Erie man charged in assault on Neighb...

Erie man charged in assault on Neighborhood Watch official

There are 38 comments on the Erie Times News story from Jul 28, 2014, titled Erie man charged in assault on Neighborhood Watch official. In it, Erie Times News reports that:

An east Erie Neighborhood Watch coordinator suffered significant head and facial injuries when city police said he was attacked by a man on East Fourth Street on Sunday morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Erie Times News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jim

Franklin, PA

#1 Jul 29, 2014
They should be armed.
jim

Franklin, PA

#2 Jul 29, 2014
Carney released this bum on 100k UN secured bond.

What a joke our legal system is.

So much for neighborhood watch programs.

WASTE of time.
Mr Infuriated

Erie, PA

#3 Jul 29, 2014
The thug is guilty. Hang the bastard. Let's have some real law and order.
Goat Cheese

Beaver, PA

#4 Jul 29, 2014
jim wrote:
WASTE of time.
Yo Tom, is that one of your buddies or what??
HAVE A PRIOR RECORD

Erie, PA

#5 Jul 29, 2014
jim wrote:
WASTE of time.
Especially if this "tough guy" had a prior record. He needs to be punished big time!!
call the police

Springfield, NJ

#6 Jul 29, 2014
Neighborhood watch is supposed to call the police. Don't get yourself in these situations. Call the police.
Werf

Erie, PA

#7 Jul 29, 2014
HAVE A PRIOR RECORD wrote:
<quoted text>
Especially if this "tough guy" had a prior record. He needs to be punished big time!!
Yes, habitual Aggravated Assault, Disorderly Conduct, Theft, etc. Just Google Toby Shaffer & Mike Henry. Yes- the late Mike Henry.
Werf

Erie, PA

#8 Jul 29, 2014
call the police wrote:
Neighborhood watch is supposed to call the police. Don't get yourself in these situations. Call the police.
Call the police to take pictures? Police encourage neighborhood watch volunteers to take pictures.
Tim Leary

United States

#9 Jul 29, 2014
I feel badly for this man who stood up and tried to make Erie a better place.

We need more like him.

Thankfully, the bad guy is now off the sreets of Erie.

He deserves a medal
Sickened

Erie, PA

#10 Jul 29, 2014
Del Birch is a great guy. Known him for years. He has given a lot to that neighborhood. I was not there, but knowing Del's character and integrity I would seriously doubt that he did anything to deserve this beating. If anything Del most likely tried to reason with the idiot. I just hope he heals and stays the course and the asshole that did this is jailed soon. Also, I hope he sues the hell out of the scum bag that attacked him.
jim

Franklin, PA

#11 Jul 29, 2014
Tim Leary wrote:
We need more like him.
He deserves a medal
Did I miss something?

I thought he was OUT on UN secured bond. Or did something change?
shiner

Erie, PA

#12 Jul 29, 2014
Werf wrote:
<quoted text>
Call the police to take pictures? Police encourage neighborhood watch volunteers to take pictures.
The police encourage people to let the police do their job. I hope the guy makes a full recovery and the perp gets some jail time, but if you see something suspicious, call the police. No need to risk your safety for a parked van.
Werf

Erie, PA

#13 Jul 29, 2014
Tim Leary wrote:
We need more like him.
He deserves a medal
Thanks for your concern, but Toby Shaffer was released on on unsecured bond. Unsecured bond is typically reserved for defendants that have abundant assets in excess of the bond - in this case $100,000.00. Not likely with a man in a van living with an extension cord attached to civilization. He is virtually as free as you are at this moment.
GeorgeZ

Erie, PA

#14 Jul 29, 2014
I would have shot him. Real neighborhood watch capts. pack heat
Tim Leary

United States

#15 Jul 29, 2014
GeorgeZ wrote:
I would have shot him. Real neighborhood watch capts. pack heat
real neighborhood captains follow he guidelines set down for hem by the police.
Trayvon

Erie, PA

#16 Jul 29, 2014
yeah timmy, you my boy
JoeK

Erie, PA

#17 Jul 30, 2014
The police are always asking for citizens to become involved. A gentleman does and gets the crap beat out of him. A local judge allows the perp to walk. No much incentive to become involved.
wanna bee black

Erie, PA

#18 Jul 30, 2014
I would have beat his ace too.sticking his nose in peoples business.Dude was just trying to get some sleep,and he gets harrassed.neighborhood watch,what are they watching? There watching all the drug deals,robberies going on right in front of there fasces.6 th and wallace, 7 th wallace,never see any neighbor hood watch people vtalking to the drug dealers do you.Hell no you don't,cause they would get there aces wooped
jack

Franklin, PA

#19 Jul 30, 2014
"Dude" was trespassing on penelec property.
Multiple complaints previously filed on this jerk.
Go home to 21st and plum where you live to sleep, which, by the way doesn't seem like a real prosperous section of town to qualify for a 100k UN secured bond. No offense to the good people that live there.
Carney either dropped the ball, or knows this guy.
As far as drug dealers on 6th and 7th and wallace, make no mistake, the cops are well aware.
Do yourself a favor and read the article before you post.
Your reply is ludicrous.
Get well wishes to Mr. Birch, I spoke to him once and he seemed like a good guy.

“Peace On Earth”

Since: Apr 08

Erie Pa

#20 Jul 30, 2014
Werf wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for your concern, but Toby Shaffer was released on on unsecured bond. Unsecured bond is typically reserved for defendants that have abundant assets in excess of the bond - in this case $100,000.00. Not likely with a man in a van living with an extension cord attached to civilization. He is virtually as free as you are at this moment.
just unbelievable.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

iPad App Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Talk Angela App "Kidnapper Behind the Camera" (Feb '14) Mar 26 Cyleestreets 314
News 5 free programs you may not have heard of until... Mar '18 Anon 1
News Graham: Firing Mueller would end of Trump's pre... Jan '18 Trump is a joke 11
News Greene County crews at scene of water rescue Jan '18 guest 2
News House passes NSA spying bill after Trump tweets... Jan '18 Christsharians on... 3
News Wi-Fi connection problems are the worst. Here a... Oct '17 Moose 1
News More reports of alleged iPhone 8 Plus battery s... (Oct '17) Oct '17 iescapedny 1