Day care owner sues ex-workers for defamation

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

A Fishers woman who was charged with criminal abuses of children in her home day care business is suing the former employees who accused her.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of57
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Big Jeff

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

We may never know the full true story because the prosecutor has a secert agreement. It looks to me like the prosecutor has hung the former employee's out to dry. The prosecutor let the accused off but left put those whom may have helped the prosecution vulnerable to a lawsuit...dosn't seem right to me.
Indy Mom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

Wow - is it possible that someone actually was INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY??? Go figure...

“Yeah, I said it.”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

Well if they lied, they lied. Not sure how the prosecutor left them 'vulnerable' to a lawsuit. They did that themselves.
Transparent

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

So, in other words, it was her word against theirs and once again we don't know the whole story and once again it is possible the "justice" system did not work. Big shock. Especially in Hamilton County where they seem to be more liberal.
Amy

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

It's so hard to find dependable child care these day's with all the stuff we here in the news. It definitley does not help when you have people who want to accuse someone for wrong doing just to do it. I hope this woman wins her law suit. It sure sounds to me that if there are parents that are willing to back her up, that she is innocent. Who would say other wise if there was abuse.
Rick G

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

Three hispanic witnesses out of state, possibly not able to come back to testify, leaving one witnesses word against the defendant? That might be grounds for the deal. Hope no children were hurt and hope all ends well for all concerned,

“Yeah, I said it.”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

Transparent wrote:
Big shock. Especially in Hamilton County where they seem to be more liberal.
Ummm...Hamilton County may be the most conservative in this very conservative state. NTTIAWWT.
Rob

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

It wasn't just Herdrich's words against theirs...It was Herdrich's word, along with several other employees, along with the vast majority of the parents. Bottom line - there wasn't a shred of evidence.
MYOB

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

Some Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummm...Hamilton County may be the most conservative in this very conservative state. NTTIAWWT.
You obviously dont get out much
Rob

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

MYOB wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously dont get out much
Ever seen election results from Hamilton County? Conservative republicans pretty much dominate.
writer

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

Rob wrote:
It wasn't just Herdrich's words against theirs...It was Herdrich's word, along with several other employees, along with the vast majority of the parents. Bottom line - there wasn't a shred of evidence.
Then why was there an agreement instead of a dismissal of all charges?

Since: Jan 08

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

Any disgruntled employee can make an allegation and virtually shut down a daycare instantly. You are guilty until proven innocent. I'm glad I don't own a day care service.
Carmel Resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

Finally, the false accusers will be held accountable for their actions!

I hope she gets every penny she can from them (which judging by their situation won't be much), but more importantly will clear her name.
History reminder

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

First, anyone working in a childcare setting is a mandated reporter by the state. Thus, if there is ANY inkling of abuse or neglect it is required to be reported. As long as a person does it in good faith, no ramifications can come to those who report it. I am not sure how they are getting around this issue.
Rick G

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

Tax Payin Fool wrote:
Any disgruntled employee can make an allegation and virtually shut down a daycare instantly. You are guilty until proven innocent. I'm glad I don't own a day care service.
That's what I was saying above. If the state had four people testifying against her, she could have been convicted even if she was not guilty
Runner

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

I think that's exactly the point - apparently those involved with this case do NOT believe the reports were made "in good faith". I highly doubt the lawyer would have taken this on if he didn't feel they had a case against the accusers.
History reminder wrote:
First, anyone working in a childcare setting is a mandated reporter by the state. Thus, if there is ANY inkling of abuse or neglect it is required to be reported. As long as a person does it in good faith, no ramifications can come to those who report it. I am not sure how they are getting around this issue.

Since: Jan 08

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

There should be ramifications if people lie.
Fishers parent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

The problem is that there was no evidence to convict her!!! Read the article!!! I am one of the parents that STILL stand beside her!! She did nothing wrong and the public wanted her pesecuted when this story first came about!! Maybe you shouldn't always believe everything you read. She is the innocent one that lost income and a reputation!!!
Rob

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

writer wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why was there an agreement instead of a dismissal of all charges?
Good question - the prosecutor's office saving face maybe? The agreeement did not require any admission of guilt, parents were testifying on Herdrich's behalf, at least two of the accusers were related. Seems to me there was no hard evidence to go on.
Rob

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2008

Rick G wrote:
<quoted text>That's what I was saying above. If the state had four people testifying against her, she could have been convicted even if she was not guilty
Exactly...Unless, of course, their stories sounded fishy.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of57
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Indianapolis Forum right now

Search the Indianapolis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Not one Gay person can prove they were born gay (Jun '13) 4 hr cpeter1313 115
Republicans Gone Wild 7 hr Starlett Miller 34
Republican Child Molesters 7 hr Starlett Miller 67
Obama is satan 8 hr Cpeter1313 6
Obama throws race card. Voter ID fraud is key 8 hr Cpeter1313 37
More Liberal idiocracy 8 hr SamREAL 7
Republicans Still Destroying America 8 hr Cpeter1313 103
•••
•••