Souvenir sell-off leaves taxpayers em...

Souvenir sell-off leaves taxpayers empty-handed

There are 142 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Mar 5, 2008, titled Souvenir sell-off leaves taxpayers empty-handed. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Our position: RCA Dome memorabilia should be recognized as public property. Football fans -- and fans of basketball, marching bands and monster trucks for that matter -- can own a piece of nostalgia beginning ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Shelbyville Grandma

Panama City, FL

#2 Mar 6, 2008
Once again the paying public gets the shaft and the Colts get the Glory! When will it end?
Shelbyville Grandma

Panama City, FL

#3 Mar 6, 2008
totally cereal of Memphis, TN might feel differently if he/she was paying the bill! We are taxed to the max!
Trouble in Gotham

Goshen, IN

#4 Mar 6, 2008
This is another reason to consider full impact of electing or apointing people who don't have a problem and do not care about impact to taxpayers.

Our taxpaying public will not receive that pile of money, and does not legally own everything in Dome. The Colts knew and understood its terms with Public financing. They are simply executing Colts' part of agreement.

Let's be careful what our officials may be signing off to in the future when going to the polls.
Ditch Mitch Daniels Now

Ochlocknee, GA

#5 Mar 6, 2008
DITCH MITCH & HIS TAX PAID STADIUM THIS FALL.
Priorities

Carmel, IN

#6 Mar 6, 2008
Figures that Ir$ay would get a cut of this. Oh well, eventually this city will slide out-of-control. We have no money and are spending money on stupid things like football and convention space. Maybe when the recession hits full steam ahead and conventions die down, we can convert half the convention center into much needed jail space. The current catch and release system just isn't working.
Marion Co Resident

United States

#7 Mar 6, 2008
It is time for all of the tax paying citizens to demand a re-negotiated contract. If the Colts have the attitude "not our problem". We should make it thier problem by refusing to maintain the facility with tax dollars. We are stuck paying for the white elephant where it is used for football or not, just to allow them to use it. We the tax payers end up the same. If they leave, which I doubt, so what. Makes them look like asses, not the tax payers. Makes them look greedy, not the tax payer. We need to demand a voters referndum on any future projects like this. I hope everyone got a kiss from the Colts because you just got another screwing.
Thugland

West Manchester, OH

#8 Mar 6, 2008
Listen to you all. Wah, we don't get the money from selling off crap that nobody should want anyway. Here's an idea, DON'T BUY IT. Who in the world would want seats where thousands of strangers' asses have rested, squirmed and farted? I really don't get it. But then, I'm not a fan(atic).
totally cereal

Collierville, TN

#9 Mar 6, 2008
Shelbyville Grandma wrote:
totally cereal of Memphis, TN might feel differently if he/she was paying the bill! We are taxed to the max!
i have lived and worked in marion county, indianapolis indiana all my life. google IP address. i'm happy to pay taxes for the developement and growth of a town that used to be a dot in a big corn field, and to some still is. the cost of living in indy is still pretty reasonable compared to similar sized coastal cities. i make o.k.$$$ but i'm broke and dont mind because indy is a great place to live and i cant take it with me when i go. this city has a lot to offer and yes, it's all over priced and over taxed. big deal, so is my home, autos, clothing and food but i manage. if i couldnt manage, i wouldnt have to move too far away to avoid the "evil taxes caused by mr irsay and his colts". ahhh a nice quiet life in the country, that's the ticket. if you wanna cheap, quiet and pollution free move to the sticks. otherwise, welcome to jungle.
Jeff

Fishers, IN

#10 Mar 6, 2008
Yeah DumbA$$, Mitch had sooooooooo much to do with that stadium. Try Bart Peterson and the CIB. Grow crawl back under your liberal rock.
Ditch Mitch Daniels Now wrote:
DITCH MITCH & HIS TAX PAID STADIUM THIS FALL.
totally cereal

Collierville, TN

#12 Mar 6, 2008
Priorities wrote:
Maybe when the recession hits full steam ahead
quit watching the nightly news. go to the mall on any weekend. ask the folks that have filled the parking lots how they can afford to shop, dine and go to the movies during such hard economic times. be sure to remind them that a couple of pennies they spent goes directly to millionaire athletes and buisnessmen. what a world, what a world.
totally cereal

Collierville, TN

#13 Mar 6, 2008
Marion Co Resident wrote:
We need to demand a voters referndum on any future projects like this.
great idea resident. voters put the people that made the decisions you dont like, in office in the 1st place. do you really want people that voted for GWB or Julia (the majority) deciding anything important? chances are you'll get the exact same result you have now.
Carl Hoffman papa serf

AOL

#15 Mar 6, 2008
When no one speaks up for the taxpayers the taxpayers get the the shaft. Our dearly elected signed away the taxpayers dollars in a deal with no public say so and now we are again reaping the results. The over runs and side deals are getting money into the pockets of private people who are favored by our elected over the common good of the taxpayers.

Register and vote citizens as we need to empty out the statehouse and maybe sell the empty seats there to others who will do the will of the people.
Have a clue

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Mar 6, 2008
totally cereal wrote:
2 nonprofits staking claim to a windfall profit. let the bashing begin. irsay and the colts are also to blame for the fire in S.D., Katrina, global warming, the national crime rate, the weakening $, high taxes world wide, J. Wooden's broken wrist, spygate, watergate, the blue dress and F1 leaving Indy. everything else is the pacers fault. GIVE IT A FREAKING REST RATS.
If you had a real job and paid real taxes, you would be concerned.
No Stadium For Me

Rock Island, IL

#17 Mar 6, 2008
Perhaps that money could have been used to keep F1 here and add some culture and class to the city while bringing in millions for local businesses. IMS wasn't built with tax payer's money. Take some of the money and prosecute Irsay for robbing the poor, toothless, hillbillies that feel the need to purchase all of that ugly blue garb to wear on their trips to Wal Mart.
totally cereal wrote:
2 nonprofits staking claim to a windfall profit. let the bashing begin. irsay and the colts are also to blame for the fire in S.D., Katrina, global warming, the national crime rate, the weakening $, high taxes world wide, J. Wooden's broken wrist, spygate, watergate, the blue dress and F1 leaving Indy. everything else is the pacers fault. GIVE IT A FREAKING REST RATS.
tired of the bs

Tucson, AZ

#19 Mar 6, 2008
totally cereal wrote:
<quoted text>
i have lived and worked in marion county, indianapolis indiana all my life. google IP address. i'm happy to pay taxes for the developement and growth of a town that used to be a dot in a big corn field, and to some still is. the cost of living in indy is still pretty reasonable compared to similar sized coastal cities. i make o.k.$$$ but i'm broke and dont mind because indy is a great place to live and i cant take it with me when i go. this city has a lot to offer and yes, it's all over priced and over taxed. big deal, so is my home, autos, clothing and food but i manage. if i couldnt manage, i wouldnt have to move too far away to avoid the "evil taxes caused by mr irsay and his colts". ahhh a nice quiet life in the country, that's the ticket. if you wanna cheap, quiet and pollution free move to the sticks. otherwise, welcome to jungle.
Irsay loves people like you. This is the attitude he is counting on to make a few million more while taxpayers lose out.
Not Jim Irsey

Indianapolis, IN

#22 Mar 6, 2008
Let them eat cake.
Action

United States

#23 Mar 6, 2008
Say it aint so!!
JBP

Bringhurst, IN

#24 Mar 6, 2008
Priorities wrote:
Figures that Ir$ay would get a cut of this. Oh well, eventually this city will slide out-of-control. We have no money and are spending money on stupid things like football and convention space. Maybe when the recession hits full steam ahead and conventions die down, we can convert half the convention center into much needed jail space. The current catch and release system just isn't working.
Did you read the F-ing article? Irsay doesn't make a dime from this. Rest assured that the sale of any Colt's memorabilia won't contribute to another horrible Irsay pin-striped suit. It is a shame that the taxpayers won't benefit. However, if government sold this stuff, they would sell it next to nothing and not make near the cash that the foundations will reap.

FYI: Conventions are booked years in advance, and the new additions are already making money. As much as you want the expansion to fail just so you can "be right," it's not going to happen.
Jim

Indianapolis, IN

#25 Mar 6, 2008
It looks like us tax payers are getting stuck again.
Jay

United States

#26 Mar 6, 2008
This diversion to the two non-profits is a criminal conversion of public property.

Par for the course in this town.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trumps Nazi America 1 hr Bedtime for Democ... 6
News Let it Out (Oct '07) 3 hr Dorothy Rynard 249
Neo-Nazi who attended Charlottesville Neo-Nazi ... 23 hr Actions have cons... 1
Black People Alert Fri Just my observations 24
Gorka’s Fate ‘Extremely Uncertain’ as Boss Bann... Fri U GORKA GIRL 1
Bannon: Trump presidency is over Fri Bye Bye Bannon By... 1
Not welcome here says Dem Gov of Virginia Fri I C P knows all 6

Indianapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance