Dixon hopes to show he's best in Michigan's last

Scott Dixon is targeting a fourth consecutive IndyCar Series victory this weekend at Michigan International Speedway, which would be a record for the series. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
S-Track

Michigan City, IN

#1 Aug 4, 2007
What a shame this will be the last champ car race at MIS. I can only imagine how cool it would be to have twenty five to thirty competitive cars running on the high banks of Michigan again. I guess this will be another one of the good old days stories I will be telling my children, the way it used to be.

“Waiting to inhale”

Since: Feb 07

Chicago

#2 Aug 4, 2007
The last few years it's just driven me crazy to see those Michigan stands full for a stock car product---and I'm not slamming nascar here, I'm just stating the facts---that doesn't even come close to comparing to the Indycar product which only fills the front main grandstand. Things are so upside down in motorsports right now. Things really do need to change.
hateball

United States

#3 Aug 4, 2007
When CART raced there in 1996 the attendnace was 120,000.

Good thing the ingnoramus in which you have your proboscis firmly entrenched,lower intestine deep,through his anal cavity, fixed everything.

blaah blah spout,predictable nonsensical cutpaste, youtube link, blah blah blah indyCARTmike irl shill ramblings to follow..........

in

Scott

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Aug 4, 2007
Hateball - First, excellent name for you, since all you seem to do is spew vile, hate filled, sewage from your malformed, IQ challenged brain.
If you want to debate CART/Champ Car vs IRL, then by all means, drop the vitrolic language and bring some facts to the table.(By the way, I notice that much of your posts are devoted to discussing many things which would suggest you are a serious homophobe...or maybe me thinks he doth protest too much).
Anyway, if all you want to do is complain about Tony George, feel free to write him a letter (please try to make it legible, and you may want to consider a spell-check now and then).

Oh yeah, back to this post. Could you please show me one, just one instance where IndyCarMike57 has degraded CART/CC? Just one, that's all I'm looking for. I've read pretty much everything that's he's posted here and never have I seen anything that remotely resembles anything derogatory (You on the other hand are just the opposite).
Yes, I believe Mike prefers IRL slightly over Champ Car, but he watches both. I believe that would make him, by definition, an open-wheel racing FAN.
Conversely, YOU can not see past your hatred for TG and the IRL, and can only cut down anyone who even has a passing interest in the IRL...this doesn't make you anything other than a miserable zealot. You will never be more than that until the IRL folds their tent and shuts down. I don't see that happening, Tony's ego and deep pockets won't let it. So, will Champ Car fold? I don't see that happening at least in the next 3 or 4 years, Forsythe and Kalkhoven have equally deep pockets, but perhaps not quite the poor business sense that Tony has. At some point, I say they'll lose interest, say enough is enough, and walk away.
Until then, unless you have billions in the bank and can buy both sides out, we're stuck and no amount of hate spewing from idiots like you will change that.
For the record, I prefer Champ Car over IRL, but follow both.

Let the hate filled bile begin spewing in -
You moron...
hateball wrote:
When CART raced there in 1996 the attendnace was 120,000.
Good thing the ingnoramus in which you have your proboscis firmly entrenched,lower intestine deep,through his anal cavity, fixed everything.
blaah blah spout,predictable nonsensical cutpaste, youtube link, blah blah blah indyCARTmike irl shill ramblings to follow..........
in
Dr Evil

Blacksburg, VA

#5 Aug 4, 2007
Scott. You are wasting too much time on this loser. He does seem to be fixated on his dirt chute though.
Dr Evil

Blacksburg, VA

#6 Aug 4, 2007
I've been extending my IRL venues over the years... this is one track I was actually hoping to get to this year but it didn't pan out. NASCAR seems to be on the downslope... I was reading somewhere about NASCAR trying to get in the "hip-hop" market... LOL.
Indycarmike57 wrote:
The last few years it's just driven me crazy to see those Michigan stands full for a stock car product---and I'm not slamming nascar here, I'm just stating the facts---that doesn't even come close to comparing to the Indycar product which only fills the front main grandstand. Things are so upside down in motorsports right now. Things really do need to change.
Scott

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Aug 4, 2007
Normally, I'd ignore him, but I had some extra time this morning, and I was already in a bad mood, so, who better to vent on?
Dr Evil wrote:
Scott. You are wasting too much time on this loser. He does seem to be fixated on his dirt chute though.
Skip-SC

Lexington, SC

#8 Aug 4, 2007
Scott wrote:
Hateball - First, excellent name for you, since all you seem to do is spew vile, hate filled, sewage from your malformed, IQ challenged brain.
If you want to debate CART/Champ Car vs IRL, then by all means, drop the vitrolic language and bring some facts to the table.(By the way, I notice that much of your posts are devoted to discussing many things which would suggest you are a serious homophobe...or maybe me thinks he doth protest too much).
Anyway, if all you want to do is complain about Tony George, feel free to write him a letter (please try to make it legible, and you may want to consider a spell-check now and then).
Oh yeah, back to this post. Could you please show me one, just one instance where IndyCarMike57 has degraded CART/CC? Just one, that's all I'm looking for. I've read pretty much everything that's he's posted here and never have I seen anything that remotely resembles anything derogatory (You on the other hand are just the opposite).
Yes, I believe Mike prefers IRL slightly over Champ Car, but he watches both. I believe that would make him, by definition, an open-wheel racing FAN.
Conversely, YOU can not see past your hatred for TG and the IRL, and can only cut down anyone who even has a passing interest in the IRL...this doesn't make you anything other than a miserable zealot. You will never be more than that until the IRL folds their tent and shuts down. I don't see that happening, Tony's ego and deep pockets won't let it. So, will Champ Car fold? I don't see that happening at least in the next 3 or 4 years, Forsythe and Kalkhoven have equally deep pockets, but perhaps not quite the poor business sense that Tony has. At some point, I say they'll lose interest, say enough is enough, and walk away.
Until then, unless you have billions in the bank and can buy both sides out, we're stuck and no amount of hate spewing from idiots like you will change that.
For the record, I prefer Champ Car over IRL, but follow both.
Let the hate filled bile begin spewing in -
You moron...
<quoted text>
Scott, an excellent post. Like Mike, I lean toward the IRL, but would take much more interest in CCWS if they hadn't completely abandoned oval track racing.(I watched Michigan every year that CART/CCWS raced there, because I love the track.) That's just my preference. And, like Mike, I agree that both sides in this issue curry a great deal of blame for the sad state of open wheel racing.

I do disagree with your perception about the survival of both series indefinitely, but that again, is just my opinion. I can't see TG letting "his" IRL go down the tubes, particularly as long as his name is on the deed at IMS. I think in his heart of hearts, he knows that some sort of re-merger is critical, whether he's willing to move on it now, however, is quite another question.

As for the other side, I'm not so sure how long their interest will last, particularly considering the cost of racing their higher-tech machines.

And I'll even go one step further: I even watch (gasp) NASCAR! I'm just a racing "junkie" and would watch any circuit where I either knew the cars, the venue, or the drivers.

Long and short, there are some of us who, though we have our preferences, just like racing, and though we may debate coherently our personal opinions, we do not let it get personal or vitriolic as do some of the haters. Welcome to that group!

“Waiting to inhale”

Chicago

#9 Aug 4, 2007
Dr. Evil...I almost replied to him, "Why must I be surrounded by frickin' idiots?"

But...then I decided that it wasn't worth it. Thanks to you, and Scott, for your kind words.

I just love this sport. I first went to Indy in '73 and have only missed three races since then. I also go to Road America every year (other than the one a few year back where CCWS couldn't get it together). I do prefer the IRL...but that's only because it's the series that gathers at Indianapolis each May where this sport was born.

I want them all to do it again like it used to be. I want to see 100+ car entries there again like it used to be. One can only hope.

But it's a pretty complicated thing to piece back together at this point. I fear the only way it will happen at this point is KK and Forsythe deciding they don't want to spend their fortunes on CCWS anymore.

I'm actually heading out for the 3 1/2 hour drive from Chicago to Michigan. Yep! Goin to the race...it may be the last one there for awhile.

Catch ya!

“Waiting to inhale”

Chicago

#10 Aug 4, 2007
You too, Skip...thanks...you're the man!!
Scott

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Aug 4, 2007
Skip,
Thanks.
Please re-read the part of my post that discusses Tony's staying power vs. Kalkhoven and Forsythe's. I believe we agree on this point, yes? No way is Tony throwing in the towel, too big an ego.
But I'm not sure KK and GF have the stomache to keep losing millions year after year (that's what I meant by better business sense). UNLESS, they can bring in a few more teams and either start breaking even, or even making money, then, I don't see them losing interest for a very long time.
As for CC's high tech machine cost, I believe it's cheaper now to run a season in CC than it is in the IRL. Someone out there will know the exact numbers, but last I heard, it was something like $2MM/year to run in CC and $4MM+/year in IRL. I could be wrong about that, but those are numbers I seem to remember.
Like I said, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
One other thing about CC's DP01, it's a beautiful car, I got to see it up close at the CC banquet last fall...it rocks!

Anyway, I do agree with you that CC shouldn't have abandoned ovals completely. I miss the mix. The IRL needs a few more road/street courses to even out their schedule (but not Belle Isle, horrible venue), and honestly, I can't stand to see the IRL race at the less than mile tracks. I know they make incredible speed for the track, but it just irritates me to see them going that slow in circles.
I also hope that they work on their aero package for next year. The racing has really been lacking in passing this year.

I'll leave you with this comment:
NASCAR...ewww! Just kidding. I did watch the last 15 laps of the Brickyard (rooting for Montoya all the way), I wouldn't have been awake if I'd tried to watch the whole race. Maybe it's the sound of the engines that puts me to sleep...
Skip-SC wrote:
<quoted text>
Scott, an excellent post. Like Mike, I lean toward the IRL, but would take much more interest in CCWS if they hadn't completely abandoned oval track racing.(I watched Michigan every year that CART/CCWS raced there, because I love the track.) That's just my preference. And, like Mike, I agree that both sides in this issue curry a great deal of blame for the sad state of open wheel racing.
I do disagree with your perception about the survival of both series indefinitely, but that again, is just my opinion. I can't see TG letting "his" IRL go down the tubes, particularly as long as his name is on the deed at IMS. I think in his heart of hearts, he knows that some sort of re-merger is critical, whether he's willing to move on it now, however, is quite another question.
As for the other side, I'm not so sure how long their interest will last, particularly considering the cost of racing their higher-tech machines.
And I'll even go one step further: I even watch (gasp) NASCAR! I'm just a racing "junkie" and would watch any circuit where I either knew the cars, the venue, or the drivers.
Long and short, there are some of us who, though we have our preferences, just like racing, and though we may debate coherently our personal opinions, we do not let it get personal or vitriolic as do some of the haters. Welcome to that group!
Scott

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Aug 4, 2007
Mike,

Enjoy...wish I could be there this weekend.
Indycarmike57 wrote:
Dr. Evil...I almost replied to him, "Why must I be surrounded by frickin' idiots?"
But...then I decided that it wasn't worth it. Thanks to you, and Scott, for your kind words.
I just love this sport. I first went to Indy in '73 and have only missed three races since then. I also go to Road America every year (other than the one a few year back where CCWS couldn't get it together). I do prefer the IRL...but that's only because it's the series that gathers at Indianapolis each May where this sport was born.
I want them all to do it again like it used to be. I want to see 100+ car entries there again like it used to be. One can only hope.
But it's a pretty complicated thing to piece back together at this point. I fear the only way it will happen at this point is KK and Forsythe deciding they don't want to spend their fortunes on CCWS anymore.
I'm actually heading out for the 3 1/2 hour drive from Chicago to Michigan. Yep! Goin to the race...it may be the last one there for awhile.
Catch ya!
Hey S Track

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Aug 4, 2007
Champ Car's last race at MIS was in 2001. But this would be a great opportunity for them to take it over.
Chief

Union Springs, NY

#14 Aug 4, 2007
KK and GF going away doesn't solve anything. Absorbing CCWS or tossing it's ashes to wind will not save this sport.

The sport has suffered irrepairable damage purely due to Tony George severing the sport like a spoiled brat who didn't want to share his toys. He's the only one that counts, he's the only one who can bring it all back together again BUT he doesn't, he won't and is SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for the condition of the sport NOW.

FANS of the sport are pizzed at HIM and are walking away from the sport because of HIM and what HE'S done. CCWS magically going away doesn't erase the deeply entrenched hatred for the damage he's done to the sport....AND he doesn't seem to care. You Indiana people are so defensive about him and the 500 that it taints your viewpoint. Step away from the magical kingdom and see exactly what fans, the media, and the motorsport world know. Better yet, what is Tony's plan for the future of open wheel? Or doesn't anyone care as long as they have the 500 on memorial day weekend, just like always? I'll bet NONE of you know or care.
ChumpCarCharlie

United States

#15 Aug 4, 2007
Hey S Track wrote:
Champ Car's last race at MIS was in 2001. But this would be a great opportunity for them to take it over.
ChumpCars dont race ovals.. besides, the only thing they could 'take over' would be the drive thru at McDonalds..
ChampCar Superiority

United States

#16 Aug 5, 2007
Michigan is proof positive that anything the IRL touches FAILs.

This is just the latest and will not be the last.

the brownout kool aid chuggers will blame the promoters and toe the toney line but when it's all said and done.....the product of the IRL sux wang and is the sole reason for FAILURE at MIS and any other track they will soon be kicked out of.

keep trying Girls.
Skip-SC

Lexington, SC

#17 Aug 5, 2007
Hey S Track wrote:
I wish CCWS WOULD reconsider their elimination of oval track racing. Michigan would be the perfect place, and (call me old fashioned) I'd like to see open wheel cars back at Pocono too.

I would really enjoy watching the turbocharged machines roar around either place. Maybe someday when KK and GF have tired of hemmorhaging money trying to be F-1, they'll consider it.
S-Track

Michigan City, IN

#18 Aug 5, 2007
Hey S Track wrote:
I was using champ car in the descriptive form. I guess I should have said open wheel.
S-Track

Michigan City, IN

#19 Aug 5, 2007
ChumpCarCharlie wrote:
<quoted text>
ChumpCars dont race ovals.. besides, the only thing they could 'take over' would be the drive thru at McDonalds..
Oh that is just soooo funny. What an idiot you must be.
Chief

Union Springs, NY

#20 Aug 5, 2007
106 fans in the stands on Saturday.....on ESPN2 at NOON...NO support series races this weekend. The IRL and TONY GEORGE really cares about OPEN WHEEL OVAL TRACK preservation. Michigan was an absolute ghost town. THE IRL has disposed of 12 to 13 oval tracks in 12 years. THE IRL IS A FAILURE, TONY you need to pay for your destruction of this sport.

DENOUNCE IRL, DENOUNCE TONY GEORGE, HE is repsponsible for the failure of the sport NOW. HE needs to get out NOW.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dan Wheldon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Danica Patrick: 7 Reasons Her Move to NASCAR Ha... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Barr 3
Dan Wheldon nude (Jun '12) Jun '12 Efrain 1
Dario Franchitti has his third Indianapolis 500... (May '12) May '12 Sons of Liberty 2
Danica at 30: From NASCAR novelty to winner? (Mar '12) Mar '12 big 3 5
IndyCar removes Barnhart from race control (Nov '11) Feb '12 acrim 3
Jimmie Johnson calls on IndyCar to quit ovals (Oct '11) Feb '12 Hunglo 5
Power set for 2012 after tragedy (Jan '12) Feb '12 Jeff 3

Dan Wheldon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE