City to pay fire captain $350,000 to settle suit

The city will pay a female fire captain $350,000 to settle a lawsuit claiming she endured taunts and unfair discipline and was wrongly passed over for promotions in the male-dominated Fire Department, a city ... Full Story
fyreman

Indianapolis, IN

#134 Sep 8, 2007
If you are in the house that hired you, then shame on you for stabing your brothers and sisters in the back. If you are soo good that you are able to pick fault and have never made a mistake in your career than good for you, but I seriously doubt you are as good as you think you are. There is alot more to being a good medic than just patient care, there is being humble, there is helping a paramedic that may not be as proficient as you expect them to be, and there is a good bedside manner. I was a medic well before I came here, and I have been a medic for well over 20 years. I have seen some of the worst patient care and bedside manner in IEMS than anywhere else I have ever worked. I also agree that there are some better that others. The bottom line is if you are better that everyone else TEACH, if you are not, don't cast stones. Remeber the whole Glass House saying. We have enough problems in this World, if you don't like where you work or who for...change it! QUIT! Nobody wants you or your over inflated EGO anyway. I am quite sure your abilities are outweighed by your EGO.
fyreman

Indianapolis, IN

#135 Sep 8, 2007
The Medic, you are my HERO.....You must be soo full of your self. Pretty soon we will all be one and you willbe bashing yourself. Oh and working for us.... Yeah thats right FIREFIGHTERS>>> Everyone has faults and I am confident you have plenty. It will all come out and you will be on the other end of the scrutiny. You are probably just jealous because you tried and did not have what it takes to be a Fireman. Too good I guess, who wouldnt want to yank a cot around for 40,000 instead of being part of a BIG Family making 60-70,000. Good Choice The Medic. I am sure you are one of the physically fit Wishard Paramedics, or some of the excellent WMH Supervisors with no time as medic but is a Great Paramedic because he is up a certain Medical Directors Arse.... hmmm once again Wishard keep throwing those stones from a glass house.
tom

AOL

#136 Sep 8, 2007
fyreman wrote:
<quoted text>
You idiot. You obviously are a clownship firefighter...this happens everywhere. It is not a IFD isolated incident. You obviously belong in the townships if you cannot read the rest of the lawsuits filed for discrimination..... stay where you belong and leave the real firefighting to us...fry some fish volly
You should not be looking in the mirror when you're yelling idiot. Leave the real firefighting to us? Are you a real fireman? By your diatribe it is doubtful. First of all fire is fire, it does not change from paid to volunteer. Second is the state of Indiana requires the same training for all firefighters. Third, just because one is a member of the largest fire department in the state does not make one "better" than smaller fire depts. around the state. Since you think so poorly of volunteer depts., It might help you to know they where must more advanced than what IFD has been. They had the first ambulance service, Wayne twp. had a hurst tool 10 years before IFD did in 1975. They ordered ladder trucks with pumper capability while IFD still has one diminsional ladders that can't fight fires on their own. The best fire equipment with the latest technology has always been in the townships. IFD takes the lowest bids, Dollar General fire trucks.
I'm retired from the fire service and your young and dumb with a F in fire history but the one thing I know is a real firefighter will respect all firefighters and medics from all departments and not act like a 2 year old, so grow up.
fyreman

Indianapolis, IN

#137 Sep 8, 2007
Hey Tom....go fry some fish and stay in your little volunteer fire department Nursing home and enjoy your little blue light buddies. Also you might want to take an English class or maybe even grammar. That probably was not a requirement to be a vollie, but it is a requirement to be a professional. Wayne Township was one of the biggest waste of Tax Payer dollars in the State. A bunch of Dick Lamb wanna be vollies that lived in the Firestations because that was the only place to get a bath and free meal. Half of them lived there because it was better than their mobile homes in Mars Hill. Buying all the fancy equipment is easy with one of the largest fire budgets in the state and NO Professional Fireman, it takes money to pay fireman and idiots to buy fancy equipment and not have any manpower during the day to respond. IFD had to respond to your little vollieville area all the time to put your fires out because all your top brass was working at McDonalds and Burger King. Maybe they were even at Ben Davis trying to pass 10th grade for the 5th time. Good luck with that type of history. IFD has had a very diverse department for over 150 years. Not a bunch of hillbilly trash driving around with blue lights, and living at the firehouses. PROFESSIONALS can ya spell it???
Real Medic

AOL

#138 Sep 8, 2007
fyreman wrote:
The Medic, you are my HERO.....You must be soo full of your self. Pretty soon we will all be one and you willbe bashing yourself. Oh and working for us.... Yeah thats right FIREFIGHTERS>>> Everyone has faults and I am confident you have plenty. It will all come out and you will be on the other end of the scrutiny. You are probably just jealous because you tried and did not have what it takes to be a Fireman. Too good I guess, who wouldnt want to yank a cot around for 40,000 instead of being part of a BIG Family making 60-70,000. Good Choice The Medic. I am sure you are one of the physically fit Wishard Paramedics, or some of the excellent WMH Supervisors with no time as medic but is a Great Paramedic because he is up a certain Medical Directors Arse.... hmmm once again Wishard keep throwing those stones from a glass house.
I am an IFD FF/Medic, and I never said that I was that great, but if you are too stupid to admit that we, as a department, suck at EMS, you are the lost one. There are too many who do it only for the raise. Tell me I am wrong. 10 years ago when I started, I thought it was all about fire, then I discovered what we really do. For every working fire, I probably respond to 60-100 EMS runs. If all you are worried about is your prescious $$ than you as bad as most of our medics. I work hard to keep my skills up, even going as far as doing a few shifts in a local ER on my off days. If anyone wants to learn, I am more than willing to work with them, but it seems everyone in my house has the same attitude as you. No one wants to admit we have a problem, so nothing will ever get fixed. When this happens, who suffers? The public we are there to serve. Remember them, they are the reason we are here. I have seen nothing from you on this topic but a lot of bravado and big talk. You have slammed me, other departments, volunteers, wishard, and the medical directors; you have made excuses and threats but you haven't addressed the real problem. When you are mentally incapable of staying on point, you really should'nt argue, you get distracted to easily. Yeah, we are "all that" as a department; heavy run load, and lots of fire. We are agressive, trained, and willing; unless we are talking EMS. Some day that may come back to bite us in the butt. Maybe you should worry less about the 60-70K you are making and worry more about the service you are providing the community who pays it. By the way, with OT and Rank, I made 90 + last year. Pick it up loser. As far as the family part, we are a family, a fire family. They rank up there with my blood relatives, but I dont make excuses for my aunt who can't drive, my brother who is an alcoholic, my sister with a vocabulary like a drunken sailor, or my dad who gets lost if he leaves the East side. I also won't make excuses for those I spent 1/3 of my life with who are too complacent or lazy to do what they are paid to do. Hey fyreman, it is just like being an alcoholic, admitting there is a problem is the first step. You are still in denial my brother, but that doesn't mean I love you any less. Just try to be a little less negative bro. Yelling about others won't make our problems go away. It takes us to do that.
tom

AOL

#139 Sep 8, 2007
fyreman wrote:
Hey Tom....go fry some fish and stay in your little volunteer fire department Nursing home and enjoy your little blue light buddies. Also you might want to take an English class or maybe even grammar. That probably was not a requirement to be a vollie, but it is a requirement to be a professional. Wayne Township was one of the biggest waste of Tax Payer dollars in the State. A bunch of Dick Lamb wanna be vollies that lived in the Firestations because that was the only place to get a bath and free meal. Half of them lived there because it was better than their mobile homes in Mars Hill. Buying all the fancy equipment is easy with one of the largest fire budgets in the state and NO Professional Fireman, it takes money to pay fireman and idiots to buy fancy equipment and not have any manpower during the day to respond. IFD had to respond to your little vollieville area all the time to put your fires out because all your top brass was working at McDonalds and Burger King. Maybe they were even at Ben Davis trying to pass 10th grade for the 5th time. Good luck with that type of history. IFD has had a very diverse department for over 150 years. Not a bunch of hillbilly trash driving around with blue lights, and living at the firehouses. PROFESSIONALS can ya spell it???
OUCH! What mean little boy, now get off your daddies pc. Can you spell fireman? It does not have a "y" in it, Professionals? Can you be it? No, not you,ignorant yes. And by the way wanna be, you will never be an Indianapolis firefighter, the ex-volunteer firefighters from Wayne ,Warren, and Pike twps. that are officers in IFD won't put up with a immature probie like you. Practice hose cleaning and badge polishing, it's your only hope.
Women in the firehouse

Westfield, IN

#140 Sep 9, 2007
This is pathetic. Totally and absolutely pathetic. No wonder everyone is a mess!
Do any of you have any idea how unprofessional this looks to the public and to the rest of our brothers and sisters? Do you even care? Apparently not.
What a sad day for our profession. What really gets me is a wife stating that the only females ina firehouse are either whores or dykes. Get me a break! I am neither. Just keep thinking that honey. Apparently your marriage isn't that great for you to have that attitude. I guess you know as much as your husband tells you.
Hired not Aquired

New Lenox, IL

#141 Sep 9, 2007
PEOPLE - PEOPLE stop the tension.

The townships will save our pension.
Jackson

Bentonville, IN

#142 Sep 9, 2007
Anyone remember the Captain who just got $350,000. Isn't this how it all got started. Choose your battles. Anybody remember the days when we actually sat down with someone we had a problem with and tried to work it out. It's funny we have all these tough Medics and firefighters who sit miles away and ramble on. Get it together guys we all work for IFD now. LIKE IT OR NOT
Kidnapped

AOL

#143 Sep 9, 2007
Honey, this all is just a typical day around the dinner table.....
I'm glad people can vent on this chat, if said in the firehouse, there is always a "Rat" trying to earn points by letting it leak to HQ.
plugcatcher

Chicago, IL

#144 Sep 9, 2007
Real Medic wrote:
<quoted text>
Duh...that is exactly what I said. IFD will be taking over Wishard. Try it again stupid!
Hey Real Medic, I have worked for IFD in busy companies for more than 10 years and am definitely not stupid. I misread your comment is the only crime I have committed. Please tell us all which service or department you are employed by currently? I am definitely proud of my place of employment despite those who try to bad mouth us, because we both know IFD has far more positives than negatives.
plugcatcher

Chicago, IL

#145 Sep 9, 2007
Fire Medic, I just read where you said you work and I believe you. If you hate it so bad, why don't you quit and go work in the ER full time? I'm sure you'd be happy with all the money you'd make and not have to put up with "idiots" like me 1/3 of the rest of your career. See you at the 9/11 memorial, or will youu be too busy pulling in overtime? I'm done responding so let 'er rip. I'll let my actions onn the street speak for themselves.
NoblesvilleObser ver

Princeton, IN

#146 Sep 9, 2007
Wow. You guys are degrading yourselves big time by airing your dirty laundry in this manner. Do something about it, but throwing barbs at each other behind fancy screen names is cowardly.

Since: Mar 07

Peoria, IL

#147 Sep 9, 2007
just reading
Indy Fire

Burlington, KY

#148 Sep 10, 2007
fyreman wrote:
I think I agree with the rest of you, this moron is making us all look stupid, I'm on IFD and have Township friends, along with Wishard friends and my IFD Brothers and Sisters. He's quick to degrade the Township Firefighters, many of which are very professional and could run circles around this dipweed, And we have as many professional's as well, along with IFD medics, Wishard and others. How about you take your own advice about the "glass house" thing and go clean a toilet while the rest of us work together to get the job done. I'm proud of where I work and your making the rest of us look stupid.
What a croc

San Francisco, CA

#149 Sep 10, 2007
Van Sant was a great firefighter, old school. A real Hero. If he didn't think this woman was a good firefighter, then that is that. Too bad he got jammed up by her.

A real firefighter has trouble understanding the politician firefighters. Always has been that way. The real firefighter wants them gone. In the old days, maybe you could deal with it, Put all the goofs together in the boonies.

Make the goof a woman, and a politician with lawyers, well, a squared away real FF is going to struggle with that.
postpostpost

New Lenox, IL

#150 Sep 10, 2007
Word on the street has the IFDs Chief and Operation Chief resigning over this. I'm sure this will be kept quiet until after the election.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
I know you Former M10D

Indianapolis, IN

#152 Sep 11, 2007
The medic wrote:
<quoted text>
The females under 30 in that department are afraid of retalliation and the male officers have been in charge EVERY time someone has been killed in a training accident. The one good thing about females on the department is that they tend to be better paramedics than the men will ever be.
Sounds to me like you are on the outside (OF THE DEPT)looking in, wishing you could play. You are letting this become an issue of gender, not competency. Once again, a lack of direction matched with a lack of discretion has placed you behind the eight-ball. Maybe you should review the facts before commenting. Interesting concept.....
Station 31 in the House

Indianapolis, IN

#153 Sep 11, 2007
Bingo wrote:
<quoted text>
If you see a big red truck with 31 on the side......RUN! It's Gary. Sorry Ike, nothing but love for you brother but.....damn they hit it on the head!!
wow Grover and Bingo, you seem to know all about Gary's skills and stuff. have you had that many runs with him where's he's actually hurt a patient or were you two too busy sucking on SOUR GRAPES to notice. I work with him and know that he takes EMS very seriously (sometime a little overboard with it!!) I would rather have him than someone who gets into this petty name-calling and cowardly back-stabbing anyday!!
Jake Crawford

United States

#154 Oct 10, 2007
This is the product of using public service as the boiling pot for social experimentation. Women are held to different (lesser) physical standards than are men in the fire service. The idea that a female with a college degree is more suited for employment than a male without one is the dangerous slope that has been traveled.
The real danger is to the tax paying public, who only see what the media shows them, unless the emergency is at their doorstep. Political correctness has a history of fostering actual tragedy, Rasmussen being a prime example. She should have been prosecuted and terminated instead of promoted and rewarded with cash.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
does pepsi drug test? which type? 5 hr MrPot_Head 11
Del Taco eyes Indianapolis for 16 stores (Sep '07) 6 hr roygerbil 159
Adult Nursing Relationship In Indianapolis/Plai... (Oct '12) 7 hr rolls 2
Section 8 is gereat for minorities 11 hr Blackology 1
brandy stacy love is a drug junkie slut kid abu... 11 hr Leroy Brown 4
Jim Irsay DUI arrest video is released 15 hr BEARS FAN 1
Marriage Legal in Indiana 15 hr Chuckie 36
Indianapolis Dating
Find my Match

Indianapolis Jobs