White seeks to trim 17 in top posts

White seeks to trim 17 in top posts

There are 87 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 25, 2008, titled White seeks to trim 17 in top posts. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

IPS superintendent will ask School Board not to renew administrators' contracts Tom Wood Lexus Lexus Certified Pre-Owned includes 3 Year or 100,000 Total Vehicle Mileage Warranty.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Sign of the times

United States

#1 Feb 26, 2008
"Administrators whose contracts are not renewed either lose their jobs with the district or are offered lower-ranking jobs, such as returning to classrooms as teachers."

Teacher=lower-ranking job

concerned citizen

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Feb 26, 2008
Boy what a bummer, I know a lot of these people probably need to lose their jobs, but I know Mrs. Johnson at Northwest High and she is a pretty good asst. principal, and she really tries to keep that school together. I can't believe how some people are used as a scapegoat. I work for I.P.S. and they really to start downtown at the Ed. center. There are a lot of those people that are there just to fill a seat and don't have a clue as to what is going on.
be for real

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Feb 26, 2008
Sign of the times wrote:
"Administrators whose contracts are not renewed either lose their jobs with the district or are offered lower-ranking jobs, such as returning to classrooms as teachers."
Teacher=lower-ranking job
Yeah? What do they mean by lower ranking positions. Although I don't agree with the way a lot of I.P.S. teachers go about doing their duties, they do at least try to do what they can with what they've got. I really wouldn't want to work for such a I'll scracth your back if you do mine outfit, because in the long run if I am under you I am nothing to you.

Since: Jun 07

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Feb 26, 2008
Eugene I can't seem to find our name on this list? WHY NOT?
IPS teacher

Crawfordsville, IN

#6 Feb 26, 2008
The story says Dr. White will ask the board to "revoke contracts...tonight.."
I only hope these employees have been notified already, and don't have to read about it in the paper as we have. Decades in IPS tell me that this "cut list" is too heavy in school administrators and too light in
"downtown" administrative jobs.
We used to say JMFCES is where bad teachers disappear to.
good start wrong place

Redwood City, CA

#7 Feb 26, 2008
Didn't notice any cuts from the downtown office - sure there is a lot to cut there. It would be great if you could reward teachers with more money and keep them in the classroom rather than reward them by moving the good ones out of the classroom and into administration. Just because someone is a great teacher does not make them a good administrator. Same as in sports just look at Larry Bird, great player but sorry administrator.
Eugene needs our support

Fort Wayne, IN

#8 Feb 26, 2008
he has the hardest job in the city and the results of his decisions impact the future of our city (and inner city young people) more than any other. He does not make these decisions lightly. He is faced with a nearly impossible task...if those on the list are worth, they should be able to get jobs in districts that are gaining students, not losing them. He has no choice, if IPS is to survive, but to make unpopular decisions. Remember, many of the schools are not even air conditioned...not that that has anything to do with this issue -- it just points up the multi-headed monster he's dealing with.
Dennis_Daviess Co

Columbus, IN

#9 Feb 26, 2008
And just what does alternative options do for a school. Until this article I have never heard of any kind of job like that in a school. Maybe it is about time the tax payers start looking at some of this and get rid of what is not needed. If they are wasting money like this it is no wonder the schools are against this property tax reform. They need money to pay for all of these non jobs they are handing out to people. Maybe we need to did a little deeper than what we have so far. This is getting way out of hand.
Dennis_Daviess Co

Columbus, IN

#10 Feb 26, 2008
I meant dig a little deeper. Sorry.
be for real

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Feb 26, 2008
good start wrong place wrote:
Didn't notice any cuts from the downtown office - sure there is a lot to cut there. It would be great if you could reward teachers with more money and keep them in the classroom rather than reward them by moving the good ones out of the classroom and into administration. Just because someone is a great teacher does not make them a good administrator. Same as in sports just look at Larry Bird, great player but sorry administrator.
You are so right!
be for real

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Feb 26, 2008
Eugene needs our support wrote:
he has the hardest job in the city and the results of his decisions impact the future of our city (and inner city young people) more than any other. He does not make these decisions lightly. He is faced with a nearly impossible task...if those on the list are worth, they should be able to get jobs in districts that are gaining students, not losing them. He has no choice, if IPS is to survive, but to make unpopular decisions. Remember, many of the schools are not even air conditioned...not that that has anything to do with this issue -- it just points up the multi-headed monster he's dealing with.
Dr.White is the only multi-headed monster in the entire world of education and we have the misfortune of having him as our superindent. He is always preaaching about kids frist but he fire all of the good teachers and keep the ones that are only there for a paycheck.
Pathetic

Fishers, IN

#13 Feb 26, 2008
Dear Indy Star,

Show some class, these people don’t need humiliated by listing their names in the paper. Whether they are underperforming or not, isn’t losing their job enough?
Just so you know

AOL

#15 Feb 26, 2008
You would not need air conditoning if you ended school in very early June and didnt return until after labor day!

Air Conditioning for a few days is a waste! Also the increased cost to operate it. Air conditioning doesnt solve all problems, it creates some too!

There are studies right now about air conditioning not being healthy! Kids need to be outside playing and playing sports instead of sitting around all day in air conditioning watching tv and playing video games.... that is the reason they are so fat!

The body needs exercise and to sweat in order to be healthy!
IPS Parent

Kendallville, IN

#16 Feb 26, 2008
You have some principals are very mean and couldn't read or spell let get them out of the system. Poor example we have to followed.
Anonymous

United States

#17 Feb 26, 2008
It seems that Superintendent White overlooked an individual that clearly is not performing adequately; that being the Principal of Broadripple High School. Greg Allen is nonresponsive to the needs of his student community. He has allowed children to miss more than 84 days from school without being referred to the truancy court. Children fall through the cracks and are lost simply because the principal has no interest in making his staff accountable for poor attendance by students and poor grades as a result of failing to attend classes. Students are allowed to roam the halls without any accountability. This is a good reason to remove that principal and to close Broadripple High School if he is seeking to reduce the budget.

On the other hand, the Director of Broadripple Evening School, Sherry McCoy, who is also listed as being terminated, not only holds the students accountable, but has never received a poor evaluation in her 39 years with IPS. To lump Ms. McCoy with the other individuals as if she is being terminated for poor performance is a travesty, and simply not true.
ms bear

Duncan, OK

#18 Feb 26, 2008
I think that is time for Mr. White to be removed. I can see nothing positive that he has done for IPS. Closing schools instead of getting to the real problem of why so many IPS students are going to township school when they do not live in the township district, losing IPS students to charter schools which most of the Charter Schools aren't really teaching the students. If Mr. White would really show concern for IPS students instead trying to do away with staff IPS really could become a good school system.
Neidermeyer

Dayton, OH

#19 Feb 26, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
It seems that Superintendent White overlooked an individual that clearly is not performing adequately; that being the Principal of Broadripple High School. Greg Allen is nonresponsive to the needs of his student community. He has allowed children to miss more than 84 days from school without being referred to the truancy court. Children fall through the cracks and are lost simply because the principal has no interest in making his staff accountable for poor attendance by students and poor grades as a result of failing to attend classes. Students are allowed to roam the halls without any accountability. This is a good reason to remove that principal and to close Broadripple High School if he is seeking to reduce the budget.
On the other hand, the Director of Broadripple Evening School, Sherry McCoy, who is also listed as being terminated, not only holds the students accountable, but has never received a poor evaluation in her 39 years with IPS. To lump Ms. McCoy with the other individuals as if she is being terminated for poor performance is a travesty, and simply not true.
Here is a better idea: close Broad Ripple High School altogether! Use Shortridge for the High School, it's physically closer to the neighborhood that the students live in anyway.
finally

Louisville, KY

#20 Feb 26, 2008
DJ is perhaps the best player in Indiana college basketball and is the only white that is news worthy! GO IU!
Frustrated

United States

#21 Feb 26, 2008
How sad to lump the names of those adminstrators who have lost their jobs due to reduction in force along with those whose performance evaluations are below par. Why did Supt. White feel the necessity to give the names out without proper explanation? Such a "boner". Perhaps Supt. White needs to weed out some at EC and let them go back to teaching----as if many could!!! I know, what about Supt. White? Maybe he needs to be "demoted" and return as a principal?
Car

Indianapolis, IN

#22 Feb 26, 2008
I am a retired teacher from IPS and I can't believe how IPS has gone down. Some of these principals should have been gone a long time ago.Thank God for Dr. White finally putting his foot down.These principals are out of control especially that one lady at 27 that brought bad press to that school and the one at 44.They should be the next to go.They have no personality or no how to treat parents, teachers and staff.Thank you Dr. White and please keep shaking the foundation to improve IPS.I hope he fires a couple more!! God has shown up and shown out, here God comes devil, so you have to move!!To the reporter could you please do a follow up on that school, school 27 regarding the sub and teacher situation from last November.I would be interested in reading what the outcome was.Please Dr. White keep cleaning house to improve IPS, keep up the good work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michelle from the WH stops in at Opies Place 18 hr Amy 1
MCSO inmate search on their website. (Sep '12) 20 hr Yessir 3
News Neighbors in custom homes put up a fight with P... (Jan '11) Thu lavon affair 95
Obama is so smiling at Hllary Loss Thu TrumpPenceRock 1
Industrial Maintenance Job Fair - Honda Manufac... Thu Lori Legge 1
Nibiru Safe Zones Thu PlanetX 1
10th Street Prostitutes in the 50s 60s (May '12) Wed Miggs 431

Indianapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages