|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2011

lost on this planet wrote:
Just curios Mad Ashell....what model did you purchase ?? I have a LA 145
Mine is the LA130. I really don't know if the transmission in your tractor is the same or not. I do think that all the 100 series units have "sealed" transmissions.* There is (regardless of what the factory says) apparently the ability (for those who know what they're doing) to open up these transmissions and change the oil to a synthetic. Supposedly, doing this allows the transmission to run cooler and consequently prolong life. THIS SUGGESTION IS ONLY FROM OTHERS HERE ON TOPIX.... THE FACTORY WILL NOT CONFIRM THIS AT ALL - AT LEAST NOT FOR ME. I may try this with the help of someone else that I know who possesses more mechanical aptitude. In the meantime, I'm just paying a guy to cut the grass.
Mad Ashell

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2011

Gees! Voiced a consumer complaint and at the same time tried to help (or keep) folks from making an expensive mistake like I did and all some take from it is an opportunity for political rhetoric. We are truly a nation of idiots. Lots of talk these days about idiots in government... deadlocked in their own bullshit. Seems to me our elected officials are a simple reflection of who we actually are. God help us!
moline

Knox, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2011

It was a normal thread until another nutjob blaming republicans jumped in.... again.
lost on this planet

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2011

Mad Ashell wrote:
Gees! Voiced a consumer complaint and at the same time tried to help (or keep) folks from making an expensive mistake like I did and all some take from it is an opportunity for political rhetoric. We are truly a nation of idiots. Lots of talk these days about idiots in government... deadlocked in their own bullshit. Seems to me our elected officials are a simple reflection of who we actually are. God help us!
Someone always hi-jacks these threads...never fails.
Enter Sandman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2011

moline wrote:
It was a normal thread until another nutjob blaming republicans jumped in.... again.
Is your name Moline or Chaz Boner? You seem to have a gender issue. It's ok. Just because your father touched your an*s late at night doesn't make you gay. It just means your father was doing what his grandfather taught him.

Since: Sep 11

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2011

Wal-Mart and the "Chinese" products SUCK! You save money buying products made out of poorly made products out of parts the may kill you.

Sam Walton is not happy in heaven seeing what is happening at Wal-Mart.

Buy American made products like New Balance shoes.
Oliver Douglas

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

Judged:

OK, the 100 series tractors are crap. Point taken. Not the first to experience that. When you take a very complex item and try to hit a low price point while attempting to be feature-competitive with crap made by MTD and their portfolio of once-respected brands you are on thin ice. Low margins, and tough decisions on every single piece and part of the machine. Some bad choices are not a likelihood, they are a certainty.
At those price points it would be a far better idea to find an older used JD of a higher quality.
Couple other things directed toward the thread hijackers who trashed American workers and union workers.*sigh* I would put my work schedule, and my work ethic and that of my co-workers up against anybody's work schedule and work ethic anywhere in the world. What sent the jobs away was low wages over there of not just the assembly line dogs, but the low wages all the way up the food chain to the chinese CEOs.
It is a situation that will likely reverse itself to some extent in the coming years for a variety of reasons having to do with evolving economies. But china will be replaced by Vietnam and a lot of others over the years.
Its worth noting that the good old U S of A was once the go-to low wage economy at various points in our history. We used to steal intellectual property, employ child labor, and all the rest of the sins we accuse China of.
We in the USA will over time be fine.
As to the Comments about Clinton, BushII, Obama and the "Why don't you get a better job" ConRep. Why would you bring that junk in here when there are so many other interesting ways to look at this situation that don't involve paraphrasing Limbaugh?
It doesn't matter whether your point of view is right or wrong, really. It's worse than wrong, it's stale parroting of party line that lacks the nuance of considered thought. It isn't even germain to the discussion. Polly want a cracker? "Bawwwk! Get a job! Lazy Unions! Obama sucks! Bawwwk!"
Oliver Douglas
sIDNEY cROSBY

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

THE GUY THAT IS TELLING THIS STORY IS HOG-WASH, HE JUST MESSED UP THE OIL AND THE GAS AND SREWED THE ENGINE UP
Mike

Ansonia, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

I particularly love how this article turned from a tractor forum to f_____!politics
Wow
ima hoosier

Greenfield, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

well kids. i had trouble with a deer. i hit him head on and then i had to pay a deductable...so i got a goat and now have no trouble keeping my grass clipped whilst i smoke some of it...(my husband is a deere man and just accused me of being stupid....i told him that i would see him in the mowin)
Michael

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Just wondering...All the John Deere tractors at Lowe's (maybe Home Depot also)get taken out and in each day by the sales associates prior to opening and at closing by pushing with the clutch disengaged. Just wondering what kind of damage, if any, this equates to. I've heard that they do get harder to push and pull as the season progresses. Doesn't make sense to even push a vehicle continuously without (some) lubrication! Just wondering. Would never buy a unit that has been on display like that.
Michael

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2012

<quoted text>
Thank you for the info...hope I didn't jinks myself !!! I can sympathise with your frustration..before I bought this mower I had a Craftsman 19 HP that I spent $1800.00 it last two years...the last time I went to cut the grass in fall it threw a rod..Sears answer was "sorry out of warranty..you should have purchased an extended warranty"...I think the next mower I buy (hopefully not soon) will be an X-Mark ZTR.
Sorry about your Craftsman...had the same machine for 23 years, never had an issue. Sold it to my neighbor when I moved for $200 bucks, she's still using it (3 yrs). Maybe you had a machine that was built on a Monday morning by a hungover mechanic? Anyway, I now have a John Deere D110, 100 hrs on it, have changed the oil twice, no problems yet. Got it at Lowe's, factory rep inspected, Dealer is 2 miles away, has a 4 yr warranty, they even fixed a flat for free! Keeping fingers crossed!
tractor

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Sounds like you got a lemon !! I bought mine in 2006 from Lowes...21 HP, Hydrostatic sealed transmission also...no trouble from this mower what so ever. Currently has 302 hours..I cut about 2.5 acres. Sorry for your luck...I would think JD could do better than $250
all commercial tractors trans are contracted out.......INCLUDING WHAT YOU GET FROM THE DEALER

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

Mad Ashell wrote:
Buyers Beware !!!! The John Deere lawn tractors sold at the Lowes stores are NOT what you think they are. I moved to Tennessee 10 years back (June of 2002) with what was then a 20 year old little 10HP Simplicity with a gear box. It was wore out but lasted 5 more years here before it finally died a slow death. In June of 2007, I purchased a 21 HP John Deere tractor with hydrostatic drive. I thought and was told I was buying a terrific machine that would last for many years if not be the last lawn tractor Iíd ever own. My thinking was that a 21HP tractor was ridiculous overkill to mow the grass but surely it would outlast the little Simplicity I had and spread out over 20 plus years wasnít going to be all that bad. What a joke!
IN JUST OVER 100 HOURS OF USE IN 4 YEARS the Deereís transmission is going bad and hereís the deal.... the transmissions in these tractors are sealed units (meaning theyíre not serviceable)- made in Morristown, TN. by a company called Tough Torque. The only thing you can do if they go bad is replace the entire transmission at an authorized dealership *** WHICH IS GOING TO BE $1,000. I called the John Deere factory to see if I could get any help in the matter and they kindly offered me $250.00 toward the bill. Further, it wasnít good enough that I already knew the transmission was going out... in order to see if help from the factory was possible, I had to take my tractor to a dealer and get charged $100.00 just for the confirming diagnosis. What a ridiculous way to treat a customer. I will never buy another John Deere product and plan to warn as many people as I can that these tractors are just expensive junk.
For what itís worth, Iíve spoken to the Cub Cadet people as well as the Simplicity folks in my area about their new tractors and believe it or not they admit their tractors arenít worth a crap either until you get up into the 4 to 5 thousand dollar range. At least they were honest about it upfront.
The "John Deere Tractors advertised at many of the large chain stores are very decieving. All looks right until you look closely. 1st notice that the model numbers will have a diferent suffex than the real thing, but close enough to make you over look.
Next compare components used in the construction. Most will be inferior to the real thing built to much lower standards. Many important heavy duty devices are substituted wirh a much lower quality part and many shortcuts are taken in the manufacturing in areas of protection and strength.
Read the fine print and compare the real thing to the budget models and things become obvious from tires,frames,drive trains etc.
Be careful! You get what you pay for. As stated check the letters in the model number prefix and you will immediately see a difference that is easily overlooked e.g.the X500 (real thing) will usually have D500 on the inferior models. The frame is much weaker than the real deal and internal components are made by inferior 3rd party factories. They all look similar at first glance but take your time and compare all the systems and their ratings, protection circuits and materials..

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

The "John Deere Tractors advertised at many of the large chain stores are very decieving. All looks right until you look closely. 1st notice that the model numbers will have a diferent suffex than the real thing, but close enough to make you over look.
Next compare components used in the construction. Most will be inferior to the real thing built to much lower standards. Many important heavy duty devices are substituted wirh a much lower quality part and many shortcuts are taken in the manufacturing in areas of protection and strength.
Read the fine print and compare the real thing to the budget models and things become obvious from tires,frames,drive trains etc.
Be careful! You get what you pay for. As stated check the letters in the model number prefix and you will immediately see a difference that is easily overlooked e.g.the X500 (real thing) will usually have D500 on the inferior models. The frame is much weaker than the real deal and internal components are made by inferior 3rd party factories. They all look similar at first glance but take your time and compare all the systems and their ratings, protection circuits and materials..
Todd

Semmes, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

moline wrote:
Proving there is power in the pen! Even though sometimes you want to use your pen as a sword and sink it into 1 of the arrogant bassturds,...try writing, plus it'll keep you out of jail and make you feel good.
These guys only know 1 thing.....money, hit em where it hurts or what they idolize and you'll be amazed at how fast they back peddle and address a peon.
You might start first with the CEO and board of directors of john deere, and let them know what kind of money grubbing sellout deal they made.
Then move to Lowes, and let them know you already sent emails to john deere..........trust me,....they talk...someone will direct somebody to address it.
I bought a John Deere from Lowes 5 years ago. It is a 48 inch with a22 HP Briggs. It has over 200 hard hours on it with very little trouble. I paid 2500 dollars for it. If you dumb asses want a real John Deere you would pay about 5000 dollars for the same mower. For the price they are very good mowers. John Deere does not put they're name on junk!
Abby

High River, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Judged:

@Mad Ashell
Of course John Deere charged $100.00 to diagnose YOU DIDN'T BUY IT DIRECTLY FROM THEIR SHOP! If you wanted a free diagnoses you should have bought directly from John Deere through their salesmen, not from a secondary dealer like Lowes who has a very limited stock as far as models are concerned and under educated sales people selling the John Deere machines. Why would a John Deere store go out of their way to help you save a few bucks when you didn't buy the machine from their store? Next time don't try and save a few bucks by going to Lowes to purchase a JD, go directly to John Deere.
Mad Ashell wrote:
Buyers Beware !!!! Some of the John Deere lawn tractors sold at the Lowes stores are NOT what you think they are. I moved to Tennessee 10 years back (June of 2002) with what was then a 20 year old little 10HP Simplicity with a gear box. It was wore out but lasted 5 more years here before it finally died a slow death. In June of 2007, I purchased a 21 HP John Deere tractor with hydrostatic drive. I thought and was told I was buying a terrific machine that would last for many years if not be the last lawn tractor Iíd ever own. My thinking was that a 21HP tractor was ridiculous overkill to mow the grass but surely it would outlast the little Simplicity I had and spread out over 20 plus years wasnít going to be all that bad. What a joke!
IN JUST OVER 100 HOURS OF USE IN 4 YEARS the Deereís transmission is going bad and hereís the deal.... the transmissions in these tractors are sealed units (meaning theyíre not serviceable)- made in Morristown, TN. by a company called Tough Torque. The only thing you can do if they go bad is replace the entire transmission at an authorized dealership *** WHICH IS GOING TO BE $1,000. I called the John Deere factory to see if I could get any help in the matter and they kindly offered me $250.00 toward the bill. Further, it wasnít good enough that I already knew the transmission was going out... in order to see if help from the factory was possible, I had to take my tractor to a dealer and get charged $100.00 just for the confirming diagnosis. What a ridiculous way to treat a customer. I will never buy another John Deere product and plan to warn as many people as I can that these tractors are just expensive junk.
For what itís worth, Iíve spoken to the Cub Cadet people as well as the Simplicity folks in my area about their new tractors and believe it or not they admit their tractors arenít worth a crap either until you get up into the 4 to 5 thousand dollar range. At least they were honest about it upfront.
Mower man

Riverbank, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

People that don't know facts need not to post. All Deere riding mower are made by Deere and always have been. If you are sceptical look at the frames and decks they are completely different than any other manufacture. All the parts are avialible from Deere dealers. Also good for you that you cried and got $250 2 years after your warranty ran out. You get what you pay for the x-series $4000-$10000 mowers have a 4 year warranty. The la100 series and d100 series are made for cheap people that can't see true quality for what it's worth. So for those of you that have those and are still running good for you maintain it and it will keep going just don't expect 20+ years like a x-series Deere mowers.
moline wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny that you mention that.
I got an uncle that does small engine repair, he says none of the john deere tractors at lowes are made by john deere, and that any of the parts on a john deere lawn tractor from lowes can not be bought or gotten from john deere.
It was a deal john deere made with lowes for the name brand product, try writing john deere and letting them know what kind of a deal they made selling out their name and how this is making them and their true products look bad.
I once wrote the CEO of lowes direct when I couldn't get no help,(most never have an email available for the public to see or use, but with a little digging its not that hard to get) after a few emails to him and the board of directors.....I was called within the week for reimbursement and a store credit. These guys called me 4 or 5 times a day for few days until they reached me. Obviously he sent the word out for someone to take care of this nut so he stops emailing me.
SAD TIMES

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

LOCAL JOHN DEERE DEALER IS A JOKE SERVICE MANAGER MAKES EXCUSES OF HAVING CANCER WHEN I COMPLAIN ABOUT LACK IF POOR SERVICE AND I HAVE SEEN FIRST HAND WHAT THY ARE ALL ABOUT MONEY AND THATS IT DON'T CARE ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE AT DEALERSHIP HAS WENT DOWN HILL AFTER MANY MERGERS PRAIRIELAND PARTNERS S A BAD DEALERSHIP GO SOUTH OR EAST FOR SERVICE TALKING TO CEO IS LIKE TALKIN TO POLITION HE TELLS YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO HERE JUST TO GET OFF THE PHONE WITH YOU AND IF YOU CALL HIM BACK HE'S ALWAYS OUT SOUNDS FISHEY TO ME LIKE HE REALLY CARES LESS ABOUT ME P&K MUCH BETTER PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH AND O'MALLEY'S STIL FAMILY OWNED
CANT KEEP HELP

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

LOCAL WINFIELD DEALERSHIP IS ALWAYS LOSING HELP SOME OF THE GUYS THEY HAVE LOST HAD BEEN AROUND FOR 15+YR WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE SOUNDS LIKE POOR MGT. TO ME THEY DON'T SEEM TO WANT LOCAL PEOPLE WORKING FOR THEM LAST TIME I WENT IN THE GUY WHO FIXED MY COMBINE WHO DID'NT SEEM THAT GREAT HAND ALREDY QUIT AND THEN THE YOUNG KID WHO REPLACED HIM ALSO QUIT TO SEEMS TO ME THAT PRAIRIELAND PARTNERS WANT ME TO GO ELSE WHERE P&K BLACKWELL OK. IS MY NEW SERVICE DEPT. SERVICE MGR. SEEMS TO HAVE QUITE A BIT OF KNOWLEDGE WHERE PRAIRIELD PARTNERS IN WINFIELD SERVICE MGR. DOES'NT KNOW HIS HEAD FROM HOLE IN GROUND BLAMES CANCER FOR HIS PROBLEMS AND WHILE I DON'T WISH THAT ON ANYONE WHERE TALKNING THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS HERE SOUNDS LIKE HE NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING ELSE IN THE STORE INSTEAD OF BEING SERVICE MGR.(WAKE UP PRAIRIELAND YOU ARE LOSING CUSTOMERS VERY FAST)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of101
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

32 Users are viewing the Indianapolis Forum right now

Search the Indianapolis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Who is Craig 1 hr Russell Haney 7
Black and Tired 1 hr Starlett Miller 10
Israel wants all of the middle east now 1 hr The Great One 1
The truth about homicide in Indy (Jan '14) 1 hr Starlett Miller 194
Time to end funding for Israel and Hamas 1 hr The Great One 2
Slain officer's father says city should be prou... 2 hr The Great One 1
Israel at it Again 2 hr The Great One 1
•••
•••