Gannett letting the Indianapolis Star...

Gannett letting the Indianapolis Star die

Posted in the Indianapolis Forum

local landlord

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Aug 5, 2014
Gannett announces it will separate its profitable digital and its unprofitable print businesses. It doesn’t take much vision to see that the Indianapolis Star doesn’t have much shelf life. The interesting question is what will replace it once Gannett tires of print and shutters the thinly disguised USA Today Indianapolis edition forever. I think Indiana University should publish the next Indianapolis daily newspaper as a hands on learning tool for its school of journalism students. It should be nonprofit, nonpartisan and cover local news. And it should honor the principles of the first amendment and freedom of speech as if Thomas Paine were alive and sitting on the board, including anonymous, registration-free public comments to any digital version. These are perilous times we live in. Indiana ought to secure its free press within our state borders, beginning with its ownership. We also ought to secure our coal and coal powered energy plants for later, emergency use. And we ought to take the State’s electricity off the national grid, like Texas, operating independently within our State borders and providing for the coal powered energy to keep it operational. This is a world in political transition. The things that matter to us should be secured within our borders, including an operational free press. Let Gannett go back to New York. It never served our greater interests.
Again

United States

#2 Aug 5, 2014
You do realize this diatribe is not going to give you credit on your master thesis.

Paragraphs. Practice.

Since: Aug 12

Fishers, IN

#3 Aug 6, 2014
To say that Gannett is cutting off the Star makes it sound like a bad thing. It's more like they are amputating a badly injured limb to keep gangrene from killing the whole body.

90% of the local news printed in The Star can be obtained for free from another source with the click of a mouse. There's no money to be made selling print copies of the exact same news that WIBC and WTHR are giving away.

The print version of the Star will eventually go down like Blockbuster Video. The customer base will continue to decline until there's not enough left to justify keeping the doors open.
more deaf than dumb

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Aug 13, 2014
The Indianapolis Star has been dying a slow death since The Indianapolis News went bankrupt and some of the reporters from there were taken in by the Star.

Gannett hastened this demise by making a poor business decision. They reasoned that since there were more liberals in and around Indy that they could sell more newspapers if they addressed that audience.
The problem was, though there are more liberals, they are less likely to buy or read a newspaper. Hence, circulation has continued to decline.

I cancelled my subscription after an ad appeared in the Star, about 1999, for "an editorial page editor" to "change the focus" of the editorial page. To my thinking , they might as well have added "conservatives need not apply".

With the "news" being two-day old reprints from The New York Times or The Los Angeles Times, The Indianapolis Star no longer sells a product I'm interested in buying.
Simple Simon

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Oct 15, 2014
Simon wrote:
I canceled when the Star kept running sob stories about the poor illegal mexihole future democratic voters that had broken into the US "in order to make a better life for themselves" crap.
Canceled when you couldn't afford it.

Since: Dec 06

Indianapolis

#8 Oct 17, 2014
profitable digital? All you have to do is type in the story titles and google it. It will bring the story printed in the IndyStar up. Click on it and you can read the story at no charge. Been doing that since they started charging for online. I would not pay a dime to read the IndyStar. They pushed gay marriage to the end and put it in the front page headlines. About are far left as one paper can get. If you want to know where the best places to get drunk at, just look in the IndyStar.
Chuckie

Scottsburg, IN

#9 Oct 17, 2014
DavidM wrote:
profitable digital? All you have to do is type in the story titles and google it. It will bring the story printed in the IndyStar up. Click on it and you can read the story at no charge. Been doing that since they started charging for online. I would not pay a dime to read the IndyStar. They pushed gay marriage to the end and put it in the front page headlines. About are far left as one paper can get. If you want to know where the best places to get drunk at, just look in the IndyStar.
what ? they writing about drinking at my house ? best place I know to drink and get drunk , pool table big screen swimming and the wife will dress and act the part as a prostitute and charge me if I want !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
employees desperately needed 53 min BigMike79 6
Another School Shooting 57 min truth2 25
News Fighting for Coverage: Patients caught in the m... 4 hr truth 3
A Young Stefan Halper Played The Role of Oswald... 11 hr truth 3
TruthBeKnown 11 hr truth 3
Bruce Kaityln Jenner 11 hr truth 2
News 1 dead, 1 hurt in apartment complex shooting 11 hr truth 6

Indianapolis Jobs

Personal Finance

Indianapolis Mortgages