Questions remain in serious injury accident

Jan 25, 2011 Full story: Rushville Republican 77

A 24-year-old man, identified as Adam C. Helbing, of Stow, Ohio was seriously injured in a single vehicle accident just before 8:30 a.m. Saturday.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
tracy

Bellevue, WA

#63 May 29, 2013
frustrated citizens wrote:
Rushville is a pathetic little redneck town with too many inbred people and others who think there better than everyone else. Lived here for 40 years and glad to be gone from this worthless hick town. God bless you young man and hope your life gets better.
amen you took the words right out of my mouth. give the kid a break. everyone makes mistakes. let the person who has never made a mistake, cast the first stone. he pays for his mistakes everyday of his life. hope you keep up the great work your doing now.
You like it both ways

Mesa, AZ

#64 May 29, 2013
I guess if one says they are into God and all that it automatically makes them no longer responsible and able to cast stones on a town while crying about stones being cast at himself. Hypocrite. The lot of you holy rollers. leave the town alone. They never asked for you to come of thrust yourself on them anyways.
Try actually taking responsibility for what you did ALONG with people of the towns RIGHT to feel upset. Instead you damn a whole town for something you feel was done to you. Again. You crashed into them. Not them into you. Give it up. An try not trashing and judging an entire town to make yourself feel more "righteous". That's not very Godly is it. Be glad you got out alive and without charges. Stop bringing it back up to try and sell a book bashing a town your not even from.
Disappointed

Columbus, OH

#65 May 30, 2013
I have a question for Adam when you do your speakings how much of the real truth is included in there? I doubt you take responsibility for your actions, you probably blame it on the bipolar disorder. You say no one on here knows what it is like to live with bipolar disorder and that seems to be where more of your focus is. Well sorry to burst your bubble but according the NIMH about 5.7 million people live with bipolar disorder in the U.S. alone and about 6 million people living with paralysis. And guess what your not even the first quadriplegic to have bipolar disorder. You are just one to try and use sympathy to make a living or (do your calling) as you put it. There are a lot of people with SCI's and people with bipolar living normal lives and not complaining about it. Guess what there are things in this life that you can not control, you could have and chose not to. YES you made the choice not to take your medication. You said you never asked for a dime while doing your 40+ speeches, but how much money did you receive? You mentioned in a previous post that you live off of medicaid, social security and disability, How many fundraisers have you had to raise money for yourself or people have for you? Did you already spend all that money that people were kind enough to spare out of their own pockets? You mentioned that you were 24 when you had your accident and are 26 now, as far as I know and this should be public knowledge is that Obama extended coverage of all people 26 and under to be covered under their parents insurance plan. So for the last 2 years and actually every since you were paralyzed you were covered under your parents insurance and still are right now, where is that part in your speech. I am not saying that you do not have medicaid, I am trying to point out that it is not all you have or all you have had like many people on medicaid. Most of them have to fight for everything they get which usually isn't much. Are you going to be giving this book away for free as someone has mentioned? If your true goal is to educate people on the subject and not profit financially from your accident then I would think that would be your goal to pass it out to as many people that would read it, not charge people. And as you mention in your blog, which is only a way to publicize your book, you receive 80 hours a week in assistant care. If you think about it you sleep about 56 hours a week, 80 hours a week with an assistant leaves you with 32 hours a week that you are actually taking care of yourself. In your blog you seem to be happy and almost bragging that you don't have to do things like house hold chores. These are things that you are capable of doing but you choose not to do. Remember everything is a choice. I do not discredit you for having to overcome a serious obstacle, but it does not stop there. If you want to know why I am so upset it is because I am a paraplegic and you give us all a bad name. I was paralyzed years ago out here in California, I overcame my accident and then kept going. Not to publicize my accident but to move forward. You say you are moving forward but focusing your life on your accident and the bipolar disorder that caused it isn't moving forward it's being stuck back in the same spot from your accident. Honestly if you have only been paralyzed for 2 years, you really don't know what it's like yet. My accident was my fault, but I took responsibility for it even though I was not in my right state of mind and yes I spent time in for about the same thing you did jail as well as my years in what you call "prison" of being trapped in your own body. I do not write this to be mean, but you have much of the real world to experience before you start speaking about it, especially speaking for a living about it. I hope you eventually learn how to take care of yourself and learn a little more about your disability before you talk about it. And please for the love of god stop making the rest of us look bad.
You like it both ways

Phoenix, AZ

#66 May 30, 2013
Also attacking them years after the fact. You seem more like you want people to see you as a victim. None of the recent legitimate post say they want you in jail or hurt more. They simply do not want you to publish a book trying to purposely hurt and entire town. That's not right especially since you are no victim to anyone , but yourself. I'm sorry if that sounds hard, but it's the truth and you've said it yourself Adam.

As for not profiting and getting to live off the gov. It's nice to see the gov can afford to keep you with the latest iPhone and tech and sweet nikes, name brand clothing and vacas. I didn't know the gov was so lucrative and I find it curious that most of the people on disability do not live such a happy carefree life that you really to seem to enjoy showing off.

I am not from rushville, but rather was born in the east coast and being raised mostly out west. So it is not only the people of rushville. Think of how many more upset people there will be once you take this on national news as you said. How many other people do you think will find it appalling to bash a town that you crashed into and then left. To speak of things that you could not yet know.

In your last comment here Adam you said that you would say nothing else and let your actions speak for themselves. Well your actions were to AFTER making this comment go and keep writing blogs about it and further trying to make yourself a victim of the town. So I guess your actions were go back on your word and continue. A man is only as good as his word. Yours doesn't seem to be worth much in this regard.

Mr. Dissappointed. Your comment was wonderfull and I wish you the best of luck in your future.

-Yous all need church.
Emily M.
Story Unfolding

Stow, OH

#68 May 31, 2013
I have a hard time imagining that this young man Adam truly blames the entire town of Rushville even though he said he did. Like many of his critics, in a weak moment, he may have posted words that he might regret later while he didn’t realize the consequences of it. How many of his critics have never said words they didn’t later regret? Adam’s family, as supportive as they are now, may not have been so while he was growing up. We don’t know. We can’t know. Despite the apparent support now, we just don’t know his family background, or what he faced at home when he was growing up. His mother says,“I will be forever grateful for the thousands of people who have sent words of support.” Maybe. Then again, maybe not. Words of support are easy to come by. Maybe she already forgot those who really helped her son, or worse. Then again, maybe she’ll pay acts of unselfish kindness toward her son and family back, or pay them forward. Maybe they will make a positive difference in someone else’s life too. We just don’t know because this story is in the making, and it just needs time to unfold. What we do know is this: we let people go free who are convicted of crimes far worse than Adam committed in Rushville. The “what if’s” and “should have’s” can and will always continue and they're a critic's distraction from his own failures. Each of us has our own acts of omissions and commissions that might’ve been live changing for others. If we’re honest, we will consider them before criticizing others. Adam appears to be trying to give back now, and his family appears to be supportive and grateful for this chance which was largely provided by other caring people like the police and friends. Only time will be the true judge if they are really grateful for this chance and the goodness of others who actually took risks for Adam like the police. Beyond that, we pay good money to people every day to do things like make crappy movies, allow us to peek into their trivial, grotesque “reality” life programs on television, or write books about their own crimes which were far worse than Adam’s. If young Adam makes a profit from people who are willing to buy his book, isn’t that better than living on benefits paid for by taxes from our hard earned incomes anyway?
Kate

Columbus, OH

#69 Jun 4, 2013
Ok. So I have a few things to say.

#1. There are some valid points stated here. I don't blame Rushville for being pissed about what happened 2 years ago. BUT, I do agree that many of the residents/online-observers have displayed an overwhelming insensitivity about the situation and were EXTREMELY quick to judge.

#2. Bipolar disorder. Do you people REALLY know what this is? I feel like a lot of people don't know anything about this. Sure, many of you have heard of it and think you know what it is. Mood swings, right? That's all I thought it was until I met Adam. There are levels of severity. Adam was at the highest level.

So let's take a look at what a manic episode really is.
This explanation of a manic episode was Adam the day of the accident. Spot on.

-Mania is the defining feature of bipolar disorder.
It is a distinct period of elevated or irritable mood, which can take the form of euphoria, and lasts for at least a week (less if hospitalization is required)

-People with mania commonly experience an increase in energy and a decreased need for sleep, with many often getting as little as three or four hours of sleep per night. Some can go days without sleeping.

-A manic person may exhibit pressured speech, with thoughts experienced as racing. Attention span is low, and a person in a manic state may be easily distracted

-Judgment may be impaired, and sufferers may go on spending sprees or engage in RISKY behavior that is not normal for them

-They may indulge in substance abuse, particularly alcohol or other depressants, cocaine or other stimulants, or sleeping pills.

-Their behavior may become aggressive, intolerant, or intrusive.

-They may feel out of control or unstoppable, or as if they have been "chosen" and are "on a special mission", or have other grandiose or delusional ideas. Sexual drive may increase.

-At more extreme levels, a person in a manic state can experience psychosis, or a break with reality, where thinking is affected along with mood. This can occasionally lead to violent behaviors.

-Some people in a manic state experience severe anxiety and are irritable (to the point of rage), while others are euphoric and grandiose. "

So, real quick, were any of you surprised to read this? I know I was when I started taking care of Adam a year ago. I had no idea that bipolar disorder could be so debilitating. The fact of the matter is, it's a mental disorder. Med's are crucial. I don't believe adam knew he depended on those med's to be stable as much as he did. Sometimes when you've been on med's for a while and you feel alright, you wonder if you actually even need them. He found out the hard way.

#3. This is a message to the poster "Disappointed"
You live in California huh? I have a feeling that you're closer than you say, considering the post says Columbus, OH. You probably even know Adam. Maybe you even live a few doors down. I'm sorry you feel this way. Maybe you should talk to him about it instead of anonymously posting online about it. Just sayin.

ANYWAY...
The truth is, Adam does live a pretty nice life with nice things and friends that would do anything for him. But that's because he has a strong will to live a fun and fulfilling life and doesn't let his disability bring him down. He wants to actually do something. He's a breath of fresh air in a world full of toxicity. That's why people are drawn to him. That's why he has so many good friends. and that's why he'll go far in life.
Little Miss Can't B Wrong

Indianapolis, IN

#70 Jun 4, 2013
Kate, would you really give a shit what bi-polar was if he had hit your kid speeding down a residential street?He was lucky he didn't hurt anyone but himself.That doesn't mean people can't be upset that he put their family in danger.Guaranteed if he had hurt or killed my child,he wouldn't have had to worry about spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair because he wouldn't have lived at all afterward.
deos angelus

United States

#71 Jun 4, 2013
[QUOTE who="Little Miss Can't B Wrong"]Kate, would you really give a shit what bi-polar was if he had hit your kid speeding down a residential street?He was lucky he didn't hurt anyone but himself.That doesn't mean people can't be upset that he put their family in danger.Guaranteed if he had hurt or killed my child,he wouldn't have had to worry about spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair because he wouldn't have lived at all afterward.[/QUOTE]

The bitterness and hatred you spew like poison I'm sure isn't just directed just to this young man who did not hurt anyone but himself, but the way you are thriving on it means you must live your life this way. I suggest to you that there is a better way than to live with "what if's" also to wish him well on his journey as it seems he is doing far more than even any drunk driver who's killed someone. If you truly want to live a bitter life find a reason to be that way and focus it in a way that can make meaningful changes. Otherwise you will just raise your child to only know that way as well. 2 years later is the real story... He is more than paying for what he did, what would you say is fair his life? For what? Being off his medication and not hurting anyone else? Who are you to be so judgemental? I think it's very safe to say you need to challenge your moral code and mistakes before you want to jump on a bandwagon of playing God and rewriting history for what ifs.... I hope you are just young and immature for your comments because anyone with any years behind them understand that mistakes are made by everyone, next time it could very well be you being discussed on Topix. Karma bites nice, hard and quick to those who deserve it.
Being a good person doesn't take anything more than some morals, compassion, empathy and most of all a smile to those who really need it. You get to choose what kind of person you want to be in this world. Rise to the occasion...
Nathan Thomas

Indianapolis, IN

#72 Jun 4, 2013
How can you tell the difference between a mental illness and a sh!tbag disorder?
Little Miss Can't B Wrong

New Albany, IN

#73 Jun 5, 2013
deos angelus wrote:
[QUOTE who="Little Miss Can't B Wrong"]Kate, would you really give a shit what bi-polar was if he had hit your kid speeding down a residential street?He was lucky he didn't hurt anyone but himself.That doesn't mean people can't be upset that he put their family in danger.Guaranteed if he had hurt or killed my child,he wouldn't have had to worry about spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair because he wouldn't have lived at all afterward."

The bitterness and hatred you spew like poison I'm sure isn't just directed just to this young man who did not hurt anyone but himself, but the way you are thriving on it means you must live your life this way. I suggest to you that there is a better way than to live with "what if's" also to wish him well on his journey as it seems he is doing far more than even any drunk driver who's killed someone. If you truly want to live a bitter life find a reason to be that way and focus it in a way that can make meaningful changes. Otherwise you will just raise your child to only know that way as well. 2 years later is the real story... He is more than paying for what he did, what would you say is fair his life? For what? Being off his medication and not hurting anyone else? Who are you to be so judgemental? I think it's very safe to say you need to challenge your moral code and mistakes before you want to jump on a bandwagon of playing God and rewriting history for what ifs.... I hope you are just young and immature for your comments because anyone with any years behind them understand that mistakes are made by everyone, next time it could very well be you being discussed on Topix. Karma bites nice, hard and quick to those who deserve it.
Being a good person doesn't take anything more than some morals, compassion, empathy and most of all a smile to those who really need it. You get to choose what kind of person you want to be in this world. Rise to the occasion...
Just because I think this guy is a shitbag doesn't mean I treat everyone that way. Actions have consequences. He made bad decisions and got a bad consequence. That's what life is. Choices and consequences. Can't play the pity card for a bad decision. But sometimes bad decisions also affect others and he is lucky his didn't. I am not bitter, I just have a very strong opinion of people who do stupid things that put others in danger. Whether it be going off mess or drinking and driving or doing drugs and driving. He has been punished for what he did so fine but don't expect a pity party and trash talk a town that didn't ask for you to crash her while making a bad decision.
Seymour

Indianapolis, IN

#74 Jun 18, 2013
Kate, there are obviously many disorders both physical and mental and various methods for treatment. But the fact is, the average citizen isn't trained or educated to deal with such disorders and parents, while they mean well by getting guardianship are betting on the maturity clock, which might work but often fails. They also must be aware that they are fully responsible civilly for any unforeseen damages or suits. Something that could easily wreck someone's retirement plan. Someone who suffers from a disability that can cause violence against society MUST be either institutionalized or provided the necessary care (medicines) that they need. I have strongly advocated that government invest heavily in mental health and stop avoiding the issue. It's only going to get worse without serious government inclusion in the problem.
Debbie

Columbus, OH

#75 Dec 2, 2013
Just read this article in (614) Magazine about Adam. Thought you all might find this to be interesting.

http://614columbus.com/article/not-jesus-afte...
Andy

Columbus, IN

#76 Dec 2, 2013
Debbie wrote:
Just read this article in (614) Magazine about Adam. Thought you all might find this to be interesting.
Who..... Cares.....!
SUE

Liberty, IN

#77 Dec 3, 2013
Debbie wrote:
Wonderful story about his life ! Thank you for sharing it ..
Jeffkoe

Columbus, OH

#79 Feb 19, 2014
Adam Helbling wrote:
I am truly sorry that I drove so fast through your city. People make mistakes but you have no idea what it's like living with bipolar disorder. I took my medications for over 2 years straight without missing a day. I was afraid of what would happen if I had my second manic episode. I was told that my medications were linked to diabetes so I got scared and went off of them for 5 days. I'm not perfect but how many people have you met with something like depression that go on and off their meds? I'm sorry I was afraid because my feet were going numb and I was afraid that I had diabetes. I never in my right mind would drive that fast. Learn the facts about bipolar disorder. I now speak and raise awareness about it and explain the importance of staying in your meds. This way I can prevent something like what happened to me. I never meant to harm anyone and I did not so stop with the what ifs. I suffered the most harm and now I am paying it forward to society. As for money, I have not charged a dollar for the 40 or so speeches that I have given. I can't believe you would say that I am happy to be paralyzed to be able to profit off my story. I live off Medicaid and social security and disability. I would trade anything not to be paralyzed. A spinal cord injury is the most traumatic injury someone can experience. Yeah... I love that I can't get myself in and out of bed. I love using catheters every 4 hours to go to the bathroom. I love that I will never waterski or walk again. If you're wishing that I was in jail then you got your wish. I am trapped in my own body. I wish I would have gone to jail instead if this. I am just happy I did not hurt anyone. That was the first question I wrote down to ask my family when I had a breathing tube down my throat. I loved spending 3 1/2 months in the hospital. I really enjoyed doing over 1,000 hours of therapy just to find out I will never walk again.
I have learned from my mistakes and now I educate others to make sure it never happens again. I live life to the fullest and try to look back on my accident as a way of starting over. I wished harm on no one. I did harm to no one but myself. I got what I deserved and way more. Leave me alone!'Yous all need church'? Sir, I think you need school. You are all so insensitive! I'm sorry I broke the law. I guess you're just not happy that I didn't suffer enough. I was only 24. I made some bad decisions when I was in a state of mind that I could not control. In 26 now and I know more about life than you will ever know. As for church... I'm closer to God than ever. He saved me for a reason. I pray to him every night to help me make a difference in this world and I know that I am. I'll keep doing my thing and no matter what you say about me you don't know me! I'm sorry that I'm not the meth head that you all thought I was.
I'm not going to judge you. I certainly am not perfect either, and I'd consider myself hypocritical if I started throwing stones. I wish you the best in your quest to help others. God Bless.
Virginia native

Fairfax, VA

#80 Feb 25, 2014
wondering wrote:
Wonder if this kid had insurance and how much the hospital bill was.
Did he ever get the bill paid?
OMG, is money worth more than a human life? May God have mercy on you.
Virginia native

Fairfax, VA

#81 Feb 25, 2014
wondering wrote:
Wonder if this kid had insurance and how much the hospital bill was.
Did he ever get the bill paid?
OMG, is money worth more than a life? May God have mercy on you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Section 8 is gereat for minorities 3 hr Duh Ralph 2
does pepsi drug test? which type? 16 hr MrPot_Head 11
Del Taco eyes Indianapolis for 16 stores (Sep '07) 16 hr roygerbil 159
Adult Nursing Relationship In Indianapolis/Plai... (Oct '12) 18 hr rolls 2
brandy stacy love is a drug junkie slut kid abu... 22 hr Leroy Brown 4
Jim Irsay DUI arrest video is released Mon BEARS FAN 1
Marriage Legal in Indiana Mon Chuckie 36
Indianapolis Dating
Find my Match

Indianapolis Jobs