Avon crowned marching band champs

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

Dreyer & Reinbold BMW VW Get a free electric guitar with the purchase of a new VW-and play it through your car's audio speakers! Infiniti FX Sport Utility for only $299 for just 12 months!! Tom Wood Ford 2006 ...
Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Jun 16, 2012
Josh

Lebanon, IN

#1 Oct 21, 2006
Last Year's class B champion was not Northview, it was Concord from Elkhart, IN.
This is Doug Hassel's third class C state championship, he won two years ago with Gibson Southern.
If you need some more silly facts check out www.indianafieldbands.com it's got a ton of easy to find history.

Thanks for reporting this! It's a huge event for so many students!

Josh Ellis
Bob Jackson

United States

#2 Oct 22, 2006
This is awesome that you covered this event. The students and the directors work so hard to make it to this competition. When you cover it so well, it rewards their hard work. Great job!
Leah

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Oct 24, 2006
I am from Avon and I do band. I think it is so awsome that this is the 6th time Avon has won State!!

GO AVON!!!!!!!!!!
KBG

United States

#4 Oct 24, 2006
Avon is over rated! Why not let Avon, Lawrence Central & Ben Davis have their own little competition and let the remaining bands have a "real" band competition. Or better yet, take Avon out of their territory, make them travel 3 or 4 hours by bus and see how well they perform then. If Avon is so....good then do BOA, go up against the very best. Or let the incoming freshman band members march, just like all the other bands do. Avon's band members do not march until they are Sophomores. Once again, Avon is over rated!
Band parent

Carmel, IN

#5 Oct 24, 2006
KBG wrote:
Avon is over rated! Why not let Avon, Lawrence Central & Ben Davis have their own little competition and let the remaining bands have a "real" band competition. Or better yet, take Avon out of their territory, make them travel 3 or 4 hours by bus and see how well they perform then. If Avon is so....good then do BOA, go up against the very best. Or let the incoming freshman band members march, just like all the other bands do. Avon's band members do not march until they are Sophomores. Once again, Avon is over rated!
Avon freshmen do march! My child is a freshman and has marched in every practice and competition. There are quite a few freshmen in the band. The band will be participating in BOA in November.
Michael Alsop

Greencastle, IN

#6 Oct 25, 2006
Avon is not overrated. While they may not have been the cleanest band at State, they played the most difficult music book! They do every year, which is why they win.

Also, the Mount Vernon band that placed 10th in class C was from Posey County, NOT Hancock County. It was the school's first time ever to qualify for State.
Amanda

Louisville, KY

#7 Oct 27, 2006
I went to see this show and I have to say, Avon was really good, but I think that Homestead should have at least gotten second. They were awesome! My cousin is in the colorguard for Carrol High School and I think that her band should have at least gotten eighth. Oh well, it was their first year in A Class. There's always next year. CONGRATS AVON!
josh

Marysville, OH

#8 Oct 31, 2006
Band parent wrote:
<quoted text>Avon freshmen do march! My child is a freshman and has marched in every practice and competition. There are quite a few freshmen in the band. The band will be participating in BOA in November.
i am in the band and i think u should stop trying to stop making us sound bad by saying freshman do not march. i am a freshman and i have marched every competition. and we do play in boa.
TBS

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Nov 3, 2006
Band parent wrote:
<quoted text>Avon freshmen do march! My child is a freshman and has marched in every practice and competition. There are quite a few freshmen in the band. The band will be participating in BOA in November.
The only reason Avon won is because they pay the judges to make sure they win every year. That isn't a very good competetion. If Avon is so good then why don't they go out of state to compete like Lawerence North. Its because they suck. They really suck.The band sucks! If they was really alsome than they would stop bribing the judges and play for real. THats why they don't go to Ben Davis and compete cause they can't bribe the judges. Lawrence North, Ben Davis Center Grove, And other bands play fair and we have fun but Avon is just fake. But I love there Guard. Thats the only part of the band I like is the gaurd.
Carmel

AOL

#10 Nov 5, 2006
Castle Knights are the best band avon is terrible
JOHN

Evansville, IN

#11 Nov 5, 2006
Band parent wrote:
yes, your child may march in the band but that is only do to the fact thatISSMA has changed the rules since the 05' season saying the band may not exclude incoming freshman in actual preformances!
ewJealousy

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Nov 10, 2006
I think everyone here dogging on Avon is just jealous...we practice almost everyday...at least 3hrs a day and on weekends and in summer everyday from early am to 5-6pm no matter the weather...we work hard to accomplish our program...I'm a freshman and I've been very dedicated...
How would you feel if you won and you knew you worked real hard and everyone was rippin' on you.
jeez.
Avon fan

United States

#13 Nov 12, 2006
Every one is messed up all freshman except 1 or 2 march for avon and they deserve their wins the kids practice rain or shine all the time and are greatly commited to what they do. The freshman have also been marching for years so every one can suck it up and if they want them to stop winning they need to get out there and work as hard as avon and get a win.

Go josh

Thanks for being a respectful spectator Amanda
Avon parent

United States

#14 Nov 12, 2006
Go Avon fan you are one of the first people to get the facts right.
BSthree

United States

#15 Nov 19, 2006
Until Avon's competition gets out in the 30 degree weather with rain and winds, they will have a very difficult time beating Avon.
anonymous

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Nov 20, 2006
You rock Avon! I watched you at the Indy regionals, and your guard looked amazing! Congrats!
Geoffrey Kavulya

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Nov 28, 2006
Leah wrote:
I am from Avon and I do band. I think it is so awsome that this is the 6th time Avon has won State!!
GO AVON!!!!!!!!!!
Good job Avon.
Seth

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Jun 14, 2012
Ok look people Avon wins because there the best and there the best because of the way they train you don't meet once a month like all the amateurs you meet every other day and you practice for 9 hours and it's hard you don't just walk in pickup a horn and then they tell you your in and your gonna get to play and were gonna win no it's a competition for just 1 spot there not rich there nOt poor there committed! I know because I am a freshman in the Avon marching band and I have played and marched in all of our shows
yawn whatever

Reynoldsburg, OH

#19 Jun 16, 2012
"Marching Band Geek" always looks good on a resume.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indy Racing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Danica Patrick: Latest News, 2014 Sprint Cup Ra... Aug 15 Cale 11 2
Female crew chiefs could be next for NASCAR Aug 10 WWE CRASHCAR 2014 4
Danica Patrick Indianapolis result Jul 31 Dwarfica 2
Like her or not, Danica Patrick still moves the... Jul '14 Jorge 1
Danica Patrick hoping for better luck on NASCAR... Jul '14 IceMan PJN 3
Patrick making steady progress -- whether you b... Jun '14 WelbyMD 15
Danica Patrick has already won respect heading ... (Feb '12) Jun '14 I fly 158
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000