No penalty for Patrick's push

No penalty for Patrick's push

There are 149 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jun 6, 2007, titled No penalty for Patrick's push. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Danica Patrick won't be penalized for her grab-and-push of Dan Wheldon after Sunday's Indy-car race in Milwaukee.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

IndyCarFan

Noblesville, IN

#21 Jun 6, 2007
Indy Gal wrote:
Sorry guys, I say You Go Girl!
I agree!
IndyCarFan

Noblesville, IN

#22 Jun 6, 2007
Beotch wrote:
Manica wants to have it both ways. She wants to be Glamour Shots model (but built like a teenage boy) and be photgraphed being a tough guy. All PR crap.
Good thing the little witch didn't go to NASCAR. I doubt the good ol boys would be nearly as courteous as Wheldon was. Her side panels would have 20 doughnuts and a few wall scrapes before the second lap.
Danica, "STFU and drive."
Oh, yeah, and none of the actresses or models or celebrities have a "teenage boy" figure... What does that have to do with anything?
A Retired Cop

Indianapolis, IN

#23 Jun 6, 2007
indyfan wrote:
So what if a guy "expresses his displeasure" to Danica next race? If the police had been investigating this it would have been assault. Once you make physical contact with a person all the rules change. It is no longer "nothing more than a conversation". I am neither a Danica fan nor a hater but I do want the same rules applied to her as everybody else.
No, it wasn't assault. Get a clue, or go watch the tape again, doofus.

Now, Wheldon's move out on the track (chopping Ms Patrick) would've been considered road rage, or reckless driving, or both.
persistent malcontent

Kernersville, NC

#24 Jun 6, 2007
Lighten up folks. A little passion in the sport is a good thing. Brian made the right call.

Ski

“Is It Friday Yet?????”

Since: May 07

Smalltown New York

#25 Jun 6, 2007
Road Rage...Reckless Driving...Get Real. It's called RACING. She is trying too hard to live up to all the hype. She is desperately trying to win and will cause a wreck to do it. If Wheldon went where she was trying to push him, he would have been in the wall. She knows the deal. She will not accept responsibility for doing something wrong. Her crew and teammates had to go and appologize to Wheldon for her actions. Poor sportsmanship from a poor sport.
IndyCarFan

Noblesville, IN

#26 Jun 6, 2007
Ski wrote:
Road Rage...Reckless Driving...Get Real. It's called RACING. She is trying too hard to live up to all the hype. She is desperately trying to win and will cause a wreck to do it. If Wheldon went where she was trying to push him, he would have been in the wall. She knows the deal. She will not accept responsibility for doing something wrong. Her crew and teammates had to go and appologize to Wheldon for her actions. Poor sportsmanship from a poor sport.
Check it out. Notice Wheldon pushing her first...

Check it out...

http://youtube.com/watch...
Dubie

Fishers, IN

#27 Jun 6, 2007
Explain to me how this is disappointing and such a bad example to young people. She wasn't overly animated, did not yell, grabbed his arm slightly (and if you think that crossed the line, you are the most sensitive person ever) and expressed herself so that Dan got the point. She didn't like the way he was driving that day, so she let him know about it. Big deal. Get over it. She has a right to speak her mind to Dan. She said her peace, and now it's over. What is with all you sensitive idiots who think she can't say anything until she wins something. She is racing just like everyone else, and she races pretty well at that. The Golden State Warriors suck every year in basketball, and they did even this year (don't let their one series win fool you), but we tell them they deserve to play or have a shot at playing fairly?? Heck no. What is wrong with you people.
Dr Evil wrote:
My neighbors daughter is a big Danica fan, she's her favorite driver and she wears all the Danica shirts and other garb. After seeing the latest installment of the Danica/Dan fued, in which Danica really showed her butt, all I could think about was what kind of influence this has on all the young race fans out there. I know this sort of thing is pretty common in motor sports, but Danica needs to realize that she's in a unique situation, being the first IRL female driver that truely stands a chance at being a winner and that all eye's are on her all the time. What a dissapointment.
Dubie

Fishers, IN

#28 Jun 6, 2007
apology, "but we *don't* tell them they *don't* deserve to play or have a shot at playing fairly??"

I'm not the most eloquent.
Bob

United States

#29 Jun 6, 2007
It's a shame that the good racing in the IRL isn't promotion enough. I think the TMS and Gossage are being short-sighted by going that route, and the IRL shouldn't allow it. What happens if there is no controversy proceeding the next race?! They should stick to promoting the great races the IRL has had at Texas over the years.
Dubie

Fishers, IN

#30 Jun 6, 2007
If you really consider this "assault", then you are the biggest wussy I've ever encountered. I bet you are the type of guy who would sue McDonald's for serving coffee that was too hot for your mouth. Get real.
indyfan wrote:
So what if a guy "expresses his displeasure" to Danica next race? If the police had been investigating this it would have been assault. Once you make physical contact with a person all the rules change. It is no longer "nothing more than a conversation". I am neither a Danica fan nor a hater but I do want the same rules applied to her as everybody else.

Ski

“Is It Friday Yet?????”

Smalltown New York

#32 Jun 6, 2007
I don't see it. I see Dan walking and Danica stoping in front of him. He extended his arm to get some seperation between them. I am sure he knew the whining was coming next. All the drivers know that it is always someone elses fault when she gets tangled up with someone. She also has a habit of putting her hands on drivers. Remember Ryan Briscoe and Jacques Lazier? Same thing. She has been investigated by the IRL for this type of thing before. If she wore her ovaries on the outside, she would have been either punched or fined. She does this because she knows she can get away with it.
One thing for sure though. It is bringing some press. Next race should be interesting.

Ski

“Is It Friday Yet?????”

Smalltown New York

#34 Jun 6, 2007
Would everyone be crying foul against Wheldon if he and Kanaan had touched wheels? I don't think so. These things happen. Wheldon handled it perfectly, Danica did not. Her team knew she was in the wrong. That's why her crew chief and manager appologized to Wheldon afterwards for her actions. Sooner or later she is going to go too far and suffer the consequences
Jville48

Prospect, KY

#38 Jun 6, 2007

Couldn't have said it better. If Danica is going to continue racing, she needs to grow up and understand what she has to do on the track. Maybe she's also little put out now she has some female racing competition in Milka Duno. What a babe!
HinUSA

Independence, KY

#39 Jun 6, 2007
Having seen the incident numerous times now I can see it from both sides. Dan did come down a little in the turn but Danica did have room to go down also, she was past dario at that point. To start making threats and throwing a hissy fit over a racing incident is just showing her frustration at not yet winning a race especially since her team mates are.
As far as the off track incident goes I think this kind of confrontation is great. It allows the drivers to blow off steam and when Danica is involved it is always gonna be news worthy.
Dan did what he had to do on and off the track. He is there to win and is not gonna just give way when someone gets a nose inside of him. Off track it is a no win for him. She is a girl so what can you do?
I think Danica has had a gripe at every race this season with someone. She is the common factor. You would think that with all the help she is getting from Honda and the IRL, who are trying desperately to hand her a win, she would be doing a little better than this right now
Displeasure My Rearend

United States

#40 Jun 6, 2007
C'mon reporters; Patrick didn't just express displeasure; she shoved Dan. If women want equal rights, men have the right to smack 'em when they start an altercation. Dan did the right thing by walking away. Patrick wants to be tough but she'll never compete with the guys. This whole thing supports starting a a new league - GRL (Girls Racing League)
Another thought

Noblesville, IN

#41 Jun 6, 2007
Ski wrote:
I don't see it. I see Dan walking and Danica stoping in front of him. He extended his arm to get some seperation between them. I am sure he knew the whining was coming next. All the drivers know that it is always someone elses fault when she gets tangled up with someone. She also has a habit of putting her hands on drivers. Remember Ryan Briscoe and Jacques Lazier? Same thing. She has been investigated by the IRL for this type of thing before. If she wore her ovaries on the outside, she would have been either punched or fined. She does this because she knows she can get away with it.
One thing for sure though. It is bringing some press. Next race should be interesting.
\

So, extending an arm and forcing space between two people is not pushing?
Bush 2008

Carmel, IN

#42 Jun 6, 2007
She is an annoying whiner. When they interview her on tv I want to gouge my eyes out.

Ski

“Is It Friday Yet?????”

Smalltown New York

#43 Jun 6, 2007
Elbow was bent, not a foul if I am not mistaken.

SPM

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, Indiana

#44 Jun 6, 2007
Of course there was no penalty. Don't want to tarnish pretty girls marketing image.

SPM

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, Indiana

#45 Jun 6, 2007
Using arms (any physical contact) is not a discussion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dan Wheldon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Danica Patrick: 7 Reasons Her Move to NASCAR Ha... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Barr 3
Dan Wheldon nude (Jun '12) Jun '12 Efrain 1
News Dario Franchitti has his third Indianapolis 500... (May '12) May '12 Sons of Liberty 2
News Danica at 30: From NASCAR novelty to winner? (Mar '12) Mar '12 big 3 5
News IndyCar removes Barnhart from race control (Nov '11) Feb '12 acrim 3
News Jimmie Johnson calls on IndyCar to quit ovals (Oct '11) Feb '12 Hunglo 5
News Power set for 2012 after tragedy (Jan '12) Feb '12 Jeff 3
More from around the web