No free pass for IU's Gordon

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

You can blame it on his sore left wrist or a hostile environment or say it simply appears the Big Ten has figured out how to slow him down, but Indiana guard Eric Gordon isn't playing like he did in November ...
Comments
101 - 120 of 176 Comments Last updated Feb 5, 2008
HOOSIER FAN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

Michigan City, It might have helped if anyone was given a chance for a say in Sampson's hiring. In case you didn't know, none of us were asked to be part of that hire. Come to think of it, I don't know if anyone was involved except Rick Greenspan. So it's not like we had a choice. I hate the offense we are running, but if any of you watch, Duke pretty much plays the same.
HOOSIER FAN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

refresh my memory wrote:
<quoted text>
Did IU even come close to winning that game???
NO we lost that game by 15 but, you PU fans accuse IU of playing a cupcake schedule. The point I was making is that Xavier is ranked in the top 20.

Since: Jul 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

Go Big Red wrote:
What are some of your thoughts on next years team? Also what do some of you think about the recurits coming in next year?
Devin Ebanks.
Terrell Holloway.
Matt Roth.
Tom Pritchard.
Daniel Moore.
?Possibly someone else as well?
Ebanks will be better than good, but not Eric Gordon type. Roth is a shooter with good fundamentals. Pritchard will be a blue-collar player.

Not sure of the other two. IU looks to be re-loading for next year. It will take some time for Coach to get the players to fit his system. This years team, and last years, were inherited.

2008 is also shaping up to be a good recruiting year. Elston will be the real deal.

Did anyone really think Coach could come to IU and turn around the Mike Davis years right away?

Since: Nov 07

Nineveh

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

Jonathan wrote:
The referees need to start calling fouls in the "physical" Big Ten. Indiana is being officiated different then other teams, especially on the road. Being physical is not Indiana's strength, but it is for the rest of the Big Ten. This isn't football, its basketball. The officiating needs to improve.
Yea...it's always the refs against precious Indiana... poor you. Do you want some cheese with that whine numbnuts?
Griffco76

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

There's no doubt HoosierNation is disappointed with E.J. during B10 play. But, I'll go even further and say this entire INDIANA team is way over it's head against conference opponents. And as stated many times before...the Big10 itself is the most overrated league in the history of collegiate athletics. Indiana is headed for a 1-and-done exit in the NCAA's.
Greenspan

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

Just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>
What I can't comprehend is why nobody knew this before now! Didn't ANYBODY watch an Oklahoma game over the last 10 years?
I saw one,and I was sold.[a bill of goods]
slasher

Haubstadt, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

Hire Dane Fife, now.
Go Big Red

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

Ok, everyone seems to be barking about IU's schedule, so if IU could play whoever next year, who would you like to see them face off against next year?

UCLA, Kansas, Florida, North Carolina, Duke, Louisville, Texas, Georgetown, etc.
slasher

Haubstadt, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

Sampson was Herbert's choice for coach, not Greenspan's.
Pitchfork U

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

Is it true,Sampson has 666 carved into his forhead?
respect

Pittsboro, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

IU Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Another follow up there "Little Joe" from Kokomo!!!!
While he may be talented, I stand by my statement that in no way is he a 1st round draft pick in the NBA draft this year....He is no where near as talented as Mik Conley from THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSTIY!!!!!!!!!! And like I said, it would benefit for him to stay at IU for another year and gain more experience b4 playing with the "BIG BOYS" besides after IU loses D.J. White this year, IU is going to really REEEEEEEEEEEK next year. So maybe EG could do the might Sampsonite a favor and return for his sophmore year. And like I said b4 "BIG DADDY EG: should tell his son that he is willing to put off becoming a millionaires daddy for another year!!!!!!STILL LMAO hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!
YOU ARE A LOSER!!!!!!!!!!
Mildcats

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

HOOSIER FAN wrote:
<quoted text>
NO we lost that game by 15 but, you PU fans accuse IU of playing a cupcake schedule. The point I was making is that Xavier is ranked in the top 20.
It's about time we got our first conference win. The I.U. game can't come soon enough. Our Princeton offense should confuse,bewilder and destroy Sampson and his misfits.

Go Cats
respect

Pittsboro, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

livingonthelake wrote:
<quoted text>
Wisconsin's great defense had a lot to say about that... as will Purdue.
woooooooooooooooooooooooo, don't scare me. Big scary cow college!!!

Since: Jul 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

slasher wrote:
Hire Dane Fife, now.
Hire Dane Fife for what?

This forum has gone to completely useless.
Roy is losing it

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

Old Roy is on the verge of blowing a gasket!!! What Purdue is killing him. He rips PU over and over again to no avail. Noone thought ( especially that donkey Roy ) half way through the B10 season IU would be looking up at PU. I doubt it will be that way at the end of the year, but PU is by far exceeding what anyone thought they would do. That goes for PU fans too. We are the youngest team in the country. Just a fact. They are going to get better and better. Sorry Roy, I know Purdue is stealing a little of IU's thunder right now. The next few years are going to be tough for you. When this Purdue team matures, watch out! None of these kids are one and done. They are all 4 year players. Keep spitting your venom Roy. Everytime you do, I laugh a little harder. You are like a big pair of clown shoes. Just funny in a stupid way. Keep em coming clown shoes!!
tberry

Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

Eric Gordon has the same performance problem that the whole team has. They look great against really inferior team but don't look so good against quality teams.

There is a lot of talent but no discipline which describes both Gordon and IU.

IU is not the cream of the crop as routinely hyped preseason and neither is Gordon. Unless we start playing as a team and get off the EJ super hype wagon, we will be lucky to make it out if the second round of the NCAA and we certainly don't look like a team that will win the Big Ten.

This is not a team and Eric is not a savior.
Old Roy

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

Hysteria wrote:
<quoted text>
Born again Butler fan?!?! You need to get the @%$# off of this message board then. I'm so sick of IU fans right now. We're 17-3, and in TIE for the Big Ten lead. The tourney is still a ways away. Like every team in the country this year, we have had our struggles. We're still trying to integrate a very young team, and the pounding that the b10 season puts on teams is no joke. We're also still trying to learn how to compete with a team with comparable talent. No one wins at Wisconsin, Bo Ryan is 51-2 at the Kohl Center during his ENTIRE TIME AT WISCONSIN!!! Yeah, our front court is thin , but it's not like we don't have the players to eventually (WITH EXPERIENCE!!) even that out. And against bigger defenders DJ has still played well, HE PUT UP 22 PTS AND 17 REBS THE LAST GAME!! Every IU fan on this forum who has jumped off the IU wagon can just stay there, because we DO NOT NEED YOU! If you're an IU fan, be a fan (this is to you Old Roy), don't jump to the 'hot ticket' in the state.
Whether or not this team is overrated will be seen as the rest of the B10 season plays out, not before hand. So everyone calm down, shut up and let the kids play.
I'm really a closet Wildcat fan. If Carmedy had half the talent Sampson has,he'd be dreding the matchup,like Sampson dreds a 3-way.
Seventies Hoosier

Cedar Springs, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

I want an I.U. team that plays good hard defense and works hard to get the good shot. I don't want them working hard to get a one on one situation. Sampson needs to identify each players offensive strengths and design the offense to fit those strengths. The offense has to me more than just the stars on the team.
Reality Check

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

Just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, I am normally opposed to shouting on these forums but please...
DIDN’T ANYBODY WATCH AN OKLAHOMA GAME...EVER?!!!!
This is what Sampson is, STOP BEING SURPRISED!!!!!
It's not even about the cheating, he's just an awful coach, period!
Sampson went 7-7 over the last 14 games last year.

No wins in the Big Ten tourney.

One single NCAA win.

His last Oklahoma teams:

2006 -#6 seed lost to #11 Wisconsin-Milwaukee
2005 -#3 seed lost to #6 Utah
2004 – No Tournament
2003 –#1 seed lost to #3 Syracuse
2002 –#2 seed lost to #5 Indiana
2001 -#4 seed lost to #13 Indiana State
2000 -#3 seed lost to #6 Purdue

In case you can't count, that's either NO TOURNEY AT ALL OR SIX STRAIGHT LOSSES TO LOWER SEEDS!

Oh, and 1995?#4 seed lost to #13 Manhattan.

Sampson is a horrible coach, and a convicted cheater.
iulp

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

EJ is a tremendously talented player but it appears as if he is being coddled and not pushed. This is reminiscent of Bracey Wright- fortunately EJ is a better person and player. It doesn't appear as if Sampson punishes EJ for stupid turnovers, poor shot selection or lack of defensive effort. Take him out of the game, sit him down and let him know that he is no more important than the other guys. The bench is the only teaching aid- you don't have to keep him out for an enter half, but long enough that he understands that he must play hard, smart, team basketball every second he is in there. This type of treatment could have helped avoid the situation the team is currently in.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jeff punky Combs at it again 5 hr DA UNION CRUSHER 10
Tell your spouse everything? 5 hr Joe Average 1
Ralph's Brake & Muffler Madison Ave 23 hr Warty-lipped Butt... 1
Courts tell Indiana to honor gay marriages from... Thu who cares 4
officer Wilson Thu Simon 2
They riot with no facts or evidence Thu Simon 9
My new jeep Wed Rogains 5

Search the Indianapolis Forum:
•••
•••