Champ racers left in IRL's dust at Indy

Champ racers left in IRL's dust at Indy

There are 16 comments on the www.fortwayne.com story from May 12, 2008, titled Champ racers left in IRL's dust at Indy. In it, www.fortwayne.com reports that:

It pays to be rich at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. By rich, I'm speaking beyond the financial sense, although bank accounts play a part.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.fortwayne.com.

Since: Aug 07

Morris, IL

#1 May 12, 2008
To be fair that's what was expected. Next Year post a story like that wont exist they will catch up I have no doubt. I cant imagine how they can go fast enough to qualify on a high speed oval with little experience. But they are getting up to speed and are hanging that tells me how good they really are.

“You want WHAT????”

Since: Jan 07

Myrtle Beach, SC

#2 May 12, 2008
Lets go racing wrote:
To be fair that's what was expected. Next Year post a story like that wont exist they will catch up I have no doubt. I cant imagine how they can go fast enough to qualify on a high speed oval with little experience. But they are getting up to speed and are hanging that tells me how good they really are.
Point well taken, but if CART/CCWS had not totally eschewed oval track racing, the learning curve for these guys might not be so steep. I am more than a little surprised that Bruno J. hasn't found the speed as he did in '05.

Long and short, the weather is going to decide just what will be "settled" for next weekend. I know I'll be glued to computer and TV.

Morris, IL

#3 May 12, 2008
Skip-SC wrote:
<quoted text>
Point well taken, but if CART/CCWS had not totally eschewed oval track racing, the learning curve for these guys might not be so steep. I am more than a little surprised that Bruno J. hasn't found the speed as he did in '05.
Long and short, the weather is going to decide just what will be "settled" for next weekend. I know I'll be glued to computer and TV.
I'm going out there :) And you're right they chose that path.
I think they're good drivers and they seem so nice and excited to be at Indy.

Morris, IL

#4 May 13, 2008
I think Will Power will do the best of the ex Champ drivers out there.
CCWS Fan

United States

#5 May 13, 2008
Lets go racing wrote:
Explain please. Just wondering what you have seen in him or what you have not seen in other to come to this opinion. Not saying you're wrong, but since you are the editor I would like an editorial once in a while.

“You want WHAT????”

Since: Jan 07

Myrtle Beach, SC

#6 May 13, 2008
CCWS Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain please. Just wondering what you have seen in him or what you have not seen in other to come to this opinion. Not saying you're wrong, but since you are the editor I would like an editorial once in a while.
I think the sooner that the learning curve comes together for the CCWS drivers, the better the competition (and the more sponsors) the series will get. And, let's face it, this series needs more and bigger sponsors.

As I said in my earlier post, I was a little surprised that Bruno didn't do better, since he has experience at Indy from '05.

And, I was a little disappointed at NHLR for their tire gaffe at the end of Saturday,(if it was that.) They've been around racing for too long and have been at Indy before the split and should have known better,(again, if they truly intended for Rahal to get one last shot.)

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that the best performance from the "transition" drivers will come from either Junquiera or Rahal on Race Day.

And, on behalf of those of us one "the other side," WELCOME BACK! It's been too long!
Durumb

Morris, IL

#7 May 13, 2008
CCWS Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
You're picking a fight I don't have to explain anything to you and I wont! Save the drama for your mama she's the only one who gives a ____!
Figure it out yourself cupcake.

Morris, IL

#8 May 13, 2008
Skip-SC wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the sooner that the learning curve comes together for the CCWS drivers, the better the competition (and the more sponsors) the series will get. And, let's face it, this series needs more and bigger sponsors.
As I said in my earlier post, I was a little surprised that Bruno didn't do better, since he has experience at Indy from '05.
And, I was a little disappointed at NHLR for their tire gaffe at the end of Saturday,(if it was that.) They've been around racing for too long and have been at Indy before the split and should have known better,(again, if they truly intended for Rahal to get one last shot.)
I don't know why, but I have a feeling that the best performance from the "transition" drivers will come from either Junquiera or Rahal on Race Day.
And, on behalf of those of us one "the other side," WELCOME BACK! It's been too long!
I think that Will Power will be the best contender. Graham too. I'm also surpised about Bruno that was mind boggling. I think they're doing great for trying to qualify 4 fast laps on a high speed oval with little experience on the ovals. I like it the worst thing that could have happened is they'd get left behind. I don't feel their in the dust of the IRL drivers it's just Indy is a Penske/AGR/Ganassi playground they pull out all stops at Indy and that wont change. Did you see Paul Newman? Man he looks alot older then when I saw him before, but hey he's 80 something.

Morris, IL

#9 May 13, 2008
They will practice on Thursday and Friday so I'm looking to see them pick it up out there. That Mario Moraes, sp? is struggling. It will also be interesting to see if Jeff Simmons get in for Foyt.
Madge

Tampa, FL

#10 May 13, 2008
Lets go racing wrote:
I was surprised how much English he knows he must have been here for a while.
Madge

Tampa, FL

#11 May 13, 2008
Skip-SC wrote:
<quoted text>
Here! Here! We agree on that one.
Road America

United States

#12 May 14, 2008
I can't wait to see the 2009 sked. Hopefully the crappy 1 1/2 mile ICS cookie cutter tracks are gone. Iowa as well. It's a little too Iowa for a big league racing.
Cleveland
Road America
Mexico
Also, this 11,11,11 qualifying system that the IRL has at the 500 is terrible.
Ask Davey Hamilton, even Bryan Herta stated the obvious on his XM show.
Too much time and money is wasted having this type of system. Ask the Rahal-Latterman team. Ryan should be in the race but this stupid qualifying system has them putting a car back together instead!

Morris, IL

#13 May 14, 2008
Madge wrote:
<quoted text>I was surprised how much English he knows he must have been here for a while.
He lives in Indianapolis.
Kit

Tampa, FL

#14 May 14, 2008
Graham Rahal might win at Indy.

Morris, IL

#15 May 15, 2008
Kit wrote:
Graham Rahal might win at Indy.
You never know he might but I'm looking at another rookie at Indy Will Power :)
Dong

AOL

#16 May 15, 2008
Tell me this guys name isn't will power Meg!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dan Wheldon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Danica Patrick: 7 Reasons Her Move to NASCAR Ha... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Barr 3
Dan Wheldon nude (Jun '12) Jun '12 Efrain 1
News Dario Franchitti has his third Indianapolis 500... (May '12) May '12 Sons of Liberty 2
News Danica at 30: From NASCAR novelty to winner? (Mar '12) Mar '12 big 3 5
News IndyCar removes Barnhart from race control (Nov '11) Feb '12 acrim 3
News Jimmie Johnson calls on IndyCar to quit ovals (Oct '11) Feb '12 Hunglo 5
News Power set for 2012 after tragedy (Jan '12) Feb '12 Jeff 3