City to pay fire captain $350,000 to settle suit

The city will pay a female fire captain $350,000 to settle a lawsuit claiming she endured taunts and unfair discipline and was wrongly passed over for promotions in the male-dominated Fire Department, a city ... Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Honest Abe

Indianapolis, IN

#155 Oct 10, 2007
Solve these problems by going to 8 hour shifts, sounds like you all get cranky after working 24's.
A Fireman

New Lenox, IL

#156 Oct 10, 2007
That would be great. Except based on a 40 hour work week instead of 3 shifts it would take 4 shifts and there would still be 8 hours a week uncovered. [(7x24/3)=168/3=4.2] This would cause either hiring an entire shift or paying time and a half for someone to work the other 48 hours every week. With taxes being a campaign issue with the politicians neither would be very popular. But I for one would love it. Bring it on.
Defender of Decency

United States

#157 Oct 10, 2007
Yeah, I'm sure you are really eager to stop getting paid for sleeping most of the day away in a recliner. Don't get your sweatpants all in a knot, I'm just giving you a hard time.
A Fireman

New Lenox, IL

#158 Oct 10, 2007
Defender of Decency wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure you are really eager to stop getting paid for sleeping most of the day away in a recliner. Don't get your sweatpants all in a knot, I'm just giving you a hard time.
As I said bring it on. I'd love the OT money.

What gives you the impression I wear sweatpants? That is stereotyping. That is very insensitive and I am offended.
Defender of Decency

United States

#159 Oct 10, 2007
Well, you call yourself a fireman, and I'm offended. What about women? No, the proper term here is firefighter. And you accuse ME of stereotyping? Sheesh. Tell me this, how many official fire department pairs of sweat shirts and sweat pants have you been issued? Honestly now.
A Fireman

New Lenox, IL

#160 Oct 11, 2007
Defender of Decency wrote:
Well, you call yourself a fireman, and I'm offended. What about women? No, the proper term here is firefighter. And you accuse ME of stereotyping? Sheesh. Tell me this, how many official fire department pairs of sweat shirts and sweat pants have you been issued? Honestly now.
I have one pair of sweatpants and two sweatshirts. Everytime the powers to be change logos I get issued another round. Are you simply jealous of what other people wear at work?

And always remember most sensitive person wins the most offended wars.

The article starting this thread has a gay, female and over 40 person who finished 16th out of 17 on a promotion list. She has three levels of sensitivity and she won. She used each and every one of these cards. IFD is undergoing another promotion process and changed the weights of each scored area so she can potentially finish higher.

If I were you I would be more concerned about the quality of those being promoted rather than the apparel.
Honest Abe

Indianapolis, IN

#161 Oct 11, 2007
If Monroe Gray lost is liason job, they could afford to hire a couple of more Firefighters.

Since: Mar 07

Peoria, IL

#162 Oct 11, 2007
Honest Abe wrote:
If Monroe Gray lost is liason job, they could afford to hire a couple of more Firefighters.
No they could hire, maybe one. Firefighters cost about $100k each per year, by the time you figure in salary, insurance, PERF, etc.
Honest Abe

Indianapolis, IN

#163 Oct 11, 2007
One is better than none. At least they would be doing more then Monroe Gray at $80,000 a year.
J Bizowner

New Lenox, IL

#164 Oct 11, 2007
FTFDFIREMAN wrote:
<quoted text>
No they could hire, maybe one. Firefighters cost about $100k each per year, by the time you figure in salary, insurance, PERF, etc.
And we are going to SAVE money by consolidating FDs and raising every firefighters salary and benefit package to that of IFD? How much will it cost to raise the FTFD firefighters salaries alone to IFD's pay scale? And is FTFD staffed on trucks the same as IFD or will IFD be required to hire more people to get your department up to IFD's "standard"?

Since: Mar 07

Indianapolis, IN

#165 Oct 11, 2007
J Bizowner wrote:
<quoted text>
And we are going to SAVE money by consolidating FDs and raising every firefighters salary and benefit package to that of IFD? How much will it cost to raise the FTFD firefighters salaries alone to IFD's pay scale? And is FTFD staffed on trucks the same as IFD or will IFD be required to hire more people to get your department up to IFD's "standard"?
Well to start with you will be cutting the salaries of 7 staff officers back down to firefighter pay. Take the maintenance and cost of their take home vehicles out and how much is that? Those 7 will come back to the street to help us meet the NFPA's standard for safety of numbers not IFD's. Since firehouses are going to be closing in a consolidated department those personnel can be moved around to fill in the empty spots. Ambulances will become part of the Health and Hospital corp. So that will free up even more people that are currently firefighters riding ambulances to goto fire apparatus. The savings on benefits should actually go down. The cost of insurance will be cheaper as the larger your group is the smaller your premium is. IFD does not pay into social insecurity, so the amount of money saved there will be huge, for both the firefighters and the city. If I missed something let me know. I've got more answers.
J Bizowner

New Lenox, IL

#166 Oct 11, 2007
FTFDFIREMAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Well to start with you will be cutting the salaries of 7 staff officers back down to firefighter pay. Take the maintenance and cost of their take home vehicles out and how much is that? Those 7 will come back to the street to help us meet the NFPA's standard for safety of numbers not IFD's. Since firehouses are going to be closing in a consolidated department those personnel can be moved around to fill in the empty spots. Ambulances will become part of the Health and Hospital corp. So that will free up even more people that are currently firefighters riding ambulances to goto fire apparatus. The savings on benefits should actually go down. The cost of insurance will be cheaper as the larger your group is the smaller your premium is. IFD does not pay into social insecurity, so the amount of money saved there will be huge, for both the firefighters and the city. If I missed something let me know. I've got more answers.
1. How much money will be saved by taking you office people and putting them back to their regular rank?

2. How much will it cost to bring ALL of you people up to IFDs pay scale?

3. What fire stations are closing? I don't want the one that is a reasonable distance from my house to close.

4. What would be saved by social insecurity and how much would go to a higher retirement rate that IFD has?

5. Do you honestly think the cars you currently have are going to be sold? I would suspect someone else will get them and there will still be upkeep and fuel costs.

6. I already pay for ambulance services through my property taxes. Why would we have firemen on them when we already pay Wishard for them?

I have mny questions about the"savings" of consolidation.
ts baby

Crawfordsville, IN

#168 Jan 26, 2014
My name is Brandy and I am Teresa's youngest daughter. I was 11 years old when all of this happened. I can tell you that I still remember everything that happened to her and I remember the men's faces that did it! My mother trained extensively for her tests. Physically and Mentally she was prepared for the training they set before her. Those men touchex my mother inappropriately and they did more then once. They tied my mother to a recliner with her own shirt so they could touch her whereever they wanted. They picked her up in the middle of the night and threw her down the fire pole as my mother was falling she awoke to find herself falling head first into the concrete floor. She grabbed the pole and as she did the force of the fall tore her nails completely off down to the meat. These " so called" men put inappropriate magazines all over her bunk for her children to see. Made lude gestures towards my mother right infront of me and my older sister.
My mother had done nothing wrong to these men. All she was trying to do was provide for her children and do what she was passionate about. Saving lives and taking care of her family. So please, if you do not know my mother or the terrible situation she went through. Please do not pass judgement and have a open mind because you would be surprised what you dont truly know about the people around you.
Teresa Ann Sterner is a Hero and should be remembered as such. I Love You Mom! A true survivor and phenomenal woman.....
Brandy E. Walker
A woman firefighters daughter
Sam

Indianapolis, IN

#169 Jan 27, 2014
Who????
ts baby wrote:
My name is Brandy and I am Teresa's youngest daughter. I was 11 years old when all of this happened. I can tell you that I still remember everything that happened to her and I remember the men's faces that did it! My mother trained extensively for her tests. Physically and Mentally she was prepared for the training they set before her. Those men touchex my mother inappropriately and they did more then once. They tied my mother to a recliner with her own shirt so they could touch her whereever they wanted. They picked her up in the middle of the night and threw her down the fire pole as my mother was falling she awoke to find herself falling head first into the concrete floor. She grabbed the pole and as she did the force of the fall tore her nails completely off down to the meat. These " so called" men put inappropriate magazines all over her bunk for her children to see. Made lude gestures towards my mother right infront of me and my older sister.
My mother had done nothing wrong to these men. All she was trying to do was provide for her children and do what she was passionate about. Saving lives and taking care of her family. So please, if you do not know my mother or the terrible situation she went through. Please do not pass judgement and have a open mind because you would be surprised what you dont truly know about the people around you.
Teresa Ann Sterner is a Hero and should be remembered as such. I Love You Mom! A true survivor and phenomenal woman.....
Brandy E. Walker
A woman firefighters daughter

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
does pepsi drug test? which type? 7 hr MrPot_Head 11
Del Taco eyes Indianapolis for 16 stores (Sep '07) 7 hr roygerbil 159
Adult Nursing Relationship In Indianapolis/Plai... (Oct '12) 9 hr rolls 2
Section 8 is gereat for minorities 12 hr Blackology 1
brandy stacy love is a drug junkie slut kid abu... 13 hr Leroy Brown 4
Jim Irsay DUI arrest video is released 17 hr BEARS FAN 1
Marriage Legal in Indiana 17 hr Chuckie 36
Indianapolis Dating
Find my Match

Indianapolis Jobs