ATA discontinues all flights, files for bankruptcy

Full story: WISH-TV 8 Indiana News

ATA Airlines has discontinued all flights and filed for bankruptcy. The Indianapolis-based airline said in a statement on its Web site that it became impossible to continue operations after losing a key ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
pizza player

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2008

Aloha ATA, Now we pick from Northwest, United, or Southwest. Its either fix or repair or get fined or go bankrupt.
Prospective Pax

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2008

Very no-class of ATA's board of directors not to mention anything about their airline's folding. Those guys better not put anything ATA-related on their resumes. And if they do, I hope they spend a LONG time looking for a job. Those guys are perfect examples of why managers and owners in America have a bad name.
Agreed
I'm sure all of the top execs are walking away with millions in their pockets.
I agree 100%! Did you notice how the article said "virtually all" employees lost their jobs.
You can bet the ATA CEO got a fat exit bonus for this.
This is true... I think they are being given the term "key employees" by the management conspiracy running the show.
Well, ATA just ruined my vacation plans to see my son for the first time in 3 years! Had I known I would have booked on another airline. I worked for almost a year to scrape together the airfare for Hawaii and now it's gone....I'm going to miss the birth of my granddaughter too....THANKS A LOT ATA
the hedge fund that runs Global Aero Logistics ATA ruined your reunion... I am sorry but the people of ATA Airlines did not. THANKS ALOT GLOBAL AERO LOGISTICS.
So sorry to hear of this.... pleas consider a class action lawsuit against MatlinPatterson hedge fund.
Wow.
I assume that they spoke with a legal team before following through with such actions; as such I am afraid that this might be a legal thing to do, no accountability to customers and employees.
Even then if it is legal, it still seems unethical to do something like that.
So true!
Ahhhhhh.....
If Only ATA Airlines had been operating under the Name: Bear Stearns Airlines....
But, then they don't have that cozy New York Connection, do they ????
Who is MATLINPATTERSON / Matlin Patterson - are they the same owners of Global Aero Logistics - World Airways and Global Aero Logistics - North American Airlines?
With ATA
"You're on PERMANENT vacation"
!!!
(; cute one but a sad one too
I'll bet that Hillary got the call at 3AM that ATA was going under. She then proceeded to go back to sleep!
I can't believe that ATA was still selling tickets the day before they folded. What a bunch of crap.
Yes it is... I always thought it was a bit of a conflict of interest with this company (ATA)which was so commited to the AMC troop movement flights to be flying around the Democrat Candiates which seem to have so much contempt for the troops.
Now these same Democrat candidates seem to have just as much or equal contempt for the loyal employees of Global Aero Logistics ATA by continuing to use Global Aero Logistics North American Airlines which is all the same company.
Sounds like people need to actually do something about this -- like filing a class action lawsuit
Prospective Pax

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2008

How can ATA get away with accepting airfare knowing they were going under? Then to have the nerve (to put it lightly) to call a residence asking for more money the day before this came to be known. Now these people have to fight to get their refunds...that's criminal activity.
Direct the class action lawsuit to the hedge fund company finanacial investment firm Matlin Patterson's Global Oppurtunties Fund II. They could have directed their other companies flight operation to accomodate the stranded passengers by rerouting them on World Airways or North American Airlines charter aircraft.
AMR and American Airlines and American Eagle Airlines do this for their stranded passengers all the time and even on other none owned airlines
It's so sad for the passengers and even more for the employees..I wish them the best and to find a new and better jobs...
American Airlines really helped us out as we attempted to get to Midway after our flight was canceled from HONOLULU as ATA call it quits...Thank American Airlines
That is kind of you. I am aware of a few people who are involved with this through my consulting work.
Thanks AAers... TZ frontline (;
i understand the loss to these people with the jobs. I think the company should have done more for the customers though. My husband was enroute home after being deployed to Iraq and he is sitting, waiting for a flight home. the airline posted a sign saying there should be a flight sometime monday (72 hour hold)but if they are shut down, how is that going to happen. with his cercumstances, he cannot fly a normal flight, so how will he get home? his military orders and tomorrow.
From personal knowledge of ATA Airlines... I know the employees of this company would have done anything in their power to have reunited you with your loved one. I have routinely heard of stories of crews being about aircraft with military passengers for longer than 22 hours when weather or mechanical issues intervene.
This was a Matlin Patterson Global Aero Logistics decision.... the inconvinience could have been prevented.
stop raggn on the poor uninformed pax. ATA mngt should have told everyone the were ending operations in 24 hrs like PAA did. But why should mngt care anyway, they aren't walking away empty like the employees.
well at least you still have a job as we the ata employees who knew nothing about our airline going out of business do not, and united and has the same fare as we did!
So sorry to hear of this. I am sure your individual commitment and pride the people and employees of ATA displayed will carry you a long way in your future endeavors. Have faith and remember the good times
I nearly cried yesterday listening to NPR's interview of an ATA pilot who didn't know he had lost his job until he showed up at Midway and his access badge didn't work.
...and now the ATA execs are telling both the employees and the passengers to suck it up, while they make out gangbusters. Since when did "people before profits" become fighting words in this country?
I am sure American Trans Air employees are greatful for your compassion
Prospective Pax

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2008

And what about the employees? No warning at all! No hint that their jobs were about to be gone! Now they have no job, no money, no insurance, but they have living expenses that continue whether or not they are working. It isn't just a matter of "tightening the belt" because there is no belt to tighten. ATA handled this very poorly. I understand the thought of letting people know two weeks ahead and not having customers for those two weeks, but what about the employee whose house payment is due and they have no income. I hope the employees file a class action suit against ATA for this poor management decision of how to deal with the problem

I hope they do file a class action lawsuit against ATA Airlines owners and who are the Matlin Patterson hedge fund... and the rest of Global Aero Logistics all the same party.

The creditors of ATA also need to file the class action lawsuit against the Matlin Patterson and Global Aero Logistics holding company for destroying any value the ATA Airlines name had for potential sell of the certificate and airlines identity..... what a tragic loss for the industry.
Prospective Pax

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2008

Very no-class of ATA's board of directors not to mention anything about their airline's folding. Those guys better not put anything ATA-related on their resumes. And if they do, I hope they spend a LONG time looking for a job. Those guys are perfect examples of why managers and owners in America have a bad name.

Agreed
I'm sure all of the top execs are walking away with millions in their pockets.
I agree 100%! Did you notice how the article said "virtually all" employees lost their jobs.
You can bet the ATA CEO got a fat exit bonus for this.

This is true... I think they are being given the term "key employees" by the management conspiracy running the show.
Well, ATA just ruined my vacation plans to see my son for the first time in 3 years! Had I known I would have booked on another airline. I worked for almost a year to scrape together the airfare for Hawaii and now it's gone....I'm going to miss the birth of my granddaughter too....THANKS A LOT ATA

the hedge fund that runs Global Aero Logistics ATA ruined your reunion... I am sorry but the people of ATA Airlines did not. THANKS ALOT GLOBAL AERO LOGISTICS.
So sorry to hear of this.... pleas consider a class action lawsuit against MatlinPatterson hedge fund.
Wow.
I assume that they spoke with a legal team before following through with such actions; as such I am afraid that this might be a legal thing to do, no accountability to customers and employees.
So true!
Prospective Pax

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2008

Ahhhhhh.....

If Only ATA Airlines had been operating under the Name: Bear Stearns Airlines....

But, then they don't have that cozy New York Connection, do they ????

Who is MATLINPATTERSON / Matlin Patterson - are they the same owners of Global Aero Logistics - World Airways and Global Aero Logistics - North American Airlines?
With ATA

"You're on PERMANENT vacation"

!!!

(; cute one but a sad one too
I'll bet that Hillary got the call at 3AM that ATA was going under. She then proceeded to go back to sleep!
I can't believe that ATA was still selling tickets the day before they folded. What a bunch of crap.

Yes it is... I always thought it was a bit of a conflict of interest with this company (ATA)which was so commited to the AMC troop movement flights to be flying around the Democrat Candiates which seem to have so much contempt for the troops.

Now these same Democrat candidates seem to have just as much or equal contempt for the loyal employees of Global Aero Logistics ATA by continuing to use Global Aero Logistics North American Airlines which is all the same company.
Sounds like people need to actually do something about this -- like filing a class action lawsuit

How can ATA get away with accepting airfare knowing they were going under? Then to have the nerve (to put it lightly) to call a residence asking for more money the day before this came to be known. Now these people have to fight to get their refunds...that's criminal activity.

Direct the class action lawsuit to the hedge fund company finanacial investment firm Matlin Patterson's Global Oppurtunties Fund II. They could have directed their other companies flight operation to accomodate the stranded passengers by rerouting them on World Airways or North American Airlines charter aircraft.

AMR and American Airlines and American Eagle Airlines do this for their stranded passengers all the time and even on other none owned airlines
Prospective Pax

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2008

It's so sad for the passengers and even more for the employees..I wish them the best and to find a new and better jobs...

American Airlines really helped us out as we attempted to get to Midway after our flight was canceled from HONOLULU as ATA call it quits...Thank American Airlines

That is kind of you. I am aware of a few people who are involved with this through my consulting work.

Thanks AAers... TZ frontline (;
Company Successor

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

Matlin Patterson's Global Aviation Holdings, the
rebranded parent successor company of AMTRAN / ATA, has just been placed into bankruptcy yet again by MatlinPatterson.

MatlinPatterson's track record of bankruptcies is thus

New ATA Holdings
Global Aero Logistics
Global Aviation Holdings
Global Aviation Holdings - bankrupt again.

Hell the banned Frank Lorenzo for such a track record. Shouldn't Mark Patterson and David Matlin, along with the Asian guy be banned too with a record like this.

Varig, Arrow Air, hell the list goes on and on.

iro
Proud T Party American

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

Judged:

These business executives are entitled to bankrupt their business interests. They are members of the investment class. They are also deserving of the golden parachutes they will most assuredly receive. Leaving the workers nothing. This is good.

This is capitalism. To restrain these members of business would be comparable to communism.

Btw,these men are deserving of tax-breaks. Give these men of wealth tax-breaks!

People with money should be given the most breaks.

In America we must show respect,honor and bow down to the businessman. That is the American Way.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

46 Users are viewing the Indianapolis Forum right now

Search the Indianapolis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
More obamacare lies 38 min Andrew 2
Westboro Baptist Church to picket Indianapolis 500 2 hr Teh Enforcer 5
If Obama had a son...... 2 hr Teh Enforcer 20
The truth about homicide in Indy 2 hr Teh Enforcer 135
Obama throws race card. Voter ID fraud is key 2 hr Andrew 22
New study says Pot destroys the Brain 3 hr Teh Enforcer 5
Cigar may be to blame for Indianapolis garage fire 4 hr Sneaky Pete 16
•••
•••