IRS: Castroneves owes $2.3 million in taxes

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

The IRS says Brazilian race driver and "Dancing With The Stars" winner Helio Castroneves owes more than $2.3 million in taxes.
Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Mar 31, 2009
Homer Simpson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2009

Lets see him dance his way out of this one.
Marge

Freehold, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2009

lets see, they wanted him to pay taxes on income he had yet to receive. Whoaaaaaaaa, I was wondering how they were going to balance the budget. You going to earn $45,000 next year so i wan you to pre-pay your taxes so you have the right to earn the income.
Disco Duck

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2009

That disco globe better be worth something more than the messiahobama's promises of false hope and change!
Jimmy J

Loxahatchee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2009

The fed prints trillions of dollars to buy the toxic debt that the idiots who overpaid for houses they couldn't afford and then robs us through increased taxes through future inflation.

The real thief is our government.
Benz

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2009

Prepare yourself for the big house Helio!
what ever

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2009

what a country. If you want to live here then pay up or get out. what a country.
The Lawyer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2009

Wealthy peoople never do time. (especially a Latin in Miami)
Fakearockobama

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2009

what ever wrote:
what a country. If you want to live here then pay up or get out. what a country.
obama payin up now...to all his supporters...free money to the banks and financial guys...nothing to the poor...Ahahahahahahahhahaha
Joseph

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2009

Spend the money fast and become destitute. Then watch how fast they all go away!
IRL driver RHR

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2009

Mark your caalenders. I predict that neither Helio, his sister or their lawyer will be convicted. I can just see the the defenses closing arguments; Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, do you believe the tax laws in this country say that you FIRST have to pay taxes on your "phantom" income before you receive it? Or do you pay taxes AFTER you receive your salary? Now ask yourself this, if you were asked that question, how would YOU answer it? Just as I thought. Helio, it's time to get back into your race car and make the Indy 500 in May. Good luck my brother.
The Truth Detector

Lake Butler, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2009

He's a young guy and a very talented race driver. He let other people, whom he trusted, run his business affairs. He should pay the taxes but any jail time should apply to the people that are at the root cause of this tax mess. After this debacle, Helio is sure to take more interest in the business side of his life. This isn't the first time that trust has been betrayed. So let's save the hanging rope for the truly guilty.

Since: Jun 07

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2009

The Truth Detector wrote:
He's a young guy and a very talented race driver. He let other people, whom he trusted, run his business affairs. He should pay the taxes but any jail time should apply to the people that are at the root cause of this tax mess. After this debacle, Helio is sure to take more interest in the business side of his life. This isn't the first time that trust has been betrayed. So let's save the hanging rope for the truly guilty.
I couldn't agree with you more. He hired "professional" fiancial advisers to take care of these issues and they have turned out to be crooks! From what I understand, there are many NASCAR drivers putting their trust in the very same individual.
Chandler Hall

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2009

CandiJean wrote:
<quoted text> I couldn't agree with you more. He hired "professional" fiancial advisers to take care of these issues and they have turned out to be crooks! From what I understand, there are many NASCAR drivers putting their trust in the very same individual.
He needs the death penalty. OR he could be appointed to the Obama Cabinet with the rest of the tax-cheats. And now you are guilty of fostering this kind of behavior.
Kit

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2009

Has anyone read the list of U.S. tax codes? Man oh Man! The government could potentially incriminate anyone it wanted too. Sounds like fascism to me.
Kit

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2009

Jimmy J wrote:
The fed prints trillions of dollars to buy the toxic debt that the idiots who overpaid for houses they couldn't afford and then robs us through increased taxes through future inflation.
The real thief is our government.
Wall Street is the real thief and oppressor. It is the story of Jack's magic beans. Now Jack has the hen that lays the golden eggs and now the greedy Giant is mad as h*ll. Hurry Jack! Here's the axe, cut it down quickly.
Serf of the State

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2009

what ever wrote:
No one that pays full tax can "live". They merely "exist".

There was no income tax prior to 1913. It was initially 2% of income, and there was raging debate on the intrusiveness of this confiscatory 2% tax.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••