GOP backing Ballard in mayor's race

GOP backing Ballard in mayor's race

There are 37 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from May 1, 2007, titled GOP backing Ballard in mayor's race. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Marion County Republican leaders think that Greg Ballard is the candidate most capable of defeating Mayor Bart Peterson in November.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
JoBu

Indianapolis, IN

#25 May 2, 2007
Hey IndyStar....how about a little detail about Greg? Some of us have no idea who he is. How can you write this article without detailing him?
Jerri

Fishers, IN

#26 May 2, 2007
I have my absentee ballot. I went online from a link in the STAR and got the app downloaded. There really is no excuse not to vote and things are really critical at all levels of government for anyone to shirk this responsibility. We need change!
IND

Indianapolis, IN

#27 May 2, 2007
Competition makes everything better.

Bart was a great Mayor in the beginning, but every Republican has moved out of Indy away from the crime to the suburbs. Now Republican office holders don't have their votes.

Without any Republican office holders holding Bart accountable, he's started to slip. It would be the same if the parties' roles were reversed.

We need competition. Unfortunatley, no well-to-do Republican wants to live here or send their kids to school in a city with a murder two murders a day.
ben scrued

United States

#28 May 2, 2007
Hey average joe what have you been smoking. Where is the savings from the mess they call a ipd-sheriffs merger. With a clown like frank anderson in charge of impd its little wonder homicides are a daily occurence. If peterson is reelected run for your life.
Impeach Dan Burton

AOL

#29 May 2, 2007
Anybody but Bart for Mayor!!
oh yeah

Indianapolis, IN

#30 May 2, 2007
It is that republican leadership that got us in the public safety pension mess, the decaying infrastructure ignored and our city bonded to the hilt to avoid a tax increase and now Bart has to find a way to dig us out of the hole. It is those darn spend, spend, spend policies of the GOP. The national GOP has us running such deficit budgets that our grandchildren are going to still be paying them off.
amk plus indianapolis wrote:
It is time for Indianapolis to return to the Republican leadership that made the city great in the first place. Sure, Indianapolis is still a great city even with Bart running it, but he has some serious kinks in his armor now. It is time for Bart to go! Indianapolis is having crime, homelessness, traffic, air pollution and fiscal problems that need real solutions, not just quick fixes. Bart knows all about quick fixes. I am more than willing to live and work in Bart Peterson's Indianapolis, but I hope that he loses this election because Indianapolis does not need four more years of Bart Peterson! I hope Greg Ballard gets to face off with Bart in the general election and I hope Republican leadership returns to Indianapolis!
Think

Indianapolis, IN

#35 May 3, 2007
I don't usually vote for Republicans, but this is one who can actually do the job. The reality is the crime rate in this city has increased and there hasn't been much support from our mayor on the issue. It is nice to show up and give a speech, but it's better to take measurable action.
Ted-former Hollywood BF

Woodridge, IL

#36 May 4, 2007
Well Peterson tried to do one thing to fight crime, he nominated his former economic advisor, Melina Kennedy, for Prosecutor! A no experience political hack. He doesn't go for the best people he can get, nor listen to the business community who has experience. It is all about centralizing power, Indy looses and its sad. There is no light at the end of the tunnel, not in my lifetime.
Bryan

Louisville, KY

#37 May 4, 2007
The only problem with Bart is that he is putting entertainment (the Colts) before public saftey. They may bring more visitors to the city and with that, more money, but, if the crime rate goes up (and it already has) the visitors will cease to come and the entire pricetag for the new stadium will be left to the taxpayers.
Average Joe wrote:
I am a Republican...but I like Bart. If you have someone good already, let him stay. I've been in politics in a small city and know the public rarely knows everything that goes into decisions that are made. Yes, fight crime and work on transit...he appears to be trying in those areas. Nobody new is going to do anything much different than he is...regardless of party. This isn't national politics, it's local, where party really doesn't make a lot of difference.
Bryan

Louisville, KY

#38 May 4, 2007
I was a part of the MCSD and I can say your comment is right on!!!
ben scrued wrote:
Hey average joe what have you been smoking. Where is the savings from the mess they call a ipd-sheriffs merger. With a clown like frank anderson in charge of impd its little wonder homicides are a daily occurence. If peterson is reelected run for your life.
Former MCSD

Louisville, KY

#39 May 4, 2007
What would it take to cut the Mayor terms to two? I know its too late now for Bart, but it might help in the future if Indy gets in this situation again. We would only have to endure eight years of servitude.
Jerri

Fishers, IN

#40 May 7, 2007
Former MCSD wrote:
What would it take to cut the Mayor terms to two? I know its too late now for Bart, but it might help in the future if Indy gets in this situation again. We would only have to endure eight years of servitude.
You are oh so right! We need TERM LIMITS in all areas of this so-called public service.(insert sarcasm) We DON'T need career politicians or we will get newer versions of the same old schmucks.
Susan

Indianapolis, IN

#41 May 19, 2007
A message to Greg...please, investigate before you speak. Although Bart likes to think he is still in charge of the police department, much to his dismay, he is NOT! First of all, Peterson is the one that destroyed the police atmosphere in Marion County. Only when he runs for re-election does he talk positively about the crime rate, etc. Secondly, if you want the roll call site back at 42nd & College, direct your request to the Sheriff and Chief. Peterson no longer in charge is the only good thing to come of the merger. Greg, good or bad, you will get 90% of the police vote - we all hate Peterson. He is a liar, please don't follow his footsteps!
know your history

United States

#42 May 20, 2007
We used to have a two term limit and the REPUBLICANS had it changed when Bill Hudnut was mayor. In the legislature, it was informally called the "Hudnut Forever" bill. So blame the GOP
Former MCSD wrote:
Skip-SC

Lexington, SC

#43 May 20, 2007
Keep electing Bart. I have friends with real estate interests in Anderson who'd love to see more people flee Indy.
who

United States

#44 May 20, 2007
Who is Ballard? Does he have a first name? How can someone that few people know get the nomination of a major party for mayor of a major city? Is the Republican party in that much disarray and chaos that they are grasping at straws????
Suckers

West Lafayette, IN

#45 Oct 29, 2013
Ballard,worst mayor ever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
See, Indiana still consider a very racist state... (Nov '07) 2 hr doubtful 976
Gas Alert $2.17 11 hr FuelFinder 1
News Keeping Molly's Memory Alive 11 hr Missing 2
For a business, what is the purpose of employin... 11 hr caged 4
Boehner crying. again. Fri Wha 2
News Pastoral associate on unpaid leave followinga Thu nope 1
Does anyone know anything about CJ Moorefield? Jul 29 nasty 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages