadhafi ordered the rape of hundreds of Muslim women
I wouldn't believe everything I hear on TV :):)

http://my-google-gadgets.blogspot.com/
Military Man

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2011

The rebels will stop fighting during Ramadan, and then a diplomatic solution might finally be possible.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••