Illegal immigration bill is about hum...

Illegal immigration bill is about human rights, not racism, aut...

There are 450 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 10, 2008, titled Illegal immigration bill is about human rights, not racism, aut.... In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Delph Dreyer & Reinbold BMW VW Great Deals at Dreyer & Reinbold Greenwood on New and Pre-Owned Certified BMW, Infiniti, Volkswagen and now Subaru!. Click for Details! Dreyer & Reinbold Infiniti Great Lease ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Since: Feb 08

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Feb 11, 2008
I really wish Delph would be a man and stop trying to appease the small minority of people who oppose this. Most people are completely behind this measure and the special interest groups who are against it are advocating on the behalf of, by and large, non-US citizens. The phony cry of racism is usually the first refuge of those who can't formulate a persuasive fact-based position. What's most amusing about this entire situation is that the country which has supplied the majority of illegal aliens which would be affected by this measure, Mexico, has governmental policies which are far more restrictive and xenophobic than the United States could ever dream of. Just ask the Nicaraguans or Guatemalans trying to enter Mexico from the south about Mexican policies regarding illegal aliens or property rights of non-Mexicans in Mexico. Mexico and its advocates lecturing others on these matters is laughable.
G Rice

Dayton, OH

#2 Feb 11, 2008
We need more legislators like Sen. Delph. The illegals and gimme-gimme's do not have a voice in anything and we don't need to worry how they manage to leave the country, just leave.
Republican

Chicago, IL

#3 Feb 11, 2008
The problem is people like Senator Delph claim it's only about "illegal" immigration yet they never support immigration reform. The economy clearly needs these workers yet they don't want to reform the system to allow them to be here legally. Delph needs to stop pretending he's just against "illegal" immigration. He's against all immigration.
Big O

Fort Wayne, IN

#4 Feb 11, 2008
Don`t give in to big business or anyone else against your bill. You are right on target.

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Feb 11, 2008
Republican wrote:
The problem is people like Senator Delph claim it's only about "illegal" immigration yet they never support immigration reform. The economy clearly needs these workers yet they don't want to reform the system to allow them to be here legally. Delph needs to stop pretending he's just against "illegal" immigration. He's against all immigration.
The economy clearly needs these workers? How do you figure that? I know it's a common excuse that is made, but there's plenty of room for intelligent and informed people to question that statement. What do you mean by saying the economy needs these workers? And what sort of immigration reform are you suggesting?
Shelbyville Grandma

Panama City, FL

#6 Feb 11, 2008
Senator Delph - I wish you represented my district so I could actively campaign for you! I also wish my State Senator would get off his duff and come to your aid!

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Feb 11, 2008
Thank you, Senator Delph, and thanks to the Star for publishing his interview and giving him a fair chance to speak.
WIR

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Feb 11, 2008
Funny thing, I notice two articles in this morning press. One is jabbing on the police for letting a possible drunk driver walk, the other, in so many words, is questioning/bashing the possibility of law enforcement arresting FELONS!! Illegal entry into this country is a FELONY people!!

The illegals in this country play games. They make a joke out of our legal system. They think it's funny. It is. An illegal can walk into any Indiana license branch and legally register a car!! No license required!! No insurance required!! There is something basically wrong with that. They don't care about a license or insurance, they drive anywhere anytime.

We need to get tough on these illegals, any illegals. They are a drain on this state, a huge drain. They make a mockery out of our system. We can not afford them, we do not need them, we do not want them. If you want to come to this country, do it the right/legal way.
Good for You

Cardington, OH

#9 Feb 11, 2008
I agree that those who are throwing around the race card are doing so in hopes of distracting from the point that we need to take care of the problem the illegals cause to the economy and homeland security. The benefit to business from having workers who can be taken advantage of does not filter down into the local tax base unless it is through sales tax. So good for you Mike, keep throwing the "law card".
n m p 1

United States

#10 Feb 11, 2008
What the economy needs is for the lazy people we already have to get off welfare and take the jobs the illegals are doing
interested citizen

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Feb 11, 2008
My husband worked 59 years,paid taxes, served his country in the military, has never broken the law, yet he was searched at the airport like a common criminal, he didn't complain. He thought it was in the best interest of our country. The illegal's are felon's and the law should spare no one.

Since: Jul 07

Indianapolis

#12 Feb 11, 2008
Wow! The first thing I noticed was the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce complaining about Senator Delph and his bill......WHAT?? We now have a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce? Do we also have an African American Chamber of Commerce? And a German Chamber of Commerce?? How about an Italian one? Or Irish? What is hell is going on here? Used to be this country was made up of the phrase from many, one. Guess not anymore. Everyone wants to have the same name and rights as they did in their native land and not be Americans. If you can't be a plain American, please go back where you came from! We don't need or want you here...
Dennis_Daviess Co

River Falls, WI

#13 Feb 11, 2008
n m p 1 wrote:
What the economy needs is for the lazy people we already have to get off welfare and take the jobs the illegals are doing
You couldn't have said it any better than that. There has never been a more true statement than you just made right here. Keep up the good work.
citizenrlh

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Feb 11, 2008
House Speaker Patrick Bauer is holding up further consideration to this bill by not introducing it to the House committee (let alone the full House).

Perhaps it would be beneficial for him to hear from you.

[email protected]

“Loving this Colts' era!”

Since: Jan 08

Waynetown, IN

#15 Feb 11, 2008
We do not have enough law enforcement officers to do their jobs now. I dont want my state policeman or town marshall to do the job the Federal Govt is suppose to be doing. Our state and local police are not immigration officers.
Mike

Converse, IN

#16 Feb 11, 2008
Man, talk about easy questions....the reporter was throwing up softballs for him to hit. How about some real reporting...throw if a few tough questions???
Paul

Phoenix, AZ

#18 Feb 11, 2008
Now .... I hope the following 14 reasons are forwarded over and over again until they are read so many times that the reader gets sick of reading them. I have included the URL's for verification of all the following facts.

1.$11 Billion to $22 billion is spent on welfare to illegal aliens each year.

http://tinyurl.com/zob77

2.$2.2 Billion dollars a year is spent on food assistance programs such as food stamps, WIC, and free school lunches for illegal aliens.

http://www.cis.org/articles/2004/fiscalexec.h...

3.$2.5 Billion dollars a year is spent on Medicaid for illegal aliens.

http://www.cis.org/articles/2004/fiscalexec.h...

4.$12 Billion dollars a year is spent on primary and secondary school education for children here illegally and they cannot speak a word of English!

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0604/0...

5.$17 Billion dollars a year is spent for education for the American-born children of illegal aliens, known as anchor

babies.

6.$3 Million Dollars a DAY is spent to incarcerate illegal aliens.

7. 30% percent of all Federal Prison inmates are illegal aliens.

8.$90 Billion Dollars a year is spent on illegal aliens for Welfare & social services by the American taxpayers.

http://premium.cnn.com/TRANSCIPTS/0610/29/ldt...

9.$200 Billion Dollars a year in suppressed American wages are caused by the illegal aliens.

10. The illegal aliens in the United States have a crime rate that's two and a half times that of white non-illegal aliens. In particular, their children, are going to make a huge additional crime problem in the US

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0606/1...

11. During the year of 2005 there were 4 to 10 MILLION illegal aliens that crossed our Southern Border also, as many as 19,500 illegal aliens from Terrorist Countries. Millions of pounds of drugs, cocaine, meth, heroine and marijuana, crossed into the U. S from the Southern border.

Homeland Security Report: http://tinyurl.com/t9sht

12. The National Policy Institute, "estimated that the total cost of mass deportation would be between $206 and $230 billion or an average cost of between $41 and $46 billion annually over a five year period."

http://www.nationalpolicyinstitute.org/pdf/de...

13. In 2006 illegal aliens sent home $45 BILLION in remittances back to their countries of origin.

http://www.rense.com/general75/niht.htm

14. "The Dark Side of Illegal Immigration: Nearly One Million Sex Crimes Committed by Illegal Immigrants In The

United States ".

http://www.drdsk.com/articleshtml

The total cost is a whopping .$ 338.3 BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR

Are we THAT stupid??? If this doesn't bother you then just delete the message. If, on the other hand, if it does raise the hair on the back of your neck, I hope you forward it to every legal resident in the country including every representative in Washington, D.C.- five times a week for as long as it takes to restore some semblance of intelligence in our policies and enforcement thereof
Jesse

Miamisburg, OH

#19 Feb 11, 2008
It seems anyone opposed to illigal immigration is a "racist".
Anyone sick of slavery on the welgfare plantation is a "racist".
Anyone that believes all people are created equal and demand equal treatment and standards is a "racist".

Racist...racist...racist. There was a time when we small government types were facists.
Those labels have been used so much that true racism and facism have beed defind down to the point people will forget what it really is.

Do not worry about labesl attached by liberals and fight on. The Hispanic Chamber can shove it!
Tacos for all.
oh yeah

Columbus, IN

#20 Feb 11, 2008
...Then, with time, the squatters were no longer squatters, but owners; and their children grew up and had children on the land. And the hunger was gone from them, the feral hunger, the gnawing, tearing hunger for land, for water and earth and the good sky over it, for the green thrusting grass, for the swelling roots. They had these things so completely that they did not know about them anymore. They had no more the stomach-tearing lust for a rich acre and a shining blade to plow it, for seed and a windmill beating its wings in the air. They arose in the dark no more to hear the sleepy birds' first chittering, and the morning wind around the house while they waited for the first light to go out to the dear acres. These things were lost, and crops were reckoned in dollars, and land was valued by principal plus interest, and crops were bought and sold before they were planted. Then crop failure, drought, and flood were no longer little deaths within life, but simple losses of money. And all their love was thinned with money, and all their fierceness dribbled away in interest until they were no longer farmers at all, but little shopkeepers of crops, little manufacturers who must sell before they can make.
...As time went on, the business men had the farms, and the farms grew larger, but there were fewer of them.
Now farming became industry, and the owners followed Rome, although they did not know it. They imported slaves, although they did not call them slaves: Chinese, Japanese, Mexicans, Filipinos. They live on rice and beans, the business men said. They don't need much. They wouldn't know what to do with good wages. Why, look how they live. Why, look what they eat. And if they get funny - deport them.
Hispanic US citizen

Redwood City, CA

#21 Feb 11, 2008
WIR wrote:
Funny thing, I notice two articles in this morning press. One is jabbing on the police for letting a possible drunk driver walk, the other, in so many words, is questioning/bashing the possibility of law enforcement arresting FELONS!! Illegal entry into this country is a FELONY people!!
The illegals in this country play games. They make a joke out of our legal system. They think it's funny. It is. An illegal can walk into any Indiana license branch and legally register a car!! No license required!! No insurance required!! There is something basically wrong with that. They don't care about a license or insurance, they drive anywhere anytime.
We need to get tough on these illegals, any illegals. They are a drain on this state, a huge drain. They make a mockery out of our system. We can not afford them, we do not need them, we do not want them. If you want to come to this country, do it the right/legal way.
I am hispanic. I became a US citizen three years ago. I know FOR A FACT, that illegals make fun or our system. Their nerve is unbelivable. They walk around getting free school books and lunches for their illegal children, they get arrested for crimes and they are OUT on bond or OR'd!!!! They go to jail for a crime and THEY WALK OUT!!! so, if they see that they are not deported after comitting a felony, they continue to mock our system!
it is ridiculous.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Spiro Agnew (Nov '14) 14 hr OPERATION GLADIO 11
Carriage House East Apts (Jun '13) Aug 25 The REAL Moon God... 16
Custody attorney Aug 25 Ealj1818 3
Closing of the Marion County Children's Guardia... (Apr '09) Aug 24 Iansane90 35
Bruce Springsteen sucks anyways Aug 24 Ivyawe 7
does pepsi drug test? which type? (Jul '14) Aug 24 Amanda 20
News Local restaurant included in statewide money la... Aug 24 ok 3

Indianapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages