Pharmacists' job is to fill legal prescriptions

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

The Indiana General Assembly is considering a bill that would give pharmacists the legal right to refuse to fill any prescription for emergency morning-after contraception, and for other similar medications ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of117
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Rex Bell

New Albany, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

Some politicians just don't get it.

http://rexbell.blogspot.com/2008/01/lets-get-...
Bill

Taipei, Taiwan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

"Regardless of how anyone personally feels about birth control or the morning-after pill, if a person has chosen to be a pharmacist by profession, that person should be compelled to fill all prescriptions. If doing so is repugnant to them on moral grounds, they should find new employment."

Amen
Maggie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

If they don't like doing their job for all, they should find another line of work.
Pill Popper

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

As long as they can not refuse to fill my pain meds, this is good news.
TV Boy

Decatur, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

A pharmicist not wanting to fill certain prescriptions is like a rodeo cowboy not wanting to ride any bucking horses.
RBW

Shepherdsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

To pill popper: Read the entire bill. If it passes, the pharmicist could refuse to fill your pain medication.

The sponsor of the bill kept referring to South Dakota during the hearing on the bill. Is that the state we want to use as an example?
Frustrated

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

There are enough laws to be voted on by the legislature already that need immediate attention. Quit wasting time with this one. Abortion is legal and no matter how the process is pursued, it is not the pharmacist's decision whether the prescription is to be filled or not. The doctors are STILL in charge, or the pharmacist is in the wrong profession.

“I know you are, but what am I?”

Since: Dec 06

That way...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

Jeff Drozda is a pandering hack. He's submitted bills like this in the past. In fact, that's about all he's done: submit politically and religiously divisive legislation.

This year, though, things are a bit different. Property Taxes and the attention to that legislation may have this bill pass under the proverbial radar.
Dennis_Daviess Co

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

Pill Popper wrote:
As long as they can not refuse to fill my pain meds, this is good news.
If they do quit filling your pain meds. I have found one that works real well and you don't need a script for either. It sure worked fore me and I was taking 6 Percoset 10/325's a day plus the Methadone that was added with it. If interested say something her and I will give you my web-site to get it from.
Mike

Russell Springs, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

The other day on these very pages, a citizen wrote as to his objection to property tax exemption for Churches. He didn't like being forced into subsidizing religion. Well, Jerry, perhaps some pharmacists don't like being forced into doing something against their beliefs.

You stated that, pharmacists chose their profession and should be compelled by law to do as government says. What about doctors who don't want to perform abortions? Should he/she be corerced by government to carry out abortions against their wills because they chose medicine as a profession? Your statement on this point is foolish.

Jerry, with a drug store nearly on every street corner, I'm sure a woman seeking the 'morning-after-pill', will have no trouble obtaining a vial of them. Also, if a drugist doesn't want to fill such a R/X, it is none of your business.
OverIt

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

KEEP YOUR religion out of MY LIFE. I have a real problem when someone tries to legislate religious beliefs. Perhaps if these religious groups are going to be "lobbying" a position in some form then they should loose the tax exempt status.
Average Near Eastside Guy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

This conversation is outta control. I cant believe were saying its ok for a person to go to work and then not do the job. Either you want to dispense drugs for a living or you dont.
If this kinda thing were ok, why then would a person who is a Christian Scientist not go and get a job as a pharmacist? Then he could go to work and read comics all day since his religion frowns on ANY MEDICATION. Do you all see now where this is going. Either do the job, or find a new one. Easy peasy...!
OverIt

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

By the way IF a pharmacist has a problem filling a legal prescription, then maybe he or she should go find another line of work or start their own pharmacy in their church.

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

And to you Mike who says it should be ok, simply because there are drug stores on every corner. You clearly dont have any idea what your talking about. In many rural communities there is only one stop sign, much less a pharmacy on every corner. An often small towns are riddled with religious fundies so its quite possible that even if there are 2-3 pharmacy's in a town, they might all just decide to get holier than thou. In essence denying a poor girl in a small town the right to medical care. No. You dont have that right. Sorry.
Citizen One

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

If a pharmacist takes the decision to refuse sales of a medication which his employer carries then it's time for that pharmacist to move on. It's obvious that he no longer has the best wishes of his employer or the patient in mind. They are certainly free to open their own pharmacy and set their own policies. Customers are also free to refuse to do business with them when those policies conflict with their medical needs.
The last thing we need is even more government interference in the market. Mr. Drozda surely has better things to do with his time than to offer up more big government legislation. Of course he is a Republicrat and they are well known for their big government proclivities.

Good article Rex! It does get right to the heart of the matter.
Driver 1

New Albany, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

Anyone with morals understands even if a law is valid it does not make it right. Drug stores are businesses, if they do not wish to sell a product they should not be required to. They should be required too post the drugs they will not dispense. If you do not like it do not patronize that business. The prescribing physician should be able too tell the patient of the local pharmacies that will not dispense that prescription at the time it is written. How many of you want to ban smoking in that same store even if every employee are chain smokers?
Justification

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

Indianapolitan wrote:
I concur with Average Near Eastside Guy.
The Christianists have no interest in values, this is about power and legislating their beliefs.
It's not "pro-life." Their actions clearly demonstrate that.
Any OB/GYN can refuse to provide abortion and its related services without necessarily impacting the overall quality of care.
This is a different situation. A Pharmacist is not a doctor or RN. S/He has no right to overrule a doctor or RN. Advise all you want, that is the task your oath calls you to do.
Why can't a pharmacist simply refuse to hand it out, if you feel this way? Why not take a stand? Afraid of the consequences? Why do we need this law?
If you are a supporter, please offer a justification for this law.
You suggest a pharmacist simply refuse to hand out the medication if they feel this way. The problem is that pharmacists have been fired for doing so, specifically with this type of medication. That is the point of this law.
Also, to reply to some of the posts about how it is not the responsibility of the pharmacist to override a doctor's decision, pharmacists have been fired and/or PUT IN JAIL for filling medications which harmed/killed patients or fueled an addiction. According to the United States court system, they have an equal amount of legal responsibility as the doctor and face the same consequences. This is why a number of other laws affecting pharmacy, including OBRA '90 which requires the offer of counseling for each new prescription/patient, are in place.
Look deeper

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

OverIt wrote:
By the way IF a pharmacist has a problem filling a legal prescription, then maybe he or she should go find another line of work or start their own pharmacy in their church.
This issue is deeper than just 'filling drugs'. Most pharmacists go to school for at least 8 years which means they receive just as much schooling as doctors and are educated individuals who are capable of making educated and ethical decisions. In fact, in most hospitals many doctors/residents are constantly calling the pharmacy to verify their treatment options in various situations, and it is the pharmacist's job to catch goof ups in the orders. In effect, this means that a pharmacist is responsible for getting orders changed which would be harmful to the patient(or a patient's unborn child). As for the birth control, different products work differently. Some allow the joining of the egg and sperm which many people believe is the beginning of life. To administer a drug or perform a procedure which ends the development of this life would be considered an abortion. Pharmacists are not druggists like they were 50+ years ago and are not there to just fill prescriptions as they were written. They are educated in professional schools to be health care providers and also take an oath to "do no harm". Also, while the option to refuse to dispense such medications may make it more difficult for a patient to receive them, birth controls and the Plan B are not critical to the overall health or to saving the life of the patient in most cases. So then what is to be done? Do we fully take away the choice of the professional on whether or not to terminate the development of a life? If so, do we then require all doctors to perform abortions just because it is difficult in some places of this country to find one that will? Do we allow both patients and healthcare providers to make their own decisions about non life-threatening forms of treatment? There are dozens of more questions to ask and aspects to face and it is important to remember that at the heart of this specific situation is the question of whether or not this medication would be TERMINATING A LIFE. Although this concept definitely involves faith/religious values, it also goes beyond them to our society's value of a life and the rights of individuals to either terminate or support it. Also, it has absolutely nothing to do with the tax exempt status of churches.
Chris

Whitestown, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

Indianapolitan wrote:
A Pharmacist is not a doctor or RN. S/He has no right to overrule a doctor or RN. Advise all you want, that is the task your oath calls you to do.
This is a very broad position to take towards a profession of skilled individuals. In my position working in a surgical ICU I have had to over-rule an uncountable number of quite "legal" physician orders that would have had certain catastrophic results. With the number of new drugs, synthetically produced human products, and other biotech innovations it is impossible for physicians to keep up with everything. Granted the current bill addresses a very different specific scope; however your sweeping statements are ignorent.

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

Justification wrote:
<quoted text>
You suggest a pharmacist simply refuse to hand out the medication if they feel this way. The problem is that pharmacists have been fired for doing so, specifically with this type of medication. That is the point of this law.
Also, to reply to some of the posts about how it is not the responsibility of the pharmacist to override a doctor's decision, pharmacists have been fired and/or PUT IN JAIL for filling medications which harmed/killed patients or fueled an addiction. According to the United States court system, they have an equal amount of legal responsibility as the doctor and face the same consequences. This is why a number of other laws affecting pharmacy, including OBRA '90 which requires the offer of counseling for each new prescription/patient, are in place.
As well they should be fired. Its called not doing your job. Pharmacists are not there to impose their moral judgement on others but rather fill the prescriptions of the customers. If they oppose any medication it is their option to not take it. What seems to be missed is what kind of precedent this sets for others to impose their religious beliefs. What about the other pharmacists, possibly the same ones, who want to refuse to hand out birth control pills? Does it also extend to condoms? What about in the small towns where options for alternative places to go are slim to none. It is conceivable that massive sections of N & S Dakota, Kansas, Idaho, Utah and even large areas of Indiana, would be a black out of not only morning after, but also "day Before" birth control, condoms and others. What about the teachers in these areas who refuse to teach responsible sex education. This is a self perpetuating nightmare. And all perpetuated by the same religious fundies.
In a one grocery store town, is it then ok for the Jewish butcher to refuse to give pork to his customers? What about the Catholic butcher to refuse meat of any kind on Fridays during lent? You see where this mentality goes. A persons moral prerogative is great.. But it becomes destructive and invasive when thrust upon the masses. The fact is this: We all have our own convictions. Right or wrong. But it is undeniably wrong to try and legislate morality from one specific point of reference. Whether its from the Bible, Torah or Koran. It seems that people who like to do these kinds of things always cringe when they read about radical Muslims enforcing Islam on non Muslims in other countries. What happened to Do unto others? I'm tired of hearing from those who wish to impose their religious righteousness on everyone telling ME, if I dont like it I can Leave... I submit to those people that our forefathers and OUR Constitution grant me as much as you, the right to my own faith or none at all.. If your religious convictions put you at odds with those constitutional principles I suggest that YOU leave and find a theocratic state that suits you best.. Might I suggest Vatican City.

Bottom line is.. If you are hired to fill prescriptions and you fail to do your job, for whatever reason.. you Should be fired.
The last thing we need is moral vigilantes delegating self-righteous health care!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of117
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

23 Users are viewing the Indianapolis Forum right now

Search the Indianapolis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Knockout Game in Broad-Robbers 21 min Ralph 3
Rebecca Driscoll 1 hr Curious 4
Ineptness 8 hr Big Phony Cop 1
Frontenac Street Lawrence Indiana 9600 block BU... 11 hr The Ultimate Kaptoz 2
They're Here 11 hr Black Ops 1
Chokehold them brothas 11 hr The Ultimate Kaptoz 4
Karen dehut Mon yearnin learnin 4
•••
•••