'Drama of doom' doesn't match data

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

Many Hoosiers now associate the economy with a vision of dark clouds. The national unemployment rate increased from 4.3 percent to 4.8 percent during 2007.
Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Mar 26, 2014
JBP

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2008

Judged:

Since Iraq has virtually vanished as a campaign issue except for the extreme left, the democrats needed to invent another hotbed issue. The mainstream media has been a willing participant scaring the public into believing that we're a heartbeat away from "The Grapes of Wrath."

After massive negative media bombardment coupled with market fluctuations and higher gas prices, many Americans now believe that we're in a recession right now (which isn't true).

Now than millions of people buy and sell stock daily from their home PCs, consumer confidence has become a huge factor in value of the stock market. That confidence has been played by the democrats like a Stradivarius with no regard for the American people, only their own political gain. There is a real danger this invented prophecy could become reality.

And who will save the day? Of course, the people who invented the issue in the first place.

But can they? Expect higher taxes for everyone including the acceptance of "global warming taxes." Their class envy strategy will raise everyone's taxes, not just "the rich," and will slow business expansion and job growth. Expect corporate taxes, already the second highest in the world, to rise even higher forcing even more jobs overseas. Expect much higher healthcare costs, reduced quality and the indifference of a license branch as the government takes over your personal health care choices.

This is the democrat party. Is this the "hope" I keep hearing about? I don't want any part of it.
Not fooled

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2008

Judged:

Mr. Powell must be on some good psychedelic drugs or he's reading from a prepared script.

"The weaker dollar increases foreign orders for Indiana products and buoys the state's manufacturing sector."

Among all the disingenous statements in this column, this one is the worst. The dollar is at an all time low....and dropping daily. To propose that this will create a boon for export of products overseas from Indiana is ridiculous.

Oil was $36/barrel when we invaded Iraq, now its over $100/barrel. Gold has similarly increased, now hovering around $1,000/ounce. Perhaps Mr. Powell thinks we aren't sophisticated enough to understand that.

Food prices are increasing as reported on Page 1 of Sunday's Star.

Real inflation was above 15% last year and forecasted to be above 20% for 2008.

I suggest Mr Powell go back to school and relearn economics. I would expect a better analysis from a sixth grader.

Since: May 07

Westfield, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2008

Judged:

DINGBAT EXTERMINATOR wrote:
<quoted text>
uh huh. Only commies care about the trillions of dollars wasted and the ongoing toll on American military personnel and their families.
A S S H O L E.
anyway...
"The only way to build wealth is to save money, and the only way to save money is not to spend it."
But, but, but... President DUHbya said - again and again, and just in the last day or two as well - to go out and SPEND the "rebate" check! Are you saying he doesn't know his JBP from a hole in the ground?
Hey, I know: Take this economist's advice, and use that check to pay down your credit card debt. And don't go out and charge it back up.
What a total moron. This liberal drivel is no more factual than Hillary Clinton has "a lifeitme of experience". This post was apparently submitted by someone with the mental capacity of a chimp and the historical knowledge of a 10 year old. In other words...typcial liberal.
Columbo

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

JBP -- the democrats invented this issue? Amazing! It has nothing to do with the housing fiasco? It has nothing to do with the fifth largest bank being bought out at 1% its value? It has nothing to do with the dollar bottoming out? It's all because of two people who are running for office. Wow! What power these two have.

“David Miller Art & Marketing ”

Since: Apr 08

Houston, Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

Judged:

How many millions have NO access to healthcare? Our present system SUCKS big-time. Will McCain improve it? I don't think so. Don't let the Right scare you with their old "socialized medicine" bit. Why are we almost alone in the industrialized world in being unable to provide healthcare to our citizens?
IN FLUX

Greenwood, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

Judged:

dmillerart wrote:
How many millions have NO access to healthcare? Our present system SUCKS big-time. Will McCain improve it? I don't think so. Don't let the Right scare you with their old "socialized medicine" bit. Why are we almost alone in the industrialized world in being unable to provide healthcare to our citizens?
Everyone has access to healthcare. What cave are you sleeping in. No hospital can refuse treatment. Try again. Be aware we know the truth, so telling lies will not fly.
Nobama

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2008

Judged:

Columbo wrote:
JBP -- the democrats invented this issue? Amazing! It has nothing to do with the housing fiasco? It has nothing to do with the fifth largest bank being bought out at 1% its value? It has nothing to do with the dollar bottoming out? It's all because of two people who are running for office. Wow! What power these two have.
No that would be the legislation the democrats passed back during the Clinton Administration that required the mortgage companies to extend loans to people who had no business getting them. They told congress what would happen, and wow, it did. Liberal legislation in action.
trial

Noblesville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2008

I guess this all depends on your situation. If you still have your job things have tightened up with higher prices,taxes,ect.If your job has been sourced out to India or China and you have had to take a job at half the pay then the economy in your eyes is in a serious crisis.I don't imagine your house payment or the price of gas are going to be going down anytime soon,your wages that is another story.
Merralee

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2014

This is the first time I had ever applied for a loan. I couldn't have asked for anything more from the staff that answered any of my questions to the application process. Once this had all been completed the money was transferred quickly into my account. I will definitely be recommending 911PDAY .COM ( http://goo.gl/l0GrbF ) too my friends and family.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Courts tell Indiana to honor gay marriages from... 8 hr who cares 4
officer Wilson 8 hr Simon 2
They riot with no facts or evidence 8 hr Simon 9
My new jeep Wed Rogains 5
Landlord registration in Indianapolis: Section ... Wed Rogains 5
Larue Carter right to work fired 50 good staff Wed Tom Thumb 3
Karen Dehut Wed Opinion 1

Search the Indianapolis Forum:
•••
•••