BUYERS BEWARE - Junk John Deere Lawn tractors at Lowes

Posted in the Indianapolis Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Mad Ashell

Jefferson City, TN

#1 Sep 29, 2011
Buyers Beware !!!! Some of the John Deere lawn tractors sold at the Lowes stores are NOT what you think they are. I moved to Tennessee 10 years back (June of 2002) with what was then a 20 year old little 10HP Simplicity with a gear box. It was wore out but lasted 5 more years here before it finally died a slow death. In June of 2007, I purchased a 21 HP John Deere tractor with hydrostatic drive. I thought and was told I was buying a terrific machine that would last for many years if not be the last lawn tractor Iíd ever own. My thinking was that a 21HP tractor was ridiculous overkill to mow the grass but surely it would outlast the little Simplicity I had and spread out over 20 plus years wasnít going to be all that bad. What a joke!

IN JUST OVER 100 HOURS OF USE IN 4 YEARS the Deereís transmission is going bad and hereís the deal.... the transmissions in these tractors are sealed units (meaning theyíre not serviceable)- made in Morristown, TN. by a company called Tough Torque. The only thing you can do if they go bad is replace the entire transmission at an authorized dealership *** WHICH IS GOING TO BE $1,000. I called the John Deere factory to see if I could get any help in the matter and they kindly offered me $250.00 toward the bill. Further, it wasnít good enough that I already knew the transmission was going out... in order to see if help from the factory was possible, I had to take my tractor to a dealer and get charged $100.00 just for the confirming diagnosis. What a ridiculous way to treat a customer. I will never buy another John Deere product and plan to warn as many people as I can that these tractors are just expensive junk.

For what itís worth, Iíve spoken to the Cub Cadet people as well as the Simplicity folks in my area about their new tractors and believe it or not they admit their tractors arenít worth a crap either until you get up into the 4 to 5 thousand dollar range. At least they were honest about it upfront.
lost on this planet

Carmel, IN

#2 Sep 29, 2011
Sounds like you got a lemon !! I bought mine in 2006 from Lowes...21 HP, Hydrostatic sealed transmission also...no trouble from this mower what so ever. Currently has 302 hours..I cut about 2.5 acres. Sorry for your luck...I would think JD could do better than $250
moline

Greenwood, IN

#3 Sep 29, 2011
Mad Ashell wrote:
Buyers Beware !!!! Some of the John Deere lawn tractors sold at the Lowes stores are NOT what you think they are. I moved to Tennessee 10 years back (June of 2002) with what was then a 20 year old little 10HP Simplicity with a gear box. It was wore out but lasted 5 more years here before it finally died a slow death. In June of 2007, I purchased a 21 HP John Deere tractor with hydrostatic drive. I thought and was told I was buying a terrific machine that would last for many years if not be the last lawn tractor Iíd ever own. My thinking was that a 21HP tractor was ridiculous overkill to mow the grass but surely it would outlast the little Simplicity I had and spread out over 20 plus years wasnít going to be all that bad. What a joke!
IN JUST OVER 100 HOURS OF USE IN 4 YEARS the Deereís transmission is going bad and hereís the deal.... the transmissions in these tractors are sealed units (meaning theyíre not serviceable)- made in Morristown, TN. by a company called Tough Torque. The only thing you can do if they go bad is replace the entire transmission at an authorized dealership *** WHICH IS GOING TO BE $1,000. I called the John Deere factory to see if I could get any help in the matter and they kindly offered me $250.00 toward the bill. Further, it wasnít good enough that I already knew the transmission was going out... in order to see if help from the factory was possible, I had to take my tractor to a dealer and get charged $100.00 just for the confirming diagnosis. What a ridiculous way to treat a customer. I will never buy another John Deere product and plan to warn as many people as I can that these tractors are just expensive junk.
For what itís worth, Iíve spoken to the Cub Cadet people as well as the Simplicity folks in my area about their new tractors and believe it or not they admit their tractors arenít worth a crap either until you get up into the 4 to 5 thousand dollar range. At least they were honest about it upfront.
Funny that you mention that.
I got an uncle that does small engine repair, he says none of the john deere tractors at lowes are made by john deere, and that any of the parts on a john deere lawn tractor from lowes can not be bought or gotten from john deere.
It was a deal john deere made with lowes for the name brand product, try writing john deere and letting them know what kind of a deal they made selling out their name and how this is making them and their true products look bad.
I once wrote the CEO of lowes direct when I couldn't get no help,(most never have an email available for the public to see or use, but with a little digging its not that hard to get) after a few emails to him and the board of directors.....I was called within the week for reimbursement and a store credit. These guys called me 4 or 5 times a day for few days until they reached me. Obviously he sent the word out for someone to take care of this nut so he stops emailing me.
moline

Greenwood, IN

#4 Sep 29, 2011
Proving there is power in the pen! Even though sometimes you want to use your pen as a sword and sink it into 1 of the arrogant bassturds,...try writing, plus it'll keep you out of jail and make you feel good.
These guys only know 1 thing.....money, hit em where it hurts or what they idolize and you'll be amazed at how fast they back peddle and address a peon.

You might start first with the CEO and board of directors of john deere, and let them know what kind of money grubbing sellout deal they made.
Then move to Lowes, and let them know you already sent emails to john deere..........trust me,....they talk...someone will direct somebody to address it.
lost on this planet

Carmel, IN

#5 Sep 29, 2011
moline wrote:
<quoted text>
I got an uncle that does small engine repair, he says none of the john deere tractors at lowes are made by john deere, and that any of the parts on a john deere lawn tractor from lowes can not be bought or gotten from john deere.
It was a deal john deere made with lowes for the name brand product, try writing john deere and letting them know what kind of a deal they made selling out their name and how this is making them and their true products look bad.
I once wrote the CEO of lowes direct when I couldn't get no help,(most never have an email available for the public to see or use, but with a little digging its not that hard to get) after a few emails to him and the board of directors.....I was called within the week for reimbursement and a store credit. These guys called me 4 or 5 times a day for few days until they reached me. Obviously he sent the word out for someone to take care of this nut so he stops emailing me.
That's interesting...the one I purchased from Lowes had a sticker under the seat next to the maintenance sticker that states it was assembled by the local John Deere dealer...the same place I get all the replacement parts from.
lost on this planet

Carmel, IN

#6 Sep 29, 2011
Just found this on-line...looks like they are made by John Deere just with cheaper parts/specifications.

"It is true that some of the Box Stores sell some of the same exact models that you can find at the John Deere dealers.

At a recent John Deere Media Event I also learned that every John Deere Mower that is sold at a box store is inspected on-site by a John Deere dealer. A local dealer visits the store, inspects the mower, places a sticker on it so you know where the local dealer is located.

Whatís also true is the Box Stores only carry entry level, low price point machines so they can compete with the other lower priced brands.

Regardless of how you feel on the topic the main point of the article is this, you get what you pay for, nothing more, nothing less."

I got lucky and actually got a better model (you can tell by the model number according to the article I read.) Maybe Mr. Mad Ashell got one of the lower quality ones)
Camp David

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Sep 29, 2011
I had the same problems with a BadBoy mower
Mad Ashell

Jefferson City, TN

#8 Sep 29, 2011
moline wrote:
<quoted text>
That story flies around a lot..... but afraid I now know a guy that works for Deere. He assembles the very tractor I own every day. It's true that these tractors are made to hit a price mark for Lowes however seems to me anyone that spends more than a couple grand should be able to cut his grass a lot longer than any 100 hours (4 years). If you look around, you'll find that there's a great deal of documentation about this. The factory representative I spoke to acknowledges they've had a trouble with their transmissions but the only thing they think they've not handled right is not giving the big box sales people enough education. They think their throw away transmissions are a good thing. Well - here's to John Deere's good thing.
Mad Ashell

Jefferson City, TN

#9 Sep 29, 2011
moline wrote:
Proving there is power in the pen! Even though sometimes you want to use your pen as a sword and sink it into 1 of the arrogant bassturds,...try writing, plus it'll keep you out of jail and make you feel good.
These guys only know 1 thing.....money, hit em where it hurts or what they idolize and you'll be amazed at how fast they back peddle and address a peon.
You might start first with the CEO and board of directors of john deere, and let them know what kind of money grubbing sellout deal they made.
Then move to Lowes, and let them know you already sent emails to john deere..........trust me,....they talk...someone will direct somebody to address it.
Well, some have better luck than others I guess. LOL I worked for Lowes for several years - I bought the tractor as an employee and still paid over $2,000 for it. Seems like a hell of a lot of money to cut the grass to me - particularly when my puny little 20 year old 10HP Simplicity handled it for 5 years. I am fully and completely aware of how Lowes treats many customers. Being an EX employee that resigned, just makes it that much worse. They wouldn't walk across the street for me and frankly I wouldn't urinate on them if they were on fire. Still, the message to get is BUYERS BEWARE..... unless you want spend up into the 4 to 5 thousand dollar area or more, you're better off paying someone else to cut the grass. And certainly if you do spend enough money to buy a good tractor, you better go into business - it's the only way to justify that kind of investment in a lawn mower these days.
lost on this planet

Wilmington, IL

#10 Sep 29, 2011
Mad Ashell wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, some have better luck than others I guess. LOL I worked for Lowes for several years - I bought the tractor as an employee and still paid over $2,000 for it. Seems like a hell of a lot of money to cut the grass to me - particularly when my puny little 20 year old 10HP Simplicity handled it for 5 years. I am fully and completely aware of how Lowes treats many customers. Being an EX employee that resigned, just makes it that much worse. They wouldn't walk across the street for me and frankly I wouldn't urinate on them if they were on fire. Still, the message to get is BUYERS BEWARE..... unless you want spend up into the 4 to 5 thousand dollar area or more, you're better off paying someone else to cut the grass. And certainly if you do spend enough money to buy a good tractor, you better go into business - it's the only way to justify that kind of investment in a lawn mower these days.
Thank you for the info...hope I didn't jinks myself !!! I can sympathise with your frustration..before I bought this mower I had a Craftsman 19 HP that I spent $1800.00 it last two years...the last time I went to cut the grass in fall it threw a rod..Sears answer was "sorry out of warranty..you should have purchased an extended warranty"...I think the next mower I buy (hopefully not soon) will be an X-Mark ZTR.
Harry Reid

Greenwood, IN

#11 Sep 29, 2011
Mad Ashell wrote:
<quoted text>
That story flies around a lot..... but afraid I now know a guy that works for Deere. He assembles the very tractor I own every day. It's true that these tractors are made to hit a price mark for Lowes however seems to me anyone that spends more than a couple grand should be able to cut his grass a lot longer than any 100 hours (4 years). If you look around, you'll find that there's a great deal of documentation about this. The factory representative I spoke to acknowledges they've had a trouble with their transmissions but the only thing they think they've not handled right is not giving the big box sales people enough education. They think their throw away transmissions are a good thing. Well - here's to John Deere's good thing.
Not a story, I talked with him a few days ago about my cub cadet.
Called the factory for a part and it wasn't the transmission. He was told they don't make them parts and was given the number to manufacturor that did.
That wasn't his complaint to me. His complaint was the manufacturor had a minimum order size.
lost on this planet

Bolingbrook, IL

#12 Sep 29, 2011
Just curios Mad Ashell....what model did you purchase ?? I have a LA 145
Person

Carmel, IN

#13 Sep 29, 2011
That fact remains: Very few companies build things to last anymore. For example my friend bought "HIGH" end appliances, and she said. they did not last long. A long time ago a dishwasher would last over ten years, not anymore. Cheap products. I buy cheap appliances, and also a cheap lawn mower. If it is going to fall apart, better to spend little money. Honda Cars are good, Honda Civic- great car, Honda had extended warranty till the car had 150,000 miles. I did not have to pay a thing, and I did not buy a warranty. I wish companies cared about customer service and their products more in America.
junk they sell now days

Greenwood, IN

#14 Sep 29, 2011
Person wrote:
That fact remains: Very few companies build things to last anymore. For example my friend bought "HIGH" end appliances, and she said. they did not last long. A long time ago a dishwasher would last over ten years, not anymore. Cheap products. I buy cheap appliances, and also a cheap lawn mower. If it is going to fall apart, better to spend little money. Honda Cars are good, Honda Civic- great car, Honda had extended warranty till the car had 150,000 miles. I did not have to pay a thing, and I did not buy a warranty. I wish companies cared about customer service and their products more in America.
Agree

My grandmothers Kelvinater refrigerator from 1950 still runs to this day.
Getting ready to pick up her wooden RCA radio from that era also that still works.
lost on this planet

Earlville, IL

#15 Sep 29, 2011
Person wrote:
My Whirlpool refrigerator I bought in 1992 works just fine...my mom has a Sears (not sure who manufactured it) upright freezer she bought in 1966....it stays colder than an Indiana Feb. morning !
Person

Carmel, IN

#16 Sep 29, 2011
lost on this planet wrote:
<quoted text>
My Whirlpool refrigerator I bought in 1992 works just fine...my mom has a Sears (not sure who manufactured it) upright freezer she bought in 1966....it stays colder than an Indiana Feb. morning !
I am talking about "new" items, 1992 was a long time ago. My friend bought a home in the "late" 1990 and her new home appliances only lasted three years.
Conservative Capitalist

United States

#17 Sep 29, 2011
Are you people communists? If you can't afford a top of the line machine,get a better job with better paycheck so you can PURCHASE ONE. Secondly,I applaud companies for doing what you're complaining about. These methods raise their profits to astronomical levels. That is the business of business. Business is not there to help you from getting your feelings hurt. I hope Lowes and John Deer ignore you. Business doesn't need nor deserve the criticism.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
nutjobs r us

Greenwood, IN

#18 Sep 29, 2011
Conservative Capitalist wrote:
Are you people communists? If you can't afford a top of the line machine,get a better job with better paycheck so you can PURCHASE ONE. Secondly,I applaud companies for doing what you're complaining about. These methods raise their profits to astronomical levels. That is the business of business. Business is not there to help you from getting your feelings hurt. I hope Lowes and John Deer ignore you. Business doesn't need nor deserve the criticism.
I knew it wouldn't take long for the tards to spew their crap.
I guess hadn't Bew Cwinton I'll sell anyone out for a campaign donation used executive order by normalizing trade relations with China and give them preferred trade nation status single handedly destroying americas manufacturing base, corporations wouldn't be trying to compete with a communist company that uses child labor and dumps their crap on the market and we'd still have jobs here.

and whats Obamas solution?.........typical union spill "how come we have korean cars here and no american cars in korea?" We need a free trade with Sk. Sure, lets get the cambodian, vietnamese, and loatian kids on board.
From what I hear the chinese are even tapping vietnamese kids because their cheaper then chinese kids.....Now everyone will be able to afford the higher price john deeres....thanks obama!

You forgot to say Bushs fault or Bush did it or Bush caused it!
Proud US Capitalist

United States

#19 Sep 29, 2011
Good for China. What's good for China is good for American business. Wal-Mart imports a lot of goods from China. Wal-Mart employs MORE Americans than any other company. Wal-Mart stock is the greatest. God Bless Wal-Mart. God Bless The Chinese.

China didn't destroy American manufacturing....American wages and the decline in quality from American workers is what destroyed American manufacturing.

American workers are the laziest.

American workers want to be treated like kings.

American workers expect too much money from their employers.

China has got it right.
nutjobs r us

Greenwood, IN

#20 Sep 29, 2011
Proud US Capitalist wrote:
Good for China. What's good for China is good for American business. Wal-Mart imports a lot of goods from China. Wal-Mart employs MORE Americans than any other company. Wal-Mart stock is the greatest. God Bless Wal-Mart. God Bless The Chinese.
China didn't destroy American manufacturing....American wages and the decline in quality from American workers is what destroyed American manufacturing.
American workers are the laziest.
American workers want to be treated like kings.
American workers expect too much money from their employers.
China has got it right.
Good thing Clinton recognized how hard working them chinese kids are.
Why for a good whipping and a bowl of rice you can 18-20 hours out of them kids.
and as Al Gore stated on national tv when the unions threatened not to support Clinton " We did what was best for america, because we know whats best for america"....he forgot to say and those chinese kids no longer lazing about and being kids...they need to be producers, well thats all it took and the unions threw their support hat in......yeah rah! Never thought I'd see union workers so happy for jobs to leave the country, maybe they are tired of working 2 hours a day and getting $50 an hour.

The chinese kids would like to say something...."Tanks Bew Cwinton, we now hav roof over ow heads rite at factry and no need to twavel caws we lives here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where to get herbal incense/spice/potpourri in ... (May '13) Tue Illylookingforill 46
Obama racist rhetoric toward Police Tue tayarrit76 5
Why do most Blacks hate Whites? (Jul '13) Mon tayarrit76 270
does pepsi drug test? which type? Mon Dave 9
Louis Farrakhan regales Indianapolis with 2-1/2... (Dec '13) Sun Ms Mack 20
Egg head Holder resigns Sun Wabash Tsunami 9
I noticed something. Sep 27 Brandon Hyde 1

Indianapolis Jobs

Indianapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Indianapolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Indianapolis

Personal Finance