49th and College project gets examine...

49th and College project gets examiner's approval

There are 30 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 25, 2008, titled 49th and College project gets examiner's approval. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A Metropolitan Development Commission hearing examiner will recommend approval of a $15 million commercial and residential development project that drew concern in the Meridian Kessler area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
MK resident

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Jan 25, 2008
Do it.
Tax payer

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Jan 25, 2008
As long as Hinterberger doesn't get any state or federal tax money for his little project, and does it with private capital, then OK.

But who in the heck will want a 400 sq ft apartment? My garage is bigger than that, and it's not a big garage.
Disenchanted Urbanite

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Jan 25, 2008
Taxpayer, this project is a giant tangled web of corporate welfare. Millions of dollars are being applied for from the state and federal housing authorities.

Why do you think the affordable housing component was thrown in? To get lots of government funding and recoup the investment for the developer.
The only reason that I didn't attend any of the meetings or the hearing was that I fear reprisal. There is massive collusion among realtors, the MKNA, community groups, and liberal uplifters to make this project happen. It is being railroaded through and some people will seemingly stop at nothing to make it happen.

Remonstration is rarely worth the hassle unless you can marshall lots of evidence against, especially when the magic words "affordable housing" appear. In my case, I'm just moving out of MK permanently. The retail shops and housing project has some good features, but won't be a good fit for this corner. It is a solution that fits specific economic and government program constraints, and will not be an organic component of the neighborhood.
wow

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Jan 25, 2008
Disenchanted Urbanite wrote:
Remonstration is rarely worth the hassle unless you can marshall lots of evidence against, especially when the magic words "affordable housing" appear. In my case, I'm just moving out of MK permanently. The retail shops and housing project has some good features, but won't be a good fit for this corner. It is a solution that fits specific economic and government program constraints, and will not be an organic component of the neighborhood.
Bye.:)
disbelief

Brownsburg, IN

#6 Jan 25, 2008
he is going to recieve state funding, Tiff and another...which is a glorified term for welfare.
and you are incorrect on the lowest squr. ftage. it is about 350-375
Tax payer wrote:
As long as Hinterberger doesn't get any state or federal tax money for his little project, and does it with private capital, then OK.
But who in the heck will want a 400 sq ft apartment? My garage is bigger than that, and it's not a big garage.
Lost in the details

Brownsburg, IN

#7 Jan 26, 2008
It is obvious, reading about the proposed plan preceeding this one, that what was proposed and what people hailed and the reality of what is about to happened wasn't clear or clearly defined. Those for it, I think, think it was going to be retail shops and condos/apartments, but the reality is this is low income housing ranging from a combined salary of $18,000-$50,00, the latter falling under mix-income. None are condos, all are apartments as well as rentals. 72 units and what seems to me as going to a conjested area...what were the residents thinking? Have you ever bought a house site unseen or a car based soley on what the salesman tells you? NO! you do your research and I think the residents were sold or suck in a way that only time will tell them otherwise. I am glad I don't live there...but I have certainly seen this type of thing before...best wishes.
Tax payer

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Jan 26, 2008
disbelief wrote:
he is going to recieve state funding, Tiff and another...which is a glorified term for welfare.
and you are incorrect on the lowest squr. ftage. it is about 350-375
<quoted text>
Directly from the article:

"The apartments would vary from 400 to 875 square feet, developer Leif Hinterberger said."

Do you have another source?

Hinterberger's original proposal was for condos. Now he's gonna be a slumlord
disbelief

AOL

#9 Jan 26, 2008
Tax payer wrote:
<quoted text>
Directly from the article:
"The apartments would vary from 400 to 875 square feet, developer Leif Hinterberger said."
Do you have another source?
Hinterberger's original proposal was for condos. Now he's gonna be a slumlord
Interestingly, the developer's website only shows the old plans, the plans proposed one year ago, which had only 5 apartment units and retail shops in the design.

I have a digital photograph of several slides from the developer's powerpoint presentation, and it appears that the smallest unit is a bit over 350 sq-ft. These are the ones reserved for the residents making 30% of median income.

It's stunning how different the new design is from the old. The developer and his attorney manpulated the MKNA and the nearby residents masterfully. They saw their only choice as continued blight or this development, or Walgreen's.

I would have happily chosen the Walgreen's!
Berne

Hartford City, IN

#10 Jan 27, 2008
The initial proposal indicated shops,restaurants, and apartment living but I do not recall any information about bars or 72 small living areas. If this is indeed the plan then I believe MKNA and neighboring residents have been misled.
local

United States

#12 Jan 27, 2008
That corner is a total eyesore. Even if not ideal, this is a major improvement. Hopefully it can be a catalyst for change on the east side of College. I long for the day when Uncle Arties and the former Steck Plumming building meet the bulldozer.
college crew

United States

#13 Jan 28, 2008
The inital proposal is long gone. The new structure will have 72 low-income housing units with small shops, restaraunts, and some bars mixed in......I can't imagine what the residents bought into but can you imagine the traffic?....this is going to be one big structure....too bog, or way too big, in my opinion for the block. Hmmmmm
Berne wrote:
The initial proposal indicated shops,restaurants, and apartment living but I do not recall any information about bars or 72 small living areas. If this is indeed the plan then I believe MKNA and neighboring residents have been misled.
East

United States

#14 Jan 28, 2008
Yes, it will certainly be a change for the East side of College, where I live. Hopefully it will have many businesses that'll cater to us. I can't wait. We good luandry mat!
local wrote:
That corner is a total eyesore. Even if not ideal, this is a major improvement. Hopefully it can be a catalyst for change on the east side of College. I long for the day when Uncle Arties and the former Steck Plumming building meet the bulldozer.
cmon folks

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Jan 28, 2008
Everyone I've talked with said that this Development would include high-end Condominiums on the upper floors, and Boutique Shops on the lower level. I also heard that it would be funded only by private investors. When did these Plans change?
Pulled one over on You

Houston, TX

#16 Jan 29, 2008
The attorney- Slick Mikey Quinn pulled one over on you unsuspecting fools. It won't be the last time he hoodwinks you.
Hope you enjoy the new ghetto housing.
You get what you deserve.
What are they thinking

Morenci, MI

#17 Jan 29, 2008
cmon folks wrote:
Everyone I've talked with said that this Development would include high-end Condominiums on the upper floors, and Boutique Shops on the lower level. I also heard that it would be funded only by private investors. When did these Plans change?
Things changed when Hinterberger couldn't raise private capital for his boondoggle.

So we changed the whole thing so he could try and get government funding.

I hope he gets turned down.

He's a snake and not to be trusted.
eyes wide open

Euclid, OH

#18 Jan 29, 2008
Can you elaborate? How would we have known?
Pulled one over on You wrote:
The attorney- Slick Mikey Quinn pulled one over on you unsuspecting fools. It won't be the last time he hoodwinks you.
Hope you enjoy the new ghetto housing.
You get what you deserve.
Holey Bucket

United States

#19 Jan 29, 2008
Tax payer wrote:
As long as Hinterberger doesn't get any state or federal tax money for his little project, and does it with private capital, then OK.
But who in the heck will want a 400 sq ft apartment? My garage is bigger than that, and it's not a big garage.
Clearly you have not lived in NYC! I'd say many a
Hoosier educated person will be looking at such
apartments and thinking...."can I afford" that?
Tax payer

Morenci, MI

#21 Jan 29, 2008
Holey Bucket wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly you have not lived in NYC! I'd say many a
Hoosier educated person will be looking at such
apartments and thinking...."can I afford" that?
Indianapolis isn't NYC, thank goodness.
wow

Indianapolis, IN

#22 Jan 29, 2008
This may be one of the most telling threads ever, when it comes to bringing the anti-urban Hoosier bias to light. It really is a good project that brings much-needed density to this corner and provides some retail options for neighborhood residents.
how now wow

Indianapolis, IN

#23 Jan 29, 2008
wow wrote:
This may be one of the most telling threads ever, when it comes to bringing the anti-urban Hoosier bias to light. It really is a good project that brings much-needed density to this corner and provides some retail options for neighborhood residents.
Heh heh... "anti-urban Hoosier bias"

As opposed to the anti-Hoosier urban bias that seems to inform this development?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
14% of US Christians left their churches after ... 3 hr nnono 6
Trump just had his bluff called -- again 3 hr nnono 2
Alex Jones: "Performance Artist" reveals Info w... 6 hr Bye bye Alex 8
Adrienne Vittadini Studio - cheap crap under a ... 6 hr Making China Grea... 1
ObamaSputtering 10 hr TrumpedObamaLegacy 1
Donald Trumpís Contract with the American Voter... 11 hr TrumpedHillary 3
Trump backs away from demand for border wall mo... 11 hr TrumpedHillary 2
BUYERS BEWARE - Junk John Deere Lawn tractors a... (Sep '11) 19 hr Waikiki murders 166

Indianapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages