Really? Indy can't afford police?

Really? Indy can't afford police?

Posted in the Indianapolis Forum

local landlord

Indianapolis, IN

#1 May 30, 2014
The problem isn’t that they aren’t collecting enough taxes from Indianapolis residents to pay police. The problem is that they misdirect spending of those tax monies. I was shocked by today’s news that the Clippers garnered a sale price of $2 billion dollars. And it makes me wonder what the Pacers are worth. And it makes me curious what the Pacers actually gross for Simon. I understand he refuses to provide audited financial statements detailing the Pacers gross income. So I call on the State of Indiana’s Department of Revenue and the Internal Revenue Service to audit those books. Because it seems to this simple man that fraud is afoot. Surely in an age when basketball teams are worth billions of dollars, and earn billions in annual revenue from sports licensing and television revenues, claims of being to poor to honor contractual commitments are thinly disguised lies. Why are our tax dollars being diverted to Mr. Simon? Why do we have these terrible creations called the “capital improvements board” and the “indianapolis bond bank” and “tif” tax zones which rob us of our precious tax dollars, against our will, and with unaudited books justifying their fraudulent claims. This officer was shot today. Yes. It happens quite a lot lately in Indianapolis. Perhaps if we had more backup it wouldn’t have happened. But no. Instead of hiring backup police officers, we have our tax dollars misappropriated to the Simons, to the capital improvement board, to pay indianapolis bond bank obligations, and to build fancy hotels downtown for Lilly executives and super bowl enthusiasts. It isn’t right. And I don’t think its legal. I call for audits and complete financial disclosure. Surely the way forward into this next century requires, at minimum, honesty from civic leaders about the real way they are spending our money.

Since: Aug 12

Fishers, IN

#2 May 30, 2014
Who told you that Indianapolis can't afford police? IMPD has plenty of officers. Hiring a thousand more officers wouldn't do anything to stop domestic incidents like the one that happened today where the officer was wounded and the suspect was killed.

There's no doubt that the Simon could make money on the Pacers without public subsidies but that's the price a city must pay to keep a team. If Indianapolis didn't write Simon a check Seattle would have been happy to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dry out that basement fast, or risk costly mold... 6 hr Raylin Sutter 2
News Central Indiana, nation in shock over on-air fa... Thu The Truth Sayer 2
illegals= law breakers Thu The Truth Sayer 1
Derrick Rose=Another Billl Cosby Rapist Thu The Truth Sayer 1
Black reporter typical hate whitey Wed NYbabe1990 2
Black Reporter shoots three white Coworkers Wed Andrew 3
News 13,000-plus in Marion County could lose food st... Wed Let it Be 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages