Tenants escape flames at Riverbend

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

Residents of a Northeastside apartment complex evacuated safely from an early-moring blaze in a three-story unit, fire officials said this morning.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of28
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Regina Phallange

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

Eight minutes later? Fire department is literally right up the street. Why did it take them 8 minutes to get there??
fire departments

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

Was the firefighter who was slightly injured really from the Lawrence Fire Department? 86th/Allisonville is no where close to Lawrence city limits. My guess is he was likely from the Lawrence TOWNSHIP Fire Department. They are two different departments.
Becky

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

anybody know the apartment number?
i live at riverbend and i slept straight through it!
Dave

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

Probably wasn't from the grills that they aren't supposed to have on the balconies an porches.
Itchy

Reston, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

Burning is normal for that place, although typically it's in the crotch region. It is part of herpes triangle :)
Tennant

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

Becky wrote:
anybody know the apartment number?
i live at riverbend and i slept straight through it!
I live there as well and I knew nothing of it. Must not have been along the 86th st stretch
2ndtime

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

Regina Phallange wrote:
Eight minutes later? Fire department is literally right up the street. Why did it take them 8 minutes to get there??
The Fire Department right up the Street is a Lawerence Fire Dept not an Indianapolis Fire Department. i can only assume the call came in to the Indianapolis Fire Dept.
Jen

Streamwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

I live on the 86th stretch and i drove by it today, its the part right by the 86th st gate, one of the tower ones. I didn't wake up at all either. crazy
backdraft

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

Smelled smoke at 9 pm....fire at 4 am... smoldered for a while! Guess its hard to tell incense from other burning things, legal or otherwise
firezach

Hampton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

2ndtime wrote:
<quoted text>
The Fire Department right up the Street is a Lawerence Fire Dept not an Indianapolis Fire Department. i can only assume the call came in to the Indianapolis Fire Dept.
Sounds like the first due department was lawrence twnshp. with mutual aid resources from IFD and possibly Fishers (station by airport)...just a guess tho :)
Nick

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

I was staying with friends following a concert and was woken up at 4:00 am by a police officer pounding on the door. The apartment was on of the first ones after you drive into the complex and take the first right. The third building to the right. I don't think I've ever seen such a strong blaze that close up before.
firezach

Hampton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

2ndtime wrote:
<quoted text>
i believe the MECA (Marion County Emergcy Comm Agency) does the dispatch for all of Marion County even if you aren't covered by IFD?
Strange But True

Jeffersonville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

That is IFD (old Washington Twp)first due area. Strange, but true. Lawrence Twp. and Fishers both would be on the initial alarm for mutual aid and any additional alarms. MECA (Marion County Emergency Communication Agency) using IFD dispatchers would have dispatched IFD and Lawrence Twp. Oh, and eight minutes at 4 a.m. is really pretty good. To test this, try setting your alarm clock for 4 a.m. getting yourself and at least three other members of your family dressed into the family van and out of the garage and onto the street. I'd imagine getting to the end of your block would probably take you eight minutes. Unless you've done it, don't knock it.
Snefferdoodle

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

Hey, Itchy! People laugh when I tell them about the herpes triangle. Thanks for remembering.

I live in Riverbend, too and didn't hear a thing. Apartment fires are one of my biggest fears. There is a tenant in my building with a gas grill and I have reported it twice to management. I hope they get rid of it!
Riverbend

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

I figured grills were allowed? I see them all over the complex on at least 50% of the balconies. I donít have one, and they do scare me just thinking about it.

Okk

Since: Jul 07

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

Snefferdoodle wrote:
Hey, Itchy! People laugh when I tell them about the herpes triangle. Thanks for remembering.
I live in Riverbend, too and didn't hear a thing. Apartment fires are one of my biggest fears. There is a tenant in my building with a gas grill and I have reported it twice to management. I hope they get rid of it!
haha please explain the herpes triangle
IceMountain

Walton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

I just moved from Riverbend and always worried about fires. There are grills everywhere. My building was particularly bad with people extinguishing cigarette butts in the grass, etc. Hopefully the complex will look into all of it and step up and take control.
Snefferdoodle

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

Okk wrote:
<quoted text>
haha please explain the herpes triangle
My understanding of the Herpes Triangle:

Back in the '80's all the apartments along Allisonville Road between 86th & 96th Street were built (with the exception of one that was built about 10 years ago). There were also fun bars to go dancing at in the Castleton area. Well, the apartments were full of 20-somethings who all went out drinking and dancing at the same places and they all slept with each other, thus passing herpes around to each other. It was a fun time, but apparently it had its consequences!
Snefferdoodle

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

Grills are not allowed at all. I just called the Fire Marshal's office. Grills in apartments are supposed to be 10 feet away from a combustible material. Our balconies are made of wood, therefore, no grills allowed!
Care

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

That is nice to know that the apartments are looking out for its residents.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of28
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

14 Users are viewing the Indianapolis Forum right now

Search the Indianapolis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Why do most Blacks hate Whites? (Jul '13) 7 hr yow 241
Hispanics deserve America more than my people 10 hr Give Him A Brain 2
Probation officer resigns in wake of Nathan Tra... 12 hr apextrude 3
Knockout Game in Broad-Robbers 15 hr Give Him A Brain 2
The truth always prevails 18 hr Meep 1
Officer Renn isn't dead 18 hr inverness 3
Pete the Planner: Students should resist urge t... 20 hr TheTruth 1
•••
•••