Report: Worst underage drinking zip c...

Report: Worst underage drinking zip codes

There are 46 comments on the WISH-TV 8 Indiana News story from Sep 29, 2008, titled Report: Worst underage drinking zip codes. In it, WISH-TV 8 Indiana News reports that:

A new report pinpoints the parts of Marion County where alcohol related crimes are most likely to happen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WISH-TV 8 Indiana News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
mbnjmntrb

Green Bay, WI

#1 Sep 29, 2008
"Beals is urging people who live in those zip codes and others to keep track of how many alcohol retailers there are in the area and let the State Alcohol and Tobacco Commission know if they think there are too many."

!!!what? underaged drinking problems dont come from too many stores, they come from lack of enforcement and education. how is a small business owner who runs their shop lawfully supposed to contend with complaints that they even exist?
bsu

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Sep 29, 2008
It is going to be next to impossible to stop underage drinking. I think indianapolis needs to worry about the increasing crime rate that is taking place with murders and crimes of that nature. I cant wait to see how this turns out
not rocket science

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Sep 29, 2008
46201 zip near east side has 4 city parks including brookside, willard.
46202 military park, white river state park, near westside downtown.
46203 garfield park as well as a few other small parks
46222 include i.u.p.u.i. dorms and apratments serving college students
46227 this one seems to be unique southport and perry meridian.
most of the zip codes where city parks with picnic and people hanging out and in some cases events like concerts and various celebrations taking place are more predictible. and as always the college kids sowing their wild oats. so it should not be; or hopefully would not be; a real mystery here to our governing fathers as to why and when it is happening. 46227 may require some attention from mom and dad.
robert

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Sep 29, 2008
bsu wrote:
It is going to be next to impossible to stop underage drinking. I think indianapolis needs to worry about the increasing crime rate that is taking place with murders and crimes of that nature. I cant wait to see how this turns out
there was a thread this weakend about a prostitution arrest and that was one of the comments "dont worry about it" so were not supposed to be concerned with pot use, prostitution, and now underage drinking. maybe that is why things are as bad as they are nothing is ever really wrong or at least not bad enough that we should do anything about. more people were killed [murdered] by drunk drivers than were murdered. over 40,000 people died last year in alchol related fatalities. so maybe this might be more important than you realize.
Deacon Blues

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Sep 30, 2008
Good job to the police in these zip codes for enforcing the laws. This just shows they are doing their jobs...their underpaid under appreciated jobs. Don't immediately assume that the areas are bad areas (zip codes)There are places in these areas where youth may congregate for...unscrupulous shenanigans, so good for the cops for being out there. I bet other zip codes have issues too, maybe their law enforcement could look to the police in these areas for what to look for and why.
just curious

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Sep 30, 2008
Everywhere you go in the city there is alcohol retailer on the corner! And the want to know if there are too many?
just curious

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Sep 30, 2008
not rocket science wrote:
46201 zip near east side has 4 city parks including brookside, willard.
46202 military park, white river state park, near westside downtown.
46203 garfield park as well as a few other small parks
46222 include i.u.p.u.i. dorms and apratments serving college students
46227 this one seems to be unique southport and perry meridian.
most of the zip codes where city parks with picnic and people hanging out and in some cases events like concerts and various celebrations taking place are more predictible. and as always the college kids sowing their wild oats. so it should not be; or hopefully would not be; a real mystery here to our governing fathers as to why and when it is happening. 46227 may require some attention from mom and dad.
Southside rules!!!!! Our high school sporting teams suck so kids drink!

“Vote or Shut it!”

Since: Oct 07

Sasparilla

#8 Sep 30, 2008
I am FAR more interested in teaching \ preaching RESPONSIBLE CONSUMPTION than I am concerned with preventing underaged drinking. If you prevent kids from drinking at all...they will grow up to be uneducated and untrained "LEGAL" drinkers. That spells disaster. If you teach young people how to drink responibly, they will be safe responsible drinkers their whole lives. Which do YOU think makes more sense?

“Vote or Shut it!”

Since: Oct 07

Sasparilla

#9 Sep 30, 2008
robert wrote:
<quoted text>
there was a thread this weakend about a prostitution arrest and that was one of the comments "dont worry about it" so were not supposed to be concerned with pot use, prostitution, and now underage drinking. maybe that is why things are as bad as they are nothing is ever really wrong or at least not bad enough that we should do anything about. more people were killed [murdered] by drunk drivers than were murdered. over 40,000 people died last year in alchol related fatalities. so maybe this might be more important than you realize.
And every one of these offenders grew up in a society that believed that you should not teach responible drinking to young people. The bad behavior is the result of that attitude. We can keep doing the same thing and settle for the same result...or we can stop worrying about a 17 year old haviong a beer and start teeaching him\her to drink responsibly. At home, under adult supervision, have a couple of beers and enjoy the company of your friends and family, NOT behind the wheel of a car!

Alcohol related fatalities is a very poorly calculated statistic. Just because 1 or more of the people involved in an accident may have had 1 or more sips of alcohol in a 24 hour period does not mean it was a factor in the accident. For instance, If a passenger had a glass of wine and their car was hit by a non-drinker, that is still considered an alcohol related accident. Even though alcohol played no role in the accident.
Starlette Miller

Redford, MI

#10 Sep 30, 2008
Corbin Leape wrote:
I am FAR more interested in teaching \ preaching RESPONSIBLE CONSUMPTION than I am concerned with preventing underaged drinking. If you prevent kids from drinking at all...they will grow up to be uneducated and untrained "LEGAL" drinkers. That spells disaster. If you teach young people how to drink responibly, they will be safe responsible drinkers their whole lives. Which do YOU think makes more sense?
Makes sense to me.
listen

United States

#11 Sep 30, 2008
where are DITCH MITCH'S chicken cops??????
joann

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Sep 30, 2008
Corbin Leape wrote:
<quoted text>
And every one of these offenders grew up in a society that believed that you should not teach responible drinking to young people. The bad behavior is the result of that attitude. We can keep doing the same thing and settle for the same result...or we can stop worrying about a 17 year old haviong a beer and start teeaching him\her to drink responsibly. At home, under adult supervision, have a couple of beers and enjoy the company of your friends and family,
what is the drop out rate for indianapolis public schools? over 50% some sources have it at 73%. we cannot teach them math and english and you think you can teach them how to drink?

you talk about all of the adults that have not been trained to drink; why not start with them; why dont you train them how to drink first and once you have proven you logic then we will start on the kids.

in 2006 close to 40% of all fatal traffic accidents were alchol related.
so start a program to train adults how to drink first.
on the dot

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Sep 30, 2008
joann wrote:
<quoted text>
what is the drop out rate for indianapolis public schools? over 50% some sources have it at 73%. we cannot teach them math and english and you think you can teach them how to drink?
you talk about all of the adults that have not been trained to drink; why not start with them; why dont you train them how to drink first and once you have proven you logic then we will start on the kids.
in 2006 close to 40% of all fatal traffic accidents were alchol related.
so start a program to train adults how to drink first.
now that makes sense to me. lets keep them in school and teach them how to read and write first.
Kyl

Lexington, KY

#14 Sep 30, 2008
Parenting these days leaves something to be desired. Does anyone have an idea what their teens are up to?
anthony

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Sep 30, 2008
Starlette Miller wrote:
<quoted text>
Makes sense to me.
from one drunk to another --- cheers
heat1234

Las Vegas, NV

#16 Sep 30, 2008
eastside rules punk
ipsteechgood

Noblesville, IN

#17 Sep 30, 2008
on the dot wrote:
<quoted text>
now that makes sense to me. lets keep them in school and teach them how to read and write first.
Ifss use trye too kepe us inn skule tell wie cans reed wheel bea fity yeers oled befour wie gradjueight.
robert

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Sep 30, 2008
seems like if the police want to stop underage drinking that maybe they should stop buy and see corbin and charlotte
jack daniels

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Sep 30, 2008
i am glad i read this post. who would have thought that after all of these years of alcholics ruining their health and hurting their families that the real problem was noone tought them how to drink.
can anyone tell me where you sign up for the classes on how to drink?
on the dot

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Sep 30, 2008
this is why the police and hiring more police is near hopeless. while they are trying tin enforce the laws people like this corbin and charlotte are teaching kids to disregard the law.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
best places to get a hook up 2 hr idiot 2
so we stick with the ACA 17 hr TrumpedOffTrumpcare 2
Black Thugs 23 hr whome 3
looking for a good lawyer for free advise Thu Ask for ID anyway 5
PresidentTrump is his own worst enemy Thu Where theres smoke 5
Can this country stand to have a president unde... Thu Before the Deluge 5
FlatEarth Thu Get Help 9

Indianapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance