Time for Obama to find the right words

Time for Obama to find the right words

There are 2644 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Mar 8, 2008, titled Time for Obama to find the right words. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

With arithmetic on his side, Barack Obama still should be heavily favored to win the Democratic presidential nomination.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Jay

Wellington, New Zealand

#21 Mar 8, 2008
Now hang on a tick - let's back off the Clintonian rhetoric and actually evaluate the basis behind this argument here. Clinton seems to be arguing that since she won CA, NJ, NY, FL & OH (she lost Texas when Caucuses and Primaries are combined)then this makes her the better candidate because it suggests Obama wouldn't be able to win these states.

Well - let's check this against a few pointers.

1. You cannot infer Obama's ability to compete against a Republican in those big states in November against him competing with a fellow Democrat (whose policies are 95% similar to his) in the primaries. What a silly argument - makes no sense.

2. A number of the big states that Clinton won are solidly democratic, and have been election after election. There is little basis - therefore - upon which to judge them as at risk if Obama is the nominee - also given that polls consistently show he wins bigger head to head margins over McCain compared to Clinton - so again, this argument makes no sense.

3. If you even want to talk about California, Florida or Michigan there are a number of things to consider. First of all, in California and Florida, over a million mail votes were cast before people could familiarize themselves with Obama - he did well with voters who decided the week prior to voting in both states. How many early mail voters have now changed their mind? Clinton's name recognition was a big early factor for him to overcome. Further, his name wasn't even on the ballot in Michigan - neither was Edwards - in respect of the DNC's position. You can't lambast him for that but nor can you imagine that vote to be a fair representation as he didn't even campaign there - again, favoring Clinton's name recognition AND Clinton being the only major candidate on the ballot.

4. As for NY and NJ - well they are closely associated with her senate seat in NY, so it is expected that she would have won those, like Obama won Illinois - notwithstanding the RECOUNT in NY due to serious 'human error' tallies for 80 separate electorates in a heavily black precinct that recorded '0' votes for Obama (of course, recounting showing they were WAYYYYYY wrong - what the heck is happening with that recount anyway?).

Now I know the media isn't stupid - why do you support the spin instead of showing it for what it is? HOLLOW.
Angela

Cincinnati, OH

#22 Mar 8, 2008
I agree with most of what you said, except that I do think much of Obama's loss was due to race. I think it can (and has been) over come, but I think when exit polls show over 60% of people who said race was a factor voting for the white candidate, you have to take bigotry and racism into account.
Jennifer

United States

#23 Mar 8, 2008
Something all Americans should know is that Barack Obama has been the victim of a false email "whispering campaign" that he is Muslim. This has been proven false hundreds of times by CNN, Newsweek, and other reliable outlets, and can be checked on snopes.com . This false smear has had an effect of depressing support among those voters mentioned in the article: white, working-class, non-college educated voters. These folks rely on word of mouth to get information and have been falsly told that Obama, a committed Christian, is a Muslim who does not say the Pledge of Allegiance.

Both the Clinton and McCain campaigns have been party to furthering this smear by saying he's not been "vetted", by emphasizing his middle name, Hussein, and by claiming that his wife, Michelle, is not patriotic. This keeps the smear viable in voters' minds.

Obama is a committed Christian, who speaks openly about accepting Christ into his life and about the role our individual faiths have in public life. He was never Muslim, attended Catholic and public schools in Indonesia. He taught Constitutional Law in Chicago and introduced legislation in Illinois requiring high school student to recite the Pledge of Allegiance.

I respect the rights of those who choose to vote for someone else because of policy differences, or simply because another candidates life story and values appeals more to them. But our founding documents declare that we believe it is our work and choices that determine our success in this country, not our birth circumstances. Our country declares that we are better than that, and we must be if we are to fulfill the promise of America.

Obama is literally risking his life to try to serve this country. Those who would lie about a good man to gain power do not deserve our votes.
FedUp

Wilmer, TX

#24 Mar 8, 2008
jacksmith wrote:
YOU MIGHT BE AN IDIOT:-)
If you think Barack Obama with little or no experience would be better than Hillary Clinton with 35 years experience.
You Might Be An Idiot!
If you think that Obama with no experience can fix an economy on the verge of collapse better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) led the greatest economic expansion, and prosperity in American history.
You Might Be An Idiot!
If you think that Obama with no experience fighting for universal health care can get it for you better than Hillary Clinton. Who anticipated this current health care crisis back in 1993, and fought a pitched battle against overwhelming odds to get universal health care for all the American people.
You Might Be An Idiot!
If you think that Obama with no experience can manage, and get us out of two wars better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) went to war only when he was convinced that he absolutely had to. Then completed the mission in record time against a nuclear power. AND DID NOT LOSE THE LIFE OF A SINGLE AMERICAN SOLDIER. NOT ONE!
You Might Be An Idiot!
If you think that Obama with no experience saving the environment is better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) left office with the greatest amount of environmental cleanup, and protections in American history.
You Might Be An Idiot!
If you think that Obama with little or no education experience is better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) made higher education affordable for every American. And created higher job demand and starting salary's than they had ever been before or since.
You Might Be An Idiot!
If you think that Obama with no experience will be better than Hillary Clinton who spent 8 years at the right hand of President Bill Clinton. Who is already on record as one of the greatest Presidents in American history.
You Might Be An Idiot!
If you think that you can change the way Washington works with pretty speeches from Obama, rather than with the experience, and political expertise of two master politicians ON YOUR SIDE like Hillary and Bill Clinton..
You Might Be An Idiot!
If you think all those Republicans voting for Obama in the Democratic primaries, and caucuses are doing so because they think he is a stronger Democratic candidate than Hillary Clinton.:-)
Best regards
jacksmith...
You are an Idiot. You're welcome.
Fell Down Funked Up

Tingalpa, Australia

#26 Mar 8, 2008
Sue wrote:
Obama has no hope of winning Pennsylvania. Mr. Hope and Change and Turn the page and tent revivals that are called political rallys don't set well with hardworking people who are living from paycheck to paycheck.
And the George Bush economy isn't going to get any better in the next seven weeks making it a more important issue than which republican Mr. Hope and Change is going to have in his cabinet.
Also there is no way the Democrats are going to win without the states of Michigan and Florida. Howard Dean is a fool. Obama is rejecting the idea of do overs (and I'm not so sure that I support them) making him look like he is afraid to go head to head with Mrs. Clinton in a primary (which should only be limited to Democrats)
Also I would like to see Mrs. Obama sitting down, as she did with either the Texas or Michigan moms with $33,000 annual income average telling them they should reject going to work in corporate America and instead go to work in community service or government or teaching. And how surprised her husband was to find out that it costs $10,000 a years for their children's extracurricular activities and camps.
This from a woman with a privileged upbringing, child of Democratic leaders in Chicago and ivy league college and law school and making OVER 300,000 a years in her CORPORATE job.
Hoo, boy, this is rich. So, Obama is the "elitist", eh? So, what you're saying in a nutshell is that the hardworking American middle to lower class should favor a woman who's net worth went from $1 million to $50 million in just the last seven years. In order to counter "elitists", you want to rally around a Yale educated lawyer who passively sat on the board of Wal-Mart and stayed as quiet as a mouse. Since you did the oh so classy move of bashing Obama's kids, let's look at the not-so-humble upbringing of Chelsea, shall we? Instead of attending a DC public school, Chelsea went to an exclusive and expensive private school. Chelsea now has a six-figure income working in the very hedge fund industry that caused the economy to collapse.
Jennifer

United States

#27 Mar 8, 2008
Sue wrote:
Obama has no hope of winning Pennsylvania. Mr. Hope and Change and Turn the page and tent revivals that are called political rallys don't set well with hardworking people who are living from paycheck to paycheck.
And the George Bush economy isn't going to get any better in the next seven weeks making it a more important issue than which republican Mr. Hope and Change is going to have in his cabinet.
Also there is no way the Democrats are going to win without the states of Michigan and Florida. Howard Dean is a fool. Obama is rejecting the idea of do overs (and I'm not so sure that I support them) making him look like he is afraid to go head to head with Mrs. Clinton in a primary (which should only be limited to Democrats)
Also I would like to see Mrs. Obama sitting down, as she did with either the Texas or Michigan moms with $33,000 annual income average telling them they should reject going to work in corporate America and instead go to work in community service or government or teaching. And how surprised her husband was to find out that it costs $10,000 a years for their children's extracurricular activities and camps.
This from a woman with a privileged upbringing, child of Democratic leaders in Chicago and ivy league college and law school and making OVER 300,000 a years in her CORPORATE job.
Michelle Obama grew up in South Chicago in a tiny apartment, went to the neighborhood public school, was raised by a Dad who was a city water pump operator (who had MS, yet worked every day of his life) and a stay-at-home mom. Barack was raised by a single Mom and his grandparents. Neither family had any money at all, they were regular working class folks. Barack and Michelle paid their own way, taking out student loans and getting scholarships, with loan payments bigger than the mortgage on their two bedroom apartment.
They have recently improved their lot in life and know how important good schools and quality daycare are to working folks. Michelle has talked about the difficult choices facing families, how the food that's good for kids costs WAY more than the 99-cent package of cookies. How busy Moms are squeezed, and how it's not possible to raise a family on one income any more. The choices Barack and Michelle have made in their lives reflect the quality of character they both possess. They have repeatedly chosen service above personal gain. Trying to paint them as elitist does not pass the truth test.
Louis

Denver, CO

#28 Mar 8, 2008
Folks should remeber that good sound judgement trumps experience. Hillary show her experience mantra when she sided with GWBush and voted for the war. Dont fret that decision will add another trillion to the future legacy costs for years to come. Dont freet Clinton supports she is very good at lying her way out and is now resorting to cheap Rovian tactics to win. Her RED PHONE MOMENT shows she is willing to scare Americans with the same tactics Republicans have used for years.

America can do better than rewarding fear mongering and resorting to slander and spurious attacks. She has proven to be more concerned with electing her dynasty than changing the way business is done in Washington.
She claimed she could deliver 200,000 jobs to New York, she had 6 years to produce them jobs, in fact they lost 32,000 but gained 354 million in Pork. She could rightly be called the Queen of Pork, and trickle down economics.
Obama wants to lift all boats in this country and Americans who want change want her and her cronyism out. Midwest needs jobs, and Obama will bring that change.

The truth is her 35 years experience is both ridiculous. How much experience did it take to propel this country into the "Biggest foreign policy blunder" since Vietnam.
Mike

Biloxi, MS

#29 Mar 8, 2008
Sue wrote:
Actually if you really think about it, Obama can win PA without actually winning.

What I mean is that Obama can repeat Hillary's so-called victories in Ohio and Texas: diminish Hillary's leads to virtually neck and neck so that it results in Hillary barely netting pledged delegates, which was the case in Ohio and Texas. Without blowout victories from here on out, mathematically speaking, the odds are against Hillary winning the nomination, she let Obama get way too ahead and win way too many states last month.

Even if there were do-over elections in MI and FL the math still works in Obama's favor and he can get the nomination sooner rather than later, because he would win MI, provided he could get a chance to actually campaign there and because MI is a very liberal state, and he would be able to diminish any leads Hillary would have in FL to virtually tied, a repeat of Texas. The reason why Obama is opposing re-votes is to show that he is for winning fair and square, something Hillary's campaign seems to be against. First when they were in the lead everything is okey dokey peachy keen, but now that Obama is in the lead, "small" states don't matter, the FL and MI delegates must be seated as is, Samantha Power is allowed to resign for calling Hillary a monster but Howard Wolfson can get away with comparing Obama to Ken Starr... Hillary's campaign is filled with the same corruption and double standards as George Bush, no wonder Hillary loves defending McCain, aka Bush III!!!

Sorry, I cannot support a bi-polar, mentally unstable, menopausal psychopath for President, imagine if she actually did win how much more divisive our country would be with her spoiled brat "my way or the highway" attitude, at least Obama is for bringing everybody together, has Hillary or McBushCain ever mentioned bringing and uniting everybody together?
Kossi

Cerritos, CA

#30 Mar 8, 2008
Why do People think Obama has no experience? He is an elected Senator. The Man has been educated all over outside the American Bubble. I spent 6yrs over seas and got an education you will never get from the States. Give me a brake, this is a man that brings people together and has allot to bring to the table.
According to the article and what I see happening it is the same old story, people are more concerned about getting their kids off to daycare, driving through McDonalds and running off to soccer and have not made time to research the candidates. They rely on the Fox news sound bites and keep the mud sticky.
What really freaks me out are the people who are so passionate about Obama or Hillary have voiced if their candidate doesn't win they are going to vote for McCain. How do you do that? Only in America.
Fell Down Funked Up

Tingalpa, Australia

#31 Mar 8, 2008
I think the root problem here is the Clinton's habit of, for lack of a better way of putting it, Forrest Gumping their view of history. It's not just enough for the Clintons to say that contemporary events in their lives shaped their world views in a manner that gives them the judgement to effectively govern. No, they habitually try to argue that they themselves directly shaped historical events or were at ground zero for history. Remember when Bill sadly reminisced about black churches being burned in Arkansas when he was a kid? Ooops, turns out that didn't exactly happen? Or how about Hillary claiming credit for creating SCHIP? Or her ludicrous assertion that she directly shaped the Northern Ireland peace accords (which would be a surprise to Senator Mitchell). As Andrew Sullivan has pointed out, it's always about the Clintons. The thing that's extra humerous is that the supporters of the extremely narcissistic Clintons have the audacity to accuse Obama of fostering a "cult of personality".
FedUp

Wilmer, TX

#32 Mar 8, 2008
Fell Down Funked Up wrote:
I think the root problem here is the Clinton's habit of, for lack of a better way of putting it, Forrest Gumping their view of history. It's not just enough for the Clintons to say that contemporary events in their lives shaped their world views in a manner that gives them the judgement to effectively govern. No, they habitually try to argue that they themselves directly shaped historical events or were at ground zero for history. Remember when Bill sadly reminisced about black churches being burned in Arkansas when he was a kid? Ooops, turns out that didn't exactly happen? Or how about Hillary claiming credit for creating SCHIP? Or her ludicrous assertion that she directly shaped the Northern Ireland peace accords (which would be a surprise to Senator Mitchell). As Andrew Sullivan has pointed out, it's always about the Clintons. The thing that's extra humerous is that the supporters of the extremely narcissistic Clintons have the audacity to accuse Obama of fostering a "cult of personality".
Hear hear!
Shellray

Northampton, MA

#33 Mar 8, 2008
Thank you IndependentMe for that clarification. But unfortunately your latest post evinces the elitism of many of Obama's supporters - i.e., we are better than the unwashed, gap-toothed rabble who support Hillary. That is going to cost Obama in the primaries to come, and in the general election should he be the nominee. You've got to win over what somebody, I think Howard Dean, called the "Nascar Democrats," to win the general election.
As to Hillary's much vaunted "dirty" tactics, I'm unimpressed. I thought the 3 a.m. ad was brilliant political strategy, and I think its completely fair game to point out Obama's lack of experience, his "present" votes in the Illinois legislature, his consistent support of fundign the Iraq war once in the Senate. Is Hillary subject to criticism? Sure, and bring it on (as Obama already has, albeit through his surrogates). These are two highly competitive people who want very badly to be President. Nobody should be surprised that they do not always say nice things about each other.
And incidentally, IndependentMe, our discourse has been quite civil, but I've spent plenty of time in Avon, CT, having grown up in Farmington, and Avon ain't no Youngstown -- its BMW and Lexus country all the way. I'm with Sue -- even if you're an upper class professional, you've got to stay in touch with what motivates those bread and butter, blue collar Democrats. Can't win without them, thankfully for Hillary.
CaptainH

Auburn Hills, MI

#34 Mar 8, 2008
jacksmith wrote:
If you think Barack Obama with little or no experience would be better than Hillary Clinton with 35 years experience.
You Might Be An Idiot!
If you think that Obama with no experience can fix an economy on the verge of collapse better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) led the greatest economic expansion, and prosperity in American history.
You Might Be An Idiot!
If you think that Obama with no experience fighting for universal health care can get it for you better than Hillary Clinton. Who anticipated this current health care crisis back in 1993, and fought a pitched battle against overwhelming odds to get universal health care for all the American people.
You Might Be An Idiot!
If you think that Obama with no experience can manage, and get us out of two wars better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) went to war only when he was convinced that he absolutely had to. Then completed the mission in record time against a nuclear power. AND DID NOT LOSE THE LIFE OF A SINGLE AMERICAN SOLDIER. NOT ONE!
You Might Be An Idiot!
If you think that Obama with no experience saving the environment is better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) left office with the greatest amount of environmental cleanup, and protections in American history.
You Might Be An Idiot!
If you think that Obama with little or no education experience is better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) made higher education affordable for every American. And created higher job demand and starting salary's than they had ever been before or since.
You Might Be An Idiot!
If you think that Obama with no experience will be better than Hillary Clinton who spent 8 years at the right hand of President Bill Clinton. Who is already on record as one of the greatest Presidents in American history.
You Might Be An Idiot!
If you think that you can change the way Washington works with pretty speeches from Obama, rather than with the experience, and political expertise of two master politicians ON YOUR SIDE like Hillary and Bill Clinton..
You Might Be An Idiot!
If you think all those Republicans voting for Obama in the Democratic primaries, and caucuses are doing so because they think he is a stronger Democratic candidate than Hillary Clinton.:-)
Best regards
jacksmith...
I WOULD be an idiot if I believed all the drivel you wrote. Oh, I agree, Hillary is much more qualified than Obama - but so what? The Democrats are an incompetent joke. They couldn't lead a stray dog across the street.
Bill Clinton a great President - according to who? How about Ronald Reagan? Oh, I forgot, we have to "let history decide." But for good ole' Bill, that is not necessary. History be damned. Bill Clinton was a national disgrace.
Let me see, his "tax the rich" program meant that for the first time, for three straight years, I owed the government money, even though I made less money each year. Funny, I never knew $35,000 a year qualified me as "rich." And the fact that my wife was disabled and couldn't work - oh well!
So much for liberal "compassion."
William Phillips

Plymouth, MI

#35 Mar 8, 2008
Boo, Who Mr. Robinson, the nation maybe turning its back on your obsessions with Obama.

Obama is worse than the other candidates in that he has been making promises about truth and hope while at the same time telling other it is just political posturing. Proves my contention all along he has been selling snake oil.

Obama has feet of clay, and this fact is being exposed. Only confirmed Obamanut cultists fail to see the reality!
UNEMPLOYED UAW BOZO

AOL

#36 Mar 8, 2008
IN FLUX wrote:
There is not a dime's worth a difference between Barack Hussein Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton. They are both extreme left wing liberals. There policies will destroy America. They both have one mantra: Tax Tax Tax Tax
Hold on to your wallets if either of these two are elected. There object is to subjugate you and make you dependent on them. If you like living on welfare, vote for them.
As a HS dropout from
Indianer I want the demo candidate who can give me the most from educated hard workin folk!! I want their hard earned $$$$$$ money and the libs can get er done for us uneducated clueless UAW hoosiers......
hello to my buddy CRU JONES!!! We luv iu!!!!!
William Phillips

Plymouth, MI

#37 Mar 8, 2008
The posts here prove Obamanuts are delusional and out of contact with reality.

As Obama cultists they attack anyone who dares to point out flaws in their "glorious" leader.

I want a president -- not a cult leader!
CaptainH

Auburn Hills, MI

#39 Mar 8, 2008
One more thing: All the people who keep chanting that Obama is for "bringing the people together."
Well... who is NOT for that?
How about clean air, pure water, nice weather, more money, no disease, fresh fruit, puppy dogs, baseball, apple pie, starry nights, and a day at the beach?
Is Obama for all that?
Well then, he's got my vote!
Fell Down Funked Up

Tingalpa, Australia

#40 Mar 8, 2008
William Phillips wrote:
The posts here prove Obamanuts are delusional and out of contact with reality.
As Obama cultists they attack anyone who dares to point out flaws in their "glorious" leader.
I want a president -- not a cult leader!
These are the same "cultists" you need in November to vote for Hillary if she's your nominee. I'm not sure that calling them names is really the best strategy for coalition building.
JBP

Bringhurst, IN

#41 Mar 8, 2008
jacksmith wrote:
You Might Be An Idiot!
You Might Be An Idiot!
You Might Be An Idiot!
You Might Be An Idiot!
You Might Be An Idiot!
You Might Be An Idiot!
You Might Be An Idiot!
You Might Be An Idiot!
Best regards
jacksmith...
"You might be an idiot" if you claim Clinton has 36 years of experience. Doing what? Corporate attorney? Wife of a politician? First Lady? Junior Senator? She has zero experience managing anything including her cheating, lying husband. Obama? Clinton. Neither! McCain isn't my first, second or third choice but he's light years above either democrat candidate.
Angry in Florida

San Antonio, TX

#42 Mar 8, 2008
I find Hilary Clinton disgusting. She is so selfish and power hungry to win this election at any cost. THE KEY WORD IS COST PEOPLE. Our economy sucks literally. This [email protected] wants the people of florida and michigan to pay for the election. [email protected] that, I live in florida and I can think of IMPORTANT things for our state to spend $ 10-$15 million dollars on. 500,000 people are in foreclosure on their homes in my city alone. When did Hilary Clinton become QUEEN of the world.. After seeing the selfishness of this woman.. I don't know who with sound mind would vote for her.!!!!!!!!!
I would vote for a republican candidate or Obama any day!!!!!!!!!!
If she doesn't mind screwing Florida, she doesn't mind screwing the USA

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Indiana Muslims offended by 'Islamophobic' bill... 2 min BB Board 126
Boycott the Colts and the NFL 11 min Ha 4
News WWII vet knelt with the NFL players Sunday 53 min Ha 6
No Respect For The Handicap In Indiana 56 min workingstiff 17
Repeal Bill deal maybe 2 hr TrumpDemPlayers 1
More dems going to prison 2 hr TrumpDaPlayers 1
News Prosecutor: More funds needed to protect elderly 5 hr TrumpedGhettopoli... 2

Indianapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages