Smokers still puffing away at Indy ai...

Smokers still puffing away at Indy airport despite new ban

There are 1078 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 1, 2008, titled Smokers still puffing away at Indy airport despite new ban. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Mustering the courage to board a plane bound for Los Angeles, 77-year-old Madeline Kortman sat down on a cold outdoor bench Tuesday to smoke a cigarette before heading inside Indianapolis International Airport.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 54
Next Last
Jimbo

United States

#1 Jan 1, 2008
"Besides, he said, how do tourists view the city when the first thing they see is a smoke-filled airport?"

Duh, Wesley, you ever watched a plane take off?
OIFVET

Phenix City, AL

#3 Jan 2, 2008
Duh I work on aircraft and cigarette smoke is far worse. No one has ever asked me if I work on planes because of the smell of my clothes. You can smell a smoker. I dont know of a case of lung cancer associated with airplane exhaust. 40% of all smokers have some sort of mental illness. Now go ahead and defend your so called right to smoke but remember are you the 40 or 60 percent. Most smokers I know make bad decisions on a daily bases. I laugh as I watch your skin wrinkle prematurely. Your ability to perform at your job is laughable.
OIFVET

Phenix City, AL

#4 Jan 2, 2008
Jimbo wrote:
"Besides, he said, how do tourists view the city when the first thing they see is a smoke-filled airport?"
Duh, Wesley, you ever watched a plane take off?
What 1960 era plane are you watching?
larry jackson

Qingdao, China

#5 Jan 2, 2008
Again, we have the tyranny of the majority. The essance of democracy is to restrict undesirable behavior but to force a blanket prohibition of a legal activity is contrary to democracy.

I don't like diesel smoke but I don't expect Greyhound to park their buses.
brian

Springfield, IL

#6 Jan 2, 2008
40% of all smokers have some sort of mental illness.

Tell me where this little fun fact was published. This is simply ridiculous and most, if not all people DON'T care
what your opinion of their ability to do their job is. If you HAD a job, maybe you'd spend less time here telling other people how to live. Shut up.
Dan

Dayton, OH

#7 Jan 2, 2008
larry jackson wrote:
Again, we have the tyranny of the majority. The essance of democracy is to restrict undesirable behavior but to force a blanket prohibition of a legal activity is contrary to democracy.
I don't like diesel smoke but I don't expect Greyhound to park their buses.
Tyranny of the majority? What do you call it when the minority wants to impose their stink on everyone? When they want special privileges. Smokers litter. They take extra breaks at work for their dirty habit. Their habit stains paint, curtains, ceiling tiles, and makes everything smell.

Why should anyone have to pay for a dirty habit like that? Smokers need to stink up their own homes. Put burn holes in their own furniture. Smokers need to remember that their rights end when they walk out their front door.
Snip Cahue

Fairmount, IN

#8 Jan 2, 2008
Ha! Lynch called the smoking ban "terrorism?" Thank goodness a security guy can spot terrorism when he sees it!

Puhleeeeeeeze!
outside the box

Winchester, KY

#9 Jan 2, 2008
Most of the "security" folks (everywhere) smoke...this is a situation where the fox is guarding the chicken house.
Pizza Pat

Carmichael, CA

#12 Jan 2, 2008
Pat hopes the airport means business with this smoking ban. Smokers have no right to expect to be allowed to indulge in their selfish, nasty habit where others might be exposed to their poisonous second-hand smoke.

Welcome to the 20th century people. Indiana is one of the fattest, most uneducated, least compensated states in the country with one of the highest smoking rates. We need to address everyone of these. In most of civilization, smoking around strangers is just not tolerated anymore. Smoke on your own private property where you make the rules.
happy new year

South Bend, IN

#13 Jan 2, 2008
OIFVET wrote:
Duh I work on aircraft and cigarette smoke is far worse. No one has ever asked me if I work on planes because of the smell of my clothes. You can smell a smoker. I dont know of a case of lung cancer associated with airplane exhaust. 40% of all smokers have some sort of mental illness. Now go ahead and defend your so called right to smoke but remember are you the 40 or 60 percent. Most smokers I know make bad decisions on a daily bases. I laugh as I watch your skin wrinkle prematurely. Your ability to perform at your job is laughable.
i can`t believe a moron like you works on our planes,no wonder engines fall off,and planes crash!
amazing

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Jan 2, 2008
Until smoking become illelgal whay are smokers continually being punished?
Flier

Bringhurst, IN

#15 Jan 2, 2008
They can smoke all they want, if it's outside. They should allow at least that for people to feed their addiction.
Tony

Burlington, KY

#16 Jan 2, 2008
Should have interviewed someone who has at least a 5th grade vocabulary. I think smoking outside is OK, you have to be kidding fresh air at an airport.
Go outside and take a deep breath people what do you smell? odds are it isn't cigarette smoke.
smoker

Duncan, OK

#17 Jan 2, 2008
you want my tax dollars for the 'uninsured' and a hundred other things but you don't want me to smoke! what happens if we all stop smoking??? how will the government support all those programs then???
Bill

Taiwan

#18 Jan 2, 2008
smoker wrote:
you want my tax dollars for the 'uninsured' and a hundred other things but you don't want me to smoke! what happens if we all stop smoking??? how will the government support all those programs then???
Raise taxes!
Jerry

Kokomo, IN

#19 Jan 2, 2008
Dan wrote:
Smokers need to remember that their rights end when they walk out their front door.
Which rights are those, Fuhrer?
outside the box

Winchester, KY

#20 Jan 2, 2008
Smoker,you are not being taxed enough to cover even a tiny fraction of the damages you incur...yet alone the "uninsured". Maybe anyone under the age of 50 who smokes should be denied access to health insurance of any kind...and their kids too.
The Sheckster

United States

#21 Jan 2, 2008
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Tyranny of the majority? What do you call it when the minority wants to impose their stink on everyone? When they want special privileges. Smokers litter. They take extra breaks at work for their dirty habit. Their habit stains paint, curtains, ceiling tiles, and makes everything smell.
Why should anyone have to pay for a dirty habit like that? Smokers need to stink up their own homes. Put burn holes in their own furniture. Smokers need to remember that their rights end when they walk out their front door.
Here, here. Smokers choose to smoke where everyone has the right to breathe clean air. I just buried my step dad because of his smoking, so I really don't have much sympathy for smokers.
The Sheckster

United States

#22 Jan 2, 2008
Others, like smoker and airport security worker Danny Lynch, see the plight of fearful fliers in search of one last drag before takeoff and wonder what the world is coming to.

“People who are flying are a nervous wreck,” Lynch said.“Afraid of flying and you can’t smoke a cigarette — that’s terrorism to me.”

Too freaking bad. Have a few drinks and shut the hell up.
The Joker

Indianapolis, IN

#23 Jan 2, 2008
What tourists? A bad impression is getting off a flight, waiting a half a hour for your luggage, going OUTSIDE to smoke and getting a ticket...let's see how well that goes over with a potential business investor coming to Indy?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 54
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How Indiana lawmakers are winning the fight to ... 4 hr truth 2
News Middletown police officer arrested on child por... (Aug '06) 7 hr Not Illiterate 48
Muellerbueller 15 hr Lock Him Up 2
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) 19 hr Voter 178
Ashley manning keeping twin a secret? (Apr '11) Sat Mya Mia 6
The Sickness That Is Manifesting Within Today's... Sat He Should Be Ashamed 7
Motel 6 Sat well 26

Indianapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages