BMV warns 90,000 that licenses, IDs m...

BMV warns 90,000 that licenses, IDs might be revoked

There are 246 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 2, 2008, titled BMV warns 90,000 that licenses, IDs might be revoked. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Dreyer & Reinbold BMW VW Great Deals at Dreyer & Reinbold Greenwood on New and Pre-Owned Certified BMW, Infiniti, Volkswagen and now Subaru!. Click for Details! Tom Wood Ford Tom Wood Ford offers great deals on ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 13
Next Last
Much easier

New Lenox, IL

#1 Feb 2, 2008
Wow! I really wish my Serbian immigrant parents & grandparents had raised a bunch of stink about how everything in the USA is in English. Unfortunately they were here legally and wanted to be Americans so they wasted their time learning English.....No Serbian flyers or dual language websites for them.
dead serious

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Feb 2, 2008
I agree that it is insensitive to mail them out only in English. But I feel it would be even more insensitive to mail the notices in English and Spanish. After all, if we are going to recognize other minority languages spoken here, I personally feel we need to recognize:
1. Italian
2. French
3. Russian
4. Polish
5. Chinese ( all dialects)
6. Croation
7. Czech
8. German
9. Latvian
10. Gaelic
11.Vietnamese
12. Urdu
13. Arabic
I have met people in Indiana who spoke these languages. Is this really the direction we want to head? Remember now, you want to answer sensitively.
dead serious

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Feb 2, 2008
My apologies for being insensitive; I forgot to mention :
14. Serbian
Tokin42

Florence, KY

#6 Feb 2, 2008
dead serious wrote:
I agree that it is insensitive to mail them out only in English. But I feel it would be even more insensitive to mail the notices in English and Spanish. After all, if we are going to recognize other minority languages spoken here, I personally feel we need to recognize:
1. Italian
2. French
3. Russian
4. Polish
6. Croation
7. Czech
8. German
9. Latvian
10. Gaelic
11.Vietnamese
12. Urdu
13. Arabic
I have met people in Indiana who spoke these languages. Is this really the direction we want to head? Remember now, you want to answer sensitively.
I thought just about everything the BMV put out was in gaelic?
dead serious

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Feb 2, 2008
Much easier wrote:
Wow! I really wish my Serbian immigrant parents & grandparents had raised a bunch of stink about how everything in the USA is in English. Unfortunately they were here legally and wanted to be Americans so they wasted their time learning English.....No Serbian flyers or dual language websites for them.
Yes, the same here. My grandparents were from Italy and Poland. When our families were together, I would hear Polish and Italian spoken. I attended Masses with the sermon given in Polish at one church, Italian at another. The Catholic grammer school school I went to offered French as a SECOND language.Latin was of course given some exposure.
There was never any doubt in anyones mind that English was the primary language to communicate in.
I can speak some Spanish. I do not however, feel I should be compelled to learn it, nor fund those who refuse to assimilate.
jamie

United States

#8 Feb 2, 2008
dead serious wrote:
My apologies for being insensitive; I forgot to mention :
14. Serbian
I think you should go back to the hole you came from, if you are not trying to make a joke and leave AMERICA be. our forefathers dided to keep america free,not bring every other country here to support .
dead serious

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Feb 2, 2008
Tokin42 wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought just about everything the BMV put out was in gaelic?
In referring to languages, Gaelic may mean or refer to:
Goidelic languages - or "Gaelic languages"
Irish language, or the derived Newfoundland Irish dialect
Scottish Gaelic, or the derived Canadian Gaelic dialect
Manx language
dead serious

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Feb 2, 2008
Case in point:
jamie wrote:
<quoted text> I think you should go back to the hole you came from, if you are not trying to make a joke and leave AMERICA be. our forefathers dided to keep america free,not bring every other country here to support .
Apparently I left out the plethora of Hoosierian dialects spoken here and have offended you. Again, my apologies.
James

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Feb 2, 2008
jamie wrote:
<quoted text> I think you should go back to the hole you came from, if you are not trying to make a joke and leave AMERICA be. our forefathers dided to keep america free,not bring every other country here to support .
I can see why you are so upset. Your post reflects that you are still struggling with English.
no name

Frankfort, IN

#13 Feb 2, 2008
We all make jokes but being an American, even a Hoosier requires one to learn the native tonque. LAtinos, learn it or leave. Your choice. My desire for you is to leave.
In my travel to FORIEGN countries I hire an interpetur if I can not speak there native tonque. I don't just bitch all the time I am away. And when I am finished in their country, I leave and go home. You should do the same as I am tired of waisting my tax dollars, even just one dollar, to make printings and signs for you. You want a Latino printed form, pay for it yourself.
Gregory Smith

Mishawaka, IN

#14 Feb 2, 2008
I have a constructive idea. Have the Mexican Embassy issue drivers license to their citizens here illegally. )Yes,I know not all illegal border crossers are not Mexican but a majority are.) By at least having a valid license and a special insurance sold to these license holders we solve both the ID and uninsured problem. Any improperly/unlicensed individual caught driving would be promptly deported. As for licensed illegals, a don't ask don't, tell policy could let them keep working (and paying for minor traffic violations)till the entire problem is addressed by Washington.
SOUTHENDER

Louisville, KY

#15 Feb 2, 2008
If the Latino's are upset, they must be guilty of unlawfully obtaining a license or allowing their illegal friends or family to use their information.
wondering why

Chicago, IL

#16 Feb 2, 2008
this explains alot of how the illegals are draining our system...a very good explaination using gumballs,

Since: Dec 07

U.S.A.

#17 Feb 2, 2008
Fact most Spanish speaking Americans here speak what is called spanglish, Most of them are here legally. The ones that don't speak english now probably are here under the table of our great tax paying people. If you go to another country to live, you learn language to make friends, work, eat, laugh, drink, and so on. So if you are here in U.S. then get with program.
Kent Bates

Crown Point, IN

#18 Feb 2, 2008
Give me a BREAK! The question as to why the notices were only sent out in "english" is ludicrous. This is still America and our national language is still "english". What about people from other nations who are LEGAL immigrants such as Asians or Europeans? Do you here any of them asking for everything to be written in there native language? My children are in the Wayne Township School system and many of the "forms" are written in english and spanish. Now the school district is trying to change to year round schooling, with one of the reasons being that our spanish speaking students are not being subjected to the english language during the "long" summer break. I am totally fed up with our country having to conform for the spanish speaking population. It is time we stand up and say, enough is enough! Learn our language or don't complain!
wondering why

Chicago, IL

#19 Feb 2, 2008
Gregory Smith wrote:
I have a constructive idea. Have the Mexican Embassy issue drivers license to their citizens here illegally.)Yes,I know not all illegal border crossers are not Mexican but a majority are.) By at least having a valid license and a special insurance sold to these license holders we solve both the ID and uninsured problem. Any improperly/unlicensed individual caught driving would be promptly deported. As for licensed illegals, a don't ask don't, tell policy could let them keep working (and paying for minor traffic violations)till the entire problem is addressed by Washington.
You are forgetting, most if not all people coming into this country illegally have no mmoney at all, so what you are saying is not going to do a thing but make them skirt around one more obstiacle. I have already encountered a illegal that hit my truck on 465 one morning, he was drinking and driving and spoke very little english, he freaked when I called the cops to report an accident and drove off, the funny thing was I was holding his drivers lic. and when I gave it to the cops when they got there, he informed me that it was not a valid lic and the plate number I gave him was from a stolen car....to make a boring story short I had to pay for the damages because even the insurance card he gave me was not valid. So if they are not here legally they should be sent back to where they came from
wondering why

Chicago, IL

#20 Feb 2, 2008
I also read on the indychannel.com that if the BMV uncovers any one here illegally they will not report them....kind of strange, if a state office finds illegal activity going on that could effect national security they are not going to report it????is there something wrong with the BMV, are they working for the state or for the illegals????

“West Side Dad”

Since: Feb 08

Indy

#21 Feb 2, 2008
This made me mad enough to register with Topix. I am sure to share more of my opinions in the future.
Wabbits R Us

AOL

#22 Feb 2, 2008
dead serious wrote:
1. Italian
2. French
3. Russian
4. Polish
6. Croation
7. Czech
8. German
9. Latvian
10. Gaelic
11.Vietnamese
12. Urdu
13. Arabic
Short or non-existent memory on your part. If you are like most people whose families have been in Indianapolis for at least a few decades, you probably have German ancestors.

For over eighty years until the First World War, Indianapolis had German language newspapers and English language newspapers. There were theatres in both German and English. Both languages were being used at the same time, and it went on for decades. Of course, like most fearful people, you don't know what happened ten years ago let alone a hundred.

In the 1750s Benjamin Franklin was complaining about the Germans by saying, "Few of their children in the country learn English... The signs in our streets have inscriptions in both languages... Unless the stream of the importation could be turned, they will soon so outnumber us that all the advantages we have will not be able to preserve our language and even our government will become precarious."

Same old, same old.

Your problem is that you are afraid, and you are going to whine about it. And there are plenty of cheap demagogues on the radio ready to rile you up because they make money off your fears.

Your are foolish and fearful which an American should not be.

English is going to win. It always has and always will just as it did in the past. When it all shakes out, there is money in English and it will win out.

You should try learning another language which most English speaking Americans are afraid to do. If you did, you would find out there is NOTHING TO BE AFRAID OF! Silly wabbit.
raylene

New York, NY

#23 Feb 2, 2008
jamie wrote:
he has as much a right to his comments as a closed-minded person like you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bogus Lawsuit 3 hr LuciferDems 4
News Bloomington, 2 counties join opioid lawsuit 23 hr Take em to court 9
News Records detail murder suspect's troubled past (Jan '08) Sat Prince of nap 371
Walls close in on Pence: Mueller now has thous... Sat barry 2
News Indianapolis schools ask voters for $936M more ... Sat Adrien Perez 1
News No family found, but Vietnam vet to be honored ... Sat censor 4
Jailhouse Xmas Sat Give it some time 2

Indianapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages