Leaving Gibbs with a title? Stewart a...

Leaving Gibbs with a title? Stewart admits it's a long shot

There are 16 comments on the Indystar.com story from Sep 17, 2008, titled Leaving Gibbs with a title? Stewart admits it's a long shot. In it, Indystar.com reports that:

With just 10 races left in his career at Joe Gibbs Racing, Tony Stewart is hoping to write a storybook ending to what thus far has been the most frustrating of his 10 NASCAR Sprint Cup seasons.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Indystar.com.

pete

AOL

#1 Sep 17, 2008
gibbs is doing to tony the same thing hendrick is doing to jeff ,they are giving them bombers ,the difference is tony knows it jeff doesn,t their crewchiefs sold them out!actually jeff doesn,tknow it yet!
Toadie Stewart

Saint John, Canada

#2 Sep 19, 2008
totally agree that the Shrub is sitting in Tony's cars!!

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#3 Sep 20, 2008
Toadie Stewart wrote:
totally agree that the Shrub is sitting in Tony's cars!!
Unless Joey is in the race....then he gets Tony's car.

“Smoke and the Rocketman”

United States

#4 Sep 20, 2008
Tony woulda won a bunch of races earlier in the year folks... bad luck kept him out of victory lane.. he did have to be safe for a while there, not going for the lead if he would have to race a mad man for it (Kyle)... but Tony is not getting bad stuff.. last week he shot himself in the foot speeding on pit road.. who knows where he would have ended up if not for that.. he had the fastest car.. he might have won..the week before, he would have won had he beat Jimbob off pit road... why do people forget what actually happened?? it is bizarre to me
one has to count on others having bad luck, like Kyle had last week to win the championship if they themselves can't win some races.. Tony knows there are a bunch of mile and a halves coming up and that would be the reason he would think the championship is a long shot.. no other reason. Rousch is better on mile and a halves for some reason..

“Smoke and the Rocketman”

United States

#5 Sep 20, 2008
Gibbs has a stable full of potential winning drivers each week.. they build cars specific for each driver.. They have had Joey practicing the COT for a long while now, I am sure they built at least a couple cars for him over that time knowing he was coming up into the series.
Tony has honestly only had one bad car all year...and that was awhile ago now..no team is going to waste their time not going for a win.. no crew cheif is going to waste a race not gathering information for the next year for his team.
Nascar Fan

Kinston, NC

#6 Sep 26, 2008
Okay here's another scenerio, instead of blaming Joe Gibbs, Kyle Busch, Toyota, or whoever is convenient, how about the "Chevrolet doesn't want Tony winning anything in a Toyota." Now here comes all the Toyota haters (not that I am a Toyota fan just voicing an opposing viewpoint) to tell how Chevy wouldn't do such a thing and Tony would agree to such a thing. Well check out the win total for Tony for this year, when he has a great car this year, a pit road speeding penalty takes him out of contention or something that we've very rarely seen out of Tony occurs. Just a theory.
Nascar Fan

Kinston, NC

#7 Sep 26, 2008
Correction: I meant to say Tony wouldn't agree to such a thing, my typing isn't great.

Location hidden

#8 Sep 27, 2008
Nascar Fan wrote:
Okay here's another scenerio, instead of blaming Joe Gibbs, Kyle Busch, Toyota, or whoever is convenient, how about the "Chevrolet doesn't want Tony winning anything in a Toyota." Now here comes all the Toyota haters (not that I am a Toyota fan just voicing an opposing viewpoint) to tell how Chevy wouldn't do such a thing and Tony would agree to such a thing. Well check out the win total for Tony for this year, when he has a great car this year, a pit road speeding penalty takes him out of contention or something that we've very rarely seen out of Tony occurs. Just a theory.
Good theory but what about the 5 wins he has in Nationwide in a Toyota?
SewartFanNoMore

Allentown, PA

#9 Sep 27, 2008
luvtonyseyes wrote:
<quoted text>
Good theory but what about the 5 wins he has in Nationwide in a Toyota?
Just proves that he is no longer a top caliber driver.

“20”

Since: Aug 08

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Sep 27, 2008
SewartFanNoMore wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is your driver may I ask? Ten Bucks he says Busch.
SewartFanNoMore

Allentown, PA

#12 Sep 27, 2008
Nascarolina Madame wrote:
<quoted text>Who is your driver may I ask? Ten Bucks he says Busch.
Until yesterday it was Stewart, but after qualifying I will not waste my time rooting for him. Just one too many times of lousy qualifying. He doesn't care so WHY should I.
Missing Persons

Milford, OH

#13 Sep 29, 2008
SewartFanNoMore wrote:
<quoted text>
He can't fade away into obscurity fast enough!
Nascar Fan

Charleston, WV

#14 Sep 29, 2008
kattienpatches wrote:
You know the greatest drivers in Nascar have won in every make of cars there is .Bobby Allison won races in a Matador and that is pretty sad but true LOL .Saying Tony can only win races in a Chevy is not saying much For such a talented driver .Sorry if I was Smoke I would be insulted .( Just one persons opinion .)
I didn't say he couldn't win, Tony can win in anything he gets into, I said he's not permitted to win in a Toyota, and as far as the Nationwide series races go, they don't affect his Cup deal so it doesn't matter if he wins in a Toyota there or not, just as long as he doesn't help Toyota (or any other manufacturer) take the manufacturer's title from Chevy.(Just my opinion)
Junior Nation

United States

#16 Sep 30, 2008
SewartFanNoMore wrote:
<quoted text>
Until yesterday it was Stewart, but after qualifying I will not waste my time rooting for him. Just one too many times of lousy qualifying. He doesn't care so WHY should I.
That had nothing to do with Smoke. He crew left the tape off the front grill.
Nascar Fan

Charleston, WV

#17 Sep 30, 2008
kattienpatches wrote:
<quoted text>Please I am sorry I didnt write it to make you mad .Its just people keep saying he can only win in a chevy . And I just do not agree . ;)
I'm sorry of I gave the impression of being mad, I'm not mad at all sorry if I came off that way, was just trying to explain myself better, didn't mean anything by it. I hope it is just bad racing luck for Tony this year, just seems weird because he's always won before even in bad years.
Carolyn

Harmonsburg, PA

#19 Sep 30, 2008
SewartFanNoMore wrote:
<quoted text>
Fans like you Tony doesn't need. Nothing like kicking somebody when they're down. You must not have been a true Tony fan.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scott Dixon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Power wins in Sonoma after late Dixon penalty (Aug '13) Aug '13 TexasRaider 1
News Tagliani pays off wager witha (Aug '13) Aug '13 missing_goldfish 7
News Motorsports Roundup: Power controls Baltimore (Sep '12) Sep '12 TexasRaider 1
News Aug. 9: On Scott Dixon and A.J. Allmendinger (Aug '12) Aug '12 Johnny Woolsey 1
News Scott Dixon wins shortened Detroit Grand Prix (Jun '12) Jun '12 F1 Funatic 1
News Root of Dan Wheldon's smile Indycar.com (Jan '08) Oct '11 Legadont NoNo 9
News Franchitti wins IndyCar pole at Milwaukee (Jun '11) Jun '11 08malibu 1
More from around the web