8 things you think you own, but don't

Nov 4, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WOIO

This week, the U.S. Supreme Court heard arguments in a case called Kirtsaeng v. Wiley , which will test the limits of something called the "first sale" doctrine.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2012

Some of them make sense, but others are just insanely stupid. The copyright laws are a mess, and Disney is mostly to blame for that, though it's rather ironic that Disney is enforcing their copyrights a little bit less these days.

However, the copyright wars need to end, they are destroying the online economy, which is the only thriving global economy right now.
si kabayan

Indonesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

the us government wants to add one to the list: files. well as far as operating system is concerned, in microsoft windows you don't own anything while in linux you own _everything_ even those in another partition taht you mount but weren't created by you/your account.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

si kabayan wrote:
the us government wants to add one to the list: files. well as far as operating system is concerned, in microsoft windows you don't own anything while in linux you own _everything_ even those in another partition taht you mount but weren't created by you/your account.
Actually, no, on Linux you only own what you create unless you release it as open source or GNU, in which case the public owns it. There are also proprietary drivers that the companies have copyrights on, they just let anyone use the drivers free. Linux is the best, but I don't think you understand everything that's under the hood.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••