No free pass for IU's Gordon

No free pass for IU's Gordon

There are 176 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 1, 2008, titled No free pass for IU's Gordon. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

You can blame it on his sore left wrist or a hostile environment or say it simply appears the Big Ten has figured out how to slow him down, but Indiana guard Eric Gordon isn't playing like he did in November ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Billy Graham

Oreland, PA

#161 Feb 2, 2008
Purdue fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought EJ was the second coming of MJ and he was going to score 40-50 per night leading you to a perfect season. What happened? Is he not that good?
Folks, what we need to do is PRAY REAL HARD!!! C'MON everybody, pray with me!!!
Otis- Mayberry town drunk

Oreland, PA

#162 Feb 2, 2008
Bucky Badger wrote:
Now that the easy part of the schedule is done.
How will iu fare?
Thu, Feb 7 at Illinois
Sun, Feb 10 at Ohio State
Wed, Feb 13 (13) Wisconsin
Sat, Feb 16 (8) Michigan State
Tue, Feb 19 Purdue
starting with last thursday's Badger Victory
I see a 6 GAME LOSING STREAK
I'll drink to *belch* that bucky

“Hoosier fan in Tarheel land”

Since: Oct 07

United States

#163 Feb 2, 2008
Purdue fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought EJ was the second coming of MJ and he was going to score 40-50 per night leading you to a perfect season. What happened? Is he not that good?
come now, let's not be silly, he is still clearly one of the best freshman in the nation this year, and nobody at the start of the season was saying a freshman would be "the second coming of MJ scoring 40-50 per night" - hell, MJ didn't even score 40-50 a night (although Dean Smith had something to do with that)....the reality is A)he is extremely talented, B)he is a freshman, C)he started out of the gate very well against easy competition, and D)he is getting the same lesson all freshman get midway through the Big Ten season...it's a big leap. He will have his ups and downs and there are definitely some frustrating things about how the team is performing offensively. But we definitely need to keep some perspective...MSU, the class of the conference, just lost to Penn State tonight, and we still only have one loss so we have time to improve and stay in the thick of things. Regardless of whether or not the Big Ten is having a stinky season, it is still an extremely physical conference, and this is a real lesson for freshmen. That's why I think he would benefit from an extra year in the NCAA - if Sampson would actually coach him. Right now it looks to me like Sampson is letting him do whatever he wants....maybe walking on eggshells in hopes of getting him to stick around? Hard to tell. But with some experience and good coaching the boy could become phenomenal.

“Hoosier fan in Tarheel land”

Since: Oct 07

United States

#164 Feb 2, 2008
Bucky Badger wrote:
Now that the easy part of the schedule is done.
How will iu fare?
Thu, Feb 7 at Illinois
Sun, Feb 10 at Ohio State
Wed, Feb 13 (13) Wisconsin
Sat, Feb 16 (8) Michigan State
Tue, Feb 19 Purdue
starting with last thursday's Badger Victory
I see a 6 GAME LOSING STREAK
I'm thinking 3-2 in the five game stretch you've outlined...which 3 games? who knows...but hasn't the basic formula for winning the Big Ten always been "defend home court, get as high above .500 as you can on the road"? If you can hit 9-0 at home at go 5-4 (or better) on the road, 14-4 (or better) is a pretty good outcome in the Big Ten and will put you in the thick of things most years I think...

Since: Jul 07

United States

#165 Feb 2, 2008
I see a 6 game winning streak coming. Actually 7 game. The big 10 title goes through Bloomington this year.
Old Roy

Grantsburg, IN

#166 Feb 2, 2008
Hoosierdaddy wrote:
I see a 6 game winning streak coming. Actually 7 game. The big 10 title goes through Bloomington this year.
I SEE,you've been drinking AGAIN. Looks more like our next win,after the cats whip us,will come next season,against Weber St.,at Assembly Hall--if we're lucky!

“Hoosier Faithful and Native”

Since: Dec 06

Bright Indiana

#167 Feb 2, 2008
I watch every IU game and when I tape them, I sometimes watch the game again. I have noticed and maybe it's just me, but Eric has been called for a lot of fouls and even though there were just a few that were questionable, Eric needs to recognize what he is doing wrong. I have also noticed and again, maybe it's just me, but Eric seems tentative on defense to avoid the fouls, and that seems to be affecting his offense. Eric is one of those players who is enjoyable to watch: His strength, quickness, and knowledge of the game is impressive considering his age.

Eric doesn't deserve the negative comments: He is a talented BB player who is experiencing life in college basketball and the B10. Michael Jordon had a few bad games when he played at NC and Eric will have his won off nights. DJ has played with intensity this year thanks partly to his summer BB tour. This young team has finally played teams that know about playing in the B10. With only having a few players back from last year, this team is right up there in the B10: Give Eric and the rest of the team some credit for what they have accomplished.
GO IU!!!!
k.skidmore
cincinnati, ohio

“Play more golf!!!”

Since: Nov 07

West Lafayette, IN

#168 Feb 3, 2008
Mike in NC wrote:
<quoted text>
come now, let's not be silly, he is still clearly one of the best freshman in the nation this year, and nobody at the start of the season was saying a freshman would be "the second coming of MJ scoring 40-50 per night" - hell, MJ didn't even score 40-50 a night (although Dean Smith had something to do with that)....the reality is A)he is extremely talented, B)he is a freshman, C)he started out of the gate very well against easy competition, and D)he is getting the same lesson all freshman get midway through the Big Ten season...it's a big leap. He will have his ups and downs and there are definitely some frustrating things about how the team is performing offensively. But we definitely need to keep some perspective...MSU, the class of the conference, just lost to Penn State tonight, and we still only have one loss so we have time to improve and stay in the thick of things. Regardless of whether or not the Big Ten is having a stinky season, it is still an extremely physical conference, and this is a real lesson for freshmen. That's why I think he would benefit from an extra year in the NCAA - if Sampson would actually coach him. Right now it looks to me like Sampson is letting him do whatever he wants....maybe walking on eggshells in hopes of getting him to stick around? Hard to tell. But with some experience and good coaching the boy could become phenomenal.
I'm just quoting what all the band wagon IU fans were saying after the first few games. We all knew that B10 play is tough. Now we get to watch all of the IU band wagon fans gripe & moan as they fall to the side. That's OK, the loyal IU fans will stay. Anyone who knows basketball knows the B10 is a dog fight every year. There is no way at this point to know which teams will survive. Right now the Boilers seem to be going up and the Hoosiers spiraling down. But that can change quickly. MSU and OSU will be tough and Iowa is coming on. Glad we're done with them.

“Hoosier Faithful and Native”

Since: Dec 06

Bright Indiana

#169 Feb 3, 2008
Wisconsin is always tough both on the road and at home and the Hoosiers could have won that game. The bad passes, shot selection, and unnecessary turnovers cost us the game. We only lost by 6 points, and if we would have made 3 of those shots that were rebounded for put backs with the possibility for a 3 point play, we would have won. Eric's shots just wouldn't go in. The team has a lot of talented players and not to take anything away from Wisconsin, but, the Hoosiers beat themselves: If they would settle down and concentrate, the Hoosiers could win those crucial games that we have left to play.

GO IU!!!!!!!!
k.skidmore
cincinnati, ohio

“Hoosier fan in Tarheel land”

Since: Oct 07

United States

#170 Feb 3, 2008
Purdue fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just quoting what all the band wagon IU fans were saying after the first few games. We all knew that B10 play is tough. Now we get to watch all of the IU band wagon fans gripe & moan as they fall to the side. That's OK, the loyal IU fans will stay. Anyone who knows basketball knows the B10 is a dog fight every year. There is no way at this point to know which teams will survive. Right now the Boilers seem to be going up and the Hoosiers spiraling down. But that can change quickly. MSU and OSU will be tough and Iowa is coming on. Glad we're done with them.
Ya gotta be pretty excited about the Boilers this year. Don't know which is more encouraging - the fact that they are playing so well already, or the fact that they have the nucleus of a team that might be able to stay together for 2-3 more years and be really, really good.
Tate

Chicago, IL

#171 Feb 3, 2008
Let's not put all the pressure on Gordon and White,making it a 2 man team. How about more work with Bassett, Crawford and Ellis? Ratliff has some talent. I'll admit the talent is thin beyond them. I think Gordon and White need help beyond just bringing the ball down the floor. The defenses figure if they con slow those two down,their chances are pretty good.
Tom

Mishawaka, IN

#172 Feb 4, 2008
ok Kathy enough of the what if's against Wiscosin...WI only shot 35% as well and what if they had hit a few more shots or rebounded every offensive rebound or didn't take bad shots when IU was coming back or what if they hadn't had any turnovers etc etc Its a losing game to play.

“Play more golf!!!”

Since: Nov 07

West Lafayette, IN

#173 Feb 4, 2008
ronb wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with Joe. You are a sore loser and a Purdue or Illinois fan. No IU true fan would say what you said. These comments are filled with fake fans and you are one. EJ will be all right. He still leads the Big ten in scoring and DJ is now second in scoring and first in rebounding. IU'S problem at Wisconsin was everyone one on the team besides EJ and DJ shooting 5 for 27 (18%) and 1 for 14 (7%) from 3 land. The big ten leader in 3 point shooting,Bassett, was 0 for 5. If he hits his 50+ percentage and we are in the ball game. DJ played his heart out. The rest of the team needs to get
after it and IU will be OK.
Hey Ron. If you have a bone to pick, take it up with this fellow - why the jab about being Purdue or Illini fan. For all we know he's a KY, ISU. Butler fan -- or any other school. Try to stay on topic.
gregoire777

Madison, WI

#174 Feb 5, 2008
Hey Hoosier Fans: I cannot believe
you are calling for the head of Kelvin.
As a Badger Fan since 1985 I have seen the
bad, then the better, then the good..Yoder,
Jackson, Bennett, Ryan...Bo Ryan in his 1st year
was 4-6 going into the 10-0 Marquette game @
the Kohl, then the team played together & we
had a similar game as the IU game last week.

Give Kelvin a chance, & start playing as a team
& you will win alot as WISC has been doing!
gregoire777

Madison, WI

#175 Feb 5, 2008
PS I meant that Marquette was undefeated & 10-0.

Watching Bob Knight's Angry Comments on ESPN News

He was a great teacher & coach... but had a lot of

Unpredictable Ego Temper Problems that will blemish

his brilliant record & career...Badger Out
BranchMcCrackens Nephew

Lexington, KY

#176 Feb 5, 2008
I am the great great Nephew of Former Indiana university Coach Branch McCracken, So the Cream and Crimson is in my Blood! So When you think IU Basketball You have to think Robert Montgomery Knight - Bobby the General Knight! He retired officially at 8:04 PM Monday night and walked away from the Texas Tech Red Raiders and the game of college basketball and turn the team over to his son, former Indiana university guard Patrick Knight. Reportedly there are no health issues, or any other unforeseen Circumstances, he was "Just Worn Down and done" in the words of the General. Bobby was given the Nick Name "The General" while coaching at the United States Military Academy, and with good reason, he commanded his troops on the floor and commanded respect wherever he went! On January 16 of this year he achieved his 900th Win making him the Winningest Coach in College basketball history! He has 3 National championships 1NIT championship and 11 Big ten championships, not a bad way to leave the game if you ask me! He coached the 1984 Olympic basketball team (starring Michael Jordan) to a gold medal making him 1 of only 3 coaches to ever win the NCAA NIT championships as well as a gold medal in the Olympics. Branches brother Doc McCracken often said that next to Branch he had never seen such an amazing coach! Coach Knight was known for his antics and off the court run ins with Snot NOSE BRATTY KIDS called college students (LIKE NEIL REID FOR INSTANCE) and foreign police officers, but he was also known for running remarkably clean programs no cheating violations no under the table controversies, and for all most all of his players, graduating high in their classes! He cared about the Kids he coached, the fans that watched, and the game He loves so much! He was Big ten coach of the year 6 times and Naismith Coach of the Year in 2002, Not bad for some country born Ohio Kid. He is More then a coach He is a Legend! and though you may not have agreed with his antics, or his dealings with the press, or the way he often handled those bratty little snot nosed college kids, you cant argue that he is just possibly the greatest basketball coach to ever be apart of the game! So after 42 years at the age of 67 I salute you General and i look Forward to watching your son Pat try to fill the Very large size 13 shoes you leave Behind! Good Luck Red Raiders with the rest of the season Good luck coach PAT Knight and God Bless you Coach Robert Montgomery Knight For giving this simple country boy many years of Great College basketball!
OH and to you Myles Brand the guy who fired this legend from IU and now Sits in a cushy job at NCAA Headquarters. The only mistake Coach Bob Knight Ever made was not Punching you in your mouth!
In the Words Of OUR FAIR GENERAL: "When my time on Earth is gone and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass."
GO HOOSIERS!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
They pull 19 kids and counting? Thu Sayso 5
Hillary finally admits she is Wealthy Thu The Great Wisdom 1
Good riddens Paula Cooper Thu The Great Wisdom 3
Air Force shooter was black Muslim convert Wed Call YBA Out 2
Larue Carter right to work fired 50 good staff (Aug '14) Wed Darkstar 57
Mayor Ballard Honors Nasty Letterman Wed The Great Wisdom 10
News Let it Out (Oct '07) May 26 lilred2810 231
More from around the web

Indianapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]