Shut out by Medicaid

Shut out by Medicaid

There are 307 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 6, 2008, titled Shut out by Medicaid. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Indiana's Medicaid program spends nearly $6 billion a year to help about 1 million Hoosiers with health-care needs ranging from childbirth to nursing home care.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Regina

West Manchester, OH

#2 Jan 6, 2008
This is so sad that the legal residents can not get the medical care they need. Here is one way to help cut the cost DEPORTATION!!!! When we quilified for medicaid, the doctors office we went to was full of mexicans. They do not deserve to get the medical care that they do not contibute to. My family has been here in the United States for many years and has paid their debt to sociaty by going to war and paying taxes and learning english. The state needs to stop paying for anchor babies and worry about their own people first.
hmmmm

Brownsburg, IN

#3 Jan 6, 2008
We have a military that can take over most countries in a week. We balk at health care for our own people. Where are our prioroties?

Since: Nov 07

detroit

#4 Jan 6, 2008
Regina wrote:
This is so sad that the legal residents can not get the medical care they need. Here is one way to help cut the cost DEPORTATION!!!! When we quilified for medicaid, the doctors office we went to was full of mexicans. They do not deserve to get the medical care that they do not contibute to. My family has been here in the United States for many years and has paid their debt to sociaty by going to war and paying taxes and learning english. The state needs to stop paying for anchor babies and worry about their own people first.
Since you are part of the problem and not part of the solution you shouldn't complain. I guess you should have planned better for your health care. Maybe getting a better education and earning more money. Possibly providing your own coverage. Here you are getting something for free at the the expense of tax payers and all you are doing is complaining. I would rather you just say "thank you". Quit being a drain on society and pay your own way. The way I see it, you are no better then the illegals you chastise.
Crack down

Crown Point, IN

#5 Jan 6, 2008
Stop the abuse of this system and maybe more people who actually need it can get it. When you have able bodied people, who could work,and who are under the belief that they are entitled to receive medicare/medicaid, welfare, etc etc. we have a problem. When these same people call an ambulance to take them to the emergency room for a headache, then they are allowed to call a cab to get home after they waste the resources in the emergency rooms to get their aspirin all at the taxpayers expense, we have a problem. Crack down and control the abuse in this system or make these people get a job that provides them with insurance. Many are abusing this system and the government knows it. They won't do anything about it.

Since: Nov 07

detroit

#6 Jan 6, 2008
hmmmm wrote:
We have a military that can take over most countries in a week. We balk at health care for our own people. Where are our prioroties?
You are suggesting that we cut military spending and put more money into health care??? How about if people just start paying their own way and not rely on everybody else to foot the bill?
Maybe you are right.....a weak military and more freebies for the dregs. Suuuuure is a great plan. I for one will opt for the strong military in lieu of taking care of the bums.
Cynthia

Delaware, OH

#7 Jan 6, 2008
I don't blame Illegal Immigrants for the Medicaid problem but the Indiana State Government for the problem. I do not feel any of of State Leaders have the care and benefit of Hoosier's at heart.
I took total care of our 3 children and my late husband these last 5 years that he had Cancer. He died this past August from the third bout with cancer. Then he got a Pauper's burial. The casket was a cloth covered Casket. All it is basically is cardboard and some plywood covered in cloth. He couldn't get life insurance because of his medical history.
I couldn't find anyone or any agency to help with his care so I could work.
The only help I got from the Welfare was Foodstamps and Medicaid for the children. He nor I qualified for the Medicaid part. He had Social Security and the Welfare Agency said I was able bodied to work. How can you work if no one, who is responsible enough, is there to care for a terminally ill person?
And the current experiment with the Welfare in Northeast Indiana has caused more problems for the people of Indiana then I think it has helped.
I am planning to move from Indiana. I just don't feel anyone from the Governor on down have our real best interest at heart.

Since: Dec 06

Indianapolis

#8 Jan 6, 2008
How many other programs have we read about in the past year that the "poor" can get. Can I borrow a couple of kids so I can get almost free healthcare?
ErodingPatience

Greenwood, IN

#9 Jan 6, 2008
Here's a concise translation...
ONLY one out of five people in the state on welfare!!! Only $16,000,000.00 a day given to people who have not earned it!'An Outrage! Our draconian practic of requiring people to pay for services MUST be addressed! FREE breakfast in a Free bed for Everyone! I DEMAND it!
sick and tired

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Jan 6, 2008
I work in the ER. I can tell you there
is no shortage of people with medicaid.
The problem is we need to give it to the people that need it and stop giving
it to women that keep having children they can't afford, grown people that
just dont want to work, and hispanics.
How do people from another country
come here and get free health insurance
when our state is struggling so much?
They can't speak english, but they
know how to get medicaid. Also, they
need to make people follow guidelines,
such as seeing a primary care doctor
instead of running to a level one
trauma center by ambulance for a sorethroat. People pay alot of money
to get coverage through their jobs
and if we don't follow the insurance
rules, the bill is on us. People
need to take some responsibility for
themselves. And I am not talking
about the elderly and handicapped.
They shoould be entitled to some
help, BUT LAZY PEOPLE LOOKING FOR A
FREE RIDE NEED TO BE CUT OFF.
I cannot tell you the number of times
people come in and have Gucci purses,
cell phones and cigarettes, but they
medicaid. I want Gucci and a cell
phone. But I know I have to prioritize.
We need to stop the bleeding!!!

Since: Sep 07

Indianapolis, IN (USA)

#11 Jan 6, 2008
This article is fascinating and frightening.

So what is the price of our collective morality? That seems to be the issue for those unaffected. We know the issues of those affected. They are ill and seek to be well and cannot afford to become well or maintain health without assistance.(Which is a rather pleasant way of sterilizing the fact that people are sick and dying, isn't it?) To which someone will undoubtedly question "well...HOW sick are they?" And indeed, it is in these finer definitions concerning what should be covered and what cannot be that extremist stands are too often taken.

So the issue seems to be trying to come up with a price tag that balances the precarious edge between how we would all like to envision ourselves as a collective society of caring human beings -and- what we are willing to sacrifice for that self-perception.

What are we willing to sacrifice of ourselves for total strangers? Always a tough question. Many respond to it by numbing themselves to the presence of the problem. Others would martyr themselves at the drop of a hat. Both are extremes and would seem an unworkable solution for the whole. Much like the article suggests, the answer lies somewhere within the subtle soils in between. I do not envy the people whose job this is to decide such things.

One thing if for certain (at least to my mind)...almost any extremist comment made here about this article loses all it's validity for it's argument being too far away from the median of any realistic solution.

But we all have both our opinions and our right to express them, don't we?
Lake County Resident

United States

#12 Jan 6, 2008
Cut is the easy thing to do for a politician. Going after and finding the waste in these programs would be a better solution. In business when budgets start to get out of control. They usually analyze some of the problems and fix them. Just cutting is last resorts. If there is waste in the process of government and you do some cutting. The government waste will continue, just with less of a budget. We also have a bad attitude in our state, if the leadership can't find a way to fix a problem, just lease it!
A Thinker

Florence, KY

#13 Jan 6, 2008
Our state estimates we have 350,000 "working poor,"-people who don't qualify for Medicaid and cannot afford private insurance. Heartless, cold reality seems to be the Hoosier way of life.

Regardless of your belief in that number does not matter. What does matter is the perception of Indiana Healthcare. Well, just like education and many other areas in our state, people here do not care enough about improving or being polite and will continue to respond with get up and go to work and do things within the boundaries of state/federal laws. However, if you are sick or unable to work in Indiana that is your problem and people will not care to help-please move if you have a problem.

Personally, I'll continue to choose helping others and accept the brand of being too nice of a person while here.
Dont forget

Australia

#14 Jan 6, 2008
Yo borwnsburgtransplant or should I say insensitive jerk. The story said 40% of Hoosiers who work, have jobs that don't offer healthcare. This is bigger than a few freeloaders. I am a Hoosier who lives in Sydney. Funny how a country with the GDP is Ohio, Australia, has free healthcare for all and richer people can get Private, better care. Drive around here and they live as nice as at home, actually nicer because Syndey is a paradise compared to Indiana.

Housing is expensive but that has nothing to do with Healthcare here. Unemployment is also lower as well. It's a sham that the richest country in the world can't help it's own people. Maybe it because we spend 600 billion a year on defense - more than all the world combined plus 10%.

Seems like we have our priorities right because Iraq was such a threat which by the way, we made worse. This is only going to get worse. Maybe, borwnsburgtransplant, you'll get sick and lose you job one day and then have to lose everything before you can qualify for free healthcare is the US. Oh and since you live in the Bible belt and most of my hometown Hoosiers are so religious, did Jesus ask people if the were "in network" with his PPO before he healed them?

They say America is the best country in the world, but I'd say Australia actually is a better place to live. Not only that but the US doesn't even rank in the top 10 in quality of life - quantity yes but who needs a lot of stuff when you're not happy.
brownsburgtransplant wrote:
<quoted text>
You are suggesting that we cut military spending and put more money into health care??? How about if people just start paying their own way and not rely on everybody else to foot the bill?
Maybe you are right.....a weak military and more freebies for the dregs. Suuuuure is a great plan. I for one will opt for the strong military in lieu of taking care of the bums.
Dont forget

Australia

#15 Jan 6, 2008
PS actually immigrants are an issue. When I worked in insurance in the US, I worked a drug therapy called Synagis that was for premature infants. They needed 3-6 shots or 3-6 months. Each shot cost $1,500 to $3,000. It seemed like 80% of the Medicaid users for this program were Mexicans, not black or white and they barely spoke English.

Cost may also be a problem. In the US I think a CAT scan cost 2-3K, in Australia it's $300 if you are paying cash. Well, I guess that's what makes America sooooo wonderful. Don't fool yourselves folks, there's not much the US has they don't have here except cheaper housing, and better service. I can sacrifice that for a better life. I mean Chicago has expensive housing. Throw in universal healthcare, and a guaranteed 401K a every job of 9% that you don't contribute and I think the US is ripping its citizens off.

I still cheer for the Colts though.

Since: Dec 06

Indianapolis

#16 Jan 6, 2008
A Thinker wrote:
Our state estimates we have 350,000 "working poor,"-people who don't qualify for Medicaid and cannot afford private insurance. Heartless, cold reality seems to be the Hoosier way of life.
Regardless of your belief in that number does not matter. What does matter is the perception of Indiana Healthcare. Well, just like education and many other areas in our state, people here do not care enough about improving or being polite and will continue to respond with get up and go to work and do things within the boundaries of state/federal laws. However, if you are sick or unable to work in Indiana that is your problem and people will not care to help-please move if you have a problem.
Personally, I'll continue to choose helping others and accept the brand of being too nice of a person while here.
Helping others is not the problem here. it’s the ones who sit there with their hands out everyday without trying to improve their own situations. The ones who spends their money on drugs and alcohol is our problem. The ones how gets a runny nose and runs to the hospital ER. That is our “problem”

Here is my situation: I am planning on retiring on April 25 and I will do this without heath coverage. I still will make to much money for any state program, but it is my choice to do this. So, do you think that people should step up to the plate and help me with coverage when I have a personal choice of continue working still I am sixty-five? No, I will find a plan that I can afford with my income that will cover at least part of my medicinal expenses and not look for you to “help” me out because its my choices in life.
Mr No Compassion

Schiller Park, IL

#17 Jan 6, 2008
It is a very simple fix that will save billions. If you aren't handicapped you get no FREE insurance.
Im sherman and im dyeing

Columbus, IN

#18 Jan 6, 2008
I have lived here in indianapolis since 1979 and work every year on july 16th 2007 i had a quad cabbage done to my heart one week after surg my insurance stop i needed meds to at least try to get better the Dr,s stated five times im lucky to be alive i apply for medacaid and was denied what do i do does the goverment cares what happen to me wishard hosp has a progran 5.00$ for every bottle of medacation sound good where do i get the money im dont working i can, work anymore per dr,s can only lift up 10lbs or less i was a construction worker at the colts new football stadium until this happen to me i was on 12 bottles of medacation now its down to 9 btls i don,t have the money i been through all the resource that the center township and wishard says to try im 53 yrs old and as i sit here this sunday morning thinking what about the people older then me thats needs the same help i really never ask for help but im asking now wut do i do i,ve been in the hosptial nine other times since this has accured on dec 31,2007 as an out patient i had surg done again one of my artries had collaps the dr,s from methodist hosp. put stiens metal tubes to replace the bad arterie its not promise how long this will last methodist thanks you for the time you have given me.i mean that with all my heart as for the dr,s you know who you are thanks as for the state/goverment/medicaid my eyes open not afraid of dyeing got god on my side
Tired of it All

United States

#19 Jan 6, 2008
Try looking at the Medicaid situation from my end. I have a child who is disabled and now is an adult. I legally can put him on my companies health insurance but they found "reasons" not to cover him. So that forced him on Medicaid and he isn't receiving the care he needs for his disability.
The working people try to provide for their disabled loved ones, but corporate america doesnt' want their insurance rates to raise so find ways to not allow them on their insurance, forcing them back onto Medicaid.
T-Mag

United States

#20 Jan 6, 2008
Wow, since Medicaid was enacted in the early 70's the states and federal government have spent a combined of like 10 TRILLION dollars on programs for the poor, yet there are more poor? Did they know that was going to happen? We went through the Bill Clinton 90's with a broiling economy, how come more people keep slipping into poverty?
American

Sidney, OH

#21 Jan 6, 2008
Why don't you start making hispanics pay taxes the same as we do,its ok for them to come to our country and get anything they want FREE,thanks to the goverment if you would start making them pay taxes like we do our country wouldn't be in the shape its in.If you taxed them like you do us,we wouldn't have to pay a high cost for medical coverage,I'm sick of them getting all of our benfits.If you taxed them like you do us maybe we would have back our billions that we lost.And get Mitch Daniels the hell out of there before we become a ghost town.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dancers body found 8 hr WeCare 6
Bye Medicaid, we will miss you 8 hr TrumpedBernie 3
Bernie Sanders bank Fraud 8 hr TrumpedBernie 1
Pence’s $7 million bribe to Carrier officially ... 18 hr Impeach Mike Pence 1
Pence holds secret meeting with money-man Koch 18 hr Mike got the Trum... 1
Trump bluff on White House tapes wasn’t just di... 18 hr Beware Russian Pu... 3
After Trump "deal", layoffs set to begin next m... 18 hr Beware Russian Pu... 8

Indianapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance