City to pay fire captain $350,000 to settle suit

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

The city will pay a female fire captain $350,000 to settle a lawsuit claiming she endured taunts and unfair discipline and was wrongly passed over for promotions in the male-dominated Fire Department, a city ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of154
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
tom

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

When I was a volunteer firemen we needed all the help we could get and we where open to women long before IFD. But the women were limited to what they where capable of. For obvious physical reasons they could not endure hose advancement into a working fire well at all and that is the basic in firefighting. So they led support operations that were very useful, pump operators,EMT's, safety speakers and inspectors. To be an fire captain it is essential to have fought all aspects of a fire, from internal firefighting to ladder and ventilation, hazmat and heavy rescue.
I seriously doubt this lady was qualified and the harassment she received unfortunetly was a misguided effort to persuade or pressure her out. It's not a good thing when firefighters do not trust their officers.
beehache

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

The $350,000 should come out of the pockets of those involved, NOT the city taxpayers.

Since: Jun 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

Hose Bag wrote:
sounds like beaver was on a manhunt. some jobs are best left for men.
And this is why you still live at home in your Mommy's basement with "Rosie" GROW UP and join the rest of us in the 21stC.

Sounds like someone has issues with female authority figures.

Since: Dec 06

Peru, Indiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

All of this was made possible years ago by the ACLU. Equal rights was the buzz then and that changed the hiring practice everywhere including fire departments. She saw an opportunity and took it. I believe many issues were blown out of proportion and any half wit attorney can win a case like that.
Argos

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

Greeson isn't shy about acting like a jackass in public when he's surrounded by his buddies. Like his "dyke" comment during a City Council Meeting about a tax protester. Sorry, but his job is to be a leader who rises above firehouse antics and is an example. As a taxpayer, I for one don't much care for my taxes going to pay for this smartass stupidity.
Half Wit Attorney

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

Kenny wrote:
All of this was made possible years ago by the ACLU. Equal rights was the buzz then and that changed the hiring practice everywhere including fire departments. She saw an opportunity and took it. I believe many issues were blown out of proportion and any half wit attorney can win a case like that.
Thank you for those kind words Sir.

Since: Dec 06

Peru, Indiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

Half Wit Attorney wrote:
<quoted text> Thank you for those kind words Sir.
Dear Half Wit, those words weren't really meant to be kind nor hateful just honest. You know very well what I'm talking about and you know very well I'm right.
Half Wit Attorney

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

Dear Kenny , i always consume my humor with a grain of salt. And yes , i do understand your angle , as well as agreeing with you on all points.As a matter of fact , i have no attorneys on my christmas card list.
NoblesvilleObser ver

Princeton, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

tom wrote:
When I was a volunteer firemen we needed all the help we could get and we where open to women long before IFD. But the women were limited to what they where capable of. For obvious physical reasons they could not endure hose advancement into a working fire well at all and that is the basic in firefighting. So they led support operations that were very useful, pump operators,EMT's, safety speakers and inspectors. To be an fire captain it is essential to have fought all aspects of a fire, from internal firefighting to ladder and ventilation, hazmat and heavy rescue.
I seriously doubt this lady was qualified and the harassment she received unfortunetly was a misguided effort to persuade or pressure her out. It's not a good thing when firefighters do not trust their officers.
Well written. We had the same sorts of issues in the Army. I for one am very open to equal opportunity, and being mean is simply wrong. Unfortunately, lowering physical standards and promoting people who are actually less capable than their peers is also wrong. It's a tough question for sure.
hjm

Collinsville, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

Kenny, was that a self promotion: "Any half wit ..."?
Iz Wrong

Homewood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

Explain to me just one more time why Bart wants the township departments absorbed into this mess!

Sounds like Indianapolis Fire needs to be absorbed into the townships.
NoblesvilleObser ver

Princeton, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

Hippie wrote:
A guy downtown tried to sell me a copy of the STAR...
You see? Lying will get you nowhere. You should have told him the truth--that you like to cruise the online version and leave silly comments on the discussion boards.
Just curious

Grovetown, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

Kenny wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Half Wit, those words weren't really meant to be kind nor hateful just honest. You know very well what I'm talking about and you know very well I'm right.
I agree with Half-Wit. The case must have had merit if anyone could win it! Thank you ACLU for protecting our liberties. Even the attorney for the city recognized the wrong that was done.
Appalled

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

fossil wrote:
Fighting fires is a mans job.
The "availability" of men is why some women tag along.
Or, the women want to show their "masculine" side to their "dyke"
friends.
The sign should read, "Men Only".
You did not really say that? I think your comment shows your "small member" side" to your "small membered" friends. You're an idiot!
a firefighter

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

I know of one department that has a female on it that everytime there is fire training or the real thing, she seems to always have trouble with her gear or SCBA mask ahd has to evacuate the building. After about a year of this, the brass and line officers find out that she is scared of fire. Instead of holding her to the same standards as the men, they push her off to the ems side with the same pay and benefits as the other firefighters with no discipline action whatsoever. If that was me or another man, we would lose our jobs. Now is that fair? Another female joined this department and didn't pass the CPAT. She still has a job and admits she would rather no go in on fires. Not go in on fires? Now is this fair? Michael Vick holds dog fighting on his premises. NAACP says it is wrong for Vick to get prison time for this. Is that a fair statement? Nothing is fair in society today. I know Ruth, don't work with her but know her and have ran into her. She can be a true beotch and trouble maker. Get over it.
Decider

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

If he wasn't smart enough to do anything else but public "service" for a living, having this kind of money in his hands is going to be a disaster. Bad things happen when you let the uneducated have a go at wealth.
USA

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

I am all for "equal" rights but I have a problem when they lower the standards to become equal.
Yes She Is That Bad

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

Ruth has no business anywhere on a fire scene, especially if she is going to be in charge. Had she been a man, she would have never made captain. Her judgement is questionable at best, dangerous always. Then there are her EMS skills which are so far below par that if she ever tries treating me, my lawyer will get some of the citys money back. She has a lot of nerve suing because she was discriminated against; knowing that all she has gotten was because she was a woman.
plugcatcher

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

She was looking for a payout and another promotion. She has managed to turn all of her mess-ups into "everyone is out to get me". She is not well liked or respected as an officer on this job; not because she's a female,but because she is not a good firefighter.
bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

[QUOTE
Sounds like Indianapolis Fire needs to be absorbed into the townships.[/QUOTE]it already has

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of154
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Indianapolis Forum right now

Search the Indianapolis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
They're Here 1 hr single smoking n looking 2
Parc Bordeaux Apts Awful 1 hr single smoking n looking 3
Knockout Game in Broad-Robbers 6 hr Ralph 3
Rebecca Driscoll 7 hr Curious 4
Ineptness 14 hr Big Phony Cop 1
Frontenac Street Lawrence Indiana 9600 block BU... 17 hr The Ultimate Kaptoz 2
Chokehold them brothas 17 hr The Ultimate Kaptoz 4
•••
•••