N.C. State recruit Mays leads basketb...

N.C. State recruit Mays leads basketball revival for Marion Hig...

There are 22 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Dec 6, 2007, titled N.C. State recruit Mays leads basketball revival for Marion Hig.... In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Heritage Christian's Kelly Faris; South Central's Brittany Schoen. * 1:45 p.m.: Howe vs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Snip Cahue

Fairmount, IN

#1 Dec 7, 2007
What a great kid Julius is! Coach Luce is right -- Julius is all about the team. He's a winner on the court and a winner off the court.
Jim Osborn

Monon, IN

#2 Dec 7, 2007
This is a minor point, but a 5 foot and change Monte Towe played for Oak Hill. Monte Towe's Oak Hill team shocked the perennial powerhouse Marion Giants at the Marion regional in the early 70's. Talk about David v. Goliah. It was Indiana basketball at its best!
statman

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Dec 7, 2007
Yes, Julius is a great kid. I have had him in class two different years. He is nothing but class and a great teammate. And by the way, Oak Hill beat Marion in the sectional that year, not the regional.
Bob

Fort Wayne, IN

#4 Dec 7, 2007
Let the great tradition continue in Marion. I attended another NCC school, but have always appreciated the greatness in sports and academically for a number of Marion stars.

My favorite - James Blackmon who is now working to coach a state championship. See also: Joseph Price, Lyndon Jones, Ron Peters, Dave Colescott and on and on and on!
Colts Fan

Cincinnati, OH

#5 Dec 7, 2007
Its a shame not going to Purdue or IU so we can track his career.
NCC Fan

Bowling Green, KY

#6 Dec 7, 2007
I'm glad to see an NCC team doing well. I get sick of only hearing about the Indy schools and private schools (who all recruit).

Also, Marion has probably 1400 students. They are in 4A. North Central has 4000 students. They are also in 4A. How is class basketball fair in that regard. The disparity between the largest 3A school and the smallest 1A school is probably only 1000 students.

Since all NCC schools are close to Marion's size, they are at a disadvantage in 4A. Just another reason class-basketball is terribble. Go back to single-class.
Marion Giant

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Dec 7, 2007
Jim, what might have happened is that even though Towe went to Oak Hill, he might have had a Marion address (as many Oak Hill students do). So, they consider him a Marion native. Julius is a great person though. His name is always on the honor roll.
BB-Fan

Euclid, OH

#8 Dec 7, 2007
You forgot about Jay Edwards. He was the best all around player that Marion had. He is the only player that made former coach Knight jump up and down in a good way. He was an excellant 3 pointer, and he and Lyndon Johnson were good together. Jay and Lyndon shared Mr. Basketball titles, and were chosen and played on the McDonald's all star team one year nationally. Marion has a lot of good basketball players, some of which never are recognized. Of course there is nothing else to do in Marion for the youngsters except play basketball. You can drive through several neighborhoods in Marion, and every house has a basketball hoop attached to their garage.
BIG RJ

South Bend, IN

#11 Dec 7, 2007
DON'T FORGET ZACH RANDOLPH
BB-Fan

Euclid, OH

#12 Dec 7, 2007
Jay Edwards' son will be one of the starters for Marion in the game Saturday afternoon.
Marion Man

United States

#13 Dec 7, 2007
You are right about Mays. He has a very tight knit family. Jay Jr is probably one of the best all around athletes to ever play for Marion. He's actually a better football player in my opinion. Both should be All Stars this year.
jcwcolts123

United States

#14 Dec 7, 2007
the year marion put there whole team on the all star team that was the greatest team in the history of high school basketball
purplereign

Miamisburg, OH

#15 Dec 7, 2007
All HOMEGROWN talent too.....Stretch Murphy, Dave Colescott, James Blackmon, Jay Edwards, Lyndon Jones, Zach Randolph, Julius Mays, and many many more....Marion has been blessed with State Champs, All-Stars, and the most Trester Award winners in state history. We're Back!!
One man

Frankfort, IN

#16 Dec 7, 2007
I don't know him personally but being a local kid, I'm hoping to see him shine at NC State and perhaps the NBA.
Jerry

Kendallville, IN

#17 Dec 10, 2007
Monte was from Down Town Converse, Indiana, and actually in the Miami county part of Converse, so no he did not have a Marion address!
Haha

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Dec 10, 2007
Downtown Converse? Does such a thing even exist?
Foote

United States

#19 Dec 11, 2007
I love the marion giants, grew up with them "" I was mad crazy about Jay Edwards and Lydon Jones, Eric Keys and many more. We are the true Purple Reign !!!
Foote

United States

#20 Dec 11, 2007
I meant Derrick Keys, Lyndon Jones and Jay Edwards !!! My all time favorite !!
Chicago IL

Chicago, IL

#21 Dec 12, 2007
Joe Luce has that program doing amazing things. This program was a disaster after Moe Smedley left and he has revived it. Not to take anything away from Julius, he will do great things for the sport of basketball, but hats off to the man that is a great coach. Marion is a city that once was motivated by its basketball team, and Coach Luce is bringing back that tradition
chi-47

Cicero, IL

#22 Dec 28, 2007
Marion truly is a great town for basketball. We have had tremendous teams over the years and think that Marion is really the Mr. Basketball of the state. I'm looking forward to seeing great things out of Julius and Scotty and my man McCallum is the best 6th man in the state. New Albany is a disappointment but losses aren't always bad!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump NFL 'boycott' results in highest NFL rati... 3 hr Boycott L O L 7
News WWII vet knelt with the NFL players Sunday 3 hr Boycott L O L 10
Boycott the Colts and the NFL 4 hr Boycott L O L 11
Kushner used private email to conduct White Hou... 4 hr TrumpCare Defeate... 3
Repeal Bill deal maybe 4 hr Trump DOA Again 2
Dwight Bell 10 hr Colyermaryann 11
News Indiana Muslims offended by 'Islamophobic' bill... 12 hr Yup 127

Indianapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance