Court rules Carmel can annex Home Place

Court rules Carmel can annex Home Place

There are 148 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Oct 17, 2007, titled Court rules Carmel can annex Home Place. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The Indiana Court of Appeals sided Wednesday with Carmel in its efforts to annex Home Place, but a lawyer representing the small community said the two-year battle isn't over.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

My Head Hurts

Noblesville, IN

#135 Nov 5, 2007
I'm just being curious here... The people of HP that are fighting so hard against Annexation, How are you going to feel when some of those same people sell their whole neiborhoods to the office park builders like Duke, is that going to be ok? I understand about staying apart from the city but will the almighty dollar change your mind? How did HP feel when the two full streets of homes off 96th st sold out to Duke 8-9 yrs ago, Were you against it and how are you going to prevent it in the future? A previous poster said her area is already zoned for business so are you going to watch your HP neiborhood get swallowed up because a developer offers 20-30,000 more then what your house is worth?

Since: Aug 07

San Jose, CA

#136 Nov 9, 2007
Robert Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be looking in different places that I see driving through. I see broken down cars and lawnmowers sitting out. The small strip mall on College and 106th is nice. But the area around it is not.
There is a double decker bus sitting beside the main road that has been used for a billboard.
I'll go talk to the owners and ask them about it. To be honest, I had never seen one before. It was of interest to me. The sign relates to a new business selling stained glass and holding classes on that craft. I would like to join one and do this in my spare time.

There are junk cars in plain view in Carmel, too. Drive down Rangeline to the intersection where Carmel's cemetery exists, and you'll see 'em.

My lawn mower is now in the garage. Sorry I was cleaning it and left it out to dry.

Hoosier/Home Place resident, graftpayer

“Say no to HILLARY ”

Since: Mar 07

Westfield, Indiana

#137 Nov 9, 2007
Stuart Kinney wrote:
<quoted text>I'll go talk to the owners and ask them about it. To be honest, I had never seen one before. It was of interest to me. The sign relates to a new business selling stained glass and holding classes on that craft. I would like to join one and do this in my spare time.
There are junk cars in plain view in Carmel, too. Drive down Rangeline to the intersection where Carmel's cemetery exists, and you'll see 'em.
My lawn mower is now in the garage. Sorry I was cleaning it and left it out to dry.
Hoosier/Home Place resident, graftpayer
Look at the home next to the small computer shop. Last time I drove past there was junk (lawnmower parts)sitting everywhere.

I am sure your home is very nice. It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone.

I know the place you are talking about. But I dont recall seeing junk cars there.

San Jose, CA

#139 Nov 22, 2007
Robert Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at the home next to the small computer shop. Last time I drove past there was junk (lawnmower parts)sitting everywhere.
I am sure your home is very nice. It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone.
I know the place you are talking about. But I dont recall seeing junk cars there.
Across from the cemetery at Rangeline and 136th (I think). When HP went to court against the annexation, they brought about 50 photos and descriptions of possible blight in Carmel. Carmel said coyly that it would not know if this was or wasn't code violations.

About the double decker: I'm working to contact my county commissioner to see what I can do to getting that yard cleaned. I'm sick of it too. But I still think Home Place is grand!

Hoosier/Home Place resident, home owner

“Say no to HILLARY ”

Westfield, Indiana

#140 Nov 26, 2007
Stuart Kinney wrote:
<quoted text>Across from the cemetery at Rangeline and 136th (I think). When HP went to court against the annexation, they brought about 50 photos and descriptions of possible blight in Carmel. Carmel said coyly that it would not know if this was or wasn't code violations.
About the double decker: I'm working to contact my county commissioner to see what I can do to getting that yard cleaned. I'm sick of it too. But I still think Home Place is grand!
Hoosier/Home Place resident, home owner
All I see across from the Graveyard is park place motors (I believe) and the Toyota/Honda body shop. That area looks clean unless I missed something or I am looking at the wrong spot.

Due to 106th being closed the other day I had to drive through using the road just south of it to get to Meridan. So I drove though the HP neighborhood there. It was very nice full of mature trees and very well kept yards and homes.

I believe this is a case of a few places off the main path for commuters that are ruining it for most of you.

Chicago, IL

#145 Nov 28, 2007
Robert Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
All I see across from the Graveyard is park place motors (I believe) and the Toyota/Honda body shop. That area looks clean unless I missed something or I am looking at the wrong spot.
Due to 106th being closed the other day I had to drive through using the road just south of it to get to Meridan. So I drove though the HP neighborhood there. It was very nice full of mature trees and very well kept yards and homes.
I believe this is a case of a few places off the main path for commuters that are ruining it for most of you.
I am going to contact Christine Altman the current county commissioner for this area to see what county ordinances can be used (and enforced!) against polluters. Whether or not Carmel annexes, I think people in the community have to be main force in cleaning up the area.

Hoosier/Home Place resident, homeowner

Chicago, IL

#146 Nov 28, 2007
Robert Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
No, why do you ask?
Did I say something that was incorrect?
A question, if you can: In addition to being in the County, we in Home Place are in the Clay Township Regional Waste District. I checked their website, and they say that they are a municipal corporation. Can't they then draft ordinances concerning waste, trash, and such? I am referring to junk cars, and other obvious waste sites. If you know about this, please shed some light on it. I moved here in 2005 and don't know.

Chicago, IL

#147 Nov 28, 2007
Luke wrote:
I will be selling my home in Home Place and relocating to the Geist area.
What are your reasons (if that's not too personal)>

“Say no to HILLARY ”

Westfield, Indiana

#149 Nov 28, 2007
Stuart Kinney wrote:
<quoted text>A question, if you can: In addition to being in the County, we in Home Place are in the Clay Township Regional Waste District. I checked their website, and they say that they are a municipal corporation. Can't they then draft ordinances concerning waste, trash, and such? I am referring to junk cars, and other obvious waste sites. If you know about this, please shed some light on it. I moved here in 2005 and don't know.
Sorry I honestly don't know. Years ago I lived on the West side and we had a neighbor that lived on the fist house when you pulled onto our street. He had a car on blocks for months and just junk all over his yard. Because of this one home that everyone viewed when then entered the neighborhood our street was looked at differently. As neighbors we got tougher with Wayne Township I believe and he was sent letters and finally an order to have it cleaned up or go to court. He finally did and everything looked better. I assume you could do the same thing there.
no thanks to carmel

Indianapolis, IN

#150 Apr 28, 2008
Nman wrote:
I like the big fire station at 106th and college, the one that has the big red trucks that say CARMEL FIRE on the side of them. They go out about 15 times a day, now at least homeplace's tax money will support that service.
Home place owns the fire house we lease the trucks and firemen from carmel for over $1000,000,000 I think it is more like 1.2 million
WE would be more than happy to give that money to
IFD.
Just the Facts

Marysville, OH

#151 Apr 28, 2008
It is interesting that of every County dollar spent in Homeplace 75% was from citizens of an incorporated area like Carmel. That figure is to increase to 90% as Hamilton County Continues to grow. It is time for Homeplace to pay its fair share.
no thanks to carmel

Indianapolis, IN

#152 Apr 28, 2008
Just the Facts wrote:
It is interesting that of every County dollar spent in Homeplace 75% was from citizens of an incorporated area like Carmel. That figure is to increase to 90% as Hamilton County Continues to grow. It is time for Homeplace to pay its fair share.
How can you say that when it really comes from sw clay. It's value is more than the city of carmel. Just another city boy with his head up his a>>
Just the Facts

Marysville, OH

#156 Apr 28, 2008
75% of all County property taxes collected in Hamilton County are from citizens of incorporated areas. 75% of the total assessed valuation in Hamilton County is located in incorporated areas like Carmel. Just the facts.
durbar

Marion, IN

#157 Apr 29, 2008
I recently looked at a house for sale in Homeplace as an investment property--- it was a good value, I liked the location, and with a little cleanup it would have been a great little house for someone.

What changed my mind was the house you have to drive by on 106th St with lawn equipment and other trash in the yard to get to the house I was looking at. FYI the house I was looking at is directly behind the gas station/strip mall at College and 106th

I can't imagine Carmel allowing junk like that in a yard. If that's what it takes to clean up specific areas of Homeplace, then I'm all for the annexation. From my own personal experience, I can say that the current state of things in Homeplace kept my investment dollars out of the community
yoolroodeday

Marysville, OH

#159 Apr 29, 2008
Stop feeding the trolls.
U R A Pud Pounder wrote:
durbar----What a Brainard stooge you really are.
awo

Carmel, IN

#161 Apr 30, 2008
Robert Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Dont they use Carmel Fire Department and Police? Not to mention sewage and other stuff.
in the past we have had sherriffs come when we call and the occasional carmel cop. we didnt ask to be part of carmels stuff!
Just the Facts

Marysville, OH

#162 Apr 30, 2008
awo wrote:
<quoted text>
in the past we have had sherriffs come when we call and the occasional carmel cop. we didnt ask to be part of carmels stuff!
Everytime you call the sheriff 75% of the money for the service comes from taxes collected in areas like Carmel, Westfield, Noblesville, Fishers, and other incorportated areas in Hamilton County. It is time you paid your fair share
yoolroodeday

Marysville, OH

#163 Apr 30, 2008
Stop feeding the trolls. Their comments are always removed, just ignore them and continue the conversation.
Betty Sue Got Married

Marysville, OH

#165 Apr 30, 2008
Ron Carter Carmel Indiana wrote:
yoolrldeday----GO F--- yourself.
DANG!

Hey Ron Carter, don't you work in public office in Carmel somehow?

That was harsh!
Ignore Lastrup Minn

Indianapolis, IN

#166 Apr 30, 2008
Betty Sue Got Married wrote:
<quoted text>
DANG!
Hey Ron Carter, don't you work in public office in Carmel somehow?
That was harsh!
Ignore any posts from this clown with the Minnesota ISP. He is nothing but a vulgar, hateful individual. He uses several different names. If you see his ISP from Minnesota, just ignore his comments. Additionally, you can click on "report Abuse" to have his ridiculous rants removed from this forum.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
punishment (Jul '15) Wed WHAT 8
melinda zell Wed me 1
Dancers showclub (Mar '13) Jul 24 Fool isnt the word 19
Poll Which Indiana city/town should claim Tony Stewart? (Feb '08) Jul 24 Boy from Homer 40
News Odor complaints flood Hamilton County, Indianap... Jul 22 Lavon Affair 2
News Pence: I'll campaign for Trump anywhere, anytime Jul 22 PURIM PARTY 25
Know anybody with rare, old coins/currency? Jul 22 wizard of ZOG 2

Indianapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages