Indianapolis archdiocese downsizing i...

Indianapolis archdiocese downsizing in Southern Indiana

There are 77 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jun 9, 2013, titled Indianapolis archdiocese downsizing in Southern Indiana. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The archdiocese of Indianapolis says it will decrease the number of parishes in southern Indiana from 30 to 20 due to shifting populations in area communities.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#21 Jun 22, 2013
Lady River wrote:
ohmygoodness, you caught me out. I copied and pasted! Catholics believe the Pope IS Christs' representative on earth. You do NOT believe it. I have no problem with your beliefs. You shouldn't have a problem with the beliefs of others. Last I checked, we ALL still have the freedom of religion. No?
Please explain or show me where in the Bible that a "pontiff or vicar of Christ" is mentioned?

“wanna dance?”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#22 Jun 23, 2013
Pontiff and Vicar are a matter of semantics. I am sure you understand the meaning of each word and the references by Christ in Matt.16;18 That Peter is to be the representative of Him on earth.

I believe that this was the beginning of the line of 'leaders' of the Christian Faith. Just because those specific words are not written has very little impact.

Most ALL Christians believe that there will be at sometime in the future an occurrence known as 'The Rapture'. Well (just making a point here) the 'word' rapture isn't in scripture either BUT that doesn't mean it won't happen or that it is a false belief.

All I'm saying here is the vernacular has gone through many changes since the Elizabethan English translation of the scriptures.

So my answer to you would be to look at Matt 16;18.

Since: Jun 13

vincennes

#23 Jun 23, 2013
I see some of you know Satan personally.
The Coal Handlers Son

Addison, IL

#24 Jun 25, 2013
Grand Dragon wrote:
<quoted text>Your words about the healthcare are great but you can't deny that there is a huge problem with the priests preying on boys. Get your head out of the sand.
Oh! So no Protestant preacher has ever got his or her hand caught in the cookie jar huh? Looks like you're the one with your head in the sand!
The Coal Handlers Son

Addison, IL

#25 Jun 25, 2013
Outside-the-box wrote:
<quoted text>The Catholic Church is not a great service to society and never has been. These so called "catholic" hospitals you speak of are simply by name. Hospitals are business and if you think other wise you need to read. I would be more than happy to challenge any point you could make that Catholicism isn't a cult. It has been since Constantine decided to "convert" to appease the masses meanwhile creating "church" doctrine to manipulate people.
You ever been to a Catholic Church? Then shut up!
The Bible Is Babble

Matthews, IN

#26 Jun 25, 2013
Can we get off of the BS Express for a moment?

The idea of a benevolent god is just that,an idea. And a flawed one.

Notice how most nuns are extremely unattractive and have rotten attitudes?

If you ask them about their chastity they'll tell you they're saving themselves for the lord.

Yep,I'm sure he's just thrilled and excited at the prospect of hooking up with a fugly religious nut,dressed as a penguin with a rotten attitude.

Sounds Heavenly.......NOT!

You'd think the SON OF GOD AND CREATION would have access to the finest T/A available in Heaven.

For Jesus,Heaven IS Hell!

Location hidden

#27 Jun 25, 2013
The Coal Handlers Son wrote:
<quoted text>You ever been to a Catholic Church? Then shut up!
Grew up in the Catholic Church as well as attended catholic school. Taught catholic doctrine and studied Catholicism for quite some time. So thank you for your little remark.
Reverend Father Pastor

Brownstown, IN

#28 Jun 25, 2013
Paul once said, off the record, of course, that there would be a day when the physical 'church' would fail because of it's own doing. It will be then that we must once again rely on our own hearts to know pure faith. Wordly economics has nothing to do with 'downsizing the archdiocese' anymore than the devil has to do with our own backsliding.

Location hidden

#29 Jun 25, 2013
Lady River wrote:
Pontiff and Vicar are a matter of semantics. I am sure you understand the meaning of each word and the references by Christ in Matt.16;18 That Peter is to be the representative of Him on earth.

I believe that this was the beginning of the line of 'leaders' of the Christian Faith. Just because those specific words are not written has very little impact.

Most ALL Christians believe that there will be at sometime in the future an occurrence known as 'The Rapture'. Well (just making a point here) the 'word' rapture isn't in scripture either BUT that doesn't mean it won't happen or that it is a false belief.

All I'm saying here is the vernacular has gone through many changes since the Elizabethan English translation of the scriptures.

So my answer to you would be to look at Matt 16;18.
You have the right to your beliefs though I disagree. In said verse, Jesus was referring to Peters profession of faith just 2 verses prior. At this point in time Jesus had not taught them who He was so He was recognizing the fact that God had opened Peters eyes to who Christ was. It's this personal faith in Jesus that is the foundation of a true Christian. Those who place their faith in Christ as Peter did are the Church.

As we all know Christ spoke in parables and analogies, with this in mind when Christ speaks to Peter ( Petros; small rock) He means that His church will be built on a solid foundation and faith in Christ is this foundation. This is supported by Peter himself in 1 Peter 2:5. Matthew also describes in 7:24-25 the rock which a wise man builds his house.
If you still have doubt, please refer to Acts 4:11-12, 1 Corinthians 3:11, and Ephesians 5:23 where it makes it abundantly clear that Christ is both the foundation and the head of the church. Though Peter and the apostles are charged with primary roles in building the church but the role of primacy is reserved for Jesus alone. Supported once again by Peter himself in 2 Peter 2:6-7 where he referred to Christ Himself as the "chief cornerstone".
The Fondness

Muncie, IN

#30 Jun 25, 2013
Outside-the-box wrote:
<quoted text>
You have the right to your beliefs though I disagree. In said verse, Jesus was referring to Peters profession of faith just 2 verses prior. At this point in time Jesus had not taught them who He was so He was recognizing the fact that God had opened Peters eyes to who Christ was. It's this personal faith in Jesus that is the foundation of a true Christian. Those who place their faith in Christ as Peter did are the Church.
As we all know Christ spoke in parables and analogies, with this in mind when Christ speaks to Peter ( Petros; small rock) He means that His church will be built on a solid foundation and faith in Christ is this foundation. This is supported by Peter himself in 1 Peter 2:5. Matthew also describes in 7:24-25 the rock which a wise man builds his house.
If you still have doubt, please refer to Acts 4:11-12, 1 Corinthians 3:11, and Ephesians 5:23 where it makes it abundantly clear that Christ is both the foundation and the head of the church. Though Peter and the apostles are charged with primary roles in building the church but the role of primacy is reserved for Jesus alone. Supported once again by Peter himself in 2 Peter 2:6-7 where he referred to Christ Himself as the "chief cornerstone".
Jesus was very fond of Peter.
The Coal Handlers Son

South Elgin, IL

#31 Jun 26, 2013
Outside-the-box wrote:
<quoted text>Grew up in the Catholic Church as well as attended catholic school. Taught catholic doctrine and studied Catholicism for quite some time. So thank you for your little remark.
Sure couldn't tell! But hey. I could say I did brain surgery, but it sure doesn't make it true

Location hidden

#32 Jun 26, 2013
<quoted text>Sure couldn't tell! But hey. I could say I did brain surgery, but it sure doesn't make it true
For your close minded mentality I will make it clear. I was raised in the Catholic Church until I decided to think for myself and open my eyes to the actual Word of God opposed to what I was told. Spend some time reading His Word and actually listening to it and you to will understand. You sir, have no place in this intelligent debate unless you can add something meaningful.
The Coal Handlers Son

Dekalb, IL

#33 Jun 27, 2013
Outside-the-box wrote:
<quoted text>The Catholic Church is not a great service to society and never has been. These so called "catholic" hospitals you speak of are simply by name. Hospitals are business and if you think other wise you need to read. I would be more than happy to challenge any point you could make that Catholicism isn't a cult. It has been since Constantine decided to "convert" to appease the masses meanwhile creating "church" doctrine to manipulate people.
You don't think Protestant doctrine doesn't stipulate the same thing? Wow you're blind to the truth! Baptists use guilt and fear during their church services to influence people to convert! At least the Catholic church lays their beliefs out during RCIA for all to make their own decision! Nobody is pressured in any way! I've never heard one Catholic talk negative about a Protestant but you sure do hear Protestants talking negative about Catholics ! It's a no brainier !

Location hidden

#35 Jun 27, 2013
<quoted text>You don't think Protestant doctrine doesn't stipulate the same thing? Wow you're blind to the truth! Baptists use guilt and fear during their church services to influence people to convert! At least the Catholic church lays their beliefs out during RCIA for all to make their own decision! Nobody is pressured in any way! I've never heard one Catholic talk negative about a Protestant but you sure do hear Protestants talking negative about Catholics ! It's a no brainier !
The no brainier is that catholic doctrine contradicts the Bible in so many ways. Believe what you will, I'm no judge, I'm simply telling you the truth.
hytsar

Rochester, PA

#36 Jun 27, 2013
youtube.com/watch... Propositioned Equality
simple

Rushville, IN

#37 Jun 27, 2013
Outside-the-box wrote:
<quoted text>
For your close minded mentality I will make it clear. I was raised in the Catholic Church until I decided to think for myself and open my eyes to the actual Word of God opposed to what I was told. Spend some time reading His Word and actually listening to it and you to will understand. You sir, have no place in this intelligent debate unless you can add something meaningful.
I

It is commonly known that the Catholic faith is for those who don't want to think or make decisions on their own. They tell you everything to do...even how to pray. They have prayer instruction books for children. Congrats on opening your eyes and finding the truth on your own.

“wanna dance?”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#38 Jun 27, 2013
Outside-the-box wrote:
<quoted text>
Good points!
The Coal Handlers Son

Commiskey, IN

#39 Jun 27, 2013
Outside-the-box wrote:
<quoted text>The no brainier is that catholic doctrine contradicts the Bible in so many ways. Believe what you will, I'm no judge, I'm simply telling you the truth.
What doctrine? Bring it on!!!

Location hidden

#40 Jun 27, 2013
<quoted text>What doctrine? Bring it on!!!
It's called Canon Law which was written by man not God. Being the gentleman I am, please, choose a topic and I will debate you all day long.
The Coal Handlers Son

Dekalb, IL

#41 Jun 28, 2013
Outside-the-box wrote:
<quoted text>It's called Canon Law which was written by man not God. Being the gentleman I am, please, choose a topic and I will debate you all day long.
You're the one running your mouth so tell me how the church doesn't abide by Gods law. I know all about the Chatechism. What's next? You going to start the, " Catholics worship Mary bull?" Your rant about the Catholic Church is old and frankly been run in the ground. I've heard your stupidity a million times! Shut up and go away if you don't believe in the church's teachings. Nobody made you stay in the church so go believe what you want. I'm sure you think you have it all figured out cause you are so smart. Good for you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gas Alert $2.17 3 hr FuelFinder 1
News Keeping Molly's Memory Alive 3 hr Missing 2
For a business, what is the purpose of employin... 3 hr caged 4
Boehner crying. again. 16 hr Wha 2
News Pastoral associate on unpaid leave followinga Thu nope 1
Does anyone know anything about CJ Moorefield? Wed nasty 2
News Plans for Islamic Life Center take shape Jul 29 nasty 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages