Wheldon must stay in IRL for 2008

Wheldon must stay in IRL for 2008

There are 56 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Aug 27, 2007, titled Wheldon must stay in IRL for 2008. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Dan Wheldon won't be the next open-wheel driver to move to NASCAR so long as team owner Chip Ganassi has the final say.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
let me edumacate you

United States

#42 Aug 28, 2007
Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text>. I like IRL better to, but it's because I live close to Indy and the 500, they can't take that away from me :)
Dude. Put down the kool-aid filled bong.

IT HAS ALREADY BEEN TAKEN AWAY FROM YOU.

You don't even make sense.
If you like the IRL because you like the 500 and you live close to Indy, then you should have known what Indy was and what Indy meant. PAST TENSE.

It's gone. No More. History.

Tony stole it from me. He stole it from you. He stole it from every driver who has "won" the race since 95. He has DESTROYED it.

If you truly knew the 500, then you truly understand that it is LONG GONE and the IRL is tool he used to satisfy his ego and destroy open wheel.

Therefore, you are an oxymoron.

Since: Aug 07

AOL

#43 Aug 28, 2007
let me edumacate you wrote:
<quoted text>
If you like the IRL because you like the 500 and you live close to Indy, then you should have known what Indy was and what Indy meant. PAST TENSE.
Tony stole it from me. He stole it from you. He stole it from every driver who has "won" the race since 95. He has DESTROYED it.
If you truly knew the 500, then you truly understand that it is LONG GONE and the IRL is tool he used to satisfy his ego and destroy open wheel.
I'm a chic and you're wrong something has been taken from you maybe but not me. If you lost the passion for the 500 that's your deal not mine. I don't have a problem with it and I don't have a problem with the drivers and I don't have a problem with Tony George. Those are your issues and I think it's a little bit old to be harping on them. If you ever cared about Indy the track or the drivers from the old days you wouldn't be so quick to stomp on it.

Ski

“Is It Friday Yet?????”

Since: May 07

Smalltown New York

#44 Aug 29, 2007
Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text>I'm a chic and you're wrong something has been taken from you maybe but not me. If you lost the passion for the 500 that's your deal not mine. I don't have a problem with it and I don't have a problem with the drivers and I don't have a problem with Tony George. Those are your issues and I think it's a little bit old to be harping on them. If you ever cared about Indy the track or the drivers from the old days you wouldn't be so quick to stomp on it.
This guy ...the lurker...is just mad at the world. He seems to take the split very personal. Kind of like a guy who can't let go of an old girlfriend. I think he will eventually strangle his per gerbil and be found dangling from the ceiling fan naked.
Don't egg him on. He will never go away if you do.

“Waiting to inhale”

Since: Feb 07

Chicago

#45 Aug 29, 2007
Hey Norman...

"No... wire... hangers. What's wire hangers doing in this closet when I told you: no wire hangers EVER!!!!"
let me edumacate you wrote:
<quoted text>

Ski

“Is It Friday Yet?????”

Smalltown New York

#46 Aug 29, 2007
Hey lurker...

Some interesting reading for you. You can read, right? I mean you don't just look at the pictures.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/champ/20...

Sorry to hear that your world series is about to strike out. Come on over Garrett. The IRL would be happy to have you.
JJJ

Indianapolis, IN

#47 Aug 29, 2007
Ski wrote:
Hey lurker...
Some interesting reading for you. You can read, right? I mean you don't just look at the pictures.
Sorry to hear that your world series is about to strike out. Come on over Garrett. The IRL would be happy to have you.
So the IRL races have happened because of their sponsors? Do you really think that Tony's money hasn't underwritten the IRL races? PUT THE KOLL-AID DOWN!

AOL

#48 Aug 29, 2007
Ski wrote:
Hey lurker...
Good article it makes a point that's for sure. I don't want to see either series suffer but this does tell them not to put the IRL to bed it's far from over. Tony George will make sure races happen I don't have a doubt about that. On a lighter note Helio Castroneves is doing dancing with the stars, lol.
CareerLeader

Louisville, KY

#49 Aug 29, 2007
Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text>Nice try but no ones buying this b/s. Honey Indiana has enough fans for the 500 alone, you can say we're Cart which is now Champ but as long as there's a track here in Indiana there's a passion for the IRL and the Indy 500. You live elsewhere so you don't have a clue, sorry. Oh and DAnica is just marketing alot of people don't even care about her, including me and I'm a girl.
Where's the passion in Indiana?

Anybody who's been sitting in the 4th turn for the last 20 years know that the passion is gone... a once mighty infield full of fans is gone. The north chute and 3rd turn now show embarassing gaps everywhere.

And it takes more than Indiana passion to put on the race... IMS has been moving the start time move the race into a better time slot for national coverage... viewership is still going down.

Only six drivers have found their way to vitory circle. Only 8 drivers are really in the running for the podium each race... the rest can only hope for a massive pileup or freak pit strategy to get them there.

Guess what... I am an Indycar fan. I've attended only Indy events this year and watched only Rolex and ALMS in addition to Indy.

People have made it clear in this thread that the IRL is here to stay... forget about fighting with champcar fans and other folks who can actually open their eyes to the problems this series has.

If the passion were really there, the 8 seats that Dad first bought before I was born wouldn't have moved from the fifth row from the bottom all of the way up to the top row in section 26 of the J stand.

Honestly, how could the seats have moved up by 3 rows in over 20 years before the split, then move all of the way to the top in just under 10?

Blind faith isn't getting the series anywhere.

“Waiting to inhale”

Since: Feb 07

Chicago

#50 Aug 29, 2007
The tracks all pay big sanctioning fees to the IRL to feature Indycar events at their facilities. They range from a million to a-million-and-a-half dollars per race. None of us know what the IRL's operating budget is to make a judgment as to whether TG "underwrites the league." The story goes he used his Brickyard 400 money to LAUNCH the league. But to say the league is not self-sustaining at this point is speculative. Those side pods on cars sure look sponsored…and the aforementioned sanctioning fees? That's over $20 million in gross revenue to the IRL right there. ABC/Disney also pays television rights fees to the IRL. So…I don’t think I’d conclude that TG “underwrites” the IRL based on those facts.
JJJ wrote:
<quoted text>
So the IRL races have happened because of their sponsors? Do you really think that Tony's money hasn't underwritten the IRL races? PUT THE KOLL-AID DOWN!
Chris

United States

#51 Aug 29, 2007
Either way we look at it, whether it’s a sliver of good news for either series or bad news for either series the only people who know about it are the core fans. Open wheel has achieved an irrelevant status not only in the sports culture but in American culture as well. I love open wheel and am very partial to CCWS but I’m one of the few who cares either way. It seems like I am only joined by the others on this forum in sharing their passion. All of us can state all the facts we want to pump up our beloved series but the ugly truth is that we are pretty much the only people who care. At this point all of our passion is directed into a sport that has lost most of its relevancy. CCWS and the IRL are a lot like dumb and dumber and I say that being a passionate fan. If I wasn’t a fan of open wheel racing years ago I would never be a fan now. Both leagues are pretty much a joke and barely surviving. If you’re an up and coming driver or a potential sponsor why would you want to be involved in any way with open wheel? CCWS cancels Phoenix and TMS only signs a contract through 2009. Why? Because even though they put out a puff PR article praising the league they know open wheel is headed for more serious trouble. We can argue all we want but we are the only ones right now who hear it or even care in the least. Sorry, but that’s the grim reality that open wheel has found itself in. The good news is that open wheels failure would never lure me to NASCAR.
mitch

Berkeley, CA

#52 Aug 29, 2007
CareerLeader wrote:
<quoted text>
Where's the passion in Indiana?
Anybody who's been sitting in the 4th turn for the last 20 years know that the passion is gone... a once mighty infield full of fans is gone. The north chute and 3rd turn now show embarassing gaps everywhere.
And it takes more than Indiana passion to put on the race... IMS has been moving the start time move the race into a better time slot for national coverage... viewership is still going down.
Only six drivers have found their way to vitory circle. Only 8 drivers are really in the running for the podium each race... the rest can only hope for a massive pileup or freak pit strategy to get them there.
Guess what... I am an Indycar fan. I've attended only Indy events this year and watched only Rolex and ALMS in addition to Indy.
People have made it clear in this thread that the IRL is here to stay... forget about fighting with champcar fans and other folks who can actually open their eyes to the problems this series has.
If the passion were really there, the 8 seats that Dad first bought before I was born wouldn't have moved from the fifth row from the bottom all of the way up to the top row in section 26 of the J stand.
Honestly, how could the seats have moved up by 3 rows in over 20 years before the split, then move all of the way to the top in just under 10?
Blind faith isn't getting the series anywhere.
Haven't the TV ratings gone up every year since 2004? I don't think that it's blind faith; It's just that, hopefully, the worst is over. On the racing front, most years only 3 or 4 drivers have had a real chance to win. It's been that way since the sixties.
CareerLeader

Louisville, KY

#53 Aug 29, 2007
Heck, up until the end of 2003 the money wasn't coming from brickyard income... it was coming directly out of the Hulman Trust! It took legal action from the sisters to stop him from using the money to subsidize the IRL activity.

The league is clearly NOT self sustaining today. There is just enough sponsorship money to go around to get 16-18 cars on the track as it is.

Thats just to field a car which is a far, far step away from having enough money to do the r&d necessary to field a car with a snowball's chance of winning a race.

Self sustaining means having enough money to not only field cars and sanction races, but also to create a series with ENOUGH competitive cars that the fan support and sponsorship money will allow the series to continue.

When you've got a team like Vision (probably the 4th best team on the track most weeks) looking like it may slip from 3 cars to 1 and you've only got 17 cars at most races it is NOT self sustaining.

Does TG underwrite the IRL? No, he can't possibly do that anymore because the only source for money is the IRL and IMS.
CareerLeader

Louisville, KY

#54 Aug 29, 2007
mitch wrote:
<quoted text>
Haven't the TV ratings gone up every year since 2004? I don't think that it's blind faith; It's just that, hopefully, the worst is over. On the racing front, most years only 3 or 4 drivers have had a real chance to win. It's been that way since the sixties.
Have they been? How were the ratings for the 500 this year?

I'm not talking about winning a championship. I'm talking about winning a race. Between talent level and equipment, literally no more than 6 drivers have a chance next Sunday. No more than 6 had a chance last sunday. No more than 6 have a chance at Chicagoland.

Seriously, if Hornish/Helio/Dario/TK/Wheldon /Dixon aren't at the front of the field, then you can be sure that there are more than 10 laps to go in the race.

If only the Powerball were such a sure bet.

Ski

“Is It Friday Yet?????”

Smalltown New York

#55 Aug 29, 2007
CareerLeader wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not talking about winning a championship. I'm talking about winning a race. Between talent level and equipment, literally no more than 6 drivers have a chance next Sunday. No more than 6 had a chance last sunday. No more than 6 have a chance at Chicagoland.
Seriously, if Hornish/Helio/Dario/TK/Wheldon /Dixon aren't at the front of the field, then you can be sure that there are more than 10 laps to go in the race.
It's kind of like that with CCWS, F1 and NASCAR to though. There are only a few drivers that usually have a chance of winning.
mitch

Berkeley, CA

#56 Aug 29, 2007
CareerLeader wrote:
<quoted text>
Ouch,

You got me on the 2007 ratings, but it was probably because of the rain delay. Stilll, I stand corrected.

AOL

#57 Aug 29, 2007
Either way I'm keeping my damn kool aid bong (thanks whoever suggested it I don't drink alcohol) and going to the track, I plan on doing this for the rest of my life. All this technical stuff does nothing to deter me, call it blind faith whatever. There's actually nothing I love more then the Indy 500 and there's plenty of people who feel the same way. The thing with Tony George saying they can go here or there that happens everyyear then a sponser comes around. I've seen Foyt do this for years and years. Nascar ratings are down and the most talented drivers don't necessarily win there either. As for Tony George being stopped to take money from this or that, announcing you need a sponser is a tactic to get one. Also have you seen his mom lately she's getting older and older, can you even imagine this dudes money he'll get from the will? I hear people say all the time there's no one in the stands. They look up in the press stands most the time and say this. It looked pretty full to me on race day and I was there. I haven't been able to upgrade my tickets from A to the first turn stand B so those of you who want to pull out let me know if you have tickets in that section. I'd be more then glad to take them off your hands. I really can't believe people think that there's not enough money to keep this functioning. You have to remember those people or his family supposedly taking action against him sit on the board so why would they want that to fail also. I'm not even going to entertain the fact he doesn't have the money to keep it afloat that ludacris.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dan Wheldon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Danica Patrick: 7 Reasons Her Move to NASCAR Ha... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Barr 3
Dan Wheldon nude (Jun '12) Jun '12 Efrain 1
News Dario Franchitti has his third Indianapolis 500... (May '12) May '12 Sons of Liberty 2
News Danica at 30: From NASCAR novelty to winner? (Mar '12) Mar '12 big 3 5
News IndyCar removes Barnhart from race control (Nov '11) Feb '12 acrim 3
News Jimmie Johnson calls on IndyCar to quit ovals (Oct '11) Feb '12 Hunglo 5
News Power set for 2012 after tragedy (Jan '12) Feb '12 Jeff 3
More from around the web