Accountant: Castroneves didn't seek t...

Accountant: Castroneves didn't seek to evade taxes but could ha...

There are 15 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Mar 11, 2009, titled Accountant: Castroneves didn't seek to evade taxes but could ha.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Race car driver and TV dance celebrity Helio Castroneves never sought to break the law in his financial affairs but could have avoided all U.S. tax on about $5 million if he had relocated from south Florida to ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

miami 500

United States

#1 Mar 12, 2009
Every time heilo stepped into the race car he could have been killed,his contract states if you die your out, thats the bottom line,its not right the judge is making him go thru this,if you make money like he has,every lawyer in the world is trying to take it one way or the other,i wish i would have put my money out of this country,i never made as much as him but i made alot and every day some lawyer is trying to sue me for anything they can come up with, and trying to steal my money,i hope heilo wins this case and they leave him and his family alone,let the goverment go and fight the bad guys and leave the good guys alone! heilo is a good guy a nice person and help's many people,the goverment should stop trying to make him out to be a bad guy because he is not!
miami 500

Ocoee, FL

#2 Apr 10, 2009
Here we go the last day,helio and his sister did nothing wrong,in fact the did everything right.I hope this will show some people that they can stick up for there rights,Go heilo!!!!!!!!!!
Stating the Obvious

Hilo, HI

#3 Apr 14, 2009
What a pile of cr*p! This guy is just a good-natured race car driver who depended on so-called "professionals" to handle his business affairs. Nobody on that jury actually understands the tax code, so how can they expect him to? And where were these zealous federal prosecutors when AIG, Goldman Sachs, Bear Sterns, Madoff et al were walking away with BILLIONS of dollars? This is a freakin' joke and a media circus intended to scare others into overpaying their taxes so the government can take their hard earned money and p*ss it away...
PTfan

United States

#4 Apr 14, 2009
Helio is a liar. Even his favorite movie according to himself was Liar Liar in 2002 in an interview with ESPN. Cheated on his fiancee, lied about it all over the media, then finally broke down and told the truth. He lied to get the Indy 500 win. He has a proven track - in dishonesty and deceit and does not want to be accountable for his own actions. He is a sick individual. I hope he goes directly to JAIL. Do not pass go, do not collect $200 dollars.
The Truth Detector

Fort White, FL

#5 Apr 14, 2009
A fourth day of jury deliberations is one day closer to Helio getting off the hook. He will face a stiff fine and have to pay back the taxes with interest but jail time is not an option. The Feds have an airtight case regarding unpaid taxes. The question is the degree of blame and intent on the part of Helio. He races cars. He dances with stars. He trusted his sister and other business friends and associates to take care of the tax details. Everyone from his father on down (especially, sis) should go to jail. That is exactly what the jury is mulling over. Helio walks. Wait and see!
Torn

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#6 Apr 17, 2009
I am soooo torn. Im a fan of Helio's but damn, if we have to pay taxes for the measley amount of money we make, then so should he and he's a millionaire to boot!! I have mixed emotions. I dont know who to believe. I'm leaning towards the Feds
yeahhh

United States

#7 Apr 17, 2009
I hope you get your ride back Helio!!! Glad to hear you got acquitted!
Torn

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#8 Apr 17, 2009
But then again, I just sent the IRS a big fat check this week. I could still be bitter. :)
Yack Off Smirnoff

Bakersfield, CA

#9 Apr 17, 2009
First he gets off with Julianne from DWTS and now this.. What a Country..
NoName

Boca Raton, FL

#10 Apr 17, 2009
If you read through the case thoroughly, you will see the intent to evade. Deciphering tax law is not rocket science as some people contend. He set up the shell, his father lied as to the ownership, it is shown now that he will make good from the proceeds to that company through another entity. Additionally, as to his untruthfullness in the public eye, well, his willingness to lie has already been shown. Hard to make a man out of a boy at his age.
Observer

United States

#11 Apr 17, 2009
GOOD FOR HIM....(Helio)

Atty Black says, "athletes do this sort of thing all the time..." If they do, and it is WRONG, then let the IRS change the laws/rules...

IN FACT, let them change the mess that our legislators have created anyway.... TAX LAWS ARE A MESS, and if it wasn't for the sad fact that it cost all of us a great deal, it would be funny...

LESS TAXES, LESS GOVERNMENT!

As for the prosecutor, it would appear that he is merely trying to make a name for himself. Of course he did so at the EXPENSE of the taxpayer.... HE KNEW he had no case, but facts rarely get in the way of PERSONAL FEELINGS....
Observer

United States

#12 Apr 17, 2009
PTfan wrote:
Helio is a liar. Even his favorite movie according to himself was Liar Liar in 2002 in an interview with ESPN. Cheated on his fiancee, lied about it all over the media, then finally broke down and told the truth. He lied to get the Indy 500 win. He has a proven track - in dishonesty and deceit and does not want to be accountable for his own actions. He is a sick individual. I hope he goes directly to JAIL. Do not pass go, do not collect $200 dollars.
WOW! are we a bit jealous???? How does one LIE to win a race? and he LIED about cheating on his girlfriend. Hummmm, that's a biggy!
Observer

United States

#13 Apr 17, 2009
NoName wrote:
If you read through the case thoroughly, you will see the intent to evade. Deciphering tax law is not rocket science as some people contend. He set up the shell, his father lied as to the ownership, it is shown now that he will make good from the proceeds to that company through another entity. Additionally, as to his untruthfullness in the public eye, well, his willingness to lie has already been shown. Hard to make a man out of a boy at his age.
IS that the same TAX LAWS that total over a million pages in length? The same one that Thousands of attorney's make a living out of interpreting, advising on and defending against? Sure, the tax laws aren't rocket science, they seem to be a bit more complicated than that!

IF THE LAWS ARE FLAWED, don't blame those who use those flaws to their advantage (that's why they pay attorneys, accountants, and advisors for ADVISE). CHANGE THE LAWS....
Velma

Lynn, IN

#14 Apr 18, 2009
Where is his wife?? so he did not understand!! about tax law.
He was also on dancing with the stars, and running all over the nation. He told everyone he did not understand.
Stating the Obvious

Hilo, HI

#15 Apr 24, 2009
Velma wrote:
Where is his wife?? so he did not understand!! about tax law.
He was also on dancing with the stars, and running all over the nation. He told everyone he did not understand.
He is not married. His sister is his business manager. They are a very close family. Nice people but truly not business people, this is why they hired attorneys who were supposed to know what they were doing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Helio Castroneves Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Celebrity Wife Swap RECAP 5/27/14: Larry Birkhe... (May '14) May '14 lolita26 1
News IRS Waves Black Flag At Race Car Driver Juan Pa... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Virginia 1
News Power wins in Sonoma after late Dixon penalty (Aug '13) Aug '13 TexasRaider 1
News IndyCar penalizes Team Penske after Helio win (Jun '13) Jun '13 TexasRaider 5
News Detroit Grand Prix 2012: Kid Rock, Helio Castro... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Kingfish 2
News Danica at 30: From NASCAR novelty to winner? (Mar '12) Mar '12 big 3 5
News Castroneves Takes Indy Pole On Wild Qualifying Day (May '10) Feb '12 F1 Funatic 5
More from around the web