Slam, bang farewell to MIS

Slam, bang farewell to MIS

There are 138 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Aug 6, 2007, titled Slam, bang farewell to MIS. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Dario Franchitti and his Indianapolis 500-winning car endured a frightening, airborne accident Sunday on the backstretch of Michigan International Speedway.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Wow

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Aug 6, 2007
The hypocritical quote of Tony Kanaan is almost as amazing as the wreck itself. Glad everyone's okay.
Indy Bob

United States

#2 Aug 6, 2007
Hmmmm. WOW is right on. I like TK, but I will bet Danica and Marco would agree with WOW too. (referring to bumping Danica into the grass and then causing Marco to flip upside down on the road course race).

Ski

“Is It Friday Yet?????”

Since: May 07

Smalltown New York

#4 Aug 6, 2007
Racing incident...same as Helio and Vitor.
reporter

United States

#5 Aug 6, 2007
Danica's comment seems to lack perspective: the "nightmare" of her life? Please.
Choreboy

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Aug 6, 2007
Let's see, what does this wreck have in common with others in the past. "Wheldon" If he not pushing air at the front, he's pushing people out the rear. Somebody please punch this little out. Wish AJ was still rolling.
DoltsFan

Cincinnati, OH

#7 Aug 6, 2007
If the cars had a roof like NASCAR, this wouldn't happen. Without a roof, where can you put the roof flaps?
PMS

Palo Alto, CA

#8 Aug 6, 2007
Danica did win? No way! Are you serious?

I wonder who she blamed for not winning this time?
Air Dario

Manchester, OH

#9 Aug 6, 2007
I was going to watch it but it was on ESPN Deportes and me no gots dat.

I was going to listen to it but WIBC had the Indian Fever game on instead.

The website live timing etc. was locked up.

I just wanted to see who got launched and gratered but the IRL wants to keep that a secret.

They did a good job.

Ski

“Is It Friday Yet?????”

Smalltown New York

#10 Aug 6, 2007
Choreboy wrote:
Let's see, what does this wreck have in common with others in the past. "Wheldon" If he not pushing air at the front, he's pushing people out the rear. Somebody please punch this little out. Wish AJ was still rolling.
You're right. Wheldon caused the Helio/Vitor crash. He also caused Herb to crash. He causes every crash during each race. Glad you cleared that up for us.
awsome

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Aug 6, 2007
My children and gal pal aren't race fans. But I couldn't get them away from the tv for this race. Great action. As Tom Caragie would say... "The IRL is on it."
Disgusting

Louisville, KY

#13 Aug 6, 2007
This wreck is a result of the high downforce package that the IRL loves so much. It's great seeing full throttle 100% of the time.

This formula makes for extremely high corner speeds which make things more dangerous when the back end steps out.

What's worse is that this formula created the side by side racing for lap after lap.

This is open wheel racing and when wheels touch, things like this happen.

First Darren Manning was inches away from a fatal neck injury when his own tire landed on his head.

Then we had to watch a near triple death as Dario's helmet was exposed massive amounts of debris and two cars running through him at the same time as Foyt and Dixon had an entire car landing directly on their helmets.

The IRL absolutely MUST change the downforce package to eliminate this extended side by side racing immediately.

We've had enough Davey Hamiltons and Kenny Bracks, etc already.
Hang em high

AOL

#15 Aug 6, 2007
Michigan Speedway was vitually empty! Where did all the fans go?

I remember when this race was a tough ticket to get and it packed in over 125,000. From what I saw there were maybe 20,000 fans there at best.

Open wheel Indy racing is in deep serious trouble. Where did all the old fans go? Why?
I Heart Daniel Wheldon

United States

#16 Aug 6, 2007
Choreboy wrote:
The wreck was not totally Daniel's fault. Dario was coming down the track at the same time Daniel was drifting up the track. It's just one of those things that happens in racing. Daniel does not cause wrecks on purpose. If you would have watched the race, it wasn't a matter of "if" a wreck like that was going to happen it was more like "when" it was going to happen. There were several different drivers who were close enough to touch but happened to avoid each other. Don't blame everything on one of the more passionate drivers around right now. He even said it in the prerace interview during the rain delay that he wasn't going to move even a milometer for anyone and was going for race wins. He also said that he was going to do anything that he could to help Scott in the championship race. He's just very compassionate and displays his confidence in himself very well and I think that is what is needed in a driver!
robert

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Aug 6, 2007
what time did that race was on tv, cause i didn't get to see it!!

Ski

“Is It Friday Yet?????”

Smalltown New York

#18 Aug 6, 2007
Disgusting wrote:
This wreck is a result of the high downforce package that the IRL loves so much. It's great seeing full throttle 100% of the time.
This formula makes for extremely high corner speeds which make things more dangerous when the back end steps out.
What's worse is that this formula created the side by side racing for lap after lap.
This is open wheel racing and when wheels touch, things like this happen.
First Darren Manning was inches away from a fatal neck injury when his own tire landed on his head.
Then we had to watch a near triple death as Dario's helmet was exposed massive amounts of debris and two cars running through him at the same time as Foyt and Dixon had an entire car landing directly on their helmets.
The IRL absolutely MUST change the downforce package to eliminate this extended side by side racing immediately.
We've had enough Davey Hamiltons and Kenny Bracks, etc already.
So you want an exciting race without any of the danger that goes with having an exciting race...
Choreboy

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Aug 6, 2007
I Heart Daniel Wheldon wrote:
<quoted text>
The wreck was not totally Daniel's fault. Dario was coming down the track at the same time Daniel was drifting up the track. It's just one of those things that happens in racing. Daniel does not cause wrecks on purpose. If you would have watched the race, it wasn't a matter of "if" a wreck like that was going to happen it was more like "when" it was going to happen. There were several different drivers who were close enough to touch but happened to avoid each other. Don't blame everything on one of the more passionate drivers around right now. He even said it in the prerace interview during the rain delay that he wasn't going to move even a milometer for anyone and was going for race wins. He also said that he was going to do anything that he could to help Scott in the championship race. He's just very compassionate and displays his confidence in himself very well and I think that is what is needed in a driver!
That's OK you go ahead and "Heart" Danny Boy. Everybody has an opinion, me I hate the little bass turd and believe in some race at sometime he is going to get somebody killed.
I Heart Daniel Wheldon

United States

#20 Aug 6, 2007
robert wrote:
what time did that race was on tv, cause i didn't get to see it!!
The race was supposed to begin at 12:00 p.m. on ESPN2. There was a rain delay and it didn't start until almost 4:45 p.m. and they moved it to ESPN Classic which caused problems because a lot of cable providers around Indy do not carry Classic. I watched the race for free online at indycar.com . They play the ESPN broadcast with the radio broadcast commentary.
Check it out

Marysville, OH

#21 Aug 6, 2007
reporter wrote:
Danica's comment seems to lack perspective: the "nightmare" of her life? Please.
Yeah seriously, if she was in Dario's place then sure. But for just having to drop out of the race because of a flat. Yeah right! If that's the nightmare of her life, then I want to have her life.
Disgusting

Louisville, KY

#22 Aug 6, 2007
Ski wrote:
<quoted text>
So you want an exciting race without any of the danger that goes with having an exciting race...
Open Wheel Racing was exciting before the cars were capable of 100% throttle through the corners.

Open Wheel Racing was exciting before the cars were capable of going side by side for 20 laps without getting back in line.

Both of these conditions are a result of the massive downforce the current Indycar package has.

Open wheel racing will still be exciting when these conditions are eliminated.
Check it out

Marysville, OH

#23 Aug 6, 2007
Although the 7 car crash was Dan's fault, Dario didn't point fingers. That just shows how good of a person he is. And too bad Helio couldn't be reached for comment about his run-in with Vitor. Vitor said it was Helio's fault but Helio probably would have said it was Vitor's. It was really both of their faults though. Too bad Helio had to wreck, he's one of my favorite drivers behind Marco. So, he's number 2. Anyways, congrats to Tony, Marco and the whole AGR team on their great job today! Great race! Glad Dario's okay!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dan Wheldon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Danica Patrick: 7 Reasons Her Move to NASCAR Ha... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Barr 3
Dan Wheldon nude (Jun '12) Jun '12 Efrain 1
News Dario Franchitti has his third Indianapolis 500... (May '12) May '12 Sons of Liberty 2
News Danica at 30: From NASCAR novelty to winner? (Mar '12) Mar '12 big 3 5
News IndyCar removes Barnhart from race control (Nov '11) Feb '12 acrim 3
News Jimmie Johnson calls on IndyCar to quit ovals (Oct '11) Feb '12 Hunglo 5
News Power set for 2012 after tragedy (Jan '12) Feb '12 Jeff 3
More from around the web