Gays now costing you money.

Gays now costing you money.

Posted in the Indianapolis Forum

Since: Dec 06

Indianapolis

#1 Dec 13, 2013
Just got my social security information today. Included in the letter was the following:

Benefits for Same-sex Couples
Due to a Supreme Court decision, we now are able to pay benefits to some same-sex couples. We encourage people who think they may be able to apply now. Learn more at www.socialsecurity.gov/same-sexcouples .

The web site states: On June 26, 2013, the Supreme Court ruled that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is unconstitutional. Social Security is now processing some retirement spouse claims for same-sex couples and paying benefits where they are due. We continue to work closely with the Department of Justice. In the coming weeks and months, we will develop and implement additional policy and processing instructions. If you are in a same-sex marriage or other legal same-sex relationship, even if you live in a state that prohibits same-sex marriage, we encourage you to apply right away.

This can only mean one thing. Get ready to pay more into your social security account.
seriously

Fishers, IN

#2 Dec 13, 2013
DavidM wrote:
Just got my social security information today. Included in the letter was the following:
Due to a Supreme Court decision, we now are able to pay benefits to some same-sex couples. We encourage people who think they may be able to apply now. Learn more at www.socialsecurity.gov/same-sexcouples .
The web site states: On June 26, 2013, the Supreme Court ruled that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is unconstitutional. Social Security is now processing some retirement spouse claims for same-sex couples and paying benefits where they are due. We continue to work closely with the Department of Justice. In the coming weeks and months, we will develop and implement additional policy and processing instructions. If you are in a same-sex marriage or other legal same-sex relationship, even if you live in a state that prohibits same-sex marriage, we encourage you to apply right away.
This can only mean one thing. Get ready to pay more into your social security account.
They've already been paying into your benefits. Now it's equal. Get over it.
Lincoln Plowman

Delaware, OH

#3 Dec 13, 2013
DavidM wrote:
Think you child bride could collect SS for 80 years.

Indianapolis

#4 Dec 13, 2013
No because by the time she is able to collect SS. it will be far gone.
Lincoln Plowman wrote:
<quoted text>
Think you child bride could collect SS for 80 years.
Republican

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Dec 13, 2013
DavidM wrote:
No because by the time she is able to collect SS. it will be far gone. <quoted text>
You been saying that for 20 years now. But if we have or had it our way we would have done away with it by now.

Indianapolis

#6 Dec 13, 2013
Here you go. Not my words but very true. So get ready to pay up.

As I pointed out in my recent Bloomberg op ed, Social Security is desperately broke — 31 percent underfunded to be exact. This is not my opinion. This is Social Security’s own measure of its unfunded liability contained in table IVB6 of its most recent Trustees Report.

The table’s a bit hard to decipher, but it shows that the system short $20.5 trillion in present value. It needs a 31 percent immediate and permanent increase in annual revenues to pay, over time, all of Social Security’s promised benefits. That’s close to a 4 percentage-point payroll tax hike! If we wait 20 years, the 31 percent figure rises to 50 percent, which translates into a 6.2 percentage-point tax hike. http://www.forbes.com/sites/kotlikoff/2012/07...
Republican wrote:
<quoted text>You been saying that for 20 years now. But if we have or had it our way we would have done away with it by now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sources: Dog trainer reaches agreement with city 21 hr blackoaks1 1
Michelle from the WH stops in at Opies Place Fri Amy 1
MCSO inmate search on their website. (Sep '12) Fri Yessir 3
News Neighbors in custom homes put up a fight with P... (Jan '11) Dec 1 lavon affair 95
Obama is so smiling at Hllary Loss Dec 1 TrumpPenceRock 1
Industrial Maintenance Job Fair - Honda Manufac... Dec 1 Lori Legge 1
Nibiru Safe Zones Dec 1 PlanetX 1

Indianapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages