Sampson wants better team play

Coach blames himself for poor performance at Wisconsin and 2-game losing streak Tom Wood Subaru Visit Tom Wood Subaru at 96th Street and Keystone Avenue for Online Specials on New and Pre-Owned Subaru vehicles. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Tony

Rockford, IL

#1 Feb 3, 2008
IU will pound a hapless Mildcat team today. It will be a nice appetizer to the Stupor Bowl. DJ has been impressive in nearly every game I've seen. He's matured and is confident in his game. Gordon will find his way - his wrist was a clear factor at Wisconsin.

IU by 16-18 points today, then more tough tests to follow.
IU Dad

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Feb 3, 2008
To bad it's taken coach Sampson to make this statement. How about totaly benching the me,em,me players till we find a team that will play together.
IndyDave

Plainfield, IN

#3 Feb 3, 2008
Whatever happened to spending some time on the bench for non team play such as quick shots,too much one on one and not playing solid defense?
With Northwestern in town today it would be a great time to play some of those kids that have warmed the bench all year long.I would guarantee you would see some team play and some hustle from those kids...it's sure been lacking the last two games in my opinion other than D.J. and Demarcus.
Let's get it together Hoosiers it's now Feb.and it's time to come together as a TEAM in the next 30 days.When that happens I really like ours chances...toss those egos into the wind and quit reading those press clippings and let's see who we really are!!

“Play more golf!!!”

Since: Nov 07

West Lafayette, IN

#4 Feb 3, 2008
Cellvin must have been reading Topix posts. He seems to be the last to know that you can win by standing around, etc. Glad he's finally caught up to what everyone else has known for some time.

“Play more golf!!!”

Since: Nov 07

West Lafayette, IN

#5 Feb 3, 2008
I meant can't win -- my bad
Hoosier Fan

Solsberry, IN

#6 Feb 3, 2008
Its funny Sampson wants a better team play and the fans want a better coached team!!!!!
www.fireCalvinSampson.com
ExMeaSententia

Laguna Niguel, CA

#7 Feb 3, 2008
20 games into a 31 game schedule and we get this revelation?

" ..., but we're missing something and as a coach I need to find it,'' Sampson said. "I've got to do a much better job of bringing this team together and getting them to play harder, get them to play better together and compete harder.''

This is the stage in the season where teams should be jelling, and polishing their game for a post-season run. Instead it sounds like we're still looking for answers to some basic problems with the team's play.

If KS is looking for answers, I'd suggest he listen to the criticism offered by some of the fans. Why not start with:

* The basic offense scheme - quick shots, or dribbling at the perimeter for 10 seconds then shooting a three, or 4 guys standing around waiting for the guy dribbling the ball to pass to them.

* Turnovers - good teams don't beat themselves;

They've got two potential All-B10 players and a really nice pool of talent to back those two. KS is right, Xavier, Wisc and UConn are not that much better than IU -- talent-wise ..... uh huh.

'Nuff said. You see where I'm going.
ronb

Lexington, KY

#8 Feb 3, 2008
March madness is coming! Take yesterday for example:South Carolina
unranked beats Miss#22,Missu unranked beats Kansas St # 24 who just beat Kansas#2,Arkansas unranked blows out Fla.#19,Stanford#14 beats Wash St.#9 at home,UConn unranked, but not for long, has beat IU,Louisville,and now #21 Pitt. Maybe UConn is better than we thought.Then unranked UTEP was tied, with 2 minutes to go,against # 1 Memphis on Memphis's home court. Utep ended up loosing 70-64 but showed us that Memphis could get beat by some better teams. Everyone can have a poor game! That brings us to the Big Ten. Penn St unranked beats mighty #7 Mich.St.,Iowa with a 10-10 record and 3-5 in big ten play beat Ohio St. 15-6 and 6-2 in big ten play and the Purdue showing they have a good team by beating Ill. at home. Who knows IU could win today and Wisc. could loose at Minn. and Purdue and IU would be sitting a top the Big Ten. My point is that between now and the NCAA tournament any under dog could beat you. I know IU's losses are disappointing but they did loose to good teams. Coach is right he needs to bring them together so that they win the games they should and do not loose to weak teams like some have done this weekend. How does Izzo let Penn St beat them??
I guess you guys would want him fired also!! There is a lot of basketball
left to play and IU will win a lot of games so fan up.
Dave

United States

#9 Feb 3, 2008
The other night against Wisconsin, did I hear Musberger say "DJ" is the best big man in the country?

“Hoosier fan in Tarheel land”

Since: Oct 07

United States

#11 Feb 3, 2008
The reason their shooting percentage has gone down is that they are easy to defend. People know 3-4 guys will be standing outside the 3 point line looking for an open shot. No need to worry about those guys setting a screen or cutting to the basket for a smooth backdoor pass and an easy layup. Pretty much all you need to do is be out there with a hand in their faces and....presto!.....their shooting percentage goes way down.
ronb

Lexington, KY

#12 Feb 3, 2008
For you Purdue fans in case you have the big head for leading the big ten:
RPI rating: IU=36 PU=50, Power Rating: IU=11 PU=48, SOS rating: IU=107
PU=121. You PU fans can say that IU had a cupcake schedule but clearly
PU played an even weaker schedule.
Mr Wayne

El Paso, TX

#13 Feb 3, 2008
Mr. Sampson, Ellis could be a defensive stopper as a guard. He is big, crafty, long arms. Offense starts from the guard position, if he could, and he can, put a serious clamp on the opposing teams best guard that would greatly improve IU's chances. We have several big men, they need more playing time. Basset needs more screens set. If Ellis was guarded by smaller people he would likely get better scoring, rebounding and assists.
Hoosier Fan

Solsberry, IN

#14 Feb 3, 2008
ronb,
Not every game you play you'll going to win but to be out coached is something else. My point is having great talent and not winning. I hated Davis for not benching Wright for all the stupid stuff he did. As for now, I wish Sampson would bench those starters that play street ball. I don't care if they are unrated and have a losing record just play like a team(try to win the game not show off your talents to scouts). IU is not a preNBA stop for everyone. I'm starting to believe that EJ is not ready for the NBA b/c how this team plays. We are the most talented team in the BigTen but will lose how many more games? I have not giving up on Sampson but if we are not better in his forth year he needs to go.
Hoosier Fan

Solsberry, IN

#15 Feb 3, 2008
Sorry ronb I meant unranked not unrated
History Teacher

Michigan City, IN

#16 Feb 3, 2008
Sadly, the era of team play is gone. No longer do you see the "three passes before the shot" mentality as stated in the movie "Hoosiers." What we have had for a long time now, is is outdoor "street" ball, only now its indoors. It's now just one-on-one times five.

Follow your passes. Follow your shot. Move. Get open.
Don

Bradenton, FL

#17 Feb 3, 2008
If you recruit "street Ball players" you get "street ball", it's that simple. The easiest way to turn this team around is to change coaches because I do not believe Sampson knows how to do it. It's a good thing IU didn't have to play Wofford!
LOL

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Feb 3, 2008
You want better team play, Mr. Sanctions? Then quit treating two of your players like elite prima donnas, it's not brain surgery.
LOL

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Feb 3, 2008
ronb wrote:
For you Purdue fans in case you have the big head for leading the big ten:
RPI rating: IU=36 PU=50, Power Rating: IU=11 PU=48, SOS rating: IU=107
PU=121. You PU fans can say that IU had a cupcake schedule but clearly
PU played an even weaker schedule.
According to Sagarin at the end of 2/2, the Loosiers' SOS is 152, Purdue 129. And Purdue is literally the youngest team in the nation and look what they've accomplished. Purdue IS team ball. Any one of them can step up and have a great night. Not a selfish player on the Purdue team.

Kelvin Sanctions cries because he wants more "team play", what an idiot. You treat your players differently like you do and you're not going to have a team atmosphere.

“Rev. Wright <3's Obama”

Since: Jan 08

Carmel, IN

#20 Feb 3, 2008
I wonder why, with Mike White and Stemler struggling, we don't go a little small and give Ratliff a shot? I wonder if he's performing poorly in practice.
slasher

Haubstadt, IN

#22 Feb 3, 2008
Evidently, I wasn't watching the same games that Sampson was the last two times IU played. I watched the other schools put up uncontested shots, repeatedly. I saw IU put up wild, contested shots, repeatedly.

Hire Dane Fife.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I noticed something. 3 hr Andy 3
Fat chix 3 hr Andy 2
Where to get herbal incense/spice/potpourri in ... (May '13) Tue Illylookingforill 46
Obama racist rhetoric toward Police Tue tayarrit76 5
Why do most Blacks hate Whites? (Jul '13) Mon tayarrit76 270
does pepsi drug test? which type? Mon Dave 9
Louis Farrakhan regales Indianapolis with 2-1/2... (Dec '13) Sep 28 Ms Mack 20
Indianapolis Dating
Find my Match

Indianapolis Jobs

Indianapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Indianapolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Indianapolis

Personal Finance