Jury awards $3.7M in distressed birth

Jury awards $3.7M in distressed birth

There are 167 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 28, 2008, titled Jury awards $3.7M in distressed birth. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Judgment against doctor, St. V will be cut to $1.95M Tom Wood Volkswagen Looking for a Price Quote? Maybe You Need to Schedule a Service Appointment or Test Drive? Tom Wood Volkswagen, Indiana's Premier VW ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Old Guy

Noblesville, IN

#1 Feb 28, 2008
Another lawyer lottery winner...
yoyo

Bellevue, KY

#2 Feb 28, 2008
And what is the law firm payment? Is it based on $3.7 or $1.95?
mykidzmom

Greenfield, IN

#3 Feb 28, 2008
We all live with medical mistakes everyday. Doctors all need to be held accountable. Hopefully this will send them a message.
indymomof2

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Feb 28, 2008
While I feel for the mother & child in this case, I also feel for the OB. Dr. Bradley delivered my second child -- it was a beautiful birth, and she did a great job.

Yes, we all make mistakes -- and apparently the jury seemed to think Dr. Bradley made one in this case (although the medical review board did not). But I hope people will think about all the other babies Dr. Bradley has delivered that are healthy, happy children.

It's a lose-lose situation for everyone involved.
Police Wife

Noblesville, IN

#5 Feb 28, 2008
mykidzmom wrote:
We all live with medical mistakes everyday. Doctors all need to be held accountable. Hopefully this will send them a message.
AMEN!!! They are supposed to be the "cream of the crop" that get into medical school. I can tell you from some that I have worked with in the hospital, that they are NOT. Still, know that many are very good and most really do care about you. Be careful, educated, full of questions, and DO get that second opinion. It may save your life.
Disillusioned

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Feb 28, 2008
Ahh yes, another worthless headline by this poorly edited paper. Who cares what the jury award was, the actual award was 1.95M. Have to put the bigger number though to sell more papers instead of the actual amount.
Police Wife

Noblesville, IN

#7 Feb 28, 2008
Where does that money come from---the Indiana Patient's Compensation Fund. Is it from the MD's and hospital's malpractice insurance premiums, of which a portion is mandated to this? Does anyone know? I am sure it gets passed onto the consumer in office visits and procedure costs anyway. Just curious.

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Feb 28, 2008
Police Wife wrote:
<quoted text>
AMEN!!! They are supposed to be the "cream of the crop" that get into medical school.
Ha! It's harder to get into Purdue's vet school than to get into medical school
True

Ft Mitchell, KY

#9 Feb 28, 2008
And people wonder why doctor visits are so expensive. All Lawyers do is leach money.
Bryan Maloney

United States

#10 Feb 28, 2008
So, Indiana law limits malpractice awards to what amounts to pocket change for these corporations. Exactly what one would expect from a state that still runs its affairs as if the year were 1830.
Christian

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Feb 28, 2008
St Vincent delivered all 4 of my kids and everything was fantastic. If only they had a crystal ball and could foresee each problem ahead of time. Hope the money makes it better for you, Lynch family.
weave

United States

#12 Feb 28, 2008
indymomof2 wrote:
While I feel for the mother & child in this case, I also feel for the OB. Dr. Bradley delivered my second child -- it was a beautiful birth, and she did a great job.
Yes, we all make mistakes -- and apparently the jury seemed to think Dr. Bradley made one in this case (although the medical review board did not). But I hope people will think about all the other babies Dr. Bradley has delivered that are healthy, happy children.
It's a lose-lose situation for everyone involved.
but, do you still have your sponge
Hoosier

Westerville, OH

#13 Feb 28, 2008
Doctors and hospitals aren't God. We expect perfection from them. The fact is that we live in a crummy world and **it happens. I'm amazed at what doctors do for us today, but I still put my faith in God.
Indy Attorney

Duncan, OK

#14 Feb 28, 2008
Police Wife wrote:
Where does that money come from---the Indiana Patient's Compensation Fund. Is it from the MD's and hospital's malpractice insurance premiums, of which a portion is mandated to this? Does anyone know? I am sure it gets passed onto the consumer in office visits and procedure costs anyway. Just curious.
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title34...
Alyssa Ping

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Feb 28, 2008
Why doesn't it say St. Vincent in big writing like it does when Clarian does something wrong. Interesting.
sorry

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Feb 28, 2008
"Our sympathies are with the family who had to endure this regrettable situation. Since this incident occurred, we have implemented various initiatives and policies to improve patient care and standardized our patient safety efforts.
"Our priorities will be to continue to identify opportunities to enhance our quality of care such as partnering with local and national organizations to share best practices around patient safety."

That is about the most UNsympathetic, scripted line of bull I've heard in a long time. I hope they don't think anyone actually believes they care.
genius

Noblesville, IN

#17 Feb 28, 2008
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha! It's harder to get into Purdue's vet school than to get into medical school
An animal can't tell you its head hurts a person can.
Matt

Palo Alto, CA

#18 Feb 28, 2008
You could probably google Indiana Patients's Comp Fund and find it. I'm going to guess it's not a quick hit sort of answer.
Police Wife wrote:
Concerned Citizen

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Feb 28, 2008
The lottery mentality in America is crippling our healthcare system. Does anyone GET IT? All the money in the world will not make this kid normal. No one can say definitively that this kid would have been any more normal even if the c-section was 12 minutes earlier. Trial lawyers SUCK and are sucking the life out of an already fragile system. I dare to say Sally Bradley is 1000x more caring than the best Ambulance Chaser lawyer in town.
Miss Kitty

Carmel, IN

#21 Feb 28, 2008
I think in this case, the malpractice suit award was a just one. In a litigious society it is hard not to be cynical about such a large award.

However, if you look at the facts, it was indeed a just cause to sue the hospital and doctor.

This woman, who was pregnant with a healthy infant, had a delay in getting her child born when the child was starting to come. This deprived the child of oxygen, hence, the child will have to live with cerebral palsy the rest of her life. I know of no child born healthy that has cerebral palsy. The child was finally taken via C-Section. If you look cerebral palsy up on merriam-webster.com , here is the definition:
a disability resulting from damage to the brain before, during, or shortly after birth and outwardly manifested by muscular incoordination and speech disturbances.

A child with cerebral palsy is very costly as well as high maintenance. If the child had been born timely, non of this would have transpired and the child would be living a normal healthy life.

I, too, applaud the jury's decision. I don't think $1.95M is too high of a judgement either. The Indianapolis Star said the $3.7M would be reduced to $1.95M.

And for all of you cynics, I am one person who does not condone law suits because I think 99.9% of them are frivolous. This is just one of the .1% that I agree with. Had this been me, I would have done the same thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Shots fired at Kroger on Indy's south side 24 min ugh 7
how to engage a fanatic 2 hr YEs 1
Lefvtist Widow lying 5 hr YEs 3
John McCain mocks Donald Trumpís Vietnam dodge ... 11 hr nono 4
News Justin Timberlake to do Super Bowl halftime show 14 hr TrumpedDaKnee 2
what will you say?? Sun Agreeing 15
News Honor Flight takes 89 Hoosier vets to visit mem... Sun BadIdea 1

Indianapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance