Shut out by Medicaid

There are 20 comments on the Jan 6, 2008, The Indianapolis Star story titled Shut out by Medicaid. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Indiana's Medicaid program spends nearly $6 billion a year to help about 1 million Hoosiers with health-care needs ranging from childbirth to nursing home care.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Arrghh

Evansville, IN

#231 Jan 6, 2008
BU Pharmacy Grad wrote:
Arrghh,
Did you have health insurance through your employer?
No, they dropped everyone's insurance.
Hmmm

Columbus, IN

#232 Jan 6, 2008
Arrghh wrote:
I have worked from the time I was 13 till 2006, when I was almost paralyzed from the neck down from an accident. Do the math, I am 35.
In 2002, I found out I had cancer. I continued to work. My cancer goes untreated as I can not afford it.
Since my accident in 2006, I had emergency surgery after walking around and working for two weeks with what I thought was a pulled muscle which has caused severe spinal cord compression and nerve damage.
I am supposed to be taking medicine which it looks like I won't be able to get this month due to lack of money.
I can't seem to yet get the SSI I paid for. If I did get $650.00 a month from that, where do you suppose I should spend it? Rent is $550/mth, Utilities (no cable)$240/mth. See, I am already in the hole! No food, no healthcare and by the way, there isn't public transportation where I live.
Again, Still no healthcare and no rehab for my injury, no cancer care.
No family to help, they are all too busy in their own lives. They have continually yelled at me for asking for them to even take me to the grocery, much less to do more!
Would I rather be working? Yes.
Where do you propose I find a job that will let me work 2 hours a day, some days not at all due to my injury? Even at a max of 10 hours a week, how far will that get me? And still no insurance.
So, "Arrghh", do you have dialup or high-speed internet service on your computer? Maybe you're using a public computer? Oh, wait - no transportation to even get food. A friend's computer? Nah, if you had a friend that would let you borrow a computer surely they'd help you get to a store for food.
Arrghh wrote:
God Bless you that use your head and understand.
Yes, people should think about some of these posts....
BU Pharmacy Grad

Springfield, IL

#233 Jan 6, 2008
Did you have a COBRA option? Almost everyone has the option to continue their insurance through a COBRA plan.
BU Pharmacy Grad

Springfield, IL

#234 Jan 6, 2008
$10 billion

If all Medicaid beneficiaries who smoke would quit, the estimated savings to America's Medicaid system within five years.

WOW.
Mark

AOL

#235 Jan 6, 2008
sick and tired wrote:
I work in the ER. I can tell you there
is no shortage of people with medicaid.
The problem is we need to give it to the people that need it and stop giving
it to women that keep having children they can't afford, grown people that
just dont want to work, and hispanics.
How do people from another country
come here and get free health insurance
when our state is struggling so much?
They can't speak english, but they
know how to get medicaid. Also, they
need to make people follow guidelines,
such as seeing a primary care doctor
instead of running to a level one
trauma center by ambulance for a sorethroat. People pay alot of money
to get coverage through their jobs
and if we don't follow the insurance
rules, the bill is on us. People
need to take some responsibility for
themselves. And I am not talking
about the elderly and handicapped.
They shoould be entitled to some
help, BUT LAZY PEOPLE LOOKING FOR A
FREE RIDE NEED TO BE CUT OFF.
I cannot tell you the number of times
people come in and have Gucci purses,
cell phones and cigarettes, but they
medicaid. I want Gucci and a cell
phone. But I know I have to prioritize.
We need to stop the bleeding!!!
I also work the front lines in healthcare and agree completely. I don't think you should have a cellphone, cable television or other luxuries if your getting public assistance! No one has ever died from not having cable television.

There needs to be a home visit on everyone on Medicaid and then unannounced follow-up visits. I personally know people who have gotten divorced on paper and transferred assets into a spouses name in order to qualify for Medicaid. And these people have plenty of money/assets and they don't want to have to use it.
sick and tired too

United States

#236 Jan 6, 2008
sick and tired wrote:
I, too, work in the medical field and you are right...not only Gucci purses and cell phones but have you seen the vehicles they drive, the expensive tatoos, manicures, pedicures and clothes? They are also the ones that suck the charity out of people at Christmas time and Thanksgiving. Always have their hand out. But when their kids ARE really sick, they don't want an appointment until the afternoon because they like to sleep till noon. Nothing else to do, since they don't have to get up and get a job that provides benefits.

But let a handicapped person or and elderly person apply for medicaid and they either have to have a lawyer to get it or have to meet a spin down and choose between going to the doctor, groceries or they much needed medicine.

Medicaid kids get their physicals free, vaccinations are only $5 thru Medicaid and they can get all the Hydrocodone, methadone, Xanax, Percocet, Lortab....need I go on.....for $5 at the pharmacy...while we, who work for a living and have benefits...have to meet a deductible or a copay. And how about people on Social Security who was promised the drug benefit plan that was going to 'save the day' for them....they wind up in the 'donut hole' and can't afford their medicine for the rest of the year until they meet another 'deductible' all the while they are paying for the drug benefit without the benefit of getting their discount while in the 'donut hole'. And if they don't comply with getting the so called drug benefit the government is penalizing them every year that they don't apply for it. It is not cost worthy for a healthy person on Social Security to get the drug benefit, but heaven help them if they run into bad health later on, didn't apply, and the government penalizes them for their decision.

Our 'government' healthcare is only for the lazy, the babymakers who are overpopulating the earth while breeding the same kind of behavior and illegal aliens. Of course what do our politicians have to worry about? Their healthcare is FREE!!!!!!!!!!
just lovely

Newberry, IN

#237 Jan 6, 2008
John -Fed up wrote:
<quoted text>
OK-- that is what I am talking about your last line: SO ALL OF YOU OUT THERE WHO THINK EVERYONE USING THE GOVERNMENT IS LAZY... me you said it best. YOU ARE USING THE GOVERNMENT.... The truth hurts.
I love how you only put in there the part that you wanted.... how about finishing the rest of that quote! Grow up... Im 23 and atleast i have a defense worth recognizing! How about my husband quits his job and quits school and we live off you for the rest of our lives

Since: Jan 07

Indy

#238 Jan 6, 2008
I think that this is not right I am a taxpayer I get more then $200 taken from my check and I am not eligible for Health Insurance either.
Ummmmmm

Erlanger, KY

#239 Jan 6, 2008
BU Pharmacy Grad wrote:
Did you have a COBRA option? Almost everyone has the option to continue their insurance through a COBRA plan.
Easy to type. But, it costs approx $800 a month. When you have no job, that is a little steep. I know, I have been there. I have a good job again, with affordable health benefits. However jobs with affordable health benfits are getting harder to find as time goes on.

“Iam just FED UP! ”

Since: Jan 08

Indianapolis, IN

#240 Jan 6, 2008
just lovely wrote:
<quoted text>
I love how you only put in there the part that you wanted.... how about finishing the rest of that quote! Grow up... Im 23 and atleast i have a defense worth recognizing! How about my husband quits his job and quits school and we live off you for the rest of our lives
WHY NOT LOVELY?? You already are by the way it sounds........ Do all tax payers a favor - get a job and stop having kids.

Indy

#241 Jan 6, 2008
Excellent wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait one minute - You are 49 years old - but you cannot get health care because you are NOT between the age of 21 and 65....
I see multiple problems here that I won't get in to at this point.
I think that she/he means that she/he is not younger then 21 and not older then 65 which are the ages that you either get medicaid or medicare.
test

United States

#242 Jan 6, 2008
test

Indy

#243 Jan 6, 2008
Question? What if you are working for someone and you are making $8.20 per hour and someone else that is hired the same day you are is hired in at $9.80 is that fare and you have to pay $60 every 2 weeks for a bull crap insurance that doesn't even cover your kids is that right and you make too much to get medicaid???
OIFVET

United States

#244 Jan 6, 2008
just lovely wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband has 7. But that is totally irrelivant when he pays for his children! Like i said... go after the parents that dont pay support for the children that they bring into this world! Not only does he pay for his children...I raise all but 1 of them! Where is the other parents who should take responcibility! I'm 23 raiing 6 kids... when only 3 are mine...there are 7 children between the two of us. i have 1 from a previous relationship...2 from this marriage.. and he has 4 from other relationships. So go ahead... blame him all you want... but it takes 2 to make babies.... atleast he takes care of his own!
You and your husband seem young enough to join the military. Free health care for all your rugrats and a house.
sid erenwald

Indianapolis, IN

#245 Jan 6, 2008
sick and tired wrote:
my mother was a R.N. in the re of comnunity east for 28 years and she told me just about the same thing.
worse than worst

Chicago, IL

#246 Jan 6, 2008
sick and tired too wrote:
<quoted text>
I, too, work in the medical field and you are right...not only Gucci purses and cell phones but have you seen the vehicles they drive, the expensive tatoos, manicures, pedicures and clothes? They are also the ones that suck the charity out of people at Christmas time and Thanksgiving. Always have their hand out. But when their kids ARE really sick, they don't want an appointment until the afternoon because they like to sleep till noon. Nothing else to do, since they don't have to get up and get a job that provides benefits.
But let a handicapped person or and elderly person apply for medicaid and they either have to have a lawyer to get it or have to meet a spin down and choose between going to the doctor, groceries or they much needed medicine.
Medicaid kids get their physicals free, vaccinations are only $5 thru Medicaid and they can get all the Hydrocodone, methadone, Xanax, Percocet, Lortab....need I go on.....for $5 at the pharmacy...while we, who work for a living and have benefits...have to meet a deductible or a copay. And how about people on Social Security who was promised the drug benefit plan that was going to 'save the day' for them....they wind up in the 'donut hole' and can't afford their medicine for the rest of the year until they meet another 'deductible' all the while they are paying for the drug benefit without the benefit of getting their discount while in the 'donut hole'. And if they don't comply with getting the so called drug benefit the government is penalizing them every year that they don't apply for it. It is not cost worthy for a healthy person on Social Security to get the drug benefit, but heaven help them if they run into bad health later on, didn't apply, and the government penalizes them for their decision.
Our 'government' healthcare is only for the lazy, the babymakers who are overpopulating the earth while breeding the same kind of behavior and illegal aliens. Of course what do our politicians have to worry about? Their healthcare is FREE!!!!!!!!!!
Everyone that actually WORKS as a healthcare PROVIDER (lab tech, nurse, doctor, office assistant even) knows about the level of fraud and abuse that is unimaginable to the average person. It only takes a few people to wreck the system because of the enormous amounts of money that can be sucked up by a few.

then consider that Illinois has darn near NO OB/GYN docs that accept Illinois Medicade because Governor Blogo won't pay them. So, the medicades sign up for Indiana (4th, 5th, 6th baby) under a friend or relative's address in Gary and or Hammond. they even drive Illinois plated cars and have Illinois drivers licenses. When office staff call to report the fraud, the caseworkers just hang up - forgettaboutit. And when labor begins, they go to their nearest Illinois hospital (thats where they live!) and Indiana pays the Illinois hospital bill. "The baby-dady" accompanies the unwed to the doctor, too. And the daddy is listed on the doctors forms. But medicade makes no effort to collect anything from the daddy.
BU Pharmacy Grad

Springfield, IL

#247 Jan 6, 2008
No offense, I would get a better job.
sid erenwald

Indianapolis, IN

#248 Jan 6, 2008
DavidM wrote:
<quoted text>
Helping others is not the problem here. it’s the ones who sit there with their hands out everyday without trying to improve their own situations. The ones who spends their money on drugs and alcohol is our problem. The ones how gets a runny nose and runs to the hospital ER. That is our “problem”
Here is my situation: I am planning on retiring on April 25 and I will do this without heath coverage. I still will make to much money for any state program, but it is my choice to do this. So, do you think that people should step up to the plate and help me with coverage when I have a personal choice of continue working still I am sixty-five? No, I will find a plan that I can afford with my income that will cover at least part of my medicinal expenses and not look for you to “help” me out because its my choices in life.
very well said
Don

Baltimore, MD

#249 Jan 6, 2008
anon wrote:
how about this, if you are the cause of the disease, it's all on you. If you are fat, no diabetes,asthma, or cardiac treatment. If you smoke, no cancer treatment. If you smoke/drink/etc during pregnancy, no pre or post natal care.
start taking responsibiltiy for yourselves
I think you have a good point.
Gene Autry for President

Noblesville, IN

#250 Jan 6, 2008
This is the first thread I have seen in months that a majority of the posts agree! All the ghetto defenders must be watching football:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
looking for benzos (Apr '14) 3 hr bville 2
where can I get a rig in indy. please answer dast 3 hr bville 3
Heroin where to buy 3 hr bville 5
What's the future for Indiana Republicans? Do ... 22 hr Clyde 2
News Police investigate father's shooting of son (Feb '07) Apr 22 Graden 52
News Earth Day archive: How invasive carp turned a H... Apr 22 Tod 1
News Two Evansville men arraigned on dogfighting cha... (Mar '08) Apr 22 Haha 44
BUYERS BEWARE - Junk John Deere Lawn tractors a... (Sep '11) Apr 20 really 127
More from around the web

Indianapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]