Dario Franchitti wins 91st Indianapolis 500

Dario Franchitti bet on rain, and the rain didn't let him down. As the skies opened up for the third time today, Franchitti took the checkered flag under yellow after 166 laps of racing, giving the Scotsman his ... Full Story
indyrules

AOL

#46 May 27, 2007
Tom C wrote:
Folks, Dario did NOT win the race. He was proclaimed the winner by circumstance. He was lucky to be in the right place at the right time. I don't understand how anyone could take pride in such a hollow 'win' A shame to taint the fine tradition with such a meaningless victory.
So, if it was your son or daughter at there and they won this race, you would look them in the eye and say, "your win has tainted this fine tradition and was meaningless"...your win had nothing to do with any aspect of your talent..just a hollow victory!!!
MIke B

Brownsburg, IN

#47 May 27, 2007
The Winner is the Winner. You race smart and avoind errors, and you MAY win.

Anyone who thinks that was a lousy race should stay on the farm.
Sergei

Brownsburg, IN

#48 May 27, 2007
indyrules wrote:
<quoted text>
So, if it was your son or daughter at there and they won this race, you would look them in the eye and say, "your win has tainted this fine tradition and was meaningless"...your win had nothing to do with any aspect of your talent..just a hollow victory!!!
You must not know much about racing.... or life. When does being in the right place at the right time not matter? Dario won, because he was at the front at the finish, according to the rules. That is that!
Sergei

Brownsburg, IN

#49 May 27, 2007
Prior comment was for Tom C, quoted by Indyrules... Sorry

“Creation first, then evolution”

Since: Apr 07

San Francisco, CA

#50 May 27, 2007
White Trash wrote:
Race winner should be the best driver not the best gambler. Races that end early are like bowing matches that go to the judges.
I don't consider this a win. Take the checkered a 230mph or try again next year. I don't watch boxing anymore because of disapointments like this. Anyone De La Hoya vs. Trinadad fight a few years ago knows what I'm talking about.
Most racing is a joke anymore anyway. Rules , Regulations , Fines, Restrictor Plates, ect. What happened to seeing who could go the fastest? Everyone is so concerned with safety. If you wanna play safe take up ping-pong. Racing is dangerous that's the excitment of it. Drivers use to race under all kinds of conditions. So what if it rains, is the track not slick for all of them? Let em go and see who can go the fastest and stay out of the wall. Or at least wait till the rain stops and turn them loose again. But don't call the race and punish the best drivers for planning to run the ENTIRE race. I don't like Tony Stewart but my hats off to him for his comment about NASCAR and Wrestling. I would love for someone to start a racing association without all the BS rules. They need a few rules like ,you can't intentionally wreck each other and limit them to weight and motor size as well as a few other rules but let the mechanics build the fastest car they can and let the driver drive it as fast as he can and stay alive.
As far as the women let them run but all the publicity and hype is BS. Let them earn their fame like the men. The news does special reports about where ALL the women finished. There are lots of men that don't place well and the only place you hear about them is the final list of participants. No special report of Joe Blow who lost it 66 laps into the race.
Leave rule making to the lyin politicians and let the racers "run what they brung!"
If you didn't come to Let Em Hang and race. Then enter the pedal tractor race at the county fair!!!!
Being self-proclaimed white trash, you don't have to prove it by stinking up a forum. If proving you are white trash, is part of BEING white trash, remember that trash pick up is delayed this week. Don't miss your appointment.

San Francisco, CA

#51 May 27, 2007
Sportsguy wrote:
Such idiots. I wonder if there were this many boobs observing racing back when everyone else thought the Indy 500 was the greatest thing ever or if this is just the product of the Internet and our 15-second national attention span? Everything that happened today has happened many times over, including Scott Dixon sniveling over all the undeserving drivers getting in his way. "Meaningless victory"? Read a history book.
Bravo!

San Francisco, CA

#52 May 27, 2007
Cousin Lester wrote:
I think White Trash is right. Ferget about da rules! Let em go fast...cause thats what we come here to see. And maybe somebody'll crash and they'll be big splosions and stuff! And then we can go get our guns and shootem in the air...and get some of uncle Clems homemade hootch and celerbate with all them perty womens... Yup, that's what we should do...
You must be Cousin Lester from Fishers 'in' KY. Keep practicn' you almost seem to know ebonics. Too bad even that is not popular or liked, except to laugh at.

San Francisco, CA

#53 May 27, 2007
Indygirl wrote:
Didn't deserve it... just got lucky and was the only one left standing.. poor Marco and Danica... I agree Andretti-Greeen should have gotten it. And Wheldon and everyone else out.. and Kanaan.. I mean really who else was left? It's not because he's a good driver. Him and his snobby Hollywood wife.. UGH. That's not the 500.
Part of being a good driver, is being smart. He is smart enough to know that he didn't need more fuel to be ahead of everyone else when the race stopped. He could have been wrong; but he proved he was right.

San Francisco, CA

#54 May 27, 2007
Tom C wrote:
Folks, Dario did NOT win the race. He was proclaimed the winner by circumstance. He was lucky to be in the right place at the right time. I don't understand how anyone could take pride in such a hollow 'win' A shame to taint the fine tradition with such a meaningless victory.
Dario won by the rules. I see you don't have pride in your own integrity. You don't have either.

San Francisco, CA

#55 May 28, 2007
Don wrote:
Race was not exciting this time. Too many yellows along with the weather delay. Maybe a better one next year.
I'll bet most of the drivers didn't think it was so exciting either. The teams didn't plan the race this way. Only one driver achieved what he wanted to. I'm sure all the rest are disapointed.
Bryan

Shelbyville, IN

#56 May 28, 2007
Tmac wrote:
I never met a Indy Driver I dislikes until I met Dario.. What a jerk! Tried to interview him last yr at KY Speedway I found him arrogant and when a fan tried to say HI to him and Ashley she was totally Blown off! Not an aotogrph but just said HI.
Dario you and your wife don't deserve this Great moment!!!!! Azzh**e!
So he is a jerk because he infringed on your First Amendment right to freedom of press? Well good for him.

Just because you have the right to pursue an interview doesn't mean he has to give it to you.
Richie-South Elgin-IL

Villa Park, IL

#57 May 28, 2007
Dario's win...Andretti's crash...the rain...twice...Tony K. not getting the win after showing dominance...Danica and the other ladies giving it thier best (and not happy with their results, shows they are race car drivers)...better racing than the circus called NASCAR offers...all this and more combine to have once again brought us "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing!"(Now if the two open wheel leagues could get togther...just think how much better this could be!)
Bologna Sandwich

Chicago, IL

#58 May 28, 2007
Blame God...
Tom C wrote:

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis

#59 May 28, 2007
Average Joe wrote:
I suppose some folk care about all this, but I don't. I'm just glad it's all over. What difference does it make?
so you are making the effort to come into this story, and into this thread why? Comes off as one of the kids when they are insisting "Hey everybody, look at me!"
Go find something to do, and stay of the racing tales Lad.

Indianapolis

#60 May 28, 2007
Bump wrote:
``Whatever happened, if it came down to that dogfight, it was going to be hard, so I was hoping for the rain.''
--Yahoo! article quoting Dario.
What kind of competitive racer "hop(es) for rain" --nevermind admitting it to the media?! Isn't he basically admitting to probably not having what it takes to win the race had it gone the distance?
Strategy? I guess. More like, Right Place at the Right Time.
What kind? A smart one. Playing the weather at times is just as much strategy as playing gas mileage. It is never as exciting as a finish like last year's 500, but still as much a part of racing.

Indianapolis

#61 May 28, 2007
RAIN SHORTENED INDY 500s
Year Laps Winner
1926 160 Frank Lockhart
1950 138 Johnnie Parsons
1973 133 Gordon Johncock
1975 174 Bobby Unser
1976 102 Johnny Rutherford
2004 180 Buddy Rice

All of you knot heads belly-aching about the rain shortened race and saying that Dario should not have won should look at the list of drivers who have won a race that the race ended. As some of those folks if they would like to forfeit the win. Timing and strategy when it come to playing the weather is as much a part of Indy as "Start your engines," and anyone that has even a grade school level understanding of racing knows that. You put yourself to be in the right place at the right time.... and sometimes win!

Indianapolis

#62 May 28, 2007
meant to say "... that the RAIN ended."
Kevin

Fort Wayne, IN

#63 May 28, 2007
Average Joe wrote:
I suppose some folk care about all this, but I don't. I'm just glad it's all over. What difference does it make?
Yhat's why you call yourself average, Joe.
Kevin

Fort Wayne, IN

#64 May 28, 2007
Don wrote:
Race was not exciting this time. Too many yellows along with the weather delay. Maybe a better one next year.
You must have been sitting on the north end. Turns 1-2 were a crashfest. I believe there was many lead changes. Sorry about your day.
Kevin

Fort Wayne, IN

#65 May 28, 2007
boring yawner wrote:
another lousy IRL 500. lots of underqualified drivers who tried to kill themselves. lots of empty seats. too many drunks to put up with again.
rain. red flag. rain finish under yellow.
ANOTHER IRL sled goes for a LAUNCH.
really, just another lousy IRL race.
You are sad,and blind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
white girls 9 hr RZA 1
When Did Indy Become So Racist and Why? 16 hr The Zombie 77
Vote to outlaw whittieeee Christmas 16 hr The Zombie 26
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band coming to Ba... 17 hr fyi 15
Lonely 17 hr gary 3
Why do most Blacks hate Whites? (Jul '13) Tue Horsechief 445
Let it Out (Oct '07) Tue Get real dude 229
Indianapolis Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Indianapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Indianapolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Indianapolis

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:49 am PST

NBC Sports11:49AM
Reggie Wayne needs offseason triceps surgery
NBC Sports 1:29 PM
Colts say they will be all business despite nothing to gain - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 2:15 AM
Should New England Patriots Rest Key Starters in Week 17?
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Breaking Down Colts' Game Plan vs. Titans
Bleacher Report 5:00 AM
Can't-Miss Picks and Matchup Guide