Court rules Carmel can annex Home Place

Court rules Carmel can annex Home Place

There are 148 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Oct 17, 2007, titled Court rules Carmel can annex Home Place. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The Indiana Court of Appeals sided Wednesday with Carmel in its efforts to annex Home Place, but a lawyer representing the small community said the two-year battle isn't over.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Not Invented Here

United States

#1 Oct 18, 2007
It's not over 'til it's over over.

Finally, the Star admits that fact in the last two paragraphs.

Charge on Matt Milam.
Avid reader

Westfield, IN

#2 Oct 18, 2007
The ultimate of greed! A government for the people? by the people?
First thought

AOL

#3 Oct 18, 2007
Maybe some of the trash will be cleaned up if Carmel takes over. Seems like most Home Place owners would want this.
Voice of Reason

Palo Alto, CA

#4 Oct 18, 2007
Since it sounds like Homplace is already enjoying one of Carmels good service (i.e. school) it is only fair that their taxes finally reflect this.

There are worse things than being annexed by Carmel, at least this will make your property values go up...
Leave Them Be

Panama City, FL

#6 Oct 18, 2007
Gee, a 21% increase in taxes in return for absolutely nothing? No wonder Home Place does not want Carmel to sink its greedy hooks into it.
Jeb

Avon, IN

#7 Oct 18, 2007
Voice of Reason wrote:
Since it sounds like Homplace is already enjoying one of Carmels good service (i.e. school) it is only fair that their taxes finally reflect this.
There are worse things than being annexed by Carmel, at least this will make your property values go up...
It is the Carmel-Clay School system and the residents in the township already pay for the schools. How in the world can being annexed by Carmel make property values increase?

An informed electorate is a good thing. Unfortunately this is a rather rare thing these days.
DRB

Bedford, MA

#8 Oct 18, 2007
This is simply greed on the part of Carmel. No area is safe that borders Carmel, espicially if they see added revenue. The desire to fill those coffers knows no bounds.

The residents of Homeplace did not ask Carmel do build up around them so they are not in Carmel's debt for any service they might use. Forced annexation is as vile as the abusive use of Immiment Domain.
CareerLeader

Louisville, KY

#9 Oct 18, 2007
Voice of Reason wrote:
Are you thinking? The people in the township already pay taxes that go to the school system!

You're right, there are worse places to be annexed by... like Westfield. Their idea of development is strip malls everywhere. The idiots around me west of US 31 decided to go with Westfield and the town immediately made plans to destroy everything decent nearby.

You can't drive down 32 east of 31.... now you won't be able to drive 32 on the west side of 31 either.

Carmel, you should have faught to get that land into your city. It would have been a great improvement
Buy War Bonds

Dayton, OH

#10 Oct 18, 2007
Get into the 21st century Homie Place. You're part of Carmel
Tell It Like It Is

Newport, KY

#11 Oct 18, 2007
It is truly the "Great American Pass Time". The rich get richer and Joe Average Citizen takes it on the chin again.

Anyone care to annex Carmel?

I didn't think so.
Nman

Fishers, IN

#12 Oct 18, 2007
I like the big fire station at 106th and college, the one that has the big red trucks that say CARMEL FIRE on the side of them. They go out about 15 times a day, now at least homeplace's tax money will support that service.

Since: Feb 07

Carmel, IN

#14 Oct 18, 2007
First thought wrote:
Maybe some of the trash will be cleaned up if Carmel takes over. Seems like most Home Place owners would want this.
What?!?!?
Embarrassed citizen

Elwood, IN

#15 Oct 18, 2007
I say leave them alone. It's embarrassing to live in a town with a greedy mayor, making all these costly structures that some other mayor will have to pay for years later while Brainard is rotting in his grave. I won't stay in Carmel for long because I don't want to be around when my property taxes double to pay off all the debt he's putting us into right now.

“Say no to HILLARY ”

Since: Mar 07

Westfield, Indiana

#16 Oct 18, 2007
Leave Them Be wrote:
Gee, a 21% increase in taxes in return for absolutely nothing? No wonder Home Place does not want Carmel to sink its greedy hooks into it.
Dont they use Carmel Fire Department and Police? Not to mention sewage and other stuff.
Did You Not Read

Peru, IN

#17 Oct 18, 2007
"Carmel’s annexation of Home Place, located in the vicinity of 106th Street and College Avenue, would be the city’s 56th, completing officials’ desire to annex all of Clay Township."
According to the article, there is no township land other than Homeplace, so township taxes should be carmel taxes, right?
Homeplace

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Oct 18, 2007
most of you people think that we are just living there for free... We pay for the schools through tax. We pay for the services of the Carmel Fire Dept. If you people were listening to anything that has been said, it would be "What services can they give us that we do not alreay have & pay for" We just do not want the expense of your out of control mayor and his city councilmen. Why would we want to be annexed and pay for items we did not or care to have. I'm sure if we would like to go to the new Arts center there would be a charge, therefore we would pay for it.
Please people, quit criticizing about things you have no clue about..
Morals Firmly Intact

Pasadena, MD

#19 Oct 18, 2007
First thought wrote:
I was raised in Homeplace and I am not trash. I was raised by middle income parents who had good morals and a firm grip on what was right and wrong.
You're comment only shows what an insensitive bone-head you are.
HOMEPLACE RESIDENT

United States

#20 Oct 18, 2007
First thought wrote:
Carmels idea of taking out the trash is harrassing kids on skate boards and pulling over everycar that doesn't look new. I lived in Carmel 20 years and moved to Homeplace because of the working people who allow their kids to play out side. We actually have yards and ice cream trucks that cruise the neighborhood. The neighbors know each other and feels more like a home than Carmel ever did. I am not against being annexed..it is all of the other stuff like bulldoziers and being micro managed by a mayor.
Homeplace is real people and a real community! We just don't have the have the Bostonian Vision Brainard has for us.
Don't talk about place you that you have only driven thru...

“Say no to HILLARY ”

Since: Mar 07

Westfield, Indiana

#21 Oct 18, 2007
Homeplace wrote:
most of you people think that we are just living there for free... We pay for the schools through tax. We pay for the services of the Carmel Fire Dept. If you people were listening to anything that has been said, it would be "What services can they give us that we do not alreay have & pay for" We just do not want the expense of your out of control mayor and his city councilmen. Why would we want to be annexed and pay for items we did not or care to have. I'm sure if we would like to go to the new Arts center there would be a charge, therefore we would pay for it.
Please people, quit criticizing about things you have no clue about..
How do you pay for Police, Fire and sewage? Not trying to make issues I just dont know.
Nope

Canton, MI

#22 Oct 18, 2007
Voice of Reason wrote:
You sound like one of those Fishers idiots that doesn't realize that the school corporation boundaries and the town's (or city's) boundaries aren't the same.

Everyone inside the Carmel-Clay School District pays the same tax rate for the schools, whether they live inside of Carmel or inside of Home Place or out in SW Clay. The City of Carmel has nothing to do with the Careml-Clay School Corporation, they are two entirely different entities.

Fight on, Home Place!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Spiro Agnew (Nov '14) 10 hr OPERATION GLADIO 11
Carriage House East Apts (Jun '13) Aug 25 The REAL Moon God... 16
Custody attorney Aug 25 Ealj1818 3
Closing of the Marion County Children's Guardia... (Apr '09) Aug 24 Iansane90 35
Bruce Springsteen sucks anyways Aug 24 Ivyawe 7
does pepsi drug test? which type? (Jul '14) Aug 24 Amanda 20
News Local restaurant included in statewide money la... Aug 24 ok 3

Indianapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages