Comments
41 - 60 of 134 Comments Last updated Nov 21, 2012
Spotter

Indianapolis, IN

#47 Nov 12, 2012
John Carrier wrote:
gas leak, plain and simple.

Every year there are explosions from leaks most are caught in time or only blow out a wall.
Every few years you'll see 1 where the house is completely gone and debris blown out up to a a couple hundred feet in every direction.

If they did have a leak, all it would take is for it to get cold at night the furnace call for heat and the spark igniter for the flame detonate it.
Some people find the truth too boring. Common sense has no place amongst loose change conspiracy theorists.

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, IN

#48 Nov 13, 2012
This neighborhood is relatively new, meaning the homes are sealed up pretty well due to all the ways they use to prevent air leaks. That also prevents gas leaking out.

Where we typically see a basement filling with gas and the house blows upward, it's conceivable this one filled up the above ground space at least do a degree and that could explain the way it seemed to rip through the houses adjacent to it.

The way they packed the houses so close together along the street was no help.
krap

Indianapolis, IN

#49 Nov 13, 2012
Uh Clem wrote:
This neighborhood is relatively new, meaning the homes are sealed up pretty well due to all the ways they use to prevent air leaks. That also prevents gas leaking out.

Where we typically see a basement filling with gas and the house blows upward, it's conceivable this one filled up the above ground space at least do a degree and that could explain the way it seemed to rip through the houses adjacent to it.

The way they packed the houses so close together along the street was no help.
That's my guess.

I'm not sure why so many are demanding answers. If it wasn't in their neighborhood, why do they care? Gives people something to talk about I guess.

Prayers to those who lost so much. May the deceased rest in peace.
Maverick

Indianapolis, IN

#51 Nov 13, 2012
Uh Clem wrote:
This neighborhood is relatively new, meaning the homes are sealed up pretty well due to all the ways they use to prevent air leaks. That also prevents gas leaking out.
Where we typically see a basement filling with gas and the house blows upward, it's conceivable this one filled up the above ground space at least do a degree and that could explain the way it seemed to rip through the houses adjacent to it.
The way they packed the houses so close together along the street was no help.
Exactly what I've been thinking.
The furnace and hot water heater would have been in the basement, but all that was needed was an open basement door the leads into the ground level living area. The gas would escape the basement area and occupy the highest point in the house. The gas would fill the entire upper floors before a combustible mixture would occupy the basement. But eventually, the concentration gas to oxygen mixture would eventually rise to that combustible mixture at basement furnace level and end up igniting a blast that has two stories of highly concentrated gas that would cause on helluva explosion.
Maverick

Indianapolis, IN

#52 Nov 13, 2012
krap wrote:
<quoted text>
That's my guess.
I'm not sure why so many are demanding answers. If it wasn't in their neighborhood, why do they care? Gives people something to talk about I guess.
Prayers to those who lost so much. May the deceased rest in peace.
The media is reporting tidbits in a way that is raising the suspicion of this being an intentional act. That's probably why people are demanding answers.
Maverick

Indianapolis, IN

#53 Nov 13, 2012
Spotter wrote:
The world may never know who the shooter was on the grassy knoll
Had the same thought but wondered if it's too late for Jack to save the day.
NTSB

Indianapolis, IN

#54 Nov 13, 2012
NTSB pulled out of the investigation. Said absolutely nothing wrong with underground gas lines.
Not Snarky

Bloomington, IN

#55 Nov 13, 2012
Carl Sweeney wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it does. Especially with brick fronts. Vinyl villages are one step away from a trailer park.
With all due respect, your arrogance is showing. My family and I live in a new large ALL brick home out in the country, and we are not overly fond of vinyl siding. But, it cost a bundle to build, half again as much had we not chosen brick. Not everyone has the funds for that, but still can afford a new house.... and although it is true that too many Americans have been lured into thinking they can afford new construction and have gone too much in debt, the couple who died in this explosion may have been responsible buyers. One runs into trouble painting everyone with a broad brush.

Personally, I prefer an all vinyl siding home rather than to try to put up just a brick front, but to each his own. Americans don't have a lot of choices, because if a house is built with all wood like several years ago, the upkeep adds up to a lot of expense and work over the years. But nice middle class neighborhoods such as Richmond Hills certainly should not be described as just "a step away from a trailer park", IMO.
Rob Hood

Noblesville, IN

#56 Nov 13, 2012
Maverick wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly what I've been thinking.
The furnace and hot water heater would have been in the basement, but all that was needed was an open basement door the leads into the ground level living area. The gas would escape the basement area and occupy the highest point in the house. The gas would fill the entire upper floors before a combustible mixture would occupy the basement. But eventually, the concentration gas to oxygen mixture would eventually rise to that combustible mixture at basement furnace level and end up igniting a blast that has two stories of highly concentrated gas that would cause on helluva explosion.
Newer homes like mine have the furnace and water heaters upstairs.
NTSB

Indianapolis, IN

#57 Nov 13, 2012
Not Snarky wrote:
<quoted text>With all due respect, your arrogance is showing. My family and I live in a new large ALL brick home out in the country, and we are not overly fond of vinyl siding. But, it cost a bundle to build, half again as much had we not chosen brick. Not everyone has the funds for that, but still can afford a new house.... and although it is true that too many Americans have been lured into thinking they can afford new construction and have gone too much in debt, the couple who died in this explosion may have been responsible buyers. One runs into trouble painting everyone with a broad brush.

Personally, I prefer an all vinyl siding home rather than to try to put up just a brick front, but to each his own. Americans don't have a lot of choices, because if a house is built with all wood like several years ago, the upkeep adds up to a lot of expense and work over the years. But nice middle class neighborhoods such as Richmond Hills certainly should not be described as just "a step away from a trailer park", IMO.
http://www.mold-help.org/content/view/488/

Yes, what fine homes these mass production houses are. So fine, that literally every builder has been sued.
Not Snarky

Bloomington, IN

#58 Nov 13, 2012
NTSB wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.mold-help.org/content/view/488/
Yes, what fine homes these mass production houses are. So fine, that literally every builder has been sued.
So, have the homes in Richmond Hills been affected by mold? It appears to me from the photos, that the subdivision was built about 10-15 years ago?
Big Bang Theory

Indianapolis, IN

#59 Nov 13, 2012
Someone blew that house up, no way around it.
realtor

Indianapolis, IN

#60 Nov 13, 2012
Sure wouldn't buy a house within a 2 mile radius of that place. Structural damage may not be visible for a while but you can be sure it will show up in some structures.

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, IN

#61 Nov 13, 2012
Not Snarky wrote:
<quoted text>
So, have the homes in Richmond Hills been affected by mold? It appears to me from the photos, that the subdivision was built about 10-15 years ago?
The owner of the house that blew said it was 8 yrs old.

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, IN

#62 Nov 13, 2012
Big Bang Theory wrote:
Someone blew that house up, no way around it.
Word on the street is there was a big bad wolf seen heading down Sherman Dr at a high rate of speed shortly after.
erictightpants

Indianapolis, IN

#63 Nov 13, 2012
Uh Clem wrote:
<quoted text>Word on the street is there was a big bad wolf seen heading down Sherman Dr at a high rate of speed shortly after.
Where are Danny Glover and Mel Gibson when you need them? Lethal Weapon 10!
jle76

Greenwood, IN

#64 Nov 13, 2012
the lady that lived in the ground zero house is on video sobbing saying the authorities keep asking her if she had any enemies. so strange.
velogeezer

New Palestine, IN

#65 Nov 13, 2012
Uh Clem wrote:
<quoted text>
Word on the street is there was a big bad wolf seen heading down Sherman Dr at a high rate of speed shortly after.
He is not guilty. He blows them DOWN, not UP.
Petreaous

Columbia City, IN

#66 Nov 13, 2012
I heard it was from an anti-islamic video on youtube.
Rob Hood

Noblesville, IN

#67 Nov 13, 2012
Maverick wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly what I've been thinking.
The furnace and hot water heater would have been in the basement, but all that was needed was an open basement door the leads into the ground level living area. The gas would escape the basement area and occupy the highest point in the house. The gas would fill the entire upper floors before a combustible mixture would occupy the basement. But eventually, the concentration gas to oxygen mixture would eventually rise to that combustible mixture at basement furnace level and end up igniting a blast that has two stories of highly concentrated gas that would cause on helluva explosion.
Wrong. Homes today are usually built on slabs with the furnace and water heaters upstairs in a mechanical room.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama Bin Awful 11 min Past It 2
looking for opiates (Aug '13) 8 hr yomama 42
Thanks, racist lady! (No, seriously!) 12 hr Georgie 4
Search intensifies for missing Indianapolis baby 16 hr Blackology 4
Fast food strikes return amid push for wage hikes (Dec '13) 17 hr swedenforever 25
BUYERS BEWARE - Junk John Deere Lawn tractors a... (Sep '11) 23 hr jeppy 104
Why do most Blacks hate Whites? (Jul '13) Thu Georgie 252
•••
•••
Indianapolis Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Indianapolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Indianapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Indianapolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Indianapolis
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••