Rain plays havoc with Indianpolis 500...

Rain plays havoc with Indianpolis 500 preparations

There are 45 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 11, 2008, titled Rain plays havoc with Indianpolis 500 preparations. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Eleven more cars were scheduled to join the field Sunday for the May 25 Indianapolis 500.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Since: Aug 07

Morris, IL

#21 May 15, 2008
Tim from Canada wrote:
<quoted text>Next up Danica vs the SI Jinx.
Wouldn't that have happened the first time she was on it?!

“Isaiah 60:10”

Since: Nov 07

Drake CO

#22 May 16, 2008
Yep wrote:
<quoted text>Uhm go to a store she's on the cover of SI no media coverage! You're lost and dumb. DB
OK, now I understand how to communicate with you:

UHM, you know, uhm, the ahhh, SI coverage was, uhm, like, y'know a stock file photo. Uhm, ya get it, huh?

IR speak is a difficult language.

“Isaiah 60:10”

Since: Nov 07

Drake CO

#23 May 16, 2008
I notice all you DP fans run for cover when it comes time to lay it on the line - or should I say drive over the pit crew - and make a prediction where she will finish.

You "guys" are a bigger joke than she is. Some fans you are.

PS - Correction to earlier report
Number of Pit Crew hit in last 10 days 1
Number of Pit Crew Killed in last 30 days - 0

Good job DP!
Good LUCK all you pit crew members. Make sure your affairs are in order and insurance paid in full.
Be gone

Morris, IL

#24 May 16, 2008
Who cars what you think? no one likes you why don't you go to offbeat with the kind like you stalker.
Be gone

Morris, IL

#25 May 16, 2008
Rich get richer
It was in May 2005 that Indy introduced the current qualifying system, which fills the field with 11 cars on each of three days. Previously, drivers who posted times on pole day were in the field until it was filled and the slowest cars started getting bumped.

Under that old system, 20 drivers would have qualified Saturday for this year's race. But now the nine slowest must fret and sweat for another week.

"I like it in theory," said Oriol Servia of KV Racing Technology. "I like dividing the top 11, 22, 33.

"The only problem is, if it rains, it pushes two-thirds of the field to have to qualify the second weekend, which means that this next week we cannot just work on race setup like the top 11 cars.

"So you're telling me that the top 11 cars — who obviously have better cars; that's why they're in the top 11 — now they can work on their race cars. So they're going to have a huge advantage."

Countered Barnhart: "I don't think it's that bad, because there are six hours a day of practice each of those three days. It's just that they'll have to manage it wisely. It's just a matter of being smart about when you're doing what you're doing. You're going to work on both (qualifying setup and race setup)."

Likes attract
Eyebrows popped up Saturday when Target Chip Ganassi's Dan Wheldon went out late to take a shot at teammate Scott Dixon, who was sitting on the pole. But Sunday morning, Wheldon had a ready explanation for his surprising move.

"When [Dixon] gets in the car, he will give it his all," Wheldon said. "That's why I think we get along as teammates, because I think we both understand. He knew that I would try and best his time, and I know that if I had beaten it, he would have got in and tried to go again. That's just the way we both are,[and] that's why it works.

"He's a guy that's dedicated to his job and wants to win. He's not just riding around. It's nice to be on a team with somebody like that."
Be gone

Morris, IL

#26 May 16, 2008
Likes attract
Eyebrows popped up Saturday when Target Chip Ganassi's Dan Wheldon went out late to take a shot at teammate Scott Dixon, who was sitting on the pole. But Sunday morning, Wheldon had a ready explanation for his surprising move.

"When [Dixon] gets in the car, he will give it his all," Wheldon said. "That's why I think we get along as teammates, because I think we both understand. He knew that I would try and best his time, and I know that if I had beaten it, he would have got in and tried to go again. That's just the way we both are,[and] that's why it works.

"He's a guy that's dedicated to his job and wants to win. He's not just riding around. It's nice to be on a team with somebody like that."

No regrets
In 1994, Tony George, the chief executive officer of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, founded the IRL. That created the schism that severely damaged open-wheel racing in this country. Its fan base abated, its best drivers scattered and not until February did the series finally unify with Champ Car.

Was that schism avoidable?

"Am I somehow remorseful over starting the Indy Racing League. No," George said. "I think a lot of things have come out of it that are very good.

"We set a new standard for competition. We've done a lot to improve safety. Those are things to be proud of.

"It became a challenge for both us and Champ Car ... to have to begin every conversation trying to explain the split. Well, we don't have to do that anymore. That's one of the byproducts.

"One of the things to get excited about going forward is talking about positive things and not always looking back."

And finally
Asked if he feels vindicated by the unification after being vilified for so long, George said:

"No. I'm still vilified. It just feels nice to be able to look forward."
Be gone

Morris, IL

#27 May 16, 2008
Rain plays havoc with Indianapolis 500 preparations
22 cars will attempt to qualify Saturday
By Skip Myslenski | Tribune reporter
8:43 PM CDT, May 11, 2008
Article tools
* EmailE-mail
* Share
o Digg
o Del.icio.us
o Facebook
o Fark
o Google
o Newsvine
o Reddit
o Yahoo
* PrintPrint
* ReprintReprints
* Post comment
* Text size:increase text sizedecrease text size
INDIANAPOLIS - Eleven more cars were scheduled to join the field Sunday for the May 25 Indianapolis 500. But rain intervened, and the track was closed shortly after noon.
That means 22 cars will attempt to qualify Saturday, with bump day to follow a day later.
"It's really unfortunate," said Brian Barnhart, the Indy Racing League's competition president. "It's a shame, because it certainly alters everybody's plans for the week.
"It's been a bit of a challenge losing both Wednesday and Thursday and a half-day Friday and now Sunday [to rain]. The teams are going to be really anxious to get quality track time [when the track reopens] Wednesday through Friday."
Rich get richer
It was in May 2005 that Indy introduced the current qualifying system, which fills the field with 11 cars on each of three days. Previously, drivers who posted times on pole day were in the field until it was filled and the slowest cars started getting bumped.
Under that old system, 20 drivers would have qualified Saturday for this year's race. But now the nine slowest must fret and sweat for another week.
"I like it in theory," said Oriol Servia of KV Racing Technology. "I like dividing the top 11, 22, 33.
"The only problem is, if it rains, it pushes two-thirds of the field to have to qualify the second weekend, which means that this next week we cannot just work on race setup like the top 11 cars.
"So you're telling me that the top 11 cars — who obviously have better cars; that's why they're in the top 11 — now they can work on their race cars. So they're going to have a huge advantage."
Countered Barnhart: "I don't think it's that bad, because there are six hours a day of practice each of those three days. It's just that they'll have to manage it wisely. It's just a matter of being smart about when you're doing what you're doing. You're going to work on both (qualifying setup and race setup)."

Since: Aug 07

Morris, IL

#28 May 16, 2008
Be gone wrote:
Rain plays havoc with Indianapolis 500 preparations
22 cars will attempt to qualify Saturday
By Skip Myslenski | Tribune reporter
8:43 PM CDT, May 11, 2008
Article tools
* EmailE-mail
* Share
o Digg
o Del.icio.us
o Facebook
o Fark
o Google
o Newsvine
o Reddit
o Yahoo
* PrintPrint
* ReprintReprints
* Post comment
* Text size:increase text sizedecrease text size
INDIANAPOLIS - Eleven more cars were scheduled to join the field Sunday for the May 25 Indianapolis 500. But rain intervened, and the track was closed shortly after noon.
That means 22 cars will attempt to qualify Saturday, with bump day to follow a day later.
"It's really unfortunate," said Brian Barnhart, the Indy Racing League's competition president. "It's a shame, because it certainly alters everybody's plans for the week.
"It's been a bit of a challenge losing both Wednesday and Thursday and a half-day Friday and now Sunday [to rain]. The teams are going to be really anxious to get quality track time [when the track reopens] Wednesday through Friday."
Rich get richer
It was in May 2005 that Indy introduced the current qualifying system, which fills the field with 11 cars on each of three days. Previously, drivers who posted times on pole day were in the field until it was filled and the slowest cars started getting bumped.
Under that old system, 20 drivers would have qualified Saturday for this year's race. But now the nine slowest must fret and sweat for another week.
"I like it in theory," said Oriol Servia of KV Racing Technology. "I like dividing the top 11, 22, 33.
"The only problem is, if it rains, it pushes two-thirds of the field to have to qualify the second weekend, which means that this next week we cannot just work on race setup like the top 11 cars.
"So you're telling me that the top 11 cars — who obviously have better cars; that's why they're in the top 11 — now they can work on their race cars. So they're going to have a huge advantage."
Countered Barnhart: "I don't think it's that bad, because there are six hours a day of practice each of those three days. It's just that they'll have to manage it wisely. It's just a matter of being smart about when you're doing what you're doing. You're going to work on both (qualifying setup and race setup)."
That looks like something I would do to get back on subject brilliant I say. LOL :)

Since: Aug 07

Morris, IL

#29 May 16, 2008
Ski wrote:
Do you have anything of worth to share with the rest of us, or are you going to continue to show everyone how much of an idiot you are?
It showed it again!!!

Since: Aug 07

Morris, IL

#30 May 16, 2008
Briscoe wrecked today but it was a back up! Good deal!
Tim from Canada

Whitby, Canada

#31 May 16, 2008
Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text>Wouldn't that have happened the first time she was on it?!
Not always, some say the jinx doesn't kick in till you have actually done something (ie win a race) to earn it.

“Isaiah 60:10”

Since: Nov 07

Drake CO

#32 May 17, 2008
Be gone wrote:
Rain plays havoc with Indianapolis 500 preparations
22 cars will attempt to qualify Saturday
By Skip Myslenski | Tribune reporter
8:43 PM CDT, May 11, 2008
Article tools
* EmailE-mail
* Share
o Digg
o Del.icio.us
o Facebook
o Fark
o Google
o Newsvine
o Reddit
o Yahoo
* PrintPrint
* ReprintReprints
* Post comment
* Text size:increase text sizedecrease text size
INDIANAPOLIS - Eleven more cars were scheduled to join the field Sunday for the May 25 Indianapolis 500. But rain intervened, and the track was closed shortly after noon.
That means 22 cars will attempt to qualify Saturday, with bump day to follow a day later.
"It's really unfortunate," said Brian Barnhart, the Indy Racing League's competition president. "It's a shame, because it certainly alters everybody's plans for the week.
"It's been a bit of a challenge losing both Wednesday and Thursday and a half-day Friday and now Sunday [to rain]. The teams are going to be really anxious to get quality track time [when the track reopens] Wednesday through Friday."
Rich get richer
It was in May 2005 that Indy introduced the current qualifying system, which fills the field with 11 cars on each of three days. Previously, drivers who posted times on pole day were in the field until it was filled and the slowest cars started getting bumped.
Under that old system, 20 drivers would have qualified Saturday for this year's race. But now the nine slowest must fret and sweat for another week.
"I like it in theory," said Oriol Servia of KV Racing Technology. "I like dividing the top 11, 22, 33.
"The only problem is, if it rains, it pushes two-thirds of the field to have to qualify the second weekend, which means that this next week we cannot just work on race setup like the top 11 cars.
"So you're telling me that the top 11 cars — who obviously have better cars; that's why they're in the top 11 — now they can work on their race cars. So they're going to have a huge advantage."
Countered Barnhart: "I don't think it's that bad, because there are six hours a day of practice each of those three days. It's just that they'll have to manage it wisely. It's just a matter of being smart about when you're doing what you're doing. You're going to work on both (qualifying setup and race setup)."
As a Parrot, it must be very hard for you to cut-and-paste other people's materials. Do you use a touch screen or a keyboard?

I think it is great that all you Parrots have a place to flock.

NO TAKERS for the DP prediction, huh? That comes as no surprise. A person needs facts and a backbone to make a prediction.

In my next lesson, Be Gone, I will teach you about copyright laws. Parrots should only break the law on purpose. Enjoy the crackers this weekend.
5th angel is a troll

Morris, IL

#33 May 17, 2008
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
5th angel

Morris, IL

#34 May 17, 2008
No one cares to converse with you you're way to stoopid! Go to offbeat there's freaks of your nature over there!
TAO

Tampa, FL

#35 May 17, 2008
The 5th Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
As a Parrot, it must be very hard for you to cut-and-paste other people's materials. Do you use a touch screen or a keyboard?
I think it is great that all you Parrots have a place to flock.
NO TAKERS for the DP prediction, huh? That comes as no surprise. A person needs facts and a backbone to make a prediction.
In my next lesson, Be Gone, I will teach you about copyright laws. Parrots should only break the law on purpose. Enjoy the crackers this weekend.
Come to papa I'l l give you something to do with your time.
TAO

Tampa, FL

#36 May 17, 2008
5th angel wrote:
No one cares to converse with you you're way to stoopid! Go to offbeat there's freaks of your nature over there!
You're being mean to my new lady.
Catch

Heraklion, Greece

#37 May 17, 2008
TAO wrote:
<quoted text>You're being mean to my new lady.
Screw that lard lady.
Catch

Heraklion, Greece

#38 May 17, 2008
5th angel is a pervert. Look what I found.

My name’s 5th. I’m a recovering college student from Kansas City…the one in Missouri. I don’t exactly recall my first encounter with Wikipedia, but it must have been sometime in 2002, and I was instantly hooked. The idea of having a single, unified, unbiased source of near-universal information makes my nipples hard. Ooh, there they go.

Ski

“Is It Friday Yet?????”

Since: May 07

Smalltown New York

#39 May 19, 2008
The 5th Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
As a Parrot, it must be very hard for you to cut-and-paste other people's materials. Do you use a touch screen or a keyboard?
I think it is great that all you Parrots have a place to flock.
NO TAKERS for the DP prediction, huh? That comes as no surprise. A person needs facts and a backbone to make a prediction.
In my next lesson, Be Gone, I will teach you about copyright laws. Parrots should only break the law on purpose. Enjoy the crackers this weekend.
Dude!!!!!! Once again I am on the floor, tears streaming from my eyes, tummy aching, laughing until I almost wet my britches.
You are going to give someone a lesson?????
IN WHAT ??!!! How to be a complete Idiot??

I have offered numerous times to explain how things really work to you, but you ignore my graciousness and continue to make a fool of yourself.

I humor you and make my prediction as to where Danica will finish this coming weekend but once again you ignore me and continue to make a fool of yourself.

I think you ignore me because you realize I am on to you. I know that you are enthralled with Danica but are afraid that the rest of the Good Ol' Boys in your NASCAR fantasy racing league would give you a swirley if they found out.

How embarrassing would that be...they stuff you noggin in the comode and your mullett wig comes off and plugs the bowl.

You have to come clean sooner or later. Eventually one of them will find your copy of the SI swim suit issue with the Danica spread pages all dog eared and sticky.

Since: Apr 08

Chicago, IL

#40 May 23, 2008
this 5th angel..just look at his post history in his profile all he does is flame,troll and insult people in virtually EVERY thread...i wouldnt care at all expect this pathetic worm is in almost every forum i visit related to my hometown. This includes teams,newspapers etc just spewing his garbage and disrupting threads causing 5-10-20 people all counter attacking him therefore destroying the thread. He's just like a crack addict except he's addicted to anonymity, and of course; a virgin.

Oh ya he's also claims now to be a NFL Scout

http://www.topix.com/forum/source/chicago-tri...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dan Wheldon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Danica Patrick: 7 Reasons Her Move to NASCAR Ha... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Barr 3
Dan Wheldon nude (Jun '12) Jun '12 Efrain 1
News Dario Franchitti has his third Indianapolis 500... (May '12) May '12 Sons of Liberty 2
News Danica at 30: From NASCAR novelty to winner? (Mar '12) Mar '12 big 3 5
News IndyCar removes Barnhart from race control (Nov '11) Feb '12 acrim 3
News Jimmie Johnson calls on IndyCar to quit ovals (Oct '11) Feb '12 Hunglo 5
News Power set for 2012 after tragedy (Jan '12) Feb '12 Jeff 3
More from around the web