Officer kills armed motorist in struggle

Officer kills armed motorist in struggle

There are 448 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Mar 1, 2008, titled Officer kills armed motorist in struggle. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A motorist was shot and killed Saturday night by an Indianapolis metropolitan police officer after the man pulled a handgun in front of two officers during a Westside traffic stop, police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Spring Cleaning

AOL

#50 Mar 2, 2008
Scoreboard! Next!
Jeeper

Jeffersonville, IN

#51 Mar 2, 2008
Now that's GUN CONTROL. One shot, One kill.
Little Detroit

Indianapolis, IN

#53 Mar 2, 2008
tired wrote:
Why not keep the racism out of it? You do know the race of the driver? Most assume the the driver, and you have a right to assume, was black. You should make that assumption because the Indianapolis police that you are so proud of never seem to shot a white suspect.
Oh, and all of their shootings are always justified.
And to Mark, the Pacers are not bad because of the players the Pacers are bad because of comments from the news media and people like you. The Pacers Players you never hear about are driven home like the Hamilton County Principal. That was never suppose to make the news.
It's ez to blame the Pacers because they don't win. You can't tell me that the same wild stripper-fest drug orgys don't go on with the Colts. Maybe OUR wonderful cops look the other way when that happens since the Colts are generally white guys who WIN games??? Nothing would suprise me when it comes to money and privilege.

Since: Feb 08

Indianapolis, IN

#54 Mar 2, 2008
tired wrote:
Why not keep the racism out of it? You do know the race of the driver? Most assume the the driver, and you have a right to assume, was black. You should make that assumption because the Indianapolis police that you are so proud of never seem to shot a white suspect.
Oh, and all of their shootings are always justified.
And to Mark, the Pacers are not bad because of the players the Pacers are bad because of comments from the news media and people like you. The Pacers Players you never hear about are driven home like the Hamilton County Principal. That was never suppose to make the news.
And just what is your point?
Quigley56

Florence, AL

#55 Mar 2, 2008
There is a story with a lot of different content on channel 6. We still do not know the names or race of the shooter or the shot.

Since: Jun 07

United States

#56 Mar 2, 2008
donnyb wrote:
Was it a Pacer?
Alumni wrote:
<quoted text>no, a VW.
Bwahahaha
You've been a great crowd.Good night and make sure you tip your waitresses
mykidzmom

Greenfield, IN

#57 Mar 2, 2008
We need more of this to show the thugs who are in control!!

Since: Jun 07

United States

#58 Mar 2, 2008
john wrote:
Yeah that is the story and we are sticking to it.
what a Jack A@& comment. Feel how you want to about cops but NOBODY shoots a Cop in my town.
indy blues

AOL

#59 Mar 2, 2008
Near, north side , west side. east side, what color? Meadows area high class years ago, now what? bring the dogs in, Oh they are there now
Charles Darwin

Columbus, IN

#60 Mar 2, 2008
He's up for the stupidist way to leave this world. Pulling a gunon two uniformed officers. What away to make the day.

Firearm registered?

Why no visable plate while driving at night? Especially in the hood on 38th st. Was the guy from Memphis? I have purchased many vehicles NEVER EVER had a problem showing my plate.

In fact very cognizant of it until I get my permananet tag.

Good work officers. Glad you are safe for your wifes and children.

Sorry to the "armed motorist" as the Star would put it.
Jay in Indy

Circleville, OH

#61 Mar 2, 2008
Little Detroit wrote:
<quoted text>It's ez to blame the Pacers because they don't win. You can't tell me that the same wild stripper-fest drug orgys don't go on with the Colts. Maybe OUR wonderful cops look the other way when that happens since the Colts are generally white guys who WIN games??? Nothing would suprise me when it comes to money and privilege.
This article really has nothing to do with the Pacers, but, since it is part of the thread.....
The Pacers image has nothing to do with winning or losing on the court. There have been Colts players arrested for various things including domsetic battery, etc. but nothing that compares to the antics of a few of the Pacers. I don't recall hearing of a Colts player that beat up a handicapped man then fired shots ito the air outside a strip club. Can you name a Colts player that got involved in a shotout outside of the Conrad hotel risking the lives of innocent bystanders? How many Colts players have been arrested for ruffing up the manager of a nightclub (8 Second Saloon) for doing his job?
How many of the Pacers have donated enough of the millions they earn to charity so that a childrens hospital is named after them? I am not claiming that there are many saints in any professional sport but the difference between the Pacers and Colts as community citizens could not be more striking. The Colts have leadership, both on and off the field. The Pacers have no leadership from the front office to the basketball floor. Which group of players is sending a better message to the youth of this city?
Royal Amos

Oshkosh, WI

#62 Mar 2, 2008
tired wrote:
Why not keep the racism out of it? You do know the race of the driver? Most assume the the driver, and you have a right to assume, was black. You should make that assumption because the Indianapolis police that you are so proud of never seem to shot a white suspect.
Oh, and all of their shootings are always justified.
And to Mark, the Pacers are not bad because of the players the Pacers are bad because of comments from the news media and people like you. The Pacers Players you never hear about are driven home like the Hamilton County Principal. That was never suppose to make the news.
BOY... You are stupid...

Do you know what an apple is?
Do you know what an orange is?
Sam

Oldsmar, FL

#63 Mar 2, 2008
wondering wrote:
was the guy just surrendering his weapon that he may have had a permit to carry since it is OUR rightto have one or just the trigger happy GESTAPO thirsty for blood?
Surrendering? Really? I don't think surrendering means the police have to wrestle the gun from your hand. It's hard to believe how stupid this guy was. If he was really a permit-bearing, law-abiding citizen with a license plate that had fallen out of his window, it's likely he could've gone home just by buying some tape from the BP station.

Pulling a gun on the police is the last thing a legitimate permit holder would do. Pretty much suicide.
Dodge City Resident

United States

#64 Mar 2, 2008
One criminal down in Indy, thousands to go!
just validating truth

Algonquin, IL

#65 Mar 2, 2008
Why pull this officer off the street ? Political correctness ? He did what he is trained to do . We need him back on the street immediately .
Dan of Seymour

Elmwood Park, IL

#66 Mar 2, 2008
Once again...Fail to comply with an officer's lawful command, or do something stupid like this guy did, and whatever happens next is on YOU!...Good job, officers.
peace advocate

Indianapolis, IN

#67 Mar 2, 2008
WE WILL NEVER HEAR THE DEAD MAN'S STORY,WILL WE?
INDOT insomniac

Fort Thomas, KY

#68 Mar 2, 2008
Sleep well 2 night wrote:
From the UnTouchables:
Ness has just shot a gangster after the Canadian border raid...
Ness: I had to kill him.
Malone: Oh, yeah. He's as dead as Julius Caesar... Would you rather it was you?
Ness: No, I would not.
Malone: Well, then, you've done your job. Go home and sleep well tonight.
To the officers of IMPD: Thank you for confronting the dangers of our society that threaten me and my family every day and night.
Sometimes, although it is not pretty and doesn't look good on the evening news, you MUST kill the wicked to protect the innocent.
On behalf of ALL the innocent, I say THANK YOU.
What is innocence in today's society? I won't sleep well tonight knowing that people who do sleep well think the officers of an "organization" such as IMPD take care of all the innocents, while simultaneously "taking care of" a very insignificant percentage of the wicked. I hope that ISP gets to investigate the videotape from the sudden death of a member of the society we all live in.
Criminal Statistician

United States

#69 Mar 2, 2008
tired wrote:
Why not keep the racism out of it? You do know the race of the driver? Most assume the the driver, and you have a right to assume, was black. You should make that assumption because the Indianapolis police that you are so proud of never seem to shot a white suspect.
So you can provide crime statistics showing that the "motorist" is likely to be some other race?

Don't be ignorant.
Dog Lover

Fort Thomas, KY

#70 Mar 2, 2008
just validating truth wrote:
Why pull this officer off the street ? Political correctness ? He did what he is trained to do . We need him back on the street immediately .
IMPD brass playing by the rules.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fox News 5 hr Bye Sean 26
Mike Flynn Lied to Pentagon on Security Clearan... 7 hr nnono 5
News Man blinded in robbery awarded $4M (Sep '07) 11 hr IWasThere-lol 71
Carrier moving jobs to Mexico in spite of Trump... 18 hr Trumped Carrier W... 5
Loose lips sink subs 19 hr All Talk Donnie 2
Manafort, Stone Turn Over Russia Documents to S... 19 hr Trump Lawyers Up ... 2
Jeff Sessions is an Evil Little Elf 20 hr Fire this crook 5

Indianapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages